AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-02, 09:47   Link #661
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think that a lot of those posters over on MAL fully understand why Nichijou bombing is such a big deal.
Apart from destroying the myth that everything KyoAni touches turns to gold (I'm guessing the industry itself doesn't count Munto) it really hasn't done KyoAni any harm at all. The people who lost the most from Nichijou flopping was Kadokawa who have had a horrible 2011... the last hit they had was Strike Witches 2 from last year.. Aniplex have left them in the dust. Desperate times call for desperate measures... with the budget Kadokawa gave KyoAni for a 4koma adaption they were obviously looking for a hit... will Kadokawa be forced to pull the trigger on a 3rd Haruhi season...

Btw Kadokawa's greed in making this 13 volumes instead of the now industry standard 9 could've been a factor in this series selling as it did. Not a major factor but one regardless.

Quote:
It's not just that Nichijou bombed, per se, it's also that there's nothing else out there for KyoAni right now. Nothing at all. Most importantly, there's the context that this is all occurring in, given what we've seen in this calender year so far.
Sales for K-ON!! and the Haruhi movie rolled over into 2011, they've also managed to sell a lot of Bluray Box Sets for Lucky Star and Clannad After Story. The K-ON! Movie itself will be huge, not just in ticket sales but in regards to merchandise as well. A lot of studio's would kill to have a year as good as this....

Quote:
KyoAni needs to do something big and new (so, no, the K-On movie alone isn't enough) soon, or they risk getting completely eclipsed by A-1 and/or other anime studios.
A-1 are going to steam roll everybody when it comes to hits anyway at this point, it's not like KyoAni can keep up with the output A-1 can do anyway.... and A-1 is certainly not beloved like KyoAni and SHAFT are... Like TJR said "Consequently, they're simply an anime factory for Aniplex with no established identity." I agree with that 100% and I'm a fan of A-1.. and have been ever since Kannagi...

A-1 is the fastest rising studio in the industry because their parent company Aniplex is simply put the dominant production company of this time. In the last 4 years A-1 Pictures have made 7 shows that have broken the 10k barrier, in the last eleven Sunrise have done 12... (the most of any studio since 2000) and A-1 have Idolmaster and Working 2 to come... (Though tbf to Sunrise they also have Gundam AGE and Horizon, the latter which is ranking well on Amazon jp atm which is a good sign)

As for KyoAni needing to do something big and new.. yes eventually but you downplay the massive impact the K-ON! Movie will cause with not only ticket sales but cd singles, merchandise, increased manga sales and eventually BD and DVD sales of the movie. Now when it comes to something new it's not like KyoAni didn't turn small time 4komas like Lucky Star & K-ON! into massive hits, just because they failed once with Nichijou doesn't tarnish their record overall. Though if Kadokawa get desperate and insist on another Haruhi (for say Spring or Summer 2012) it's not like we'll see anything new from KyoAni until this time next year anyway at the earliest..... btw as much as some people like to think it, the Haruhi brand has not been tarnished by Endless Eight, the Bluray Box Set collection of Haruhi sold gangbusters (in excess of 30,000) and the movie performed really well. A third series is certainly going to sell closer to the first than the second... especially if the recent light novel sales are any indication....

Will be interesting to see what happens...

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-10-02 at 10:10.
Old 2011-10-02, 10:13   Link #662
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
with the budget Kadokawa gave KyoAni for a 4koma adaption they were obviously looking for a hit...
Nichijou is not a 4-panel manga. Its style is reminiscent of 4-panel manga, but it is skit-based like Minami-ke.

Quote:
Though if Kadokawa get desperate and insist on another Haruhi (for say Spring or Summer 2012) it's not like we'll see anything new from KyoAni until this time next year anyway at the earliest..... btw as much as some people like to think it, the Haruhi brand has not been tarnished by Endless Eight, the Bluray Box Set collection of Haruhi sold gangbusters (in excess of 30,000) and the movie performed really well. A third series is certainly going to sell closer to the first than the second... especially if the recent light novel sales are any indication....

Will be interesting to see what happens...
Just for Kadokawa (they don't distribute Key anime, for instance), a new Haruhi season is a possibility, but do you think they could delay it by producing a second season of Lucky Star? The Lucky Star anime was a financial success, but a second season might not fly in this day and age.
Old 2011-10-02, 10:24   Link #663
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Nichijou is not a 4-panel manga. Its style is reminiscent of 4-panel manga, but it is skit-based like Minami-ke.
Ah okay thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Just for Kadokawa (they don't distribute Key anime, for instance), a new Haruhi season is a possibility, but do you think they could delay it by producing a second season of Lucky Star? The Lucky Star anime was a financial success, but a second season might not fly in this day and age.
Well I don't see a second season of LS being a sales failure, after all this year the Lucky Star Bluray Box Set collection sold 8,524 copies. But the figure pales in comparison to Haruhi selling 34,000's boxsets (only 7k off from matching the sales of S1...) and Haruhi is very hot right now due to the movie and the release of the 10+11th Light Novels.

Quoting ultimatemegax from AOD

Quote:
Just a quick update from Kadokawa's 3rd quarter report. The Haruhi BD-Box and movie DVD/BDs sold over 2 billion yen combined.
So while Lucky Star will be a success, Haruhi is certainly the way to go for Kadokawa.
Old 2011-10-02, 10:40   Link #664
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Well I don't see a second season of LS being a sales failure, after all this year the Lucky Star Bluray Box Set collection sold 8,524 copies. But the figure pales in comparison to Haruhi selling 34,000's boxsets (only 7k off from matching the sales of S1...) and Haruhi is very hot right now due to the movie and the release of the 10+11th Light Novels.

Quoting ultimatemegax from AOD

Quote:
Just a quick update from Kadokawa's 3rd quarter report. The Haruhi BD-Box and movie DVD/BDs sold over 2 billion yen combined.
So while Lucky Star will be a success, Haruhi is certainly the way to go for Kadokawa.
I'd love to see more Haruhi, but I think releasing a 3rd season next year may be just a bit too soon. It's not like they don't have enough novel material for a whole anime season, but by the end of the season they will have exhausted their supply of source material and will probably have to wait longer than the wait between the 1st and 2nd seasons to continue the series.

Although if Tanigawa ends the novels around 12 or 13, a continuation can come sooner. I wouldn't know since I don't read the novels. If Tanigawa does have such plans, and he lets Kadokawa know, then releasing a 3rd season next year wouldn't be unwise.
Old 2011-10-02, 10:55   Link #665
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Quite a lot actually. At least 10 episodes are original episodes, as in contents from the manga are not used at all, regardless of whether its the same event or not.
What 10 episodes would that be?

Quote:
As for the rest, I say around 5 to 10 minutes(10 is pushing it for most episodes) are based on manga material. (e.g. Kyoani made a whole concert episode based on roughly one page of 4-koma manga)
Many/most episodes are based on a manga chapter but expanded upon in ways that made sense. This was as true for season 1 as it was for season 2, though.
Old 2011-10-02, 10:56   Link #666
Westlo
Lets be reality

What exactly have kyoani covered when it comes to haruhi? Anyone able to fill me in on that?
Old 2011-10-02, 10:57   Link #667
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
What exactly have kyoani covered when it comes to haruhi? Anyone able to fill me in on that?
Lucky Star
K-ON!
Key Visual Novels
Old 2011-10-02, 11:09   Link #668
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Judging from the novel summaries on this page (possible spoilers), they've covered novels 1-4, part of 5, and part of 6. Now that I think about it, there might be a way to adapt some of the remaining material in one season and still leave some more room. Anyone here read the novels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Lucky Star
K-ON!
Key Visual Novels
No.
Old 2011-10-02, 11:21   Link #669
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Really? I think they can, and should, just fall back on Key adaptations, at least for now.
Er, let me clarify what I meant there.

All I meant is that Nichijou is the only project that KyoAni has going for any period between Winter 2011 to Fall 2011. Basically, that's all they have for a full 12 month period. This much is known. We know that KyoAni did only Nichijou during Winter 2011 through Summer 2011, and we know that they're doing nothing in Fall 2011.

I certainly don't mean that there's nothing KyoAni can do after the K-On! movie (which is slated for this winter). Going to another Key property might be a wise choice, agreed.

Quote:
Agreed, except that Nichijou is really not the same type of 'moe' anime that K-On is. Nichijou is primarily a comedy that sacrifices characterization for gags, and it doesn't have nearly the same hinge on characters that shows like K-On and A-Channel do. It's hard to feel moe for characters that aren't even fleshed out properly. That is possibly the main reason it didn't sell well, but maybe it's also because it's a bad anime.
I get what you're saying here, but my point is a bit different than this.

Let me use an analogy here: Let's suppose Apple, the widely recognized King of smartphones and smart devices, basically took an entire year off from making new iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc...

During that off year, a couple upstart competitors started putting out new high-grade smartphones that sold like hot cakes, and took the market by storm.

How do you think the media would be reporting on this?

I can tell you right now that there would be several articles asking (either explicitly, or implicitly) "Is Apple's dominance in the smartphone marketplace being ate away by Company XYZ?"

I'm kind of surprised that similar questions aren't being asked more about A-1 (or even P.A. Works) vs. KyoAni.

I mean, the total number of hardcore otaku customers is not huge. You usually only get so many big sellers all at the same time.

Quote:

Btw Kadokawa's greed in making this 13 volumes instead of the now industry standard 9 could've been a factor in this series selling as it did. Not a major factor but one regardless.
Agreed.

Quote:

As for KyoAni needing to do something big and new.. yes eventually but you downplay the massive impact the K-ON! Movie will cause with not only ticket sales but cd singles, merchandise, increased manga sales and eventually BD and DVD sales of the movie.
How can you downplay an impact that hasn't even happened yet? I don't doubt that the K-On! movie will be a success, but I think we need to wait and see how it does before saying much concrete about it. Increased manga sales in particular seems a bit of a presumptive guess to me.

Quote:
Now when it comes to something new it's not like KyoAni didn't turn small time 4komas like Lucky Star & K-ON! into massive hits,
The point that I and some others have made is that KyoAni might not be able to do this any more. That, I think, is what the Nichijou sales may portend. That KyoAni can't turn (new) "small time 4Komas" into smash hits anymore. That they need to be choosy about what they adapt going forward.

Quote:
Though if Kadokawa get desperate and insist on another Haruhi (for say Spring or Summer 2012) it's not like we'll see anything new from KyoAni until this time next year anyway at the earliest..... btw as much as some people like to think it, the Haruhi brand has not been tarnished by Endless Eight, the Bluray Box Set collection of Haruhi sold gangbusters (in excess of 30,000) and the movie performed really well. A third series is certainly going to sell closer to the first than the second... especially if the recent light novel sales are any indication....
I think that the Haruhi brand itself has recovered from E8, but I'm less sure about the KyoAni brand.

Quote:
I'd love to see more Haruhi, but I think releasing a 3rd season next year may be just a bit too soon.
I respectfully disagree. It's been a long time since the Haruhi movie aired. I'd really like to see more animated Haruhi soon.

What I'd like to see from KyoAni in 2012:

Something big/new starting in Spring or Fall.

Another Haruhi season in Fall or Spring.

That's an absolute best-case scenario though, imo. But I'd like to think that KyoAni could handle a couple major projects in 2012.
Old 2011-10-02, 11:27   Link #670
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They could easily get another 14 episode season of Haruhi out of what is left from books 5 and 6 along with books 7 and 8. They mght be able to make a 28 episode season with the added material from books 9, 10, and 11, which is one story. But since books 9, 10, and 11 are one story, it might work as a movie instead...unless it is too long or complex, then it might need its own season to get all the details to work.

Or they can add in some of the extra materals to a make a 28 episode season with just books 5, 6, 7, and 8, and leave the long story for a fourth season...or book 12, in the hope that it will have some short stories to throw into the mix (depending entirely it they go chronological order or not again).

Book 7 is a full length story, while books 5, 6, and 8 are a collection of short stories. Book 9 and 10 (and 10b/11) are a full length story with multiple paths, so it will be interesting to see animated.
Old 2011-10-02, 11:44   Link #671
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Maybe KyoAni's idea of trying out something 'new' was Nichijou, where they relied solely on commedy? Perhaps going back to their old style/methods will make things better, such as VN adaptations, moe characters, etc. To take Triple_R Apple example, Apple should just stick with making better smartphones, etc, and not something else like HDTV's, imo.
Old 2011-10-02, 12:12   Link #672
Goggen

Quote:
Quite a lot actually. At least 10 episodes are original episodes, as in contents from the manga are not used at all, regardless of whether its the same event or not.

As for the rest, I say around 5 to 10 minutes(10 is pushing it for most episodes) are based on manga material. (e.g. Kyoani made a whole concert episode based on roughly one page of 4-koma manga)
Okay, obsessive as I am, I quickly looked through the episodes to see how many are based on the manga and how many are not.

Spoiler for Long and obsessive:
Final tally:
Episodes mostly based on the manga, with any KyoAni additions mostly being "more of the same" to fill out the episode: 10
Episodes partially based on the manga, with KyoAni changing the focus of/adding significant parts of the plot: 10
Fully original KyoAni episodes: 7
Old 2011-10-02, 12:30   Link #673
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Eh...somehow I think Nichijou suffered from the crime of association if it was more of a comedy and less moe'. Its trailer made it look a lot like its "predecessors" when it might have been better off being advertised as something for the general crowd.

4-koma adaptation or not, being slice-of-life-ish and having chibi-ish designs ala Lucky Star and K-On! didn't exactly do it any favors when its actual game was different from those two.
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2011-10-02 at 12:40. Reason: Clarification
Old 2011-10-02, 12:34   Link #674
Bri

Quote:
Apart from destroying the myth that everything KyoAni touches turns to gold (I'm guessing the industry itself doesn't count Munto) it really hasn't done KyoAni any harm at all. The people who lost the most from Nichijou flopping was Kadokawa who have had a horrible 2011... the last hit they had was Strike Witches 2 from last year.. Aniplex have left them in the dust. Desperate times call for desperate measures... with the budget Kadokawa gave KyoAni for a 4koma adaption they were obviously looking for a hit... will Kadokawa be forced to pull the trigger on a 3rd Haruhi season...
The Kadokawa group had a good fiscal year 2011 (3-31-2010 to 3-31-2011) and no profit warnings or serious problems mentioned in their 2012 Q1 report (9-8-2011). So I'm curious where this idea of a "horrible 2011" comes from.

The companies core business is still publishing and it's most important growth market over the last few years has been light novels. They state in these reports that the media division (turnover less then 20% of the company and not just anime) is a means to develop and promote their properties. Which explains the investment in new high risk content like Nichijou. It will be interesting to see how the show will impact the manga sales. Given that it will be aired on prime time now, I guess they still believe in it, even though it failed to succeed in the late night anime market. It wouldn't be the first time that a show becomes a succes after a failed innitial airing.

I agree on the Kyoani myth part.

Anyway for more info: http://www.kadokawa-hd.co.jp/ir/annu...nnual_2011.pdf

Q1: http://v3.eir-parts.net/EIR/View.asp...df&sid=1626206
Old 2011-10-02, 12:35   Link #675
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
I think that the Haruhi brand itself has recovered from E8, but I'm less sure about the KyoAni brand.
My impression of E8's impact on Kyoto changed after I started bringing Kadokawa into the picture, basically, the way I see it, Kadokawa earned a reputation as greedy trolls, which they confirmed with the Nichijou pricing.

However, I don't see much hate for Kyoto the past couple years. Rather, it just feels like fans aren't that excited about them anymore. They aren't "the next big thing" like they were for a few years. E8 could very well be a factor in that, but I think its easy to overestimate its importance.

You mention Apple. What's notable about Apple's success is that they've kept it up so long. I suspect that a large part of this success is because they've kept release even sexier and more exciting products - iPad, iPhone4, the new Macbook Air, etc. just to name the ones from 2010 on. KyoAni is different - Air and Haruhi blew people away, their subsequent shows have been popular but I don't they've had the same sort of "wow" effect that those shows did. The once exciting KyoAni has simply become the solid and reliable KyoAni - and E8 strikes me as only one part of that equation.

Nichijou's lack of success strikes me as a result of what's happened to the reputations of both companies, combined with what's happened elsewhere in the market. KyoAni isn't that exciting anymore, other properties in their targeted genres are (AnoHana, Idolmaster (like I said, the franchise alone guaranteed this would be big), Hanasaku Iroha), and the loyalists are pissed at Kadokawa.

For KyoAni to have been as exciting this year as they were a few years back, they would have neded to produce an AnoHana, Idolmaster, or Hanasaku Iroha - and Nichijou was not that show.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-10-02, 12:52   Link #676
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Er, let me clarify what I meant there.

All I meant is that Nichijou is the only project that KyoAni has going for any period between Winter 2011 to Fall 2011. Basically, that's all they have for a full 12 month period. This much is known. We know that KyoAni did only Nichijou during Winter 2011 through Summer 2011, and we know that they're doing nothing in Fall 2011.

I certainly don't mean that there's nothing KyoAni can do after the K-On! movie (which is slated for this winter). Going to another Key property might be a wise choice, agreed.
Quote:
I get what you're saying here, but my point is a bit different than this.

Let me use an analogy here: Let's suppose Apple, the widely recognized King of smartphones and smart devices, basically took an entire year off from making new iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc...

During that off year, a couple upstart competitors started putting out new high-grade smartphones that sold like hot cakes, and took the market by storm.

How do you think the media would be reporting on this?

I can tell you right now that there would be several articles asking (either explicitly, or implicitly) "Is Apple's dominance in the smartphone marketplace being ate away by Company XYZ?"

I'm kind of surprised that similar questions aren't being asked more about A-1 (or even P.A. Works) vs. KyoAni.

I mean, the total number of hardcore otaku customers is not huge. You usually only get so many big sellers all at the same time.
Sorry, I misunderstood your first point and ignored your second. Although I highly doubt that KyoAni will have much difficulty rejoining the competition if an effort is made, knowing the fanbases of Haruhi and the Key name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They could easily get another 14 episode season of Haruhi out of what is left from books 5 and 6 along with books 7 and 8. They mght be able to make a 28 episode season with the added material from books 9, 10, and 11, which is one story. But since books 9, 10, and 11 are one story, it might work as a movie instead...unless it is too long or complex, then it might need its own season to get all the details to work.

Or they can add in some of the extra materals to a make a 28 episode season with just books 5, 6, 7, and 8, and leave the long story for a fourth season...or book 12, in the hope that it will have some short stories to throw into the mix (depending entirely it they go chronological order or not again).

Book 7 is a full length story, while books 5, 6, and 8 are a collection of short stories. Book 9 and 10 (and 10b/11) are a full length story with multiple paths, so it will be interesting to see animated.
Thanks a lot for the info! It's nice to know that there is still plenty of material to adapt for at least 2 seasons.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. It's been a long time since the Haruhi movie aired. I'd really like to see more animated Haruhi soon.

What I'd like to see from KyoAni in 2012:

Something big/new starting in Spring or Fall.

Another Haruhi season in Fall or Spring.

That's an absolute best-case scenario though, imo. But I'd like to think that KyoAni could handle a couple major projects in 2012.
After reading Ithekro's useful comment, I agree wholeheartedly with this hypothetical plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Maybe KyoAni's idea of trying out something 'new' was Nichijou, where they relied solely on commedy? Perhaps going back to their old style/methods will make things better, such as VN adaptations, moe characters, etc. To take Triple_R Apple example, Apple should just stick with making better smartphones, etc, and not something else like HDTV's, imo.
Nichijou was certainly more daring than K-On was, and I don't think KyoAni did a bad job on it at all. In fact, some of the most interesting moments relied on a lot of dynamic movement, which was probably not nearly as effective in the manga. The animation was excellent, the music was wonderful, and the OP and ED were respectively insane and gorgeous. The problem I had with Nichijou was the type of humor, which failed almost all the time. KyoAni did their best job with a subpar manga.

From a marketing perspective, some unlucky factors doomed Nichijou. Was it an inappropriate timeslot? Overpriced BDs? Maybe otaku simply didn't like it? Who knows. But I don't think it was too much ambition, as 0utf0xZer0 says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
KyoAni isn't that exciting anymore, other properties in their targeted genres are (AnoHana, Idolmaster (like I said, the franchise alone guaranteed this would be big), Hanasaku Iroha), and the loyalists are pissed at Kadokawa.

For KyoAni to have been as exciting this year as they were a few years back, they would have neded to produce an AnoHana, Idolmaster, or Hanasaku Iroha - and Nichijou was not that show.
Old 2011-10-02, 13:36   Link #677
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
My impression of E8's impact on Kyoto changed after I started bringing Kadokawa into the picture, basically, the way I see it, Kadokawa earned a reputation as greedy trolls, which they confirmed with the Nichijou pricing.

However, I don't see much hate for Kyoto the past couple years. Rather, it just feels like fans aren't that excited about them anymore. They aren't "the next big thing" like they were for a few years. E8 could very well be a factor in that, but I think its easy to overestimate its importance.

You mention Apple. What's notable about Apple's success is that they've kept it up so long. I suspect that a large part of this success is because they've kept release even sexier and more exciting products - iPad, iPhone4, the new Macbook Air, etc. just to name the ones from 2010 on. KyoAni is different - Air and Haruhi blew people away, their subsequent shows have been popular but I don't they've had the same sort of "wow" effect that those shows did. The once exciting KyoAni has simply become the solid and reliable KyoAni - and E8 strikes me as only one part of that equation.

Nichijou's lack of success strikes me as a result of what's happened to the reputations of both companies, combined with what's happened elsewhere in the market. KyoAni isn't that exciting anymore, other properties in their targeted genres are (AnoHana, Idolmaster (like I said, the franchise alone guaranteed this would be big), Hanasaku Iroha), and the loyalists are pissed at Kadokawa.

Yeah, I think you've nailed it completely here.

In fairness, I struggle at times to evaluate KyoAni (and fan perception of them) because it's tricky to tell where Kadokawa ends and KyoAni begins. It's often tricky to tell where credit or blame should go to Kadokawa, and where credit or blame should go to KyoAni.

But I think you have a pretty good handle on it.
Old 2011-10-02, 14:04   Link #678
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, I really think they have nothing else to bank on and Haruhi's the safest bet to continue, to captialize on the good feelings left by the movie.

My overall impression of Haruhi is still positive, but honestly, I've lost most of my interest in it (and with it, any interest in Kyoto Animation). You can only string people on for so long...

If they don't do it within a year or so, Kyoto Animation will just register to me as a studio "that's done a few great shows, but is washed up and no longer relevant."

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-02, 14:53   Link #679
Bri

Quote:

[...]

Hmm, for Kyoani TV-series:

Pony Canyon and Movic

43,883 2009  K-ON!
39,385 2010  K-ON!!
24,808 2007  Clannad
19,883 2008  Clannad ~After Story~
18,170 2006  Kanon (2006)
24,436 2005  Air

Kadokawa

41,037 2006 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
29,146 2007 Lucky Star
19,064 2009 Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (2009)
14,641 2009 Suzumiya Haruhi-chan to Nyoron☆Churuya-san
*3,500 2011 Nichijou (rough estimate)

Upward sales trend for Pony Canyon/Movic productions, downward for Kadokawa. You may be on to something, altough we have to little data to be sure. Will be interesting to see the sales figures for the next TV-series by Pony Canyon/Movic. If those are near or over K-on levels we can blame Kadokawa sales practices, instead of the Kyoani "treatment" losing it's magic.

(Note: I left out FMP and Munto, the first was a joint production, the second a Kyoani owned work)
Old 2011-10-02, 21:00   Link #680
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

It's interesting how the thought process here seems to be convergent with the discussion on mania's Nichijou thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios