AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-27, 04:47   Link #1181
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
WTF was that ending?

Spoiler:
Err, i think you got something wrong..
Spoiler:
Old 2011-02-27, 05:26   Link #1182
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Well, yes,
Spoiler for hm...:

Spoiler for offtopic:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-02-27 at 05:46.
Old 2011-02-27, 05:48   Link #1183
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Spoiler for Re: meeting:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-02-27, 05:52   Link #1184
moncikoma

Is it
Spoiler for alto fate:

It feels like yuna and tidus ending ...
Old 2011-02-27, 06:01   Link #1185
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Ending thoughts

Spoiler:
Old 2011-02-27, 06:26   Link #1186
magnuskn

Bittersweet endings are about the most overwrought and overused cliché in anime to me.
Old 2011-02-27, 06:31   Link #1187
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Bittersweet endings are about the most overwrought and overused cliché in anime to me.
On the contrary, Maggie. Most people just don't know to end things properly, and say "screw this, have an effing happy end people, and let this series end. Happy nao?" Good, bittersweet end is so rare these days--I can count it with my hands per year if that's anything.

plus You can't say it is cliched if there are tons of happy ends flying in the sky compared to the end that made your heart broke with twinkle of hope

And if you're watching Madoka, you know deeeeeeeeep in your heart, there is this nagging feeling it just don't gonna end as well as you think, yo

Old 2011-02-27, 07:03   Link #1188
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
On the contrary, Maggie. Most people just don't know to end things properly, and say "screw this, have an effing happy end people, and let this series end. Happy nao?" Good, bittersweet end is so rare these days--I can count it with my hands per year if that's anything.

plus You can't say it is cliched if there are tons of happy ends flying in the sky compared to the end that made your heart broke with twinkle of hope

And if you're watching Madoka, you know deeeeeeeeep in your heart, there is this nagging feeling it just don't gonna end as well as you think, yo
Madoka is pretty much a given. But let's take a look at what I got on my HD drive at this moment in bittersweet endings. Blood+, Fate/Stay Night, Macross Zero, Escaflowne, Trinity Blood, Utawarerumono.

Sure, that ain't all of the anime I've seen over the last years, but there is really a pretty obvious pattern that a tons of anime endings are bittersweet, to the point that I personally see that as the clichéd ending.

I will say that with some shows of that little list the ending felt "earned", but there are cases where it is just put on top of the show, without much sense of it being there. Escaflowne comes to mind.

For me the second Frontier movie definitely doesn't feel, from what I've read, like it worked up to this kind of ending. It just...happened. And that doesn't sit right with me.

---

On another topic, anybody know what the reception of the movie has been so far on Japanese blogs and messageboards? The one person who said anything about that conveyed that the opinion was going in the direction of "WTF was that ending? Boooo!"
Old 2011-02-27, 07:06   Link #1189
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
For me the second Frontier movie definitely doesn't feel, from what I've read, like it worked up to this kind of ending. It just...happened. And that doesn't sit right with me.
Personally i think it's better if you wait and see the movie and it's ending for yourself before you make such a judgement. For all we know your opinion on the matter could do a complete 180.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:07   Link #1190
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Personally i think it's better if you wait and see the movie and it's ending for yourself before you make such a judgement. For all we know your opinion on the matter could do a complete 180.
I am going off the summaries we got by now. It definitely doesn't read like a greek tragedy waiting to happen.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:11   Link #1191
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Spoiler:
hmmmm... i agree it is the best ending i can think of...
it's so deep and really touching...

i just feel hard to let it end like that...at least for once i want to see sheryl smile, and keep singing... just like minmay sing DYRL before the ending...it just not enough words or song for a goodbye messege......
sayonara no tsubasa is the new song...but it doesnt count...because she sings with ranka..

what i mean is...MF need an iconic song just like DYRL...and what song is it?
there is none...because sheryl herself is the song..
but maybe it is different ... we cant compare it with DYRL. >.<
Old 2011-02-27, 07:15   Link #1192
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
hmmmm... i agree it is the best ending i can think of...
it's so deep and really touching...
Really? What's so "deep" about it? Saying "rocks fall, everyone dies" at the end of a roleplaying campaign is known as "bad GM'ing" where I come from. That's basically what Kawamori did to two of the triangle protagonists.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:19   Link #1193
moncikoma

Quote:
Really? What's so "deep" about it? Saying "rocks fall, everyone dies" at the end of a roleplaying campaign is known as "bad GM'ing" where I come from. That's basically what Kawamori did to two of the triangle protagonists.
i think it is deep because there is this hope "thing" ...

it is a true happy ending...but we need to use our imagination to see it through...

kawamori dont want to tell us that straight...
because it is more artistic that way..... he is cruel..to us sheryl fans ....i hate it too..

i think it would be best not to make an OVA to show the happy ending yet for a year or two..or a BD bonus scene..
..because it would ruin the epic moment..

but..i am still happy if an OVA will come out in the next 3 months ...
Old 2011-02-27, 07:27   Link #1194
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
Madoka is pretty much a given. But let's take a look at what I got on my HD drive at this moment in bittersweet endings. Blood+, Fate/Stay Night, Macross Zero, Escaflowne, Trinity Blood, Utawarerumono.

Sure, that ain't all of the anime I've seen over the last years, but there is really a pretty obvious pattern that a tons of anime endings are bittersweet, to the point that I personally see that as the clichéd ending.

I will say that with some shows of that little list the ending felt "earned", but there are cases where it is just put on top of the show, without much sense of it being there. Escaflowne comes to mind.
Maggie, you haven't done the comparing the amount part! "Cliched" will generally be accepted if there are so many, to the point of it becoming a predictable moveset if we're talking in Fighting game genre, of the certain behavioural patterns, when compared to all possible ways to do it.

And certainly, I can point out that on the other hand, I can easily find any endings without the bittersweet note for the romance part: (just for last 2 years) MM!!, Amagami all five arcs, Clannad (... I think that was 2 years ago, yes?), Toradora, Kimi ni Todoke (), and still counting...

Although you do can say that these are different genres and all, but my point will still be that most anime endings are not bittersweet if you think about it, and certainly is a far cry from cliched for me. I'm still waiting for UTTER TEAR JERK BAWWWW if you wanna know, since games can do that to me!

It's just feel right for me, this kind of ending I mean, for the end of Frontier saga, and for some reason, it just clicked for me Though hey, I'm oping for extended epilogue on BD release since I'm an optimistic masochist~

Old 2011-02-27, 07:27   Link #1195
magnuskn

Quote:
You're wrong about one thing: Ranka left because at that point in the series, the heartbreak had piled up with the visions of her parents dying, her planet being destroyed, and the lack of seeing either of them for a while; this caused her songs to have the OPPOSITE effect on the Vajra than before. So, taking into consideration the survival of the Frontier, she proclaimed herself the "spy" they were looking for and left. Her idea was that if SHE was the one the Vajra were after, then she would leave the Frontier, praying they'd follow HER and not the Frontier.

I admit, a bit of a stupid decision, but she had heart in it. She sacrificed herself to save everyone aboard the Frontier, hence her past tense in "I loved you" to Alto, saying "goodbye."
That, to say the least, is a very alternative retelling of what really happened.

Quote:
Sadly, you can't actually say she was stupid. She didn't actually know WHAT the Vajra wanted her for, only that they were affected by her songs and were after her. So, she made the only logical choice and left to end the war by going to the Vajra planet. I find sense and logic as well as selflessness in that choice.
I find that logic had almost nothing to do with her decision to leave.

Quote:
Alto, however, perceived it rather differently. But no, he was not about to kill her. He doesn't intend to kill her. And actually, the one who changed his mind was himself. He looks at Ranka's portrait and you can see he's having doubts. Technically, if you look at the scene where he says he'll come back to Sheryl, it's a lot like a "goodbye" scene. I think Alto knew it was life or death, hence how Kawamori loves to give the feel of a REAL war being waged. Think of 300 if you will for this logic.
That also is a very alternative reading to what happened in the series.

Quote:
But as a final word, I kinda have to pinpoint this out, but didn't it seem odd to you that the same scene was repeated? But instead of it being Sheryl, it was Ranka.
The scene that Ranka confesses to Alto and he rejects her, she says "don't tell me or I won't be able to sing" is the same as Sheryl's. But instead of a kiss (which Alto did not move in Ep25 for Sheryl), she says "promise me" and he actually hugs her. I figure this is Kawamori's way of saying "both of you get a go." I also see this as kinda a troll move, because honestly he has Alto say he loves Sheryl a few seconds/minutes later. That makes it looked quite rushed to me. From one romantic scene to the next... really doesn't sound right.
Also, I don't understand why they released the artbook for Ranka unless they wanted us to break down and go "WHAT!? She didn't win!?" and then throw the books out like "f*** you, Kawamori!" Honestly, they did kinda take us Ranka fans up and then drop us like a rock. For one thing, that kinda hurts ALL of our feelings.

PS: Plus, AruSherri fans in Japan were NOT happy. I have a feeling that Kawamori's inbox is full of hate e-mails saying "why this ending...!" with crying faces. You see, not just AruRan fans were affected.
I think if we want to further discuss this, let's move it to the Ranka thread, we are way OT here in this section. I might not be at my best, though, it seems I catched a nasty cough and I need to leave the house in a few hours, anyway.

Quote:
I kinda also agree with you magnuskn. From what I've read and heard about the movie, both movies don't really work up to "let's kill some of the main characters now!" It didn't seem like it should be that way. The ending happened out of the blue. Which is why I say Kawamori was rushed and also didn't really want to do AruSherri as an ending because you mostly got your AruSherri in Ep22-24. Honestly, Kawamori seemed to put that "I love--" *shot* part in a way-too-convenient-to-be-realistic place. So, I'm gonna stick with my earlier post that Kawamori felt rushed and went with what the studio wanted, to do AruSherri and gain more money.

Should I have put spoilers around that too?
As this is a spoiler for the movie, yes, you should. I draw different conclusion from you, however, about the bittersweet ending of the second movie. More in the vein of "haha, screw you fans, because I am Kawamori!" Not because of an anti- SxA agenda.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:31   Link #1196
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
i think it is deep because there is this hope "thing" ...

it is a true happy ending...but we need to use our imagination to see it through...

kawamori dont want to tell us that straight...
because it is more artistic that way..... he is cruel..to us sheryl fans ....i hate it too..

i think it would be best not to make an OVA to show the happy ending yet for a year or two..or a BD bonus scene..
..because it would ruin the epic moment..

but..i am still happy if an OVA will come out in the next 3 months ...
Given that this ending kinda duplicates other endings in the Macross franchise, I don't think it is even near a "true happy" ending. Given the evidence of what happened to Hikaru, Misa, Minmay and Shin, I think we will never get a true resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Maggie, you haven't done the comparing the amount part! "Cliched" will generally be accepted if there are so many, to the point of it becoming a predictable moveset if we're talking in Fighting game genre, of the certain behavioural patterns, when compared to all possible ways to do it.

And certainly, I can point out that on the other hand, I can easily find any endings without the bittersweet note for the romance part: (just for last 2 years) MM!!, Amagami all five arcs, Clannad (... I think that was 2 years ago, yes?), Toradora, Kimi ni Todoke (), and still counting...

Although you do can say that these are different genres and all, but my point will still be that most anime endings are not bittersweet if you think about it, and certainly is a far cry from cliched for me. I'm still waiting for UTTER TEAR JERK BAWWWW if you wanna know, since games can do that to me!

It's just feel right for me, this kind of ending I mean, for the end of Frontier saga, and for some reason, it just clicked for me Though hey, I'm oping for extended epilogue on BD release since I'm an optimistic masochist!
It all depends on what shows one has watched over the years. For me, the bittersweet and non-conclusive stuff has far outweighed in its number the series which were had a proper ending. Hence me seeing clichés at work.

And as I said, many of those shows "earned" their bittersweet ending, but a few did not. The second Macross movie seems to be in the second category.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:36   Link #1197
moncikoma

Quote:
Y

PS: Plus, AruSherri fans in Japan were NOT happy. I have a feeling that Kawamori's inbox is full of hate e-mails saying "why this ending...!" with crying faces. You see, not just AruRan fans were affected.
if they are not happy....it is good news....
means kawamori will have no choice but to make a FINAL APOLOGY CONCERT at budokan + a special 20 minute OVA...sold exclusively @the event...

@magnu

i think shin x mao nome
hikaru x misa

Spoiler for uh:

WE need an interview from kawamori quick..!
Old 2011-02-27, 07:37   Link #1198
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Kyaaa!!! So everything is finally resolved! Don't know why but somehow the smell of victory can be felt when I try to breath in very deep :3

Wait, what happens to me Brera? Someone spoil me please? Don't make me venture few pages behind, it's painful, ya!
Old 2011-02-27, 07:42   Link #1199
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
It all depends on what shows one has watched over the years. For me, the bittersweet and non-conclusive stuff has far outweighed in its number the series which were had a proper ending. Hence me seeing clichés at work.

And as I said, many of those shows "earned" their bittersweet ending, but a few did not. The second Macross movie seems to be in the second category.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, since we're talking with personal experiences in this matter

And I'll say this though, whether it is "earned" Though honestly I dunno what earned here means since you know, subject differences in liking something or not, don't judge it with just the summary first, see it with your own eyes first and feel the effect of the movie.

And even if you're sad later, I think our nitpicky, manipulator Queen of Fail cheesie will be happy to try to force some of her pseudo boytoys to cheer you up... Somehow. Eep.

Old 2011-02-27, 07:44   Link #1200
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Hm. As a general rule, whenever you see someone tout a character as "the most important," just mentally addend a "to me" just after. You'll spare yourself a lot of unnecessary arguments that way.

Spoiler for Ending summary thoughts:
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song