AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-17, 11:04   Link #301
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
A question for the tank experts in the thread.
Do the tank commander of Panzer IV really kick the driver on the direction they want to go?
While I didn't know about that particular tradition until the Girls Und Panzer manga (which was released before the anime), the manga version of the "kicking" tutorial actually mentions that kicking to command direction was something the Japanese did since their tanks were so small, and the commanders can usually reach the driver with their foot. On larger tanks though, I'd think you'd be better off using radios to command the driver.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 11:07   Link #302
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

But isn't the radio is just for communicate between tank or something? I didn't think the radio is use for internal communication.
Old 2012-10-17, 11:20   Link #303
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
While I didn't know about that particular tradition until the Girls Und Panzer manga (which was released before the anime), the manga version of the "kicking" tutorial actually mentions that kicking to command direction was something the Japanese did since their tanks were so small, and the commanders can usually reach the driver with their foot. On larger tanks though, I'd think you'd be better off using radios to command the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
But isn't the radio is just for communicate between tank or something? I didn't think the radio is use for internal communication.
If you are tall enough maybe can, but short people can't kick far to the driver...
Old 2012-10-17, 11:25   Link #304
4Tran

I have to correct my earlier bit of misinformation. Radios can double as intercoms, and they would be present in most armies. Even tanks without radios would equip either intercoms or colored light systems for passing messages.

Here's some of the equipment that can be seen inside a Churchill; the communication gear is pretty neat:

http://churchilltank.com/tank/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
That seems better than the way the Japanese aircraft had to communicate with each other.
Old 2012-10-17, 17:58   Link #305
Liddo-kun
is this so?

To those who answered the question about kicking, thanks for the information.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2012-10-17 at 18:08.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 21:19   Link #306
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Crossposting my thoughts on the instructor from another board:

Listening to the introduction, when the instructor is introduced, I hear her referred to as "Chouno Ami-ichii". Looking at her rank tabs, she's what the JGSDF would call an Itto-kuni, or what the rest of the world would call a Captain.

Curious. Military rank and uniform, and driving a modern MBT. Wonder if she had a crew - unless she crawled from the driver's compartment out the commander's hatch.

Or maybe the commander's console has a driver remote ala BF3 . That said, if you have a TC, it is possible to dispense with a gunner - I know the Cold War-era M1 tanks with the 105mm gun had a tank commander's override that allowed them to take control of the gun and turret away from the gunner, so I presume this was carried on with the M1A1 and M1A2. Also, been reading Team Yankee by Harold Coyne. Interesting book on cold war tank warfare, and it's apparently a fanfic for General Sir John Hackett's The Third World War.

That said, this is hardly ideal; TC's job is to maintain situational awareness and fight the tank; if the TC has to take control from the gunner, things are not going to go well.

I think more likely she does have a crew, but they're sticking with their tank; the company CO has a tank of his own, in addition to his command vehicle, but he's not always with his tank, especially when he goes off to do officer things at battalion.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 21:34   Link #307
Insane
Banned

So commanders kick their driver’s shoulders when they want to turn. Felt sorry for Hana learned it the hard way. And speaking of commanders Saori with glasses was really cute.

Just wondering, shouldn’t that tank in the water be extremely rusty?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 21:44   Link #308
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I've heard about kicking/nudging before, however I'm quite sure it was never as hard as it was shown. Poor Hana!

However, she did say "Kick with all your might"

Endless "That way!" Soul
Old 2012-10-17, 21:56   Link #309
Insane
Banned

I just realized something. Instead of Mercedes in the manga, the principal has a Ferrari instead. Ferrari rocks, man!

But there's something bugging me. Why the hell the Director enjoyed Ferrari cars being wrecked by a 44 ton behemoth? Something must be wrong with her.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 21:57   Link #310
Pen3

Looks like a F-40 in fact. The last few sold for ~$600k.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 22:08   Link #311
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

the animation is great especially for tanks and the characters are cute
Old 2012-10-17, 22:23   Link #312
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
But there's something bugging me. Why the hell the Director enjoyed Ferrari cars being wrecked by a 44 ton behemoth? Something must be wrong with her.
What's wrong? Being the 1% percent.
Old 2012-10-17, 22:57   Link #313
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 02 - Pocketanks (Weapon Packs Optional)

These comparisons are definitely well-warranted - we already have our counterpart to Teru the Whirlwind. I wonder, if this does well enough, will there be a Girls & Panzer episode of side-A? Of course, that also implies there's a counterpart to Toki somewhere out there in this world. Come to think of it, Miho doesn't have a Nodoka analogue yet, but I'm going to keep on hoping. With all these girls around, there's bound to be yuri somewhere.

I'm going to rely on Yukari to help me understand what the hell's going on here. A walking trivia bank like her should come in handy for people like myself. Chouno's entrance was notably over-the-top, and she seems like a pretty cool person herself. I was wondering why our main characters were lacking the fifth member of their team, but the end of the episode answered that question. Mako's apparently sleeping right in the middle of a warzone. Probably going to be forced onto the team from the looks of things.

The ending theme with the SD girls and the SD tank is cute. The melody is nice, too.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 23:45   Link #314
PzIVf3

Quote:
Do the tank commander of Panzer IV really kick the driver on the direction they want to go?
Not like that in the series. Only selected crew who has a knowledge and skills can pass to become a member Panzer unit.

Mostly all Panzer crew wears headphones and a throat mic. connects to the radio operator.

It depends if the communication break down or power loss they do simply by only tapping their shoulder or to shout or if the loader is sleeping they usually kick him in the head.

Last edited by PzIVf3; 2012-10-18 at 00:01.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 00:44   Link #315
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Part from wondering how on earth that tank in the cliff got there in the first place, I'm really enjoying this show. Guess girls and tanks works for me.

Images
Tank cleaning stitch
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 04:31   Link #316
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
[B]With all these girls around, there's bound to be yuri somewhere.
yes with all these girls there are probably at least one that is "Yuri" if yes which one?

and who knows maybe they are ALL yuri
Old 2012-10-18, 05:59   Link #317
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Do this girls ever go home to their parents..?

Anyway... exciting battle,. They're really using live ammos????

Yeah, I hope I will not see one of them to actually die (if possible since its live ammo).... LOLS

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-10-18 at 07:03.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 06:46   Link #318
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Not like that in the series. Only selected crew who has a knowledge and skills can pass to become a member Panzer unit.

Mostly all Panzer crew wears headphones and a throat mic. connects to the radio operator.

It depends if the communication break down or power loss they do simply by only tapping their shoulder or to shout or if the loader is sleeping they usually kick him in the head.
That's some nice additional info.

*gives cookie
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 07:16   Link #319
Sol Falling

Wow...there are some aspects of this series which are just fucking retarded but I'm only laughing my ass off in response. This anime is fun as heck. I was kinda thinking that the characterization of the other girls on the main team were one-dimensional and flat, but I love the other groups of girls, who all seem to have interesting dynamics already. The volleyball team trying to revive itself, the pretentious group acting out historical characters, etc. In this sense ep. 2 was really great.

I do have to say that the animation/character movement is kinda really fucked up, lol. That one sequence with Miho skipping to her room after coming up the stairs, or the sleepy girl's movement while walking to school, namely.

I felt like all realism had been thrown out of the window already when one group found their tank in a crevice in the side of a cliff they had to rappel down to get to. So long as they keep things fun, though, I guess I'm giving this series leeway to do whatever the fuck it wants.

Ep. 2 was great. I'm liking this a lot.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 12:56   Link #320
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The volleyball team sure has bad taste in tanks though. I do wonder what part of the tank seems to be well made.
Well, I'm going with the, "The tank looks tough, and these girls have never touched a tank before" excuse. They don't yet know how crap it is. :P

That said, again, I like them. It's a combination of them being the best-looking team *cough* and them having a very good motivation.

Quote:
Sure, you'd always want the best gun in a game, but I'd rather see fun weapons in the show. The L24 has both HEAT and canister rounds, so it's pretty darned cool.
True enough, I've just a preference for long-barreled guns, or the overly short and fat "derpy" ones like the M-10 Howitzer, though. :P

Quote:
I'd prefer a mix of mostly mediocre to decent design with just the odd really good tank than just to have good designs in the show.
I must confess, one of my favorite tanks is the T-35. Positively horrid tank, but I'd like to see it filled to the brim with Russian Panerkrafterins, all 11 of 'em. The idea that a Russian group has enough to throw around that they can have half the Protag school's Panzerkraft manpower riding in the same vehicle, it might prompt some intimidation.

Or just utterly stupid designs like an actual K-Wagen showing up.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks