AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-21, 20:43   Link #441
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I finally watched this movie, as I was kind of waiting for it to be close to Christmas before watching it, since I felt that it might add to the overall mood of the movie if I watched it around the same dates as when the movie's story takes place.

First of all, it was an exceptionally solid job by Kyoto Animation. More than anything else, that's what stood out to me - just that there was no flubs or holes anywhere to be found here. I think that the overall animation quality and visual presentation was just right. Truthfully, I was worried that they might overdo it a bit, and make it seem a bit too glamorous and overly slick given that these are high school settings, and high school students, that we're talking about here after all. I think that a certain "everyday" feel would be lost, which would make it harder to immerse oneself into the movie's narrative, if the overall look and feel of this movie was a bit too pristine and shiny.

But it wasn't. It was just. right.

Kyoto Animation has a spectacularly superb sense for dramatic timing, for knowing just when to add a little bit extra visual depth, fluidity, magic, or spice to a particular scene. As a lover of drama and suspense, this is not something I can stress enough. There is a downright Shakespearean quality to how Kyoto Animation handles its visual and audio presentation. It never misses a beat. It never misses a good opportunity to make a character look good or enchanting or mysterious. What is so intensely incredibly impressive here is how Kyoto Animation actually does this for each and every major character in this movie. Even Taniguchi and Tsuruya are given moments to truly shine, and leave the viewer with a great sense of their characters. And it practically goes without saying that the entire main cast are all handled with such amazingly astute aplomb. All of them have moments where they're simply beautiful and/or gallant. This movie does so much to make Haruhi seem very charming, to make you feel so deeply for Nagato, to make Mikuru look so innocently lovely, to make Koizumi look so, well, fabulous , and to make Kyon seem like such a well-rounded character with an inner Kamina battling it out with an inner cynic.

What I particularly mean by this is that every now and then in this movie, there is something that I would call a "blossoming" eye-catching scene. It is in these scenes where the movements of the characters involved are natural and realistic, yet strangely and paradoxically captivating and exotic. A good example of this is a scene in which we see Haruhi doing an athletic jump in her gym clothes. In such a fitting way given the very nature of this anime and light novel's content, Kyoto Animation has a real gift for making the mundane seem dashing and exciting.

Now, there's one particular character that this anime did such an unreal job with, that even goes above and beyond what I've mentioned so far. And that character is Ryoko Asakura.

I don't say this often, but I am literally blown away by how well Kyoto Animation handled her. They actually made her seem every bit as important, menacing, threatening, and theatrical as The Joker from Batman!

I mean, Asakura is not that good of a villain, really (Kogetsu Shirogane has frequently joked at her general ineffectiveness ), but Kyoto Animation made her seem simply sensational in that role.

So, simply put, the visuals and the audio in this movie were flawless. They were magnificent. They were not too flashy (unless the moment rightfully called for it), and they were just exactly what they should have been.

Now, as for how well the adaptation was... here again, I am amazed by how well it was handled. What amazes me is not just that it was a faithful adaptation, which was probably to be expected. What amazes me is not just that it added some elements that made it stand apart nicely from the source material, which many people (including myself) would hope for. What amazes me is that Kyoto Animation actually does both, without either detracting from the other, and that is almost unbelievable.

Somehow, while being almost perfectly faithful to the source material, Kyoto Animation manages to smooth over many of the rough edges of the narrative. By that, I mean, while I did like the original novel version of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, there were a few genuine issues I had with it. There were a few scenes in the novel were Kyon seemed overly reckless, or where Haruhi seemed overly harsh, or where I just found it very hard to swallow when it came to basic suspension of disbelief. Kyoto Animation somehow brings this novel source material to life, with almost perfect faithfulness, but while filtering out most of those issues that I had with the novel source material.

For example, they made the scene where Haruhi wakes up next to Kyon's hospital bedside and goes on to actually punish him for daring to get injured ( ), seem so much more charming, and humorous, and lovely. When I read this scene before, I thought Haruhi was just horrible here - I mean, how can you treat a close friend that just woke up from a several days long coma that harshly? But by having her hilariously pratfall around the bedroom in that sleeping bag of her's, and by subtly hammering home (!) how embarrassed Haruhi is, and by having her give this knowing teasing smile while telling Kyon about the punishments he's about to receive, it just makes this scene feel entirely different and so much better to me than it did in the novel.

So, whereas I would give the novel version of this a 9/10, I actually give the anime movie adaptation a higher ranking - it kept (or enhanced, as Ryoko "The Joker" Asakura demonstrates) all the good parts, while smoothing out the rough edges of many of the not-so-good parts, to make this movie a true masterpiece.

10/10 for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya anime movie.

Absolutely astoundingly awesome job. Complete and total bounceback from Endless Eight. Best comeback I've seen since the 1993 Montreal Canadiens came back from down 2-0 to the Quebec Nordiques in the 1st round to go on to sweep the rest of the series, win 12 straight playoff overtime games, and win The Stanley Cup. A similar championship performance by Kyoto Animation!

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-12-21 at 20:59.
Old 2010-12-22, 00:12   Link #442
Fran~
floating away...

It's really difficult to me post here because of 2 things:

1. I had not read the books... so i have weak basis to participate in this forum
2. The incredible amount of analysis... i would say almost "evangelionic levels"

Well... but this movie... and the franchise in general made think why i like anime and manga. It's so f*cking awesome how they can catch your attention for almost 3 hours, even expecting what comes after the credits!.

I just love Sugita's work... i mean, i'm not into the Yuki's lovers or any girls. I watch this franchise only to hear Kyon's speeches, to see his reactions (the one when he knew finally where to find Haruhi was superb).

KyoAni is just there to catch Gainax and its minions in terms of quality, but it's like to make an option between Chocolate or Vanilla Icecream.

Now i'm a sad panda, i really want to read the books, i think that i will make the effort because i don't think i will have enough life to wait for another seasons/movies of the franchise.

When i was watching the movie i felt what i felt a lot of years ago when i was watching Back to the Future II and III... i didn't feel it when i watched the Tanabata episode, but now it was different, everything was fitting here and there... flawlessly, i even could think in what happens after the stabbing scene. After that i got a scene from Evangelion (Kyon thinking about his decision)... and all in one movie... from Marty McFly to Shinji Ikari?... are you kidding me... only in Japan!.

I don't know what else to say... i would like to make a lot of questions, but they are pointless because the answers are in the books.

Final words, leaving all the characters aside and focusing on the whole, i would say that Haruhi is one of those franchise that are a milestone in the History of the industry, perhaps isn't a original idea (it took a lot of ideas from here and there), but the way they constructed Haruhi's Universe is so freaking awesome that is almost scary, how they linked everything there is an incredible job... i salute all the people who works for the franchise (books and anime).

Sorry for the wall of text... but Haruhi deserves them... every single wall of text here
Old 2010-12-22, 00:26   Link #443
Ushima

You know, i've never even watched the show before. My friend called me over and said "this movie has good reviews so we gotta watch it."

so i went over there to watch this movie. He had to explain some of the stuff like who the characters were and what they did, but overall i understood the plot. and i gotta say, i really enjoyed it. The movie makes me want to watch the show. So, im going to watch the show

..but my friend told me one thing.

Spoiler:

So i'll avoid that lol
Old 2010-12-22, 02:21   Link #444
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Absolutely astoundingly awesome job. Complete and total bounceback from Endless Eight. Best comeback I've seen since the 1993 Montreal Canadiens came back from down 2-0 to the Quebec Nordiques in the 1st round to go on to sweep the rest of the series, win 12 straight playoff overtime games, and win The Stanley Cup. A similar championship performance by Kyoto Animation!
No, No, No, No, No! Time out for a second here. I'll stand for the rather over the top praise of the movie and production that I obviously completely disagree with on just about every level imaginable (though I admit I got a good kick out of how you went from the faint praise of "exceptionally solid job" at the start while describing how they played a subdued presentation with the film to the definitive "Absolutely astoundingly awesome job" [hot damn! ] by the end....as if describing two completely separate interpretations/reactions to the film), I'll even allow you to say that Kyoto Animation managed to rescue the franchise a bit from a wasted effort at a second season, but I'm not going to sit here and let you compare Kyoto Animation or this slog of a movie to my Habs.....especially not the 1992-1993 Stanley Cup Champion version featuring Patrick Roy, Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne, Vincent Damphousse, John Leclair and Guy Carbonneau (to name a few heroes) that stared Wayne Gretzky in the face and said "sorry Great One, this year is ours". There is simply no comparison to be made here to the raw grit, determination, effort, earnestness and ability to play as a cohesive team that that version of The Habs demonstrated.

The only thing this movie and Kyoto Animation could possibly have in relation to the Montreal Canadiens is the play style of current roster defenceman Hal Gill. Big and obvious as hell, and every so often a spectacle when in their own zone and blocking initial shots taken at them, but oft slow, lumbering, lacking in creativity with the play, and incapable of getting much done in many other situations such that they end up a minus about as often as they end up a plus.

I'd compare Kyoto Animation and their efforts with the Haruhi franchise more to the current Toronto Maple Leafs season. They got/get off to a great start (Haruhi Season 1, Kanon and the beginning of just about every series they do), but quickly found themselves falling behind the opposition's game (works) and regularly play a lacklustre second period (Haruhi season 2, Lucky Star, Clannad, Munto, K-On and the middle portions of just about every series they do) such that they start to fall behind in the overall game. Then near the end they make an effort to get back into the game and score some decent goals (Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Clannad After Story and the final episodes of just about every series they do), but usually due to some key mistakes and the fact that they don't compete for a good chunk of the game they end up ultimately losing anyway. Also comparisons could be made to them waffling as a creative force and deserving to have me throw some waffles at them in the form of the critiques that I do, but really I see their potential and want them to get over their slump and take the league (collective anime industry) by storm again like they did at the start of their season.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-22 at 03:50.
Old 2010-12-22, 06:05   Link #445
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No, No, No, No, No!
Ha ha ha! Well, as you probably know, I raised the 1993 Habs here because I myself am a huge Habs fan. This is the first time in a long time that something I'm a fan of reminded me even in the slightest of that simply magnificently marvelously Montreal Canadiens team.

Quote:
Time out for a second here. I'll stand for the rather over the top praise of the movie and production that I obviously completely disagree with on just about every level imaginable (though I admit I got a good kick out of how you went from the faint praise of "exceptionally solid job" at the start while describing how they played a subdued presentation with the film to the definitive "Absolutely astoundingly awesome job" [hot damn! ] by the end....as if describing two completely separate interpretations/reactions to the film)
Well, let me be clear that while I gave this 10/10, I wouldn't call it the best anime of all-time (Haruhi would need to have a lasting impact on par with NGE for me to even consider that). What I require from an anime to give it a 10/10 is as follows:

1. I have to personally thoroughly enjoy the entire show. At no point do I feel annoyed or bored or frustrated. This is nigh impossible for a TV series to achieve due to sheer length, so a movie has an inherent edge here I admit. This is also very subjective, of course.

2. The production values need to be at least on par with True Tears, or the show has to at least have a good excuse for not having production values that good (such as being from the 90s or earlier).

3. Visuals, audio, settings, and characters have to collectively "feel right" to me. They have to come together in a way where everything flows well and simply fits. This movie isn't as pretty as Gundam Unicorn is, I'll admit. But then, given the subject matter, I don't think that it should be. (Gundam Unicorn itself, though, is right to look as good as it does - great mechas should look that good)

4. No plot holes jump out at me. In other words, I'm able to follow the plot without too much difficulty, and there are no glaring plot inconsistencies. I'll admit that this movie can really strain a person's suspension of disbelief, but internally it makes sense (i.e. it makes sense in a world as strange as the one Kyon is in). Edit: In fairness, my familiarity with the novel source material for this movie probably gives the movie an edge here. I already know the basic plot layout for this story, so I only need the movie to give me slight cues and reminders for each new plot point in order to follow it. I'm not sure how easy the plot would be to follow for someone who hasn't read the novel. I will say, though, that given the sheer length of the movie, Kyoto Animation probably did all it could to make the plot easy to follow for first-time viewers.

5. None of the characters feel superfluous or wasted to me. Every character is there for a reason, and every named character gets a chance to shine or at least be useful to the plot and/or theme (if there is one) in some way, shape, or form.

6. If the anime has source material (sometimes it doesn't of course) and if I'm familiar with the source material, then I have to feel that the adaptation is either very faithful to it, or if changed significantly, that the changes make the story at least as good as the original, if not better. As my review of this makes clear, I'm not one to think that it's absolutely impossible for an anime to actually exceed the quality of its original source material.

7. If there's any sort of theme to the story, it needs to be conveyed well.

This movie hits all 7 for me. But, of course, the main hurdle is the 1st one, and that is also very subjective.

Quote:
I'll even allow you to say that Kyoto Animation managed to rescue the franchise a bit from a wasted effort at a second season, but I'm not going to sit here and let you compare Kyoto Animation or this slog of a movie to my Habs.....especially not the 1992-1993 Stanley Cup Champion version featuring Patrick Roy, Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne, Vincent Damphousse, John Leclair and Guy Carbonneau (to name a few heroes) that stared Wayne Gretzky in the face and said "sorry Great One, this year is ours". There is simply no comparison to be made here to the raw grit, determination, effort, earnestness and ability to play as a cohesive team that that version of The Habs demonstrated.
Ok, maybe I went a bit too far there. In fairness, this movie didn't have contemporary competition on par with The Great One. It wasn't going up against anything like Code Geass, after all.

Quote:

The only thing this movie and Kyoto Animation could possibly have in relation to the Montreal Canadiens is the play style of current roster defenceman Hal Gill. Big and obvious as hell, and every so often a spectacle when in their own zone and blocking initial shots taken at them, but oft slow, lumbering, lacking in creativity with the play, and incapable of getting much done in many other situations such that they end up a minus about as often as they end up a plus.
LOL! Love the Hal Gill comparison. Inspired one on your part.

But comparing Kyoto Animation to the hated Leafs when talking to a fellow Habs fan - that's cold, dude. Still, I see some of your points.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-12-22 at 06:17.
Old 2010-12-22, 06:40   Link #446
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ha ha ha! Well, as you probably know, I raised the 1993 Habs here because I myself am a huge Habs fan. This is the first time in a long time that something I'm a fan of reminded me even in the slightest of that simply magnificently marvelously Montreal Canadiens team.

Well, let me be clear that while I gave this 10/10, I wouldn't call it the best anime of all-time (Haruhi would need to have a lasting impact on par with NGE for me to even consider that). What I require from an anime to give it a 10/10 is as follows:

1. I have to personally thoroughly enjoy the entire show. At no point do I feel annoyed or bored or frustrated. This is nigh impossible for a TV series to achieve due to sheer length, so a movie has an inherent edge here I admit. This is also very subjective, of course.

2. The production values need to be at least on par with True Tears, or the show has to at least have a good excuse for not having production values that good (such as being from the 90s or earlier).

3. Visuals, audio, settings, and characters have to collectively "feel right" to me. They have to come together in a way where everything flows well and simply fits. This movie isn't as pretty as Gundam Unicorn is, I'll admit. But then, given the subject matter, I don't think that it should be. (Gundam Unicorn itself, though, is right to look as good as it does - great mechas should look that good)

4. No plot holes jump out at me. In other words, I'm able to follow the plot without too much difficulty, and there are no glaring plot inconsistencies. I'll admit that this movie can really strain a person's suspension of disbelief, but internally it makes sense (i.e. it makes sense in a world as strange as the one Kyon is in). Edit: In fairness, my familiarity with the novel source material for this movie probably gives the movie an edge here. I already know the basic plot layout for this story, so I only need the movie to give me slight cues and reminders for each new plot point in order to follow it. I'm not sure how easy the plot would be to follow for someone who hasn't read the novel. I will say, though, that given the sheer length of the movie, Kyoto Animation probably did all it could to make the plot easy to follow for first-time viewers.

5. None of the characters feel superfluous or wasted to me. Every character is there for a reason, and every named character gets a chance to shine or at least be useful to the plot and/or theme (if there is one) in some way, shape, or form.

6. If the anime has source material (sometimes it doesn't of course) and if I'm familiar with the source material, then I have to feel that the adaptation is either very faithful to it, or if changed significantly, that the changes make the story at least as good as the original, if not better. As my review of this makes clear, I'm not one to think that it's absolutely impossible for an anime to actually exceed the quality of its original source material.

7. If there's any sort of theme to the story, it needs to be conveyed well.

This movie hits all 7 for me. But, of course, the main hurdle is the 1st one, and that is also very subjective.

Ok, maybe I went a bit too far there. In fairness, this movie didn't have contemporary competition on par with The Great One. It wasn't going up against anything like Code Geass, after all.

LOL! Love the Hal Gill comparison. Inspired one on your part.

But comparing Kyoto Animation to the hated Leafs when talking to a fellow Habs fan - that's cold, dude. Still, I see some of your points.
It's funny because probably nobody else has any idea what we're talking about with the Hockey comparisons.

Well anyway, nice to see some clear cut criteria laid out here, though I'm not sure if I used the same criteria I could come to the same conclusions as you did I absolutely love being treated with the set of standards somebody based their impression on. You didn't have to go to all that effort since I was mostly irked about the comparison to Les Habitants, but it sure as hell earns you even more of my respect.
Old 2010-12-22, 09:15   Link #447
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
is it just me, or is long haired pony tailed haruhi roughly 49% sexier ?
Old 2010-12-22, 10:36   Link #448
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
is it just me, or is long haired pony tailed haruhi roughly 49% sexier ?
I'd say it's closer to 36%.
Old 2010-12-22, 11:31   Link #449
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I'd say it's closer to 36%.
charm and sexy isn't exactly the same thing

look at the scene where she's looking out the window of the SOS clubroom.
anything less then 42 is unacceptable.
Old 2010-12-22, 13:50   Link #450
RedWing

With the amount of time travel and time jumps, isn't everything already predestined? If Yuki knew she was going to change the world, then I assume her higher ups knew it too, so how/why can they punish her? If Kyon decides not to go back to do whatever it is he did then what happens?

Was it predestined that he would choose to go back? What time line is he now in? Is there even truly an original timeline? How does this show handle paradoxes?

Let's not beat around the bush, Kyon carries the entire Suzimiya Haruhi universe, all the other technobable and plot twists are poorly explained, but the inherent character of Kyon is the only real reason this movie could stand as anything. Kyon's internal monologue is laid bare so clearly to us for that very reason, I really couldn't care less for any of the cliched characters or their 'motivations' (lol), but I definitely winced when Kyon got stabbed. Yuki too, although she was overly moefied for most of the show did you really think "oh, I wonder how she's doing, is she happy?" - No, you were probably thinking how Kyon would react to the change (or lack of) in character. And that's why everything in this show rides on Kyon, not just because he s the main character, but because he is the only real person in the show, with real thought and feelings, rather than the characterisation of a cliched trope.
Old 2010-12-22, 14:16   Link #451
chickdigger802

All I can say is.

Kyoani should make more movies.
Old 2010-12-22, 14:38   Link #452
revive4563

Well, I think that talk about a plot hole or something in the time travel movie is senseless.
In fact, nobody knows what happens.
Important thing is Yuki as shy girl is super cute.
Old 2010-12-22, 14:43   Link #453
Hoklidays

I loved this movie, thought it was really good, but was anyone else disappointed with the sort of lack of resolution with alternate Yuki? It really bums me out that her story wasn't really wrapped up as fully as I would've liked.
Old 2010-12-22, 15:20   Link #454
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoklidays View Post
I loved this movie, thought it was really good, but was anyone else disappointed with the sort of lack of resolution with alternate Yuki? It really bums me out that her story wasn't really wrapped up as fully as I would've liked.
Resolution? She's deleted. How much more resolved can things get?
Old 2010-12-22, 15:51   Link #455
Kirarakim

I really loved the movie. It was my favorite anime that came out in 2010 (which isn't saying much because for me 2010 was a very dry year for anime).

I see a lot of people saying poor Yuki. I am not sure I agree with that. Well I guess poor Alt. Yuki but my interpretation is not only did Kyon choose Haruhi's world I think he also chose Yuki just as she was already. He doesn't want Yuki to be a normal girl. I think Kyon is happy with SOS Yuki just the way she is and now on top of that he understands her a bit more.
Old 2010-12-22, 17:24   Link #456
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I see a lot of people saying poor Yuki. I am not sure I agree with that. Well I guess poor Alt. Yuki but my interpretation is not only did Kyon choose Haruhi's world I think he also chose Yuki just as she was already. He doesn't want Yuki to be a normal girl. I think Kyon is happy with SOS Yuki just the way she is and now on top of that he understands her a bit more.
Well, the fact that Kyon understands how Yuki feels doesn't change that she feels that way. It's still awful for her to have the person she cares about most condemn her to the original world, especially when she wanted the new one so badly.
Old 2010-12-22, 17:31   Link #457
Kirarakim

Quote:
Well, the fact that Kyon understands how Yuki feels doesn't change that she feels that way. It's still awful for her to have the person she cares about most condemn her to the original world, especially when she wanted the new one so badly.
That's not the way I see it. I think it is a positive ending for Yuki to have Kyon say he prefers her the way she really is not the imaginary Yuki that Yuki thought Kyon would like.
Old 2010-12-22, 19:15   Link #458
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
That's not the way I see it. I think it is a positive ending for Yuki to have Kyon say he prefers her the way she really is not the imaginary Yuki that Yuki thought Kyon would like.
I can understand that. However, Yuki did not recreate the world for Kyon; she did it for herself. The choice she gave Kyon was not whether or not the world should be changed in the first place, but rather whether or not that change would be reverted. The difference is an important one.
Old 2010-12-22, 19:39   Link #459
Hoklidays

Well, I guess to just get rid of her so abruptly and off-screen feels empty to me, especially since I took a liking to her character.
Old 2010-12-22, 20:00   Link #460
Goggen

Quote:
I can understand that. However, Yuki did not recreate the world for Kyon; she did it for herself.
And yet, people call Kyon selfish.
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya