AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-28, 14:02   Link #161
Seihai
スマイリウム

Well, whether how traumatized you become really depends on how sensitive you are towards said "trauma". At that point it doesn't matter how small of an issue it is.

Musujime Awaki, Level 4 Teleporter from Index. Had the potential to become a Level 5. She received her trauma when she miscalculated coordinates and got her leg stuck in a wall. Because of naivity she just pulled it out as she thought it was a minor issue instead of using teleportation to escape. She got her foot out and several seconds later saw that she had sharp pain, her leg's skin was ripped off. Ever since she can only teleport herself now for a limited time, and every time she does, she feels like puking. However, her leg healed up completely fine afterwards, she lost her chance to become a Level 5 though.
Minor issue? Yes. So what? Would you seriously consider it to be "wangst"?

Well, if that example is no good. What about claustrophobia? I mean, come on, panicking when you're in a cramped location? Logically, you shouldn't fear something like that, no? So that's wangst, too?

And btw. you forgot to mention that Sayaka did experience technical death due to the SG. Is technically dying (or maybe it's some kind of short lifeless coma, we don't know for sure) a minor issue? If it is, is it automatically wangst?
Old 2011-02-28, 14:11   Link #162
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
You have a fair point, but Awaki has her trauma because of what she personally experienced. Sayaka's trauma is based entirely on what she was told.

If you can live your life happily without being told something is different, then we'd have to question whether that difference is meaningful enough to cause trauma. In my opinion, it isn't. It's like if I told someone, "Hey, that girl you've been crushing on? She doesn't actually like you." And then said person, despite having no intention to ever approach and ask the girl, breaks down and goes into an emo-spiral. I'm sure many of us here would have some sympathy, but ultimately hardly consider it a trauma.

So perhaps some might consider it major; I don't. It's a piece of bad news, but we humans get pieces of bad news every single day, and yet most of us get on with our lives.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 15:19   Link #163
Seihai
スマイリウム

Hm yeah, I don't exactly consider it a trauma either. I guess it's just a matter of how well you're able to walk in the character's shoes. I'm actually on your side, Kaijo. I feel for Sayaka, but she's been very stupid. The only difference is probably that I still like her more than you do.
Old 2011-02-28, 15:46   Link #164
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Heh, I do still like her; as I've said before, her mistake is simply being in a cynical series as opposed to an idealistic one where she'd fit right in. I did admire her decision to use her wish for another, choosing a path she knew would lead to endless combat, but also that she was following in Mami's footsteps to protect the people of the town. The decision was a bit hasty, but I understand her reasoning; she didn't want to regret losing someone again, if there was something she could do about it.

Her only real issue in my opinion, is getting too bogged down by the soul/body thing, and thinking that she can't be with Kamijou despite that. How many shows have we seen, where one person in the coupling makes the decision, "Oh, I can't be with my love because of *insert reason here*. So I will go away or kill myself instead." Only to have the other person later go, "Why did you make that decision all alone? Why not let me decide that!?"

So perhaps that helps sum up my feelings quite a bit.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 19:09   Link #165
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post
Spoiler:

it seems the witch on madoka's dream is not sayaka,

then who ?
I thought that the witch was Madoka; which is one of the reasons Homura so desperately tries to stop her from becoming a MG - They are probably friends in her timeline, so killing your friend wouldn't be so easy .. And of course, since Madoka would become so increbily powerful, I guess her powers as a witch would be equally enermous.
Remember how many times Homura repeats how much Madoka will be hurt and how that can hurt others again.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 22:36   Link #166
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
The nightmare Witch has some pretty obvious design influences from Sayaka's Magical Girl form, though

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:Ep1_Sayaka_Witch.png

which currently leaves me with two major theories:

1. We've all been reading far too literally into Madoka's vision, and the Witch could have Sayaka-like characteristics simply to foreshadow Sayaka being corrupted into some monstrous form. In other words, the Gear Witch prophecy may have already been fulfilled, and the Final Boss is going to be something completely different.

2. The Final Boss will have multiple "modes," each reminiscent of the Magical Girls Madoka has bumped into during the course of the series. We're only shown its Sayaka-based form so Sayaka's transformation is foreshadowed while the Final Boss Witch's full abilities can remain a surprise.

But idunno.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2011-03-05 at 04:30.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 05:51   Link #167
venk
Agent of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
The nightmare Witch has some pretty obvious design influences from Sayaka's Magical Girl form, though

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:Ep1_Sayaka_Witch.png

which currently leaves me with two major theories:

1. We've all been reading far too literally into Madoka's vision, and the Witch could have Sayaka-like characteristics simply to foreshadow Sayaka being corrupted into some monstrous form. In other words, the Gear Witch prophecy may have already been fulfilled, and the Final Boss is going to be something completely different.

2. The Final Boss will have multiple "modes," each reminiscent of the Magical Girls Madoka has bumped into during the course of the series. We're only shown its Sayaka-based form so Sayaka's transformation is foreshadowed while the Final Boss Witch's full abilities can remain a surprise.

But idunno.
Obvious ? i don't think so.

sayaka's MG form using cloak, and on that walpurgisnight witch head isn't a cloak.

sayaka's MG costume design different to walpurgisnight clothes.
sayaka's SG design is more like crescent moon, and the thing around the witch shape more like magatama or 6/9 number

witch sayaka is dead.

Spoiler for :

that's scene come before sayaka become a witch

venk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 20:05   Link #168
Hagoshod
Banned

Hey, you know what I just realized?

There's a slight chance either of the two guys on the train may have one of the Junko Iwao character's previous boyfriends.

Maybe Sayaka was a warrior of justice after all.
Old 2011-03-09, 01:21   Link #169
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Hey, you know what I just realized?

There's a slight chance either of the two guys on the train may have one of the Junko Iwao character's previous boyfriends.

Maybe Sayaka was a warrior of justice after all.
Huh? I completely don't know what you are saying. What is Junko Iwao character's previous boyfriends?
Old 2011-03-09, 03:02   Link #170
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Huh? I completely don't know what you are saying. What is Junko Iwao character's previous boyfriends?
He's talking about Madoka's wallflower'd teacher, who (presumably past the age of 25 -- the "Christmas Cake" age) got dumped by men all too often and then the next day vents off her anger/frustration about it right before the class.

In the train, Sayaka thought that the one of the men was the one who dumped her teacher, as he and his drinking buddy derisively talked about women.
Old 2011-03-09, 04:20   Link #171
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
The character used in the picture for this video
Spoiler:
is played by Junko Iwao.

As sa547 explained, the first episode of Madoka establishes that this character is the victim of several mean ex-boyfriends toying with her and then dumping her.

In episode 8, during the train scene, Sayaka's final straw of humanity is broken when she bumps into two rather vulgar men discussing their misogyny, with one of them being especially noted for his advanced experience in casually dumping women.

Given the timing and the common setting, either of Sayaka's potential murder victims could have potentially been one of the evil ex-boyfriends responsible for leaving Madoka's teacher scorned and alone.

Therefore, even on the verge of becoming a Witch, Sayaka was working as a warrior of justice. You might find this statement disturbing, or you may feel it's an incredibly warped sense of justice, but it's still justice when you're an obnoxious Junko Iwao fanboy who always has to sit on a high horse.
Old 2011-03-09, 17:31   Link #172
Kazu-kun

Oktavia (witch Sayaka) card:

The witch of the Mermaid. Her nature is love attachment. The witch's domain is that of the concert hall that deeply moved her long ago. Her wheel of fate bears the load of only her memories and no longer rolls towards the future. Nothing can reach her for she no longer wants to know anything. Now she merely does not forgive those who interrupt the performance of her underlings.
Old 2011-03-09, 18:06   Link #173
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Oktavia (witch Sayaka) card:

The witch of the Mermaid. Her nature is love attachment. The witch's domain is that of the concert hall that deeply moved her long ago. Her wheel of fate bears the load of only her memories and no longer rolls towards the future. Nothing can reach her for she no longer wants to know anything. Now she merely does not forgive those who interrupt the performance of her underlings.
Interesting...

I wonder if Witch Sayaka was a threat at all then?

I mean, I wonder if she could have just been ignored and left alone.

Also interesting that witches don't keep their original human names apparently. So "Charlotte" could have had any sort of name, for example.
Old 2011-03-10, 01:50   Link #174
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mean, I wonder if she could have just been ignored and left alone.

Well the descriptions on the official website don't generally make witches sound all that threatning

Here's charlotte's description:

Quote:
The witch of desserts. Her nature is tenacity. What she desires is everything. She will never give up. Though she is capable of creating infinite amounts of any dessert she desires, she is unable to make the cheese that she loves most. If you have a piece of cheese, you can easily catch her off-guard.
And we know what ended up happening with her.

If you leave her alone,some humans will get lost in her barrier and that is dangerous especialy due to her minion:
Quote:
"A minion of the witch of the mermaid. A hollow orchestra that plays music for the witch. Anyone who listen to their music too long will have their soul taken away. "
Old 2011-03-10, 05:33   Link #175
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

GOD

PLEASE HELP US

THIS

MANGAKA IS

DOING

THE

REAL

SHiT

*Comics is using exactly the same script/screenplay that original animation did.
Spoiler for Crazy Sayaka here.:
Old 2011-03-10, 05:55   Link #176
Hagoshod
Banned

Yes, the manga is generally gorier in its depiction of major events.

This isn't that much of a surprise.
Old 2011-03-10, 06:16   Link #177
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

^ Your heart must be made of steel for not screaming on it.

Because I did. ;__________________;
Old 2011-03-10, 08:53   Link #178
Seihai
スマイリウム

Damn, she so needed a hug.
Old 2011-03-10, 15:46   Link #179
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
^ Your heart must be made of steel for not screaming on it.
I'm the guy who wrote Terrible Things Happen to Akane.

I can take it.

Also, crossposting from the episode 10 thread:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-03-10, 18:49   Link #180
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I somehow doubt that Homura wanted Sayaka to become a Puella Magi. She seemed sorry when she killed her in that other timeline.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters