Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-22, 18:27   Link #661
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
They made an interesting, though understandable, departure from the book. The Tyrels in the book were plotting to get Sansa married off to the eldest Tyrel brother, Willas. I'm guessing since we haven't seen Willas in the show yet, they opted to have Loras come up to bat...which has all sorts of interesting implications considering that Loras is well, rather uninterested in women.

I still can't quite begrudge the Tyrell's though. Not when the alternative is Baelish, or someone like him making moves on Sansa. Sansa's problem right now is having too many men interested in her, so this is still a setup up for her.
The problem I have with the Loras change is that it creates a plot hole. Members of the King's Guard cannot marry.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 18:30   Link #662
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The problem I have with the Loras change is that it creates a plot hole. Members of the King's Guard cannot marry.
He's hasn't done it long enough to qualify for the no marriage clause... maybe? Haha. You are right. They took the easy way out of introducing a new character and casting a new actor.
Old 2013-04-22, 18:45   Link #663
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
That is...somewhat of a problem.

Though I suppose the way that Selmy got *honorably* retired has somewhat set a precedent breaking the tradition of Kingsguards being positions you can't stepdown from. Maybe that's what Maegery has in mind?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 19:06   Link #664
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

But Loras is not a member of the Kingsguard yet.
He is in Renly's Kingsguard but I doubt that it counts.
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 19:14   Link #665
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Omg, Dany didn't even wait long to turn the city to rubble .

Btw I can't remember, where exactly was that slave city? They already crossed the sea, but they can't already be at Westeros can they? Meaning, they will still have to transport that 8000 (was it?) men by boat to King's Landing or nearby? Or is it really just a long march there now? And how will Dany deal with provisions of an army that big I wonder.
Old 2013-04-22, 19:17   Link #666
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Omg, Dany didn't even wait long to turn the city to rubble .

Btw I can't remember, where exactly was that slave city? They already crossed the sea, but they can't already be at Westeros can they? Meaning, they will still have to transport that 8000 (was it?) men by boat to King's Landing or nearby? Or is it really just a long march there now? And how will Dany deal with provisions of an army that big I wonder.
No. She's still on Essos. She used the boat to go to another part of the Essos continent.
Old 2013-04-23, 09:37   Link #667
james0246

What a wonderful episode. GoT too often finds itself wandering around its own fictional universe, providing details but little context, or context but few details, so it is nice to see an episode that is firing on all cylinders, providing relevant information with overarching universal context. From Varys machinations (the reveal of the sorcerer in the box would have earned him the title of badass of the week if it weren't for Dany roasting some poor schmuck alive), to Dianna Rigg and Dany doing everything in their power to become the coolest people in existence, not to mention the mutiny in the Night's Watch, and Arya kicking ass. Hell, even Theon gets a fun character beat in an otherwise stalling storyline (hopefully Theon's storyline will take a rest for the rest of the season). The only problematic storyline was Bran's, and that's more a problem of trying to adapt a very unadaptable storyline.

Still, great direction, some wonderful character beats and a killer ending all add up for one of the best episodes of the series. 92/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 11:03   Link #668
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
But is it canon in series? I mean, we already know there has been several changes (Game of throne wiki have pages on pages of differences between Book vs Series)

They could easily make Kingsguards to be a marrying group.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 11:21   Link #669
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
But is it canon in series? I mean, we already know there has been several changes (Game of throne wiki have pages on pages of differences between Book vs Series)

They could easily make Kingsguards to be a marrying group.
Jaime can not marry nor inherit Casterly Rock because he is in the Kingsguard.

Admittedly, just like ever other patriarchal organization in the series, no one actually adheres to or enforces the rules.

That being said, I still think Willas will be sprung on Sansa.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 13:10   Link #670
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Has the TV show ever said Loras joined the Kingsguard?
Since Blackwater, i have never seen him wear the Kingsguards uniform so it's probable that in the TV series, Loras didn't join the Kingsguard.
Old 2013-04-23, 13:37   Link #671
GDB

Not the Lannister Kingsguard, anyway.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 17:42   Link #672
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Has the TV show ever said Loras joined the Kingsguard?
Since Blackwater, i have never seen him wear the Kingsguards uniform so it's probable that in the TV series, Loras didn't join the Kingsguard.
Here's the scene here.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

There doesn't seem to be any mention about Loras joining the Kingsguard, so I suppose this doesn't really count as a plot hole.
Old 2013-04-27, 18:02   Link #673
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

As aways, the dragons are awesome...

Didn't read the books, so the plot twist at the end was great(I knew she would burn the guy, but not that she could speak that guy's language)
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 01:53   Link #674
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Man, that ending for episode 5 was almost as good as episode 4's ending, for completely different reasons.

Love watching Cersei and Tyrion with their father issues with Tywin.

I think I have a pretty good handle now on what all will be included in this season. Can't wait.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 11:08   Link #675
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Whoa. That was a assholish move Tywin did. He forced his children into unwanted marriages to maintain their family's power over the 7 kingdoms.

I didn't feel sad for Kastark's death. He was driven by revenge before reason especially since he kill two innocent boys whose only crime was that they had the same family name of his son's killer.
Old 2013-04-29, 12:29   Link #676
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I didn't feel sad for Kastark's death. He was driven by revenge before reason especially since he kill two innocent boys whose only crime was that they had the same family name of his son's killer.
Keep in mind that the Kastarks murdered a number of guards in carrying out their petty vengeance. Even if you agreed that a need for vengeance was empirically accurate, you can't exactly balance that with murdering your allies.

There's also the goofiness of avenging a death caused by a guy who murdered distant Kin to escape by murdering more of his distant kin.
Old 2013-04-29, 14:29   Link #677
GDB

Quote:
Whoa. That was a assholish move Tywin did. He forced his children into unwanted marriages to maintain their family's power over the 7 kingdoms.
Arranged marriages are commonplace in this sort of setting. Both in the real world and the fantasy world.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 14:55   Link #678
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Arranged marriages are commonplace in this sort of setting. Both in the real world and the fantasy world.
The circumstances behind this are far less common though, at least with Tyrion, what with Sansa being a hostage from a family they're at war with. Though it was still technically something on the table with Joffrey, so it's not that big of a changer.
Old 2013-04-29, 20:03   Link #679
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

I love seeing Tywin knock Cersei down a few pegs. She's such a hate-able character.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 20:19   Link #680
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I love seeing Tywin knock Cersei down a few pegs. She's such a hate-able character.
I loved that. That was awesome. I literally laughed out loud. She was reveling in Tyrion's situation and then get's slapped in the face.

Tags
game of thrones, hbo