AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 41 38.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 22.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-06, 12:29   Link #61
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Very good episode structure, they picked from last one, built-up Yukiatsu's circumstances, while exposing and resolving the situation through Tsuruko's point of view... how she picked up small details from what the other characters saw and coming to the conclusion that it was Yukiatsu, and in addition giving everyone a breather along with the non-perceptive audience before exposing him.

... and a really cute Anaru pic

Old 2011-05-06, 12:36   Link #62
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Funny enough, this show's biggest weakness is Memma. I gave this episode an 8/10 which is still very good, but I can't help but think they're overplaying the melodrama card with Memma.

Every episode now, we have been treated to scenes of Memma crying, and often more than once.

Now I don't mind melodrama, but when they do this too much, they're overplaying their hand. The reason the scene of her crying in episode 1 during the scene of her mother was effective was precisely because it had a nice lead up, but now it seems that whenever she is reminded of her friends being together, she breaks out into tears.

I don't particularly appreciate these attempts at trying to force out emotion out of me.

Furthermore, the drama of each scene is a little weakened every-time she opens up her mouth. I mean this is my own personal perception of course, but unless this Memma is a delusion of Jintan, it almost cheapens his actions and words. It takes away from the reality of the situation.

Basically, my only problem with the show so far is the lack of subtlety in execution. The emotions will flow naturally without Memma dancing around on screen with tears in her eyes, they don't need to exaggerate it so much.

Anyhow, I think the final key to dispelling Memma will be Jintan's apology to Memma, and the removal of the guilty conscience of himself and his friends.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:40   Link #63
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wanted to beat up Yukiatsu the whole ep. The guy is obsessed with Menma, but he really doesn't know her. He made stuff up that the real one would never say in the first place.

Tsuruko read him like a book. Didn't think it would be revealed so soon though. Glad everyone knows now. I still want to beat him up, but i kind of feel sorry for the guy. He clearly has issues. Him dressing up as Menma just shows how messed up he is.

Also when Anaru almost fell, looked like something similar happened to the way Menma might have died.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:40   Link #64
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This ep didn't do much for me. Too weird to be interesting -- and I usually like weird. But I just didn't feel the characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
About Memma, I think she'll turn out to be this series' big unanswered question. Is she a hallucination, or is she a real poltergeist? My bet is, the approach that will be taken is "who cares", and will focus on how the rest of the group finally deal with and get over that particular traumatic event together in the end.
This would be interesting, but how can she be a hallucination when at least two people who cannot see her and have no idea she is "there" have felt her weight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sertrel
Okay, after this episode, I think I'm in love with Tsuruko. SO GREAT.
One reason she is so great is that Hayami Saori is doing a fantastic job with her voice. Hayamin's work has grown tremendously in the past year.

She is doing a radio show right now with Yuuki Aoi. The preview episode revealed what a contrast they are: fast-talking ota-kid Ao-chan and elegant lady Hayamin. Two of my favorite seiyuus.

The fact that the radio show is not connected with any particular anime demonstrates that these two 19-year-olds are hitting the big time as seiyuu personalities. (The audio is at the bottom of the linked page. You can hear their personalities even if you can't understand Japanese.)
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:44   Link #65
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Anaru and Tsuruko have become the show hairdo fashion plates.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:50   Link #66
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
AHHHHH my eyes!!! Cannot unsee!!!
MANma is clearly becoming a bit of cult favorite already. Can the "Church of Manma" be far behind?
Old 2011-05-06, 13:10   Link #67
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
MANma is clearly becoming a bit of cult favorite already. Can the "Church of Manma" be far behind?
Pretty sure any church other than the "Church of Madoka" will be deemed as blasphemy at the moment :P
Old 2011-05-06, 13:13   Link #68
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
AHHHHH my eyes!!! Cannot unsee!!!
Then don't look at the last page of a new doujinshi that recently popped up...

Agree with the poster above that if she was just an hallucination then how can they feel her weight. Plus the bread she made...
Old 2011-05-06, 13:18   Link #69
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Then don't look at the last page of a new doujinshi that recently popped up...
I... what? Oh dear. I don't even want to think about it.
Old 2011-05-06, 13:37   Link #70
Nikkan

I'm getting more annoyed with Jintan actually. The fact that I also start to question if Menma is a ghost or just his imagination makes it worse.
I wish he would get Menma to do something then ask what the other see. Same thing with the scene when she jumped on Poppo, if he just got the guts to say "It's because Menma is on your back" everything would become easier (Or at least start by telling everyone you can see her ghost)

These last two episodes also gave me creeps over just how obsessed they are with a dead person. I mean "going to look for her"? and the way Poppo bluntly believes it makes me a bit uneasy while watching. I think Tsuruko is the one closes to how a normal person react. (Quiet, not using her name much, still grieving)
Old 2011-05-06, 14:13   Link #71
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
O man, I literally had my hands in front of my mouth at the end of the episode. I'm so easily embarrassed for people, it was too much for me. I'm honestly really interested in how Yukiatsu is gonna come back from this. I just can't see him hanging out with the rest of them with this always hanging over their heads, I would rag on him 24/7. Tsuruko must of known he wasn't right all this time, she should of done something.

I'm also getting annoying at how the anime is going about Menma's interaction with the world. At this point, it would seem to be extremely easy to make them beleive she exists. Have her punch some in the stomach, you know, pick up a cup of coffee, drop kick someone in the face, anything really. It's become clear that she can't be a hallucination as she has interacted with two people already, so I don't see why Jintan doesn't just say "yo, watch this, Menma, punch Anaru in the mouth." and she gets punched in the mouth and everyones a believer. It's the only thing really bugging me at this point.
Old 2011-05-06, 14:40   Link #72
darkmanure

The whole making Menma picking up stuff to prove herself would make things awkward as hell and is not the point of this anime.
Old 2011-05-06, 14:45   Link #73
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
... and a really cute Anaru pic
Meganekko Anaru is best Anaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
One reason she is so great is that Hayami Saori is doing a fantastic job with her voice.

I'll second this,I liked her already but I'm discovering a whole new side to her that I like even more.

As for Menma,Jintan still believes she's an halucination,that's why he doesn't try to convince people that she's real,because he doesn't think she is even if he's starting to have doubts.
Before talking to Yukiatsu he asks himself "what am I doing?" because he doesn't really believe his Menma is any more real than Yukiatsu's.

Though he should seriously be asking himself questions by now.
Old 2011-05-06, 15:46   Link #74
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Arrgh, Yukiatsu.

After this episode I actually start to think Menma is Jinta's illusion. As in, only Jinta can see her. Maybe near the end of the show everyone will "feel" her being there, but Jinta will be the only one who can really see her after all. I mean, you can still call her a ghost. Ghost is not something that's meant to be seen by everyone anyway.

This episode also kind of showed how Menma died. I doubt she simply just ran around the hill and fell off the slope into the river, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up that way. This show doesn't seem to be about twists; it's more about the execution of a simple idea and it has been doing an excellent job so far.

P.S. Hayami's best character so far is still Ikaros in SoraOto. Just loved her in it.
Old 2011-05-06, 15:58   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I actually thought this episode was terrific. To me the drama was just spot on. I'm really enjoying every moment.
Old 2011-05-06, 16:00   Link #76
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
This would be interesting, but how can she be a hallucination when at least two people who cannot see her and have no idea she is "there" have felt her weight?
Could be a matter of warped perception, when she moves an object and someone else notices (whether it is the object moving or that it was moved) then we'll have a sure answer. I think it is leaning towards "real poltergeist" but there is still possibility it isn't.
Old 2011-05-06, 17:35   Link #77
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Meganekko Anaru is best Anaru
Oh! yes... unfortunately, in her first doujinshi she does not wear them, damn you UROBOROS
Old 2011-05-06, 19:18   Link #78
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
8/10 from me for this ep - well done!

Man ... it's embarrassing enough to secretly cross-dress to somehow emphasize that one is not "out of the loop" or playing second fiddle again after all these years, but to get caught in the act?

BTW - as a side note I giggle to myself every time I see Haak's animated avatar. Kudos for that one!
Old 2011-05-06, 20:01   Link #79
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Alright, I take it back, y'all weren't crazy at all, clearly this show is. But yeah, wow, I did feel bad for Yukiatsu since crossdressing as your dead friend would indicate that something is at least a bit rattled in your attic. And was it just me or did it sound like Tsuruko was quoting something at him? She came up with what to say awfully fast in any case.
Old 2011-05-06, 20:16   Link #80
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
I also think this episode was yet another terrific episode. Each episode has delivered much more than enough for me. Tsuruko is definitely my second favorite character now with just this ep, Menma being my first. I don't hate Yukiatsu for cross-dressing, I just think it's creepy. Waiting for next ep for explanations. I do think he's a huge jerk, though, so if there's any reason I hate him, it's for that.
Have to say, unlike everyone else, character that isn't doing it for me is Anaru. She's cute, but nothing else for her over here, plus how much she wants to be like Menma after all this time. I really can't speculate or think of anything, this show is pretty complicated in that aspect for me, but I'm fine with enjoying the ride and letting everything surprise me. Loving this series so much, I really haven't looked forward to an anime as much as this in a while.
Closed Thread