Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-01, 15:34   Link #61
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiry View Post
Q: Is it a good idea for me to use it? Currently i have 2 internet connection one is 6gb quota with 7mbps speed and the other is 15 gb with speed worst then my 6gb connection and drops alot only good thing is mmo seems to runs almost smoothly

Q: Is it possible to use it over my office network? it won't messed up the other user connection?
Yes, it can mess up the connection. I usually immediately notice when SABnzbd (=usenet client) is downloading because sites will start to load terribly slowly. Fortunately I don't download a whole lot (just a few files per week) so this doesn't bother me (especially as I use automated downloading using RSS so that files may download when I'm not at my PC).

Anyway, this does mean you need to configure your usenet client properly: while most usenet providers allow tons of simultaneous connections for better speed, I'd recommend sticking with just 1 or 2 connections at most (I personally have much more simultaneous connections set, which is part of the problem I described).

Also on the General tab of the SABnzbd config you can specify a maximum download speed (default=unlimited).

The most useful setting you might try however is the "Scheduling" tab in the SABnzbd config and have it only download at night. Unless your company operates 24/7 or prohibits you from keeping your PC on at night I presume this will be the best option.

Quote:
Q: alot of the provider seems to mention increased speed? But i assumed your are still kinda locked by your own ISP speed? both my isp will drop the speed to almost 128kbbps once you hit the quota so i was wondering if the increased speed is locked to isp or not
Speed can be throttled by your usenet provider but is usually limited by your ISP. Just because your usenet account allows 100mbit transfer speeds doesn't mean you will actually download at that speed if you only have dial-up

Quote:
Q: is there any upload hidden or not? since quota = dl +ul
There is no hidden upload, but the usenet protocol (as outlined in the first post of this thread) wasn't designed for binary data and as a result suffers encoding overhead. In other words if you're downloading a 100MB file it might consume between 105MB~120MB of your quota due to the overhead involved.

Some background info: originally the overhead was quite big, but with yEnc encoding (which basically assumes that while Usenet messages can only be 7-bit all software involved won't complain if you send 8-bit messages instead) this was reduced a bit.

Anyway, if you want NO overheads then finding DDL (direct downloads) is about your only option. This can alternatively be achieved by getting a "download box" (rented dedicated server or something similar that allows you to download torrents on their server and then download to your PC using FTP or HTTP).

Of course as usenet doesn't require uploading at all (it isn't peer-to-peer file sharing) it will still consume less of your download quote than just about any P2P application like BitTorrent will.

One last tip: if you want to download large quantities of series it might be worthwhile to ask a friend or family member in your home country (or other country with no or very relaxed download limits) to simply send the files to you using DVDR or SD card (4+ GB SD cards aren't that expensive any more). This was the way I acquired most of my downloaded files when I lived in Ireland in 2003/2004, when I worked for Apple: I only had dial-up at home and work connections were strictly monitored and excessive downloading was not tolerated (I have had a little talk about that with my superviser ).

Quote:
Last Q: Does all usenet provider access the same thing? I found giganews while looking up usenet but kinda confuse does if all usenet connect as i notice that you mention " problem of finding files is the problem that your Usenet server may be missing one or more parts of the file."
No. Some parts may be missing on lower quality usenet servers, but in general paid (premium) usenet providers have really good completion, so it shouldn't be much of a problem with them.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:17   Link #62
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
first of all thanks a lot for the work you've put into fanzub,
i've known about(and used) it for a while but seeing that a fellow user from animesuki made it was a nice thing to see(thanks to that link you put in the homepage).

i have to say that i've always liked its simplicity and that was one of the main reasons i used it to get most of the recent animes i got.

and seeing your new features i have to again thank you because they are very helpful.

so, thanks a lot for the work you've put into this.

one final note, about the request for limiting size.
i do think there is use for that feature(which btw could be implemented the same as all the other query addition you've made, so it won't clog the interface and\or bother those that don't use it).
the main thing i'd use it for is for searching batches.
downloading batches save a lot of trouble(though less so now that its possible to multi select :]), and size filtering is probably the simplest way to do it.

anyway that would only be the icing on the cake anyway as fanzub is very usefull as it is anyway :P
Old 2012-01-23, 07:10   Link #63
Cillu

I just got into the world Usenets and index sites today and wondered if there was a main anime index site. After a couple google searches, I found yours and it's freaking amazing. Some more searches later I find that you're a member of animesuki and my goodness I can't believe my account is still here. Just posting to say thank you very much for dedicating your time and effort into this site. You should make a donation button of some sort so I (and other thankful people) can support a good cause.
Old 2012-02-22, 00:09   Link #64
popoycanton

^ same here, usenet noob. I've leached a couple of files from fanzsub and found the guide on page 1 to be really easy to follow. Thank you.
Old 2012-04-30, 04:19   Link #65
Smeagol
Inactive Member

lately in the anime category there are many programs on fanzub is this intended?
Old 2012-06-01, 16:25   Link #66
dlrdlrdlr

Unhappy The export feature.

I can't seem to figure it out, I use the anime fork of sick beard and am trying to add fanzub to the search providers, in the FAQ you say you can use the export url in place of an api, how exactly do I do this, I've tried http://www.fanzub.com/export?cat=anime/ in both the api and url options, as the url I get this error
Code:
Error trying to load fanzub RSS feed: syntax error: line 1, column 44
and as the api I get this error
Code:
 Error loading fanzub URL: (, HTTPError(), ) -
Old 2012-06-01, 23:53   Link #67
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The "export" feed is intended for site developers to create their own import of Fanzub information.

It is unlikely that a readily available script would have support for the "export" feed (unless it specifically mentions it).

You probably want to use the RSS feeds instead then, the link for each relevant page can be found by clicking the icon on that page (near search box).
Old 2012-07-28, 16:17   Link #68
Cpuroast

HTTPS support for fanzub.com and RSS feeds

Hi,

I was wondering if HTTPS support could be added to the fanzub.com site and RSS feeds.

Thanks!
Old 2012-08-01, 05:04   Link #69
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I figured there were two types of SSL certificates: ones you self-sign (and generate tons of scary browser warnings) and those that disclose all your personal information (which for a business isn't a problem but for this kind of site kinda is).

But it turns out you can have valid SSL certificates that are recognized and work in almost all browsers that contain no information quite cheaply.

So, done! https://fanzub.com/

As RSS feeds are hosted on the site itself (/rss path), they and all other content now also works with SSL.
Old 2012-08-06, 11:08   Link #70
Cpuroast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I figured there were two types of SSL certificates: ones you self-sign (and generate tons of scary browser warnings) and those that disclose all your personal information (which for a business isn't a problem but for this kind of site kinda is).

But it turns out you can have valid SSL certificates that are recognized and work in almost all browsers that contain no information quite cheaply.

As RSS feeds are hosted on the site itself (/rss path), they and all other content now also works with SSL.
Nice,

Thanks a bunch!
Old 2012-08-06, 19:18   Link #71
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post

FYI: I note that you're loading the JavaScript for google analytics & quantserve from their SSL sites, but you missed jQuery. I'm guessing that's what's causing a "content on this page is only partially encrypted" message from Firefox?
Old 2012-08-07, 00:44   Link #72
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Awkwardly I didn't get that warning for some reason. Maybe it has to do with caching or something.

But you're right. I've yanked the protocol from the jQuery URL so the browser should now figure out the appropriate protocol itself.

Google Analytics and Quantcast use javascript to figure out the right protocol btw.
Old 2012-10-23, 08:13   Link #73
cyberbeing

Could you modify the RSS feed generation to include a link back to your original search query (Firefox Live Bookmarks)?
Looking at other rss feeds where this works correctly, you are missing something like the following in the Fanzub feeds:

<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://fanzub.com/?q=search terms"/>
Old 2013-01-30, 03:07   Link #74
cyberbeing

There is a cosmetic bug with with how page numbers are appended to URLs.

Search -> Click Page "2" navigation link:
fanzub.com/?q=searchterm&p=2

Then Click Page "1" navigation link:
fanzub.com/?q=searchterm&p=2&p=1

Then Click Page "3" navigation link:
fanzub.com/?q=searchterm&p=2&p=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Could you modify the RSS feed generation to include a link back to your original search query (Firefox Live Bookmarks)?
Looking at other rss feeds where this works correctly, you are missing something like the following in the Fanzub feeds:

<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="http://fanzub.com/?q=search terms"/>
I'd still find it handy for this to be implemented at some point as well. It's a minor annoyance for the RSS feed's site link to open to the Fanzub main page, instead of the search query which the RSS feed was created from.
Old 2013-02-06, 11:53   Link #75
Thoguht

Name filtering?

Is there some sort of issue (other than good taste) that is causing releases of Ai Mai Me not be listed on Fanzub? It's being subbed by three groups, one of which never shows up on Fanzub, one which hardly ever shows up, but also one that appears on a daily basis. The name as presented by this horrible group is "Ai-Mai-Me", so I wondered if maybe the double hyphen was triggering some sort of exclusion filter. Not that I would want to watch Ai Mai Me of course, this is purely out of technical interest
Old 2013-02-06, 12:30   Link #76
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
Is there some sort of issue (other than good taste) that is causing releases of Ai Mai Me not be listed on Fanzub? It's being subbed by three groups, one of which never shows up on Fanzub, one which hardly ever shows up, but also one that appears on a daily basis. The name as presented by this horrible group is "Ai-Mai-Me", so I wondered if maybe the double hyphen was triggering some sort of exclusion filter. Not that I would want to watch Ai Mai Me of course, this is purely out of technical interest
Fanzub can't index what isn't posted to Usenet, and as far as I can tell that series isn't being posted. It should not be a Fanzub only issue, any other Usenet index is going to give you the same result.

You might want to PM one of the most active anime posters about this: Comfun (if you check details on Fanzub you'll see his name on almost all anime posts). However he hasn't visited the forum in over a year. But you can still try...
Old 2013-02-11, 10:32   Link #77
Comfun

Happy new year everybody. And thanks GHDpro keep going the good stuff

Done, AnimeNOW had been added for automatic posting on usenet

If you saw missing releases that should appear on usnet, just send me a mp or post the name of the group there.
Old 2013-02-11, 13:30   Link #78
Thoguht

I'm aware of how Usenet indexing works, which is why I asked specifically (although perhaps too subtly) about why the show in question was not being indexed even though HorribleSubs was releasing it. Anyway, thanks to both GHDpro and Comfun for all of your efforts.
Old 2013-02-24, 15:36   Link #79
Comfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
I'm aware of how Usenet indexing works, which is why I asked specifically (although perhaps too subtly) about why the show in question was not being indexed even though HorribleSubs was releasing it. Anyway, thanks to both GHDpro and Comfun for all of your efforts.
Because the bot use filters so it doesn't post small files.
Old 2013-03-11, 03:34   Link #80
Hg2

you should consider posting subdesu-h to alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.anime not to .highspeed.
Closed Thread

Tags
wiki candidate