AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-14, 09:31   Link #281
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And that's your proof he's dense? Because he pays more attention to someone who's obviously more important to him than the other girl? I mean, really?
Yes really. Because we know he is not conciously putting effort into understanding either girl (his attention is still fixed on Minorin remember) but he gets the signal from Taiga almost straight away (mostly because they spend so much time together), yet he cannot decipher similiar body languages from Ami.
Old 2009-01-14, 09:38   Link #282
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

houkoholic, you countered your own point when you stated that Ryuji mostly spends more time with Taiga than with Ami, and that he's fixed on Minorin. I mean, really, you actually expect any adolescent male to be deviously perceptive all the time?

Ami sends mixed signals to him all the time. He can't be really faulted for not getting it. Nor can he be categorized as dense for this peccadillo.

Old 2009-01-14, 16:12   Link #283
cloner4000

Well, I think a lot of it is really up to personal opinions and what you deduct from the Anime/Novel.

Because I detect a lot of signs that Ryuuji still find Ami attractive, weather its at the beach or when she make some advance on her. But he convince himself that she's doing that to sting Taiga, so yeah he doesn't really pay all that much attention to it.

I agree with you on that Ami is definitely looking at how Ryuuji is treating Taiga and probably Jealous, but I think there is definitely a romantic side to it.

The baseball practice zone in 6th novel ( I won't spoil it, but if you read it you should know which scene I am referring to) I think its pretty clear, at least to me, that Ami is very conscious of Ryuuji, otherwise her reaction would not be like that.
Old 2009-01-14, 16:18   Link #284
cloner4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
I haven't read the novels all the way, but I can understand people having a more set impression of how Ami views Ryuuji in either way depending on who's had more exposure to either the anime or the light novels.

I got into Toradora through the anime and I'm guessing here that many who assume Ami is interested in Ryuuji is because of the anime being their first introduction to the series.

Novel readers as I understand it have a solid impression of her just being a mediator of sorts, with no definitive evidence that she's interested in Ryuuji or not.
Well I start with Novel, but I still think Ami like Ryuuji, well, its not really till the 4th book where she semi-confessed to Ryuuji (the anime first of all, cut that part off).

Then I start rereading all the books and that when I start looking for signs in the novel, and I must say, there is plenty and some can easily turn into very fluffy situations.

Although if you aren't looking for it, Taiga would pretty much take the spotlight.

I mean, I didn't think Minorin is interested in Ryuuji either till the anime ep 14 and hearing some people talked about it and then some parts I read in the novels. The author really knows how to hide it well.
Old 2009-01-14, 19:06   Link #285
typhonsentra

At least at this point in the story, it's more likely he's just suspect of anything nice she does because of his initial encounter with her.
Old 2009-01-14, 21:48   Link #286
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Some of the crucial storytelling scenes that I believe can prove that Ami does like Ryuuji in the novels hasn't been retold in the anime, not to mention the most recent episode today.

And here's some of my thoughts on her interaction with Ryuuji...

Quote:
At least at this point in the story, it's more likely he's just suspect of anything nice she does because of his initial encounter with her.
Which makes Ami's "business" with Ryuuji even harder. But you know, I love it when girls in anime plays smart and consistent to get a dude. Ami in this instance does just that, which makes her attractive in my opinion. Although Ryuuji seems to be trying too much to be on guard knowing Ami's actual personality and I know all he wants to do is trying to avoid getting in a mess with her.

But sometimes his "I-see-now-how-Ami-really-is" thought + "beware-of-Ami guard" is completely unnecessary in some situations... and I'm thinking it's getting more and more unnecessary the more he interacts with Ami.

... Just how better can this get?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-01-14, 21:54   Link #287
typhonsentra

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-14, 22:25   Link #288
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
When you said that... I am reminded that all the "hulabaloo" and blah blah blah stuffs between Ami and Ryuuji... I still don't believe that Ami is doing that to help Taiga, nor that what she does with Ryuuji is a mere appreciation of sorts that makes us believe she likes him, but is actually not.

Or she might be "doing it for Taiga's sake" because it's to cover up what she's actually having in her mind.

Anyway, I hope it's safe to say that I don't believe that she isn't attracted to Ryuuji. Attracted as in... well, you know. Even till now. From volume 1.

Although I acknowledge I am at an obvious disadvantage compared to those who're able to acquire and read through volumes 6 and above if I am ever asked to prove whatever I have in my mind...

Old 2009-01-14, 22:30   Link #289
typhonsentra

Well I think its safe to say she didn't like him in volume 1.
Old 2009-01-15, 00:17   Link #290
cloner4000

Ahhh...Despair....how could they have skip the scene...that's very disheartening. I was so looking forward to this one too...
Old 2009-01-15, 00:26   Link #291
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Someone elaborate on a spoiler what that scene actually is? Please?
Old 2009-01-15, 00:37   Link #292
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Someone elaborate on a spoiler what that scene actually is? Please?
Which one? The baseball cage scene?

Old 2009-01-15, 00:42   Link #293
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Yeah, that one.
Old 2009-01-15, 01:15   Link #294
wistfulloner

Spoiler for Baseball scene:

That about sums it up.
Old 2009-01-15, 01:22   Link #295
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

@ physics223: This is based from a re-reading and rebriefing whatever I have read there... I'm basically retelling the story as I read through it.

Spoiler for What happened? Let's see...:

Hope that helps...

Last edited by Master Assassin; 2009-01-15 at 02:33.
Old 2009-01-15, 04:16   Link #296
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

@SA

Thank you.
Old 2009-01-15, 13:37   Link #297
cloner4000

Yea, that's a really detailed version of what happened.

mind telling me how to do that?

Last edited by cloner4000; 2009-01-15 at 14:16.
Old 2009-01-15, 13:47   Link #298
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

cloner4000, maybe you should put your comment about the whole scene in spoiler tags, for people who haven't really read that bit of the novels, just yet?

Old 2009-01-15, 15:46   Link #299
typhonsentra

You kinda exaggerate a certain detail...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-16, 05:10   Link #300
wistfulloner

I had this thought about the Kitamura arc. Perhaps Kitamura isn't the central figure in this story arc, Ami should be the one. If you read forward, you might notice Kitamura doesn't have a real legitimate reason for his behavior. Instead he's just simply emoing and childishly refusing the post of Council Prez.

The one who has the most to gain emotionally would be Ami, since she really does challenge herself on her maturity throughout Ep 14 & 15. All throughout the episodes, she has received conflicting opinions as to how mature she is, and trying to correctly apply it to her own life (For instance, trying to be mature when facing the Kitamura dilemma although not very sure of her maturity to handle it). She really just seems to be the one who could learn the most from this situation, instead of just acting out like Kitamura. As they say, effective medicine is always bitter.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters