AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-09-06, 01:20   Link #261
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

So, what is the verdict on the Kouta/Yuka relationship?

In the noname sub, it was stated that they were cousins.

Anyway, this anime is shaping up to be excellent.
Old 2004-09-06, 05:24   Link #262
Mentar
Banned

Episode 01: "Yuka desu, itoko no". "I'm Yuka, your cousin"

She's Kouta's cousin from her mother's side.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 05:43   Link #263
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Where do you guys find this noname sub? I'm under the impression that is seems better than the ones the named groups are doing.
Old 2004-09-06, 05:49   Link #264
Mentar
Banned

Every sub I know translated Yuka as Kouta's cousin, I have no idea where the trouble came from. ^_^;;

And the only "noname" sub I saw so far was ... well ... nothing you really want. Trust me.
Old 2004-09-06, 09:22   Link #265
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Every sub I know translated Yuka as Kouta's cousin, I have no idea where the trouble came from. ^_^;;

And the only "noname" sub I saw so far was ... well ... nothing you really want. Trust me.
I haven't been sticking a name on my scripts. Well, I have, but inside the file.

Anyway, http://andrewlb.com/anime/elfen for some nice screens of ep 7, heh. Dismemberment is a win.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:05   Link #266
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
I haven't been sticking a name on my scripts. Well, I have, but inside the file.
The "noname" rip I was referring to was not using your translations, Andrew. It was something entirely different ... :}
Old 2004-09-06, 11:13   Link #267
WraithOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB

Anyway, http://andrewlb.com/anime/elfen for some nice screens of ep 7, heh. Dismemberment is a win.
Thanks for taking your time and making the scripts. I doubt the subs would have gotten as far as they have so quickly without them.
WraithOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 13:36   Link #268
Mashimaro
q8D

About the whole cousin thing. In Japan and Korea, you can call somebody a cousin and not be related. Like somebody said before they are childhood friends. Parents knew eachother so they are close. Families are close therefore you can call eachother cousins. -0-

Unless they really are cousins in the family way..but the series wouldn't go that far onto making them lovers...Would they?
Mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 14:25   Link #269
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Mashimaro, would that be similar in the way that you can call an older woman "obaasan" (or whatever the word for aunt is)? Or how little kids can call older kids "onii-chan/san" or "onee-chan/san"?

To explain the noname sub, it was the first sub released of Elfen Lied, I think somewhere in July. It didn't have an external sub script or anything like that, it was like a normal sub. Whoever subbed it only did the first episode, hope that helps.

EDIT: Since I have no fundamental knowledge of the Japanese language, I can't really say how good the noname translations were. In the tag, there was something like "it's not that great [likely referring to the translations] but at least you can enjoy the violence"

I could certainly understand the story and what was going on with ease when I watched it.
Old 2004-09-06, 16:53   Link #270
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
"That's right... It was a dream. Legs don't suddenly detach and reattach."

I gotta see this episode.
Old 2004-09-06, 18:15   Link #271
Mashimaro
q8D

Yes, that's exactly it. Similar. You can call somebody you respect and look up to a onii/onee just like calling an elder person Obaa san. They don't have to be blood related. Kouta's family and Yuka's family must've been close so kids would call eachother bestfriends,childhood friends or cousins.

OH AND Everybody please keep a heads up for the op of this great series
Lilium
Old 2004-09-06, 18:22   Link #272
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro

OH AND Everybody please keep a heads up for the op of this great series
Lilium
The ending isnt half bad too I hope somone does a trans of it in the masculine so us male fans can sing it at cons Speaking of which does anyone know which sub is more accurite? There is two completely different meanings coming across depending on what version you watch.

Also, since this is here does it mean its Licenced? 0.o
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:31   Link #273
problemedchild
ô_ô

Elfen Lied is liscened by ADV. Am I correct in saying that so far 8 manga volumes and 7 anime episodes of Elfen Lied have been released?
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:36   Link #274
Spuffy
オウカ~

However, you almost only use those when adressing others. In the manga you see Kouta at the station before he meets up with Yuka. That time he thinks about her and he does use the word cousin when referring to her. If they wouldn't be related he would have just used her name with a suffix instead.

Anyway, what's the big deal about it? Marriage between cousins do exist in Japan as well as in a number of european countries.
Spuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:42   Link #275
Mashimaro
q8D

I believe so.. I think 8 volumes. If the series is liscensed I am not allowed to ask for music and location?
Old 2004-09-06, 19:34   Link #276
Mentar
Banned

Which part of what I posted already is difficult to understand?

Episode 01: "Yuka desu, itoko no". "I'm Yuka, your cousin"

She's Kouta's cousin from her mother's side - this is the meaning of itoko. Furthermore, it's perfectly legal and not even unusual in Japan to marry your cousin. And in episode 6 Yuka and Kouta _are_ already lovers in the sense that they've went past "suki" and are making out.

You should not make the mistake to measure this with non-japanese values. They are and are doing exactly what's shown in the anime.
Old 2004-09-06, 20:25   Link #277
problemedchild
ô_ô

In Kanon and quite a few other animes or dating sims, one of the characters are attracted to their cousins. So marrying your cousin isn't something that is looked down in Japan....(I think) >_> Anyways, I'm not even going to talk about that dubbed Sailormoon thing where lesbian lovers where turned into cousins.....

*Coughs* Forgot rules

Last edited by problemedchild; 2004-09-07 at 00:27.
Old 2004-09-06, 23:44   Link #278
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild
In Kanon and quite a few other animes or dating sims, one of the characters are attracted to their cousins. So marrying your cousin isn't something that is looked down in Japan....(I think) >_> Anyways, I'm not even going to talk about that dubbed Sailormoon thing where lesbian lovers where turned into cousins.....

and on an unrelated note if you save the torrent and then open it off your computer it'll work if you happen to get nothing in your browser

Last edited by Grona; 2004-09-07 at 00:35.
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 00:13   Link #279
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Yeah, edit your post.

But thanks for letting me know.
Old 2004-09-07, 00:31   Link #280
problemedchild
ô_ô

Opps, thanks for the tip.

This series is quickly catching up to the manga though. I'd say about 1 more episode until the anime runs out of the manga storyline to follow.

BTW I know the save as thing with torrents. Doesn't work when save as tries to save the file as a HTML file.

Tags
drama, ecchi, horror, loli, romance, seinen