AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-05-20, 10:15   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Attack on Titan - Weekly Episode-to-Novel/Manga Comparison Thread [Spoilers Aplenty]

As the title of this thread suggest, the purpose here is to allow discussion which compares the content between an anime episode as it aired and how it is laid out in the source material the anime was adapted from. All spoilers are allowed as long as it is relevant to the discussion at hand. It will be helpful if the posters clearly indicate the episode number before engaging into a detailed comparison to the source material. Obviously you are required to watch the episode prior to posting here. Thread is open to everyone, but since the novel/manga readers are expected to participate, the anime-only viewers are advised to use discretion before venturing into this thread.

For the Attack on Titan Novel/Manga-Readers: Please do your darndest best to stay on topic when engaging into these comparison. Whenever you see one of your fellow novel/manga-reader is spewing spoiler for no apparent reason, feel free to tell him/her to stop. Report such post so a moderator can delete the off-topic post.

Have fun!
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 10:34   Link #2
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairin View Post
As the title of this thread suggest, the purpose here is to allow discussion which compares the content between an anime episode as it aired and how it is laid out in the source material the anime was adapted from. All spoilers are allowed as long as it is relevant to the discussion at hand. It will be helpful if the posters clearly indicate the episode number before engaging into a detailed comparison to the source material. Obviously you are required to watch the episode prior to posting here. Thread is open to everyone, but since the novel/manga readers are expected to participate, the anime-only viewers are advised to use discretion before venturing into this thread.

For the Attack on Titan Novel/Manga-Readers: Please do your darndest best to stay on topic when engaging into these comparison. Whenever you see one of your fellow novel/manga-reader is spewing spoiler for no apparent reason, feel free to tell him/her to stop. Report such post so a moderator can delete the off-topic post.

Have fun!
The way you phrase it makes it seem like we can use spoilers which are relevant to a current discussion, but are about something which hasn't happened yet in the anime. Like for example clarifying something which will be clarified later on in the anime.

Did you meant this?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 10:51   Link #3
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
The way you phrase it makes it seem like we can use spoilers which are relevant to a current discussion, but are about something which hasn't happened yet in the anime. Like for example clarifying something which will be clarified later on in the anime.

Did you meant this?
technically we not allowed to talk about anything that didn't show in anime
so maybe he/she meant > manga scene"spoiler" that been changed/removed from anime?
<<changed/removed = didn't show in anime>>
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 11:13   Link #4
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
technically we not allowed to talk about anything that didn't show in anime
so maybe he/she meant > manga scene"spoiler" that been changed/removed from anime?
<<changed/removed = didn't show in anime>>
That would be more logical, but in that case I would recommend he/she to state it more clearly.

I see spoilers as things from the source material which haven't happened yet in the anime and what the anime has already covered from the source material isn't a spoiler anymore, but should still be hidden under spoiler tags in the episode thread, because not everyone wants to read them.
Old 2013-05-20, 11:30   Link #5
Gundamx

Quote:
That would be more logical, but in that case I would recommend he/she to state it more clearly.

I see spoilers as things from the source material which haven't happened yet in the anime and what the anime has already covered from the source material isn't a spoiler anymore.
but some people like to hung on straw like
manga / anime Comparison:
Spoiler for manga Comparison:
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 12:13   Link #6
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
but some people like to hung on straw like
manga / anime Comparison:
Spoiler for manga Comparison:
Yeah, that is the only difficult part. We don't know it that kind of material will still be covered at another time.

We should probably use clearly labeled spoiler tags if we want to talk about those things.
Old 2013-05-20, 12:14   Link #7
richardtengcy

Anime Episode 7 comparison to Manga

Fillers Part
1) When the recruits confront the Captain of Stationary Guard
2) When Jean explain to Connie what happen at the HQ (the part where we see small titans storming in and attacking soldier inside the HQ
3) The polmegrate scenes
4) Mikasa avoiding the Titan attack

Differences
1) There are more Titans surrounding the HQ in the manga compared to the Anime
2) Different girl in the "suicide" part
3) Anime expand the action in Mikasa scenes when rushing to HQ
4) No censorship when Jean witness the death of some comrades before the HQ
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 12:22   Link #8
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
Anime Episode 7 comparison to Manga

Fillers Part
1) When the recruits confront the Captain of Stationary Guard
2) When Jean explain to Connie what happen at the HQ (the part where we see small titans storming in and attacking soldier inside the HQ
3) The polmegrate scenes
4) Mikasa avoiding the Titan attack

Differences
1) There are more Titans surrounding the HQ in the manga compared to the Anime
2) Different girl in the "suicide" part
3) Anime expand the action in Mikasa scenes when rushing to HQ
4) No censorship when Jean witness the death of some comrades before the HQ
You missed this part.

Fillers Part
4) Mikasa avoiding the Titan attack and slicing off two fingers of the titan's left hand
Old 2013-05-20, 12:45   Link #9
Zenxifear
Inactive Member

Ep 7
It have been showed in manga how close they were being hit by titan head that was sent flying by IT.
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5d1ee164.jpg
Zenxifear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 12:53   Link #10
richardtengcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenxifear View Post
Ep 7
It have been showed in manga how close they were being hit by titan head that was sent flying by IT.
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5d1ee164.jpg
Its funny to see that in the manga, Mikasa smack Connie to the ground to take cover
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 13:01   Link #11
Zenxifear
Inactive Member

Ep 5
The girl in Eren group was being eaten alive.
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/...pscbcbd7d2.jpg
Zenxifear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 13:55   Link #12
hyper_oats

Back in episode 2 of the anime, does anyone know if that scene with childhood Eren kicking the soldier, Armin stepping in, Mikasa punching Eren, then force feeding him bread was in the manga? If so, what chapter and page? It seems vaguely familiar. But i still believe it's completely anime original.
hyper_oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:20   Link #13
akire_and_atem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper_oats View Post
Back in episode 2 of the anime, does anyone know if that scene with childhood Eren kicking the soldier, Armin stepping in, Mikasa punching Eren, then force feeding him bread was in the manga? If so, what chapter and page? It seems vaguely familiar. But i still believe it's completely anime original.
It's an anime original (since I recently finished reading the manga/getting up-to-date and I didn't see it)

Also, a change I don't get why they did it:

Name change on the dead recon corps soldier that is given to his mother (the arm was the only thing left) back in the first episode - from Brown/Braun (manga) to Moses (anime)
Old 2013-05-23, 16:09   Link #14
hyper_oats

Thanks, i thought so. The entire thing felt kind of artificial and forced when i rewatched it. The soldier was randomly being an asshole for no other reason than to start drama for the story. Eren then flips out on him and Armin and gives some stupid speech about Armin being weak and cowardly.

The kicking the soldier part? Fine, i could see him doing that. But the rest of it didn't jive well with how he'd actually behave in the manga. I'm sorry, but i just don't see him going off on his friend like that, Eren's not stupid and Armin was clearly the one making the most sense in that situation. And the part where he's literally crying from the forced oral Mikasa was giving him? Seriously, whoever wrote that could learn a thing or two about subtlety. It's no wonder some people have the impression that Eren's a brat/hot-headed/irrational when i never felt that way reading SnK.

And that pomegranate, flashing blood cells and fight for your life scene in episode 7 with Mikasa? Same problem for me, it tried way too hard to dial up the action and shounen-feel.

The original was more quiet and bittersweet. It was an internal monologue of a character who had given up and lost the person she loved the most. And yet, because of said person's indomitable will in life, he was still able to inspire her to fight on. It had finesse and that's what made the scene so beautiful. It wasn't some stupid "why are my hips moving on their own?", let's turn this into an action sequence with randomly added convenient symbolism heavy-handed insert like in the anime.
Old 2013-05-23, 18:38   Link #15
darklegends8

Quote:
Thanks, i thought so. The entire thing felt kind of artificial and forced when i rewatched it. The soldier was randomly being an asshole for no other reason than to start drama for the story. Eren then flips out on him and Armin and gives some stupid speech about Armin being weak and cowardly.

The kicking the soldier part? Fine, i could see him doing that. But the rest of it didn't jive well with how he'd actually behave in the manga. I'm sorry, but i just don't see him going off on his friend like that, Eren's not stupid and Armin was clearly the one making the most sense in that situation. And the part where he's literally crying from the forced oral Mikasa was giving him? Seriously, whoever wrote that could learn a thing or two about subtlety. It's no wonder some people have the impression that Eren's a brat/hot-headed/irrational when i never felt that way reading SnK.

And that pomegranate, flashing blood cells and fight for your life scene in episode 7 with Mikasa? Same problem for me, it tried way too hard to dial up the action and shounen-feel.

The original was more quiet and bittersweet. It was an internal monologue of a character who had given up and lost the person she loved the most. And yet, because of said person's indomitable will in life, he was still able to inspire her to fight on. It had finesse and that's what made the scene so beautiful. It wasn't some stupid "why are my hips moving on their own?", let's turn this into an action sequence with randomly added convenient symbolism heavy-handed insert like in the anime.
I didn't have a problem with the scene in episode 7 with mikasa besides the pomegranate that came out of nowhere. At first I thought it was the part of the titan she cut off that happened to look like a pomegranate.
darklegends8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 04:54   Link #16
Beaver897

Quote:
I'd rather have the anime version than have another Titan just coincidentally get there and actually save Mikasa at the last minute, because we really wouldn't be sure whether she'd live or not with only 1 short blade and no 3DMG against a Titan.

At least in the anime version, she was able to save herself with her own instinct for some time and she only decided to make her last stand during the last part when she gets cornered by two Titans. It adds a bit more shock to the scene and less 'Oh, another Titan just came there right in time to save her, huh?' The moment the other came in felt more random and therefore more natural.
Beaver897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 05:27   Link #17
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver897 View Post
I'd rather have the anime version than have another Titan just coincidentally get there and actually save Mikasa at the last minute, because we really wouldn't be sure whether she'd live or not with only 1 short blade and no 3DMG against a Titan.

At least in the anime version, she was able to save herself with her own instinct for some time and she only decided to make her last stand during the last part when she gets cornered by two Titans. It adds a bit more shock to the scene and less 'Oh, another Titan just came there right in time to save her, huh?' The moment the other came in felt more random and therefore more natural.
I liked the manga version more for that scene. In the anime Mikasa fights back, making it seems more like she got a fighting change. In the manga she doesn't and you know that if the renegade titan didn't show up she would have been killed.
Old 2013-05-24, 07:08   Link #18
Beaver897

Quote:
I liked the manga version more for that scene. In the anime Mikasa fights back, making it seems more like she got a fighting change. In the manga she doesn't and you know that if the renegade titan didn't show up she would have been killed.
Who would think that she has a fighting chance in the first place? That Titan's 15 meters tall, gonna be pretty hard to make it fall and cut its nape with one small blade. At least she attacked didn't just switch off to Lala-land mode - would've been a pretty out-of-place way to die in my eyes if the crazy Titan didn't come tah save her ass.

And it's not like that feeling even changed in the anime. She still would've died without that renegade Titan. I have nothing against your preference, though.
Old 2013-05-24, 07:20   Link #19
hyper_oats

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklegends8 View Post
I didn't have a problem with the scene in episode 7 with mikasa besides the pomegranate that came out of nowhere. At first I thought it was the part of the titan she cut off that happened to look like a pomegranate.
Don't forget the ray of light that just happened to light up that pomegranate and then cue Mikasa staring at it like she suddenly discovered the meaning of life. It was just way too much for me.

Quote:
The thing is, whether she'd survive alone or not, that was never really the important part of the entire scene. Assuming the rogue titan never existed, i would have expected something similar to the anime, with her dodging several titan grabs. But from a philosophical perspective, even if she got squashed right afterwards, it wouldn't have mattered.

The point was that Mikasa would never gave up again, no matter how grim the situation became. She'd do her absolute best to survive in honor of Eren's way of life and even if she did become titan chow, it wouldn't have been willingly. Everything else, like how long she would have lasted and if she could have defeated it, are just shounen-esque details; the realization itself was the take away.

Also, the coincidence of the rogue was probably just done for dramatic effect. Realistically, it would have made more sense to have her fight Mr. Smiley for a couple of minutes but that titan punch came out of nowhere, right after she solidified her determination and was ready to tangle. That super quick transition came as a huge surprise and in my opinion, was a better choice than a fight sequence.

Quote:
One last problem i had with the anime part, the weird flashing stuff that made it seem like her will to survive was somehow embedded deep within her oriental genes. Actually two problems. Firstly, it downplays her weakness and pushes her further into Mary Sue territory. I'm sorry anime version, but at that point, Mikasa really did give up on life.

It wasn't some "i only thought i wanted to die, but i guess i really don't, i'm too strong for that even though my world collapsed, sorry, just kidding" bullshit. Everything for her revolved around Eren and when he was eaten, she was clearly done. There was no doubt in my mind when i first read that scene in the manga that she would have suicided if the flashback didn't happen.

The second problem i have with the whole instinct garbage is that it also downplays the role that Eren had in saving her. The whole reason she decides to live again is due to his words, the memories she had of him in the past. It wasn't because her asian blood decided to activate and make her move on her own. I honestly don't mind her fighting. But it needed to happen after her recollection, not before it.
Old 2013-05-24, 09:55   Link #20
Beaver897

Quote:
The point was that Mikasa would never gave up again, no matter how grim the situation became. She'd do her absolute best to survive in honor of Eren's way of life and even if she did become titan chow, it wouldn't have been willingly. Everything else, like how long she would have lasted and if she could have defeated it, are just shounen-esque details; the realization itself was the take away.

Also, the coincidence of the rogue was probably just done for dramatic effect. Realistically, it would have made more sense to have her fight Mr. Smiley for a couple of minutes but that titan punch came out of nowhere, right after she solidified her determination and was ready to tangle. That super quick transition came as a huge surprise and in my opinion, was a better choice than a fight sequence.
Yes, we both agree on this part here. I don't know how the anime failed to send this message, though, because it was as clear as day to me. (Get it? With the Titan's head covering the sun and all after looking at the light, hehe)

So wasn't everything you wrote basically what the anime did? Mr. Smiley took a few swings at her, but she began to dodge it. It's part of our muscle reflexes. Just like how shellshocked veterans would respond to a hallucination of a grenade by ducking down rapidly during a warm, sunny day in the park. The punch still came out of nowhere because we were expecting her to be crushed by two Titans - one was bad enough, but two almost makes it impossible for you to live. And yes, she did solidify her emotions in the end.

Quote:
One last problem i had with the anime part, the weird flashing stuff that made it seem like her will to survive was somehow embedded deep within her oriental genes. Actually two problems. Firstly, it downplays her weakness and pushes her further into Mary Sue territory. I'm sorry anime version, but at that point, Mikasa really did give up on life.

It wasn't some "i only thought i wanted to die, but i guess i really don't, i'm too strong for that even though my world collapsed, sorry, just kidding" bullshit. Everything for her revolved around Eren and when he was eaten, she was clearly done. There was no doubt in my mind when i first read that scene in the manga that she would have suicided if the flashback didn't happen.

The second problem i have with the whole instinct garbage is that it also downplays the role that Eren had in saving her. The whole reason she decides to live again is due to his words, the memories she had of him in the past. It wasn't because her asian blood decided to activate and make her move on her own. I honestly don't mind her fighting. But it needed to happen after her recollection, not before it.
Bro, bro, bro, I think you're reading a bit too much with all this. The anime never concretely said anything that her survival was because of her genes or her being Oriental and all. I don't get why'd you think that. They're probably just thinking, "Oh, guys, let's just add some more scenes and more special effects to stretch the time." Meanwhile, we're here nitpicking and thinking that they went through 5 hours of meditation under the waterfall to bring out a certain feeling in that scene which didn't deliver.

I don't know how it downplays her weakness. Her weakness was her emotions, but her strength was her reflexes. Eren's death may have caused her weakness, but it just shows that Eren's influence on her and on her survivability will be more than anything her temporary emotions can bring her down to. You may not look at it this way, but Eren was the reason that she's this strong. It's because of his words to her, her influence to her that made her a perfect killing machine. So no, she really was suicidal during that time, but her emotions cannot overwhelm that part inside her where Eren resides in, not matter how blind she gets.