AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 13:53   Link #21
Otsdarva
Cadenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
Armored Core series
- Everyone who reviews it and 1st tries it calls it shxt ASAP cause they can't control the AC very well , they think the games just a walking tank shooting stuff , go deeper into it and say that again
I know, right? They don't even give the game a chance. Apparently having a pretty background is a huge determinator for the gamescore.

Seriously though, Master of the Arena, Silent Line, and the AC4/ACFA was just unfair in terms of gamescore. Overall there is a lot of stuff they could improve, but overall the games themselves are fun.

I love AALIYAHs and LAHIREs the most. I've always had a thing for CQ mechs. But yeah, the AC series could get more love.

Quote:
FF 13 I also like quite a bit, and a lot of the fandom seems to hate it.
....F13 was brilliant. Really linear (like they said it'd be), but it was a definite edition to the Final Fantasy series. Only character I can't stand is Hope, and even then he is sufferable later on. Well, there is Vanilla... but I think she was meant to be irritating.
Otsdarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 14:09   Link #22
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
I
....F13 was brilliant. Really linear (like they said it'd be), but it was a definite edition to the Final Fantasy series. Only character I can't stand is Hope, and even then he is sufferable later on. Well, there is Vanilla... but I think she was meant to be irritating.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you just saying it's a mainline FF game? Because I don't think anyone doubts that. It's pretty obvious with that XIII right there in the title.

I dunno, I guess I'm sort of in the hater group. I couldn't stand the characters (Fang being the ONLY exception) and the story was terribly bland. I honestly didn't give a crap about anything that was going on. The graphics were superb, but since I had nothing invested in the characters or story, most of the cutscenes felt empty to me.

The only thing I enjoyed was the combat system, but that alone wasn't enough to keep me interested all the way through. I wish they opened up the combat earlier on, instead of force feeding you a 20 hour tutorial.

I haven't really liked a mainline FF game since FFX, but I was hoping this would be the one to get me back into it. Ended up just being a major disappointment for me.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 17:21   Link #23
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Cross Edge. I know it's not a good game per se, but I had lotsa fun (and frustrations) with it.

Suikoden 4. Lotsa diehard fans don't like this one, but I liked this even with the paper-thin plot.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 17:41   Link #24
Otsdarva
Cadenza

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you just saying it's a mainline FF game? Because I don't think anyone doubts that. It's pretty obvious with that XIII right there in the title.
Definite edition being another way of saying "Good edition". Don't make me talk in small syllables... Please.

Quote:
I haven't really liked a mainline FF game since FFX, but I was hoping this would be the one to get me back into it. Ended up just being a major disappointment for me.
Heh, the funny thing is I hear a lot of that. It's totally okay though, you know? I liked the game even if people bash it with a dead horse.
Old 2011-01-09, 19:05   Link #25
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Koei games.

Samurai Warriors - I love to kill troves of enemies... just because.

Dynasty Warriors - I love to kill troves of enemies.... Just because.

Gundam Musou - Made from Explodium.

Edit: To elaborate on my point, Most (If not all) Koei games receive low marks due to their repetitive and mindless gameplay, as well as until recently, last gen graphics.

I'm rather fond of their games. Just because I enjoy ripping forces apart single-handedly and spending hours of the same thing. It sounds boring to some people, but I actually don't mind it.
Just waiting to get my hands on Gundam Musou 2 and 3. Heck, I hope Koei has the brains to have SRW-style storylines but with Musou-style gameplay. Sure beats having to blast through 40+ stages with a guide next to you.
Old 2011-01-09, 19:32   Link #26
TJR

The 7th Guest. Time hasn't been kind to people's perception of this one, but it was a blast upon release. The game was a glorified collection of puzzles, but the musical score, pre-rendered CG, and FMV (used to depict movement through the mansion in the first person perspective) shone through at the time.

Police Quest. This was the game that introduced me to graphic adventures. People seemed to hate the design, which requires players to read the manual and adhere to specified police procedures, but that touch of realism made me love it.

Final Fight 2. A mindless beat 'em up. It looked good, controlled well, and was pretty fun.

World Heroes 2. Honestly, it's crap. Guess I was suckered by the fast speed (compared to most SNES fighting games) and humor, but it's unplayable by today's standards.

Space Adventure Cobra. Loved this for how bad it was - an unintentionally hilarious Japanese adventure. Replays weren't any fun though.

King Arthur & The Knights of Justice. This too was a model of a bad licensed game. NPC AI was quite amusing to watch.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:46   Link #27
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Koei games.

Samurai Warriors - I love to kill troves of enemies... just because.

Dynasty Warriors - I love to kill troves of enemies.... Just because.

Gundam Musou - Made from Explodium.

Edit: To elaborate on my point, Most (If not all) Koei games receive low marks due to their repetitive and mindless gameplay, as well as until recently, last gen graphics.

I'm rather fond of their games. Just because I enjoy ripping forces apart single-handedly and spending hours of the same thing. It sounds boring to some people, but I actually don't mind it.
+1

I've always and still do enjoy playing the the Musou games.
I can totally understand if people think it's crappy repetitve mindless gameplay cause in fact that is very much what it is tbut for me I too just love to cut through the groups of peons with big flashy attacks
Old 2011-01-09, 19:58   Link #28
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Definite edition being another way of saying "Good edition". Don't make me talk in small syllables... Please.
That's real cute. Save the insults when you actually know how to put a sentence together, okay?

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 18:47   Link #29
Otsdarva
Cadenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
That's real cute. Save the insults when you actually know how to put a sentence together, okay?
Edit: Actually, to keep things short, lets just say I don't have the best sentence-formation sometimes. -.-

Last edited by Otsdarva; 2011-01-10 at 19:14.
Old 2011-01-10, 19:11   Link #30
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
I tend to relapse and refer to different words in more or less inaccurate/incorrect words. I also tend to forget about that in particularly, so I didn't mean anything by it. :'P Don't be malicious now, okay?
Your sarcastic remark sure as hell was malicious.
----------

Armored Core, as stated at the top as well.

I love the game. The detail in the mechs, the depth of the statistic system, and the sheer competitiveness involved is a true gamers dream come true. The near-limitless customizable parts are great to experiment with, and the levels provide entertaining goals for the most part.

Yes the level-design could be better, but what do you expect? It's a wasteland of radiation? What, you want a giant gleaming city? Hell to the no!
Old 2011-01-10, 20:44   Link #31
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I also loved FFXIII, although I didn't much care for Snow, haha. He needed to calm down and learn not to try and tackle Barthandelus, it never worked. I mainly loved it for the gameplay, visuals, music, and pacing. And by gameplay I mean mainly the combat system. I love the battles in XIII SO much.

And FFX is my favorite game of all time, screw the haters. I love that game with an unhealthy passion.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 22:04   Link #32
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Nonsense. Hating on Sonic has been a popular pastime ever since Sonic Heroes was released. Since then it doesn't matter how good the games are, they get bashed into the ground all the same. This trend has been reinforced by Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, which by most accounts actually was a bad Sonic game.
Oh, ok so you're accusing me of being like those moronic fanboys who do things like complain about the fact that Sonic has green eyes and blue eyelids or scream stupid things like "Sonic is all about speed" and "Sonic should be the only character". Glad you're being reasonable. The thing is, I actually have legitimate reasons to dislike recent Sonic games. And I didn't need people to tell me Sonic Colours was good either, Sonic Colours actually looked good to me before it came out, it was the first Sonic game I ever pre-ordered.

That aside, all you did was bring up the 3 games that are considered to be least terrible from the past decade.

I have not played the latter two you mentioned, but I remember absolutely hating the sections in Sonic Heroes where you had to stop to defeat a bunch of enemies before you could actually proceed. It's annoying when you have to stop in a Sonic game when considering that traditionally Sonic games are about using the right mix of speed and platforming to make it through the level as fast as possible. It's just really dumb.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 22:46   Link #33
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is one of my favorite games, and may be my favorite Zelda. Not hated by critics, but it got a lot of complaints from fans. It is a flawed game, but a real big reason I like it so much is the visuals, and sometimes the game is surreal and it is wonderful when it is. Actually, there is a lot of surrealism in it, and the visuals play a big role in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmuffinmon View Post
I also loved FFXIII, although I didn't much care for Snow, haha. He needed to calm down and learn not to try and tackle Barthandelus, it never worked. I mainly loved it for the gameplay, visuals, music, and pacing. And by gameplay I mean mainly the combat system. I love the battles in XIII SO much.

And FFX is my favorite game of all time, screw the haters. I love that game with an unhealthy passion.
I love FFX...girls. I never played it, but there are some hot female characters in FF X.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-11 at 03:56.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 23:50   Link #34
kaisama

Samurai Warriors, I like killing hordes of enemies.

Super Robot Wars Neo, all I heard it: Waaaaa only G Gundam? No other Gundams!? Waaaaa system is different! Waaaaa I have no clue what these mecha's are, what is this jushin liger guy sound like a wrestler's name!! Waaaaa it's in 3D. Waaaaa it's on the Wii.

Fatal Frame IV, it does suffered from glitches though.

Naruto Shippuden Clash of Ninja Revolution III, it actually well received, most people bash it just because it's Wii, or it's Naruto, or both and they never play it, which is silly.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, the best first person slasher IMO.

Gothic series, they have dedicated fans but many critics seem to hate it. When PB did a living world that actually feel alive, they don't care, but a few years later Bethesda tried the same thing but with the stupid result, suddenly OMG best gaem evar!
kaisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 00:10   Link #35
Primary Consult

Chrono Cross. If you expected a sequel to Chrono Trigger of course you'd be disappointed, but as a standalone game tangentally related to the events of CT it was actually really enjoyable, and my favorite PS1 game. Hope they someday release it on PSN so I can play it on PSP.

FFXIII - Enjoyed the plot, and the linear feel goes away if you turn off the minimap (which I wished it would remember the setting for :/). Only core aspect of the game I didn't like was the inability to control other characters, and that if your party leader is down it's gg...

And yeah, FFX is still my fav Final Fantasy of all, and the only one I have replayed (beginning to end) multiple times.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 00:57   Link #36
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Alpha Protocol - Critics hated it because overall, the combat gameplay is wonky. I loved it because it was a rare Spy shooter RPG with a fun interactive story. Plus you can play it either stealthy or shooty style. And you can shape the characters personality over time with your dialogue options. And it actually sticks.See these clips.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 01:03   Link #37
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisama View Post
Fatal Frame IV, it does suffered from glitches though.
Fatal Frame IV is great! When I first got it I beat it 4 times in 1 week I also love Fatal Frame III, which a lot of people didn't like too...
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 02:40   Link #38
kaisama

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
Alpha Protocol - Critics hated it because overall, the combat gameplay is wonky. I loved it because it was a rare Spy shooter RPG with a fun interactive story. Plus you can play it either stealthy or shooty style. And you can shape the characters personality over time with your dialogue options. And it actually sticks.See these clips.
I forgot, I quite like Alpha Protocol...

I also like Neverwinter Nights 2 by Obsidian, Mask of the Betrayer is such a great expansion with great story, the only game where the evil path is very well done.

KOTORII, the ending is rushed but they managed to make the world of Star Wars more interesting than just light vs dark, don't know how it is with the restoration patch though.
kaisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 02:59   Link #39
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Not really sure if it qualifies to go here, but Shadow of the Colossus. Anyone who actually took the time to put the story together loved it, and those who didn't couldn't grasp how the game got Game of the Year for 2006
Old 2011-01-11, 05:16   Link #40
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Drakengard series, I find not a lot of people enjoyed it in my area. I absolutely enjoyed it, being able to crush enemies on the group or wreak havoc from above. The music can drive you a little bonkers though. All and all I thought it was a very well written story, mind you quite crazy (though I enjoy an insane story). However, many people I know said they disliked the game. To me it's one of my favourite slasher games along with Chaos Legion (another not so loved game by people I know).
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote