AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-05, 18:25   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Count me in with those who were pleasantly surprised by this series' premier ep. Pretty good on many levels (though the rooftop horse races made me giggle in a facepalm'y way).

I like the MCs, and especially the rogue/trickster male lead with the red haired afro and scarred face - reminds me a little of Lupin of anime movie fame somehow, except now he has a tail!

Am interested to see what happens next. Will tentatively commit to this one.
Old 2014-10-05, 19:42   Link #22
Esclair

Oh, one thing I don't quite understand. Does everyone turn into a card when they die?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 19:49   Link #23
Tenzen12

I don't think so. It looked to me, that transformation into card is feature of bounty hounters bracelet so it either transform only wanted criminals or hunter can control it by will.
Old 2014-10-05, 19:58   Link #24
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think so. It looked to me, that transformation into card is feature of bounty hounters bracelet so it either transform only wanted criminals or hunter can control it by will.
Yeah Favaro used the bracelet to turn those guys into cards.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 20:05   Link #25
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
The first thing that came to mind was how "Western" this show is. In the first scene it seemed like something right out of LOTR mixed with Final Fantasy. However, the transition to present day? Right out of something like Pirates of the Caribbean, or some hilarious Old West adventure. And the Old West, mixed with magic? Even better! I loved every minute of it. It had great animation, great action, great music, and was downright hilarious.
"Western Adventure" is exactly right, and was my first thought five minutes into the episode; The fight between Favaro and Kaiser was hugely reminiscent of POTC's brand of action-adventure (especially that wheel moment, plucked straight out of Dead Man's Chest). From Favero to the music and everything in between, it really does carve out a very different "swashbuckling adventure" identity for itself that you're don't expect in anime; oddly enough, Space Dandy, another hugely western-influenced show, was my immediate comparison. Bahamut is not the most exciting of the season thus far, but it has good potential to be something interesting.

MAPPA really is an odd one to deliver these unique series at the expense of commercial appeal; like Zankyou before, I'm already seeing the warning signs of a commercial disaster, especially because of roguish Favaro (as far away from a typical fantasy anime MC as you'd probably find) and the general swashbuckling tone of the setting.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2014-10-05 at 20:26.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 20:09   Link #26
Domonkazu

meh I dunno, I just don't like the main character, he is like big talker assholes.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 20:24   Link #27
desrtsku
Nympholept

That fantastic animation.
That beautiful art style.
Those pretty colours.
That music.
That demon girl. (still waiting for the twintail one (cerberus?) from the PV too)

Those are enough for a superficial guy like me to stick to an anime 'till the end. Why is MAPPA so great?
But on top of the style being top notch I like the substance in there as well. I find the setting pretty interesting with all these magic things, demons, summons and mythological elements. The main guy is actually damn likeable (at least for my weird tastes), he feels like an afro Jack Sparrow with magic. More importantly, it's actually funny.
I'm on board and I won't get off the boat even if it leads me to hell. Well, I do want to see Cerberus anyway, so it's a win/win.
Old 2014-10-05, 20:30   Link #28
Somnus
Eh?

*Watches Ep. 1*

Yeah.

I'm in.

Talk about hitting all the right notes. The facial design of the two guy MCs was the only irk I had, but that went away quickly. I'm sticking this one out 'til the end, for better or poorer. Though I doubt that'll be much of an issue.
Old 2014-10-05, 20:57   Link #29
Bogart
Banned

That wasn't half bad. I hope it doesn't get weird.
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:15   Link #30
BigFire

Amazing opening episode

Lets just say that my socks are officially blown off. Based on the preview commercial, there doesn't seem to be any let up in production quality. Guess this show was already licensed before airing, so they took some of the offshore licensing fee to good use, and we're seeing the result of it. Gorgeous animation and music.
BigFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 21:28   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll have to go against the grain and say I wasn't particularly excited about this first episode. It had some solid moments, but nothing that really pulled me in. Didn't really get that attached to the MC either, though could see how some might like the guy.
Old 2014-10-05, 23:51   Link #32
Bogart
Banned

So if Favaro goes demonic, does that mean that Kaisar will become god-like?

Apparently it's based on a card game. Feel free to look up the character designs to get an idea what to expect.

I tell you what though, it's not every day I get to see a demon girl that means business in action. Especially with such swift and powerful kicks.

Last edited by Bogart; 2014-10-06 at 00:16.
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:58   Link #33
MgMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
MAPPA really is an odd one to deliver these unique series at the expense of commercial appeal; like Zankyou before, I'm already seeing the warning signs of a commercial disaster, especially because of roguish Favaro (as far away from a typical fantasy anime MC as you'd probably find) and the general swashbuckling tone of the setting.
I think it'll have more success than Zankyou nevertheless, the reasons being simple: better looking,more action,summoned monsters and some fanservice.

Zankyou was a show that NEEDED more depth & characterization to understand why 9 & 12 were performing terrorist acts. Shingeki no Bahamut doesn't seem to be in as much need for that and viewers can enjoy the over-the-top & superb-looking action scenes along with a fun protagonist such as Favaro that probably won't need as much characterization for people to like him.

Anyway,talk about being surprised. I was expecting some card game anime or something but my below average expectations were just pleasantly shattered
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 03:12   Link #34
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
This anime is too much like Tokyo ESP in terms of executing the fights and such. I felt like the action scenes were really lacking, ESPECIALLY the sound effects. Hard to get into the mood with so boring and lacking sound sfx even if the combat itself is supposed to be intense.

No need to watch this further it seems ..
Old 2014-10-06, 04:52   Link #35
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 05:18   Link #36
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
it seems Favaro was a rather cocky but otherwise determined character who just wants to do anything he wants, he even loves women too!
And there was the part where he threw a kiss to Kaisar. That whole scene was hilarious, from the boy throwing the apple to Favaro accidentally skewering it, and throwing it to Kaisar who was all srs bzns about it. Nice character moment for both.

If there's one thing I'm not really enthusiastic about in this show is the soundtrack - frankly I think it doesn't have much personality and not playful enough for the show. I hope it'll improve later...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 06:24   Link #37
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
This anime is too much like Tokyo ESP in terms of executing the fights and such. I felt like the action scenes were really lacking, ESPECIALLY the sound effects. Hard to get into the mood with so boring and lacking sound sfx even if the combat itself is supposed to be intense.

No need to watch this further it seems ..
There are definitely issues with the sound, but I'm not sure if that's because of the budget or because of the file quality. The version I had was labeled as 720p but it certainly did not look as clear as it should. DVD quality, at best.

But as far as content and overall design is concerned, consider me blown away. This was incredibly good and I genuinely haven't felt such a sense of adventure in the first episode of a show in a very long time. There's definitely a feeling of Karas, Claymore, Pirates of the Caribbean, some Lupin, even a bit of Road to Eldorado mixed in....if someone said this was made for western anime audiences I would easily believe them.

Honestly, this felt like a breath of fresh air.
Old 2014-10-06, 06:30   Link #38
Gundamx

FF feeling at start was strong than it change to wild arms

hell, even first fight look like FFXIV 1.2 end of era
plus scene they didn't show to us where big shot summoner like Odin start joining the battle after we get teleport to future
(future = FFXIV 2.0)

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

edit: thanks god I didn't ignore it when I read it was based on the online card game but it have nothing to do with card fight

Last edited by Gundamx; 2014-10-06 at 07:41.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 07:02   Link #39
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
I also instantly thought about this (including End of an era) when I saw the opening scene. Then, it went slightly Pirates of the Caribbean with Favaro and Kaiser, before going full Birdy the Mighty with the demon girl.
Old 2014-10-06, 09:27   Link #40
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post

hell, even first fight look like FFXIV 1.2 end of era
plus scene they didn't show to us where big shot summoner like Odin start joining the battle after we get teleport to future
(future = FFXIV 2.0)

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

edit: thanks god I didn't ignore it when I read it was based on the online card game but it have nothing to do with card fight
Ah, you thought of Final Fantasy, too. The whole beginning scene reminded me of that, mixed with the prologue to Lord of the Rings, since you have a battle that happened 2000 years ago, where three armies of humans, demons, and gods coming together to stop this one great evil that threatens them all. And of course, that evil is now coming back after a couple thousand years hiatus.

And whoever decided that pressing the point that it was based on a card game in the summary, needs to be fired. I know a lot of people who were put off and unsure of this show because of that. And yet this show really seems to have NOTHING to do with card games. It's completely fantasy/ adventure. I hope more people give this a chance since it's really quite awesome.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy