AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 11 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 144 54.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 23.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 4.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.29%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-24, 00:09   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for 11:
Old 2011-06-24, 00:33   Link #62
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm going to let it sink in a bit...I think this is the kind of episode that needs to be watched in a certain mood to get the most out of it. It's not an episode that will survive a cynical or embarrassed mood -- you'll be too bothered by many of the scenes -- but will touch the heart when you are sensitive and receptive to it.

I will note though that in all the waterworks Menma cried the least, and only once -- at the very end. Jintan, 2nd. But then, he has always holed it up inside (the wish!).

Anaru was practically beaten by Tsuruko though! That's many years' worth of tears right there, the poor girl. Poppo, too, exploded. Yukiatsu simply substituted his usual guarded hostility for honest tears, and became a much more pleasant person in a heartbeat.
Old 2011-06-24, 00:35   Link #63
deadite

I hope no one tramples the blooming forget-me-not by the tree.
Old 2011-06-24, 00:59   Link #64
Riou17
Red☆Crystal

I. Cried. A. Lot.

This is the only slice-of-life anime that made me cry so much. I even have to pause the video after the shrine scene because I can't stop crying. So...here are my thoughts after watching the last episode:

Spoiler:

I give the ending a 9/10.

P.S. that slow-mo scene at the river was just a red herring, huh?
Old 2011-06-24, 01:05   Link #65
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Not a surprising ending at all. But well executed. The crying was a bit overdone, but understandable in the context of them finally venting about the events of those years ago, missing Menma, and then rediscovering her as a full on vision to say goodbye at the end. Great show overall.

Also, Poppo carrying that memory of seeing Menma go like that must have been torturing him for years. I could see how he dropped out and went his own way for the longest time.
Old 2011-06-24, 01:12   Link #66
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

This is the first time I've cried in about one year. However I'm not going to count the time one of my friends took a particularly large onion and held it to my face. Emotional tears only.

When Poppo stated his selfish reasons for passing Menma to heaven, I was moved and surprised. Everyone else was ruled guilty before they even started crying at the verdict. But Poppo... this is the guy who hasn't cried all season. Finally, Poppo's motivation for all of his actions becomes clear. Poppo was trapped inside the secret base because he couldn't forgive himself for Menma's death.

On top of Poppo there's Tsuruko, who also decides to break out the inner feelings. This is a girl who's accepted her inferiority as a character, but thinks accepting her role makes her better than someone who tries resisting the natural order. No way. If you're hurting deep inside, friends are there so you don't have to suffer alone. Tsuruko is jealous of Anaru, because Anaru has the courage to confess to someone she knows doesn't even like her.

After episode 5 I predicted Yukiatsu and Anaru would become a couple by the end of the show; I am very pleased my prediction turned false. True friendship and true love don't have to be the same thing. Jinta doesn't have to love Anaru to be her friend, nor does Yukiatsu have to love Tsuruko. And they're not friends simply because they're romantically attracted to each other. They're friends because they have fun together.

Was the ending rushed? I'd say there's way too much happening to stuff all into one episode. When everyone could finally see Menma for the last time, I knew at least some of the viewers would accuse the writer of changing the rules so blatantly to suit the occasion. I think the Super Peace Busters deserved to see Menma one last time. Sure the scene could have been introduced better with something leading up to Menma's visibility, but I'll take what is given.

There was certainly a lot of crying. Many posters have stated the constant stream of tears wears off after the first episode or so... for me the emotional effect builds upward, because I can't help but feel more and more sympathy for the characters as they reveal more and more of their true feelings. One sad story after another, and now the final tale finally gets laid to rest.

Episode 11 Rating: Truthfully it's 9/10, but since this episode made me cry like a baby, it gets a one-point bonus to 10/10.

PS. I don't understand why people say the ending was predictable... the ending is certainly unsurprising (except for Poppo's confession) but I doubt I could have stated with even marginal accuracy what was to happen. I had no idea the show would end with the line "Menma!!! We found you!!!"
Old 2011-06-24, 01:12   Link #67
farios

That hairpin Tsuruko wearing...that's not the hairpin Yukiatsu gave(well try to) to Mema years ago right? So does that mean Yukiatsu give the new one to Tsuruko? I hope so
Old 2011-06-24, 01:24   Link #68
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Was crying most of the time. Sure, there was the entire cast crying at the temple that made we want to laugh, but otherwise, was pretty darn emotional.

But Tsuruko... her frigging SMILE behind that textbook. I !#%!ing died!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farios View Post
That hairpin Tsuruko wearing...that's not the hairpin Yukiatsu gave(well try to) to Mema years ago right? So does that mean Yukiatsu give the new one to Tsuruko? I hope so
It's most probably the new hairpin back during the crossdressing fiasco. So while JintanXAnaru is still quite ambiguous, Yukiatsu giving away such an important and significant item (in comparison to say, Jintan giving back the kerchief) such as that makes me consider them a couple now.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-06-24, 01:36   Link #69
Riou17
Red☆Crystal

I watched the episode again, but this time I'm composed. Though I'm going to admit I still cried.

The shouting scene doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I think it's appropriate in that scene.
Old 2011-06-24, 01:46   Link #70
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for 11:
Honestly I can't put it any better than this.

In fact I wasn't bothered at all that they didn't show her reincarnation, I thought they went way beyond the call of duty to be honest. Way, way, beyond it.

So yeah, this series was fucking amazing.

Another notch on that list of shows that makes me proud to be a fucking otaku.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-06-24, 01:59   Link #71
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

REVIEW

This is how slice of life/dramas should be made. The way this series ended, this episode, is very satisfying.
Old 2011-06-24, 02:06   Link #72
deadite

Her reincarnation is kind of implied though. I mean they focus on a blooming Forget-me-not growing by the tree where she finally passed on. Also, I kind of wish that flashback of Poppo was voiced. I would like to have heard Aki Toyosaki handle that scene.

Last edited by deadite; 2011-06-24 at 02:24.
Old 2011-06-24, 03:01   Link #73
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Her reincarnation is kind of implied though. I mean they focus on a blooming Forget-me-not growing by the tree where she finally passed on.
I guess you could interpret it like that. I saw it as symbolism more than anything (since it is referenced in the show and the title itself). They'll never forget about Menma.

I have to admit, it got to me. I choked up and cried a bit. I don't look forward to endings in anime, not just because the show is over, but because they tend to rush things and don't end well. This on the other hand was really well done and couldn't have ended better.

This for me was a really cathartic series. There is a loss of innocence as you grow into an adult, and the nostalgic/sentimental chords struck all the right places. I know some won't understand what I mean, because we all grow up differently. Some might even find the ending "silly" because of the "over acting"....but to me it hit home.

I don't think this is the kind of show you can enjoy by dissecting it in an analytical manner. You have to enjoy it because it hits the right places in your heart.
Old 2011-06-24, 03:10   Link #74
Kyuu
=^^=

I read some of the spoilers. I've yet to get the episode.. waiting on UTW. And... nice to know some things to look forward to.

:3
Old 2011-06-24, 03:28   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Finale and Series review:

I'm kind of glad Denpa Onna was off this week, because there honestly isn't enough room in my psyche for anything else tonight - I'm putting off the finale of "C" till tomorrow as is, because there's no way I could give it a real chance after this.

I hope folks who didn't care for the end, especially the temple scene, will give it another chance. Really think that scene came off exactly as intended - right down to the symbolism of the Busters finally returning to calling each other by their Busters names.
Old 2011-06-24, 03:39   Link #76
VentAileron

I agree with the people that the ending is a pretty generic and predictable one. The general execution has been great though. I only have a few complaints...

I kind of just rolled my eyes when Poppo revealed his tidbit. It was too sudden, too late and a too desperate attempt to give him a story to tell too. Everyone going 'Wahh!' after that was just as ridiculous.

Menma disappearing and thus, unable to move much on her own is a bit of a cliched 'suspense by time pressure' premise. It's barely used as a plot-device though, so it's forgivable.

In my opinion, the epilogue was a bit too short. The thing I've missed the most in the epilogue was that Menma's familiy didn't show up even once; it's all about the Super Peace Busters. It would've been appropriate to give them a few seconds, since Menma's mother needs to move on too.
Old 2011-06-24, 03:59   Link #77
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Watched ep 10 then 11.

I didn't cried but i felt something at my stomach lol , last time i cried for an anime , it was for Clannad.
That was a good show , we don't often saw this kind of show so it was a big surprise this year.
Good ending with all the last explanations. And i agree for Poppo , it was so sudden but well.

9/10. More anime like this are welcome.
Old 2011-06-24, 05:26   Link #78
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

So Menma fell and just drowned. I thought it was going to be more serious but its all good. It would've been nice if Poppo had more development since the highlight of his character is this episode.
Old 2011-06-24, 06:15   Link #79
User68604
Disabled By Request

manly tears have been shed
Old 2011-06-24, 06:58   Link #80
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Oh man, what a bawfest. Even I almost cried. How ironic that Menma's true wish was to make Jinta cry

A shame this finale was tainted by an insane amount of over acting. It was very hard not to laugh during some scenes, particularly in the first half. Thankfully, the finale scene (which we successfully predicted after the first episode) was masterfully well executed, so I can overlook the over dramatic melodrama of the first half.

One thing that didn't sit well with me about this ending however, is that everyone suddenly becoming BFF again (why do I say again? They were never even all truly friends) wasn't very believable, particularly when it comes to Yukiatsu. It was just way too fast.