AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2005-01-04, 04:47   Link #1
snake64

char's counterattack (SPOILERS)

i've watched char's counterattack many times before when i first got it (around a year ago) and i've talked too a few people about the ending, not the whole ending but mainly what happens to char and amuro. i just dismissed it as they both died but other's have said that they live and go missing and other things like that. i'm just interested in what the rest of you thought about it and see if maybe what i thought could be wrong or right
snake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 05:19   Link #2
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Send a message via AIM to [UKE]Auel Send a message via MSN to [UKE]Auel
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake64
i've watched char's counterattack many times before when i first got it (around a year ago) and i've talked too a few people about the ending, not the whole ending but mainly what happens to char and amuro. i just dismissed it as they both died but other's have said that they live and go missing and other things like that. i'm just interested in what the rest of you thought about it and see if maybe what i thought could be wrong or right
They're definitely dead. They died in the manga, and some fans still foolishly believe that they still lived in the anime. But no, they're most definitely dead. They just need to accept it and move on. As much as I love Amuro, he's just an anime character, and he is dead.
[UKE]Auel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 08:49   Link #3
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by [UKE]Auel
They're definitely dead. They died in the manga, and some fans still foolishly believe that they still lived in the anime. But no, they're most definitely dead. They just need to accept it and move on. As much as I love Amuro, he's just an anime character, and he is dead.
They died, but they turned into those little particles so they're floating around in space with Chan and probabaly Lala too and I'm sure Char particles piss off Amuro particles and they then smack the hell out of each other from time to time...

FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 09:01   Link #4
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

they... have become stars in the sky... so to speak...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 09:22   Link #5
SlugZilla
woofles

It doesn't matter if they're dead or alive, their story is over, so you can assume they are dead. They wanted to end Char and Amuro's story in that movie and it was a good decision how that it remained mysterious whether they were dead or alive. Even if everyone hoped that they were alive or they actually manged to survive, they are never going to come back in the future, in other words the Amuro/Char saga is DONE.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 09:27   Link #6
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Weren't Char's memories preserved in a crystal in Gaia Gear? But then again, that no longer is part of the UC canon, so what I said is neither here nor there. They're dead, and poor Chan too.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 09:42   Link #7
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
Weren't Char's memories preserved in a crystal in Gaia Gear? But then again, that no longer is part of the UC canon, so what I said is neither here nor there. They're dead, and poor Chan too.
That's his memory clone Afranshi, not Char himself. Probably the plan to clone Char was done before he met his demise, so it didn't matter if he died or not.
Old 2005-01-04, 10:06   Link #8
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

OK, I never read the manga so I wouldn't know. Too bad for Char's death. No clone for you!

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 10:41   Link #9
Esper 28
Akira

I remember a thread about this a long time ago on the boards of Gundam.com and I remember how some people truly believed Char and Amuro didn't die at the end of Char's Counterattack. I never quite understood how they could think that, honestly.

What FlyByNite said is absolutely true. Their "essences" can be seen flying around at the end of CCA around the asteroid. To be more specific, there are three spirits flying around, one leading the way and two swirling around each other as though they were fighting. It's believed the first one is Lalah and then the other two are Char and Amuro.

Back in the day, I took a screenshot of it but I'm not really in the position to do that at the moment but yeah, if someone else could take a screenshot I'd appreciate it. It's right at the end either just before or during the credits. I can't recall. But it, in my opinion, is undeniable proof that they're deader than dead.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen anyone post here claiming they're alive...which is nice to see. I figured there'd be people who were adamant they survived. Those people are usually just being ignorant, though.
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 11:04   Link #10
SlugZilla
woofles

There is a part where you can clearly see a streak of light.
Spoiler:
Old 2005-01-04, 12:20   Link #11
snake64

i'm glad people arent saying that here as well, i think it was quite obvious that they werent going to make through that. in any case, char's counterattack, imo, was definitely one of the best installations into the gundam series and the biggest payoff in the gundam series was watching quess get killed

EDIT: instead of making a new thread i'll ask here. whats the deal with mobile suit gundam: side story? i heard it was an ova version of blue destiny http://images.animetoxic.com/cover/J101-A038.jpg

Last edited by snake64; 2005-01-04 at 13:02.
Old 2005-01-04, 14:04   Link #12
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
I just recognized the 2 Gundams in the background. One of them is RX-78-4 and the other is RX-78-5. They are designed by Katoki and got released as MG plastic models. Problem is I'm unsure which is which...
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 14:13   Link #13
snake64

i believe blue one is the rx-78-4 the red one is the rx-78-5. the main character is said to be yu kajima so it would have to be an ova version of blue destiny but didnt blue destiny involve gm's? (i was never lucky enough to find blue destiny in any book stores)

EDIT: just checked around and it's not yu kajima, the people who told me that were very wrong. it's ford longfellow romfellow or something. i looked into my encounters in space game and the ova actually has it's own sotry thats in the game so i played through it again (this time paying attention to whats there of the story) and it's story is pretty good, i think i'll be picking this ova up very soon

Last edited by snake64; 2005-01-04 at 14:31.
Old 2005-01-04, 14:27   Link #14
Abicion
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Abicion
Char and Amuro are dead. Tomino said it himself in some interview years back.

I really like how ignorant fans come up with all these dumb theories about how they survived. Regardless of the fact that it destroys the beauty of the entire movie ...
Abicion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 14:35   Link #15
snake64

it really does seem impossible to live through something like that, even if you're in a gundam. i think it was a great ending for the two and it helped make the series even better. lets hope gundam seed destiny doesnt totally screw up seed though and has good ending
Old 2005-01-04, 14:37   Link #16
FlyByNite

Lemme ask a question about CCA that I've always wondered. Is that Christina Mackenzie we see for like 5 seconds on a beach? I know her hair is darker, but I always wondered why they'd bother putting in a random character being addressed as 'christina' at that point in the movie.
Old 2005-01-04, 14:57   Link #17
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
You know, I've noticed that too... cameo appearance perhaps.

Now if only Sayla made a cameo in CCA... or heck, replace Chan. I'll love CCA even more.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 15:11   Link #18
snake64

there were quite a few charactersi would have loved to see in that movie like kamille but it's great as it is

EDIT: just thought of something, wasnt 0080 released after char's counterattack was released?
Old 2005-01-04, 15:36   Link #19
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT
You know, I've noticed that too... cameo appearance perhaps.

Now if only Sayla made a cameo in CCA... or heck, replace Chan. I'll love CCA even more.
I just realized Amuro has the lamest last words ever

Char : You're one to talk -- you killer of my mother (figure), Lalah Sune!
Amuro : Your MOTHER? Lalah?! WT... :explodes:

It's sort of tragic yet funny to see the two bitter enemies go down not in the heat of a duel, or by having them mutually destroy each other in a kamikaze attack, but bickering at each other in a final argument as they slowly die.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 16:51   Link #20
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph
I just realized Amuro has the lamest last words ever

Char : You're one to talk -- you killer of my mother (figure), Lalah Sune!
Amuro : Your MOTHER? Lalah?! WT... :explodes:

It's sort of tragic yet funny to see the two bitter enemies go down not in the heat of a duel, or by having them mutually destroy each other in a kamikaze attack, but bickering at each other in a final argument as they slowly die.
Yea that final sequence being their last words is pretty hillarious. I always thought Char was in love with Lalah romantically, maybe he's got an oedipus complex?