AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 17 29.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 26.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 31.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-02, 14:53   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Spice and Wolf II - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Spice and Wolf II, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-09-02, 17:47   Link #2
ThoHell

I just can't say this enough: Horo is awesome and Lawrence is an idiot. Be a man already Lawrence! Just look at Horo and her behavior, what kind of man is Lawrence? Take the dang relationship to the next lvl already!
Old 2009-09-02, 17:56   Link #3
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
Just look at Horo and her behavior, what kind of man is Lawrence?
A hu-man.

*ba-dum-pshhh*

(remember kids, an apple a day keeps the bad jokes away )
Old 2009-09-02, 18:38   Link #4
SpicyKitty

Is Episode 9 out already? I've been searching for it but can't find it.
Old 2009-09-02, 20:18   Link #5
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Story isn't moving at an interesting pace, unfortunately... A good amount of Horo and Lawrence interacting, which is a good thing, but when you mainly only get that for a few episodes in a row.......
Can't say I found the new characters interesting...

The art/visuals were a bit off in a few spots too (Horo's was particularly noticeable).

Well... Something seems to be starting, so looking forward (I guess) to it. I doubt Lawrence would sell her...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-09-02, 23:40   Link #6
gonzo562

only 4 episodes left the story need to pick up
Old 2009-09-03, 01:12   Link #7
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The hell? What kind of question was that?
Old 2009-09-03, 01:30   Link #8
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Oooooo at the cliffhanger ending.

Spoiler for just in case:

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-09-03, 03:19   Link #9
HandofFate

argh, I feel over at the damn cliff-hanger ending.

Spoiler for episode 9 impressions:
Old 2009-09-03, 04:10   Link #10
Mr. Anime

nice episode^^, why do so many of u always complain that the plot didnt advance? The HoroLawrence interaction is one of the selling points of this story, why should they make less of them? Besides i think its going forward just fine, a good anime should have as many episodes as possible (as long as u dont have to watch fillers) because it needs time to build a relationship.
but WTF is this crazy woman up to? Asking lawrence to sell his love out of the blue?
I am excited to see in which way lawrence is goint to turn her down and what ll happen next week and now i am curious about the number of guys/wolves whatsoever that she had a relationship with. At first i thought her fingers did count them but when lawrence asked her how many what could the expression on her face mean? she obviously wanted to tease lawrence with the number so it might be a lie but it could have been the truth. If its revealed in the novel some1 plz tell me about it^^

Spoiler for what i think when horo said its scary:
Old 2009-09-03, 04:22   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Can't say I found the new characters interesting...
It was fun to hear Uchida Yuya voice a happy character for a change.
Old 2009-09-03, 04:29   Link #12
Windows X

Spoiler for It's just that simple about what she's scared of...:
Old 2009-09-03, 05:26   Link #13
pacific
Banned

I thought that was a nice episode. Sure, it did not have any crazy twist turns, but the ending left you a bit dump-founded, not like "zomg what Lawrence might choose?" but about what that woman is after. I mean, she is a smart seemingly merchant, she can tell that Horo is a very important person to Lawrence, why would she ask him to sell her, when she knows she will get a negative reply?

As for Horo/Lawrence interaction, as usual i thought it was entertaining, funny and meaningful at the same time. I believe, that Horo is just scared, of losing those happiness moments with him. Or rather, she knows she will, since the lifespan of a human and a pagan are different, and the realization might just kicked her in.
As forx2 how companions she had in the past, i think she might have had, since she does seem to know a lot about how males react and stuff (also in one epi in s1, said that males fail to keep their promises, leading us to believe, she had a bad experience maybe) but her sad-longing face when Lawrence asked her, was a bit confusing.

Anyway, (fuck this was a long post, lol) nice episode, let us see what the next one holds.
Old 2009-09-03, 09:58   Link #14
deranged_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows X View Post
Spoiler for It's just that simple about what she's scared of...:
yeah and stupid lawrence for not realizing that~~
Old 2009-09-03, 10:46   Link #15
BashZeStampeedo

I don't know how Lawrence resisted not jumping on Horo in this episode. Good lord, the man has willpower (for better or worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deranged_02 View Post
yeah and stupid lawrence for not realizing that~~
I think he has, but he doesn't know what to do about it. The way he acts, it's like he's holding back not for his sake, but for hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific View Post
..the ending left you a bit dump-founded, not like "zomg what Lawrence might choose?" but about what that woman is after.
Well, given how careless Horo's been behaving in public lately (wagging her tail, devouring food and ale like a black hole), I'm sure Abe would have figured her out by now. I get the impression that Lawrence is about to lose his money (and maybe get hurt) in a desperate attempt to be knightly and save Horo.

He's been calling her a princess and being as romantic as his limited abilities will permit. He's acting as though just professing his love or being intimate won't be good enough, and that he has to prove his worth to Horo. The saddest thing is that this time he seems to really be doing everything for Horo's sake. He is even skipping meals to treat her like a princess.

Quote:
..Horo knows .. the lifespan of a human and a pagan are different, and the realization might just kicked her in.
I think both Horo and Lawrence have been worried about this for a while now, if not right from the beginning. It's very sad to see both of them biting their tongues on purpose, but it also goes to show just how much they really do love one another. They genuinely fear and loathe the end of their journey.

Quote:
..Horo said that males fail to keep their promises, leading us to believe, she had a bad experience maybe) but her sad-longing face when Lawrence asked her, was a bit confusing.
Yeah, it seems that she has to learn to trust Lawrence just like he had to learn to trust her. Maybe that's what this arc is really all about. After all she's said about males and humans, I don't think she is quite ready to be with one of them (again). Or, if she does trust him, she is unintentionally sending Lawrence subtly mixed signals, and winding him up like a cheap clock.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:32   Link #16
pacific
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
I don't know how Lawrence resisted not jumping on Horo in this episode. Good lord, the man has willpower (for better or worse).
Haha, true that. I did lol though, when Horo changed clumsily bed-side and Lawrence was "fff."

Quote:
Well, given how careless Horo's been behaving in public lately (wagging her tail, devouring food and ale like a black hole), I'm sure Abe would have figured her out by now. I get the impression that Lawrence is about to lose his money (and maybe get hurt) in a desperate attempt to be knightly and save Horo.
I do get the impression, that Abe might blackmail him or something. But at this point, Lawrence will do anything to keep Horo with him, that is pretty much canon.

Quote:
I
Yeah, it seems that she has to learn to trust Lawrence just like he had to learn to trust her. Maybe that's what this arc is really all about. After all she's said about males and humans, I don't think she is quite ready to be with one of them (again). Or, if she does trust him, she is unintentionally sending Lawrence subtly mixed signals, and winding him up like a cheap clock.
I think they reached that mutual-agreement back in episode 6, now it is all a matter of being openly-open to each other, and let their feelings to clearly show in the love-field, towards each other. I guess, we have to wait and see.
Old 2009-09-03, 11:55   Link #17
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
I think they reached that mutual-agreement back in episode 6, now it is all a matter of being openly-open to each other, and let their feelings to clearly show in the love-field, towards each other. I guess, we have to wait and see.
Yes, I guess I should have been more specific. The kind of trust they already have is pretty deep, but they still don't trust each other so completely as to form the kind of bond that will leave Horo more lonely in the long-run.

I like the parallels and differences this story has to the "soldier worried about leaving behind widows" angle. Lawrence is not a soldier and he and Horo have time to make a choice (ie, it's not just "burn the love away while we can"). There is a kind of certain doom involved that would make such feelings more difficult to explore.

This is where you'd usually end up with either "cold, hard reality" or "deus ex machina" endings. Can't wait to see if there is this story adds another twist to it
Old 2009-09-03, 12:09   Link #18
pacific
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I guess I should have been more specific. The kind of trust they already have is pretty deep, but they still don't trust each other so completely as to form the kind of bond that will leave Horo more lonely in the long-run.

I like the parallels and differences this story has to the "soldier worried about leaving behind widows" angle. Lawrence is not a soldier and he and Horo have time to make a choice (ie, it's not just "burn the love away while we can"). There is a kind of certain doom involved that would make such feelings more difficult to explore.

This is where you'd usually end up with either "cold, hard reality" or "deus ex machina" endings. Can't wait to see if there is this story adds another twist to it
Pretty much yes, in everything you said.

Btw, i have only followed the anime so i am not really familiar with the novels and stuff, but the anime adaption follows closely (as much as it can, at least) the novels, or has it taken any different route?
From what i know, the novels are still on-going, right?
Old 2009-09-03, 12:45   Link #19
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Pretty much yes, in everything you said.

Btw, i have only followed the anime so i am not really familiar with the novels and stuff, but the anime adaption follows closely (as much as it can, at least) the novels, or has it taken any different route?
From what i know, the novels are still on-going, right?
I've also only really followed the anime. Recently I started reading the fan-translations of the novels, which I believe are still on-going (13 volumes, 12 of which are released, unless I'm wrong). But from what I can see so far the anime follows it closely, only topped by the manga.

The biggest difference so far is that Chloe in the first few episodes was a guy in the novels who isn't as attached to Lawrence as Chloe was (guess they needed to show just how bad Lawrence was with the ladies). Lawrence also wasn't as much of a wuss when he first met Horo (ie, doesn't pass out when he sees her transform/etc). Otherwise, it seems much closer to the story than I expected it to be.
Old 2009-09-03, 13:14   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I've also only really followed the anime. Recently I started reading the fan-translations of the novels, which I believe are still on-going (13 volumes, 12 of which are released, unless I'm wrong). But from what I can see so far the anime follows it closely, only topped by the manga.

The biggest difference so far is that Chloe in the first few episodes was a guy in the novels who isn't as attached to Lawrence as Chloe was (guess they needed to show just how bad Lawrence was with the ladies). Lawrence also wasn't as much of a wuss when he first met Horo (ie, doesn't pass out when he sees her transform/etc). Otherwise, it seems much closer to the story than I expected it to be.
I believe I remember the author even saying he wished he could go back and rewrite his novel with Chloe in it -- he agreed it add a lot of texture to the character's connection with Lawrence. The manga has been exceptional... I'm just sad it comes out so slowly.