AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2013-03-22, 09:00   Link #761
Kirarakim

This made me think of Shin Sekai Yori

Frans de Waal | The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates (A)

Drawing on a wealth of pioneering research, esteemed primatologist Frans de Waal traces the biological roots of human morality to primate social emotions, including empathy, reciprocity, and fairness in The Bonobo and the Atheist. Named one of Time’s 100 Most Influential People, he is the C. H. Candler Professor in Emory University’s Psychology Department. His many works include Our Inner Ape, Chimpanzee Politics: Power and Sex among Apes, and The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society. Dr. de Waal is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences, and directs the Living Links at the Yerkes National Primate Research Center.
Old 2013-03-23, 13:08   Link #762
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I had an adviser in grad school who's interests lay in chimpanzees. My own interests were always microscopic in scale, but it was always fun to listen to him ramble on about chimp society and its parallels to human society when we'd gather for our weekly meeting at the local dive bar. I don't think there is any question among primate researchers that "humanism" exists among primates, though I do think it's amusing that you, or whoever you copied/pasted from, are highlighting "empathy, reciprocity, and fairness". While I wouldn't argue against any of those, I'd say other (non-human) primates are equally (and, in some ways, more), capable of exhibiting less...positive traits of humanism as well.

I suppose there's a real possibility some day really far down the line, long after my bones are crumbling into dust, that there could be sticky questions for society in regards to humans and other primates. Certainly could make for an exciting time to live.

In other news, any word on when the Blu-Ray's for Shin Sekai Yori will be available? This is a show I wouldn't mind having physical media of some kind for.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 14:22   Link #763
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
In other news, any word on when the Blu-Ray's for Shin Sekai Yori will be available? This is a show I wouldn't mind having physical media of some kind for.
Sentai has licensed it but they have not announced their plans for it yet.
Old 2013-03-24, 07:13   Link #764
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Cantus users in SSY are worthless when death is upon them... majority of them that is... Look at the village!!! Damn it!!!

Anyway... Overall, its a good series...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 19:10   Link #765
Dawnstorm

A couple of weeks ago I was typing a post, while a certain Eric Clapton song played on the radio, and now I keep having this song in my ear:

What'll you do when you get lonely,
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.

Squealer, got me on my knees
Squealer, begging daimyou please
Squealer, daimyou won't you ease my worried mind?

I tried to give you consolation
When your queen has let you down
Like a fool I put my trust in you
Turned my whole world upside down

Squealer, etc.

Let's make the best of the situation
Before I finally go insane
Please don't say we'll never find a way
And tell me all my hope's in vain.

Squealer, etc.

It's scary how little you have to change the lyrics.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 19:23   Link #766
Kirarakim

You know that screams for an AMV
Old 2013-03-26, 20:51   Link #767
Kirarakim

Sorry for the double post but I guess I had no idea Shinsekai Yori was based on a real location in Japan

http://ozeanflug.tumblr.com/post/460...ore-because-of
Old 2013-03-27, 21:25   Link #768
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Sorry for the double post but I guess I had no idea Shinsekai Yori was based on a real location in Japan

http://ozeanflug.tumblr.com/post/460...ore-because-of
It's pretty common, writers often lift stuff from actual areas for their settings.

It doubly makes sense for SSY, since it actually does take place in a ruined future Japan. But it's very cool nonetheless. I'd love to just wander around the country, checking stuff out like this.
Old 2013-06-20, 13:35   Link #769
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Cancer immunity of strange underground rat revealed.

Yep, that is Heterocephalus glaber. The idea for Homocephalus may have been sparked by genome-mixing research from pre-cantus world, then aimed at curing cancer.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 14:59   Link #770
kuromitsu

They're such ugly little creatures... But that's pretty awesome. When the world is eventually destroyed, they will be the only survivors, along with the cockroaches. XD
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 14:42   Link #771
ArrowSmith

What an awesome show. You could feel the emotion throughout.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 04:09   Link #772
AdventSleeper

Just finished this. Probably ends up as being one of the best anime I've seen. Lots of philosophical and ethical food for thought given. Things are rarely ever black and white.

Also enjoyed how it left some things, like Maria's and Mamoru's death up to imagination. Do you imagine a gruesome, torturous death? Or was it something more like an accident?

Only thing I wish is that they handled the romance between Satoru and Saki better (understandably that wasn't the focus of the show)
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 19:01   Link #773
Moeterum

I hate what this show did to me.

Now I can't look at any other love story the same way ever again -_-
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 19:11   Link #774
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeterum View Post
I hate what this show did to me.

Now I can't look at any other love story the same way ever again -_-
This ain't romance in the first place so shipping was a failure here... I was disappointed myself.. the 6 months was a disaster....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 07:44   Link #775
Moeterum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
This ain't romance in the first place so shipping was a failure here... I was disappointed myself.. the 6 months was a disaster....
I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I'm talking about the painful, incredibly complex "romance" between Saki and Satoru...
Old 2014-04-14, 09:12   Link #776
Moeterum

English dub is out.

Which mean another chance/excuse to watch this show again!

And so far... It's actually a pretty decent dub work. Saki, Squealer and Shun's voice actors are by far the best in the cast. And the worst is Satoru's. MY GOD, they gave him the most annoying voice actor they could find, Greg Ayres . His squeaky voice just drives me crazy! And when he's trying to sound older and more mature it's even WORSE. Couldn't they find someone better? With a more manly voice? The irony is that I think Shun's voice actor would have been a great fit for Satoru. While Shun's voice was supposed to sound softer and a bit more feminine. So while Shun's voice actor is doing a good job his voice doesn't really fit the character...

So overall, the dubbed version isn't so bad. If someone wants to give the show another watch, you should definitely try it. Too bad Satoru's voice actor ruin every scene he's in though... :/
Old 2014-04-17, 14:05   Link #777
Legendzerox

So I just finished watching Shin Sekai Yori and can anyone clarify the ending for me? The part I am talking about is after Saki and Satoru were talking about the new world being a safe place for their child, then it pans out to a bunch of children. I have no idea what its implying.
Legendzerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 21:36   Link #778
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendzerox View Post
So I just finished watching Shin Sekai Yori and can anyone clarify the ending for me? The part I am talking about is after Saki and Satoru were talking about the new world being a safe place for their child, then it pans out to a bunch of children. I have no idea what its implying.
The people after the talk about their child are all from Saki's past. The first are her parents, the rest are her friends when they were children. The empty halls of the school echo with the laughter of children and then you see the quote on the wall.

It's a reminiscence of the innocence of the past, combined with the hopefulness of a better future even when so many awful things happen in life. It's not implying anything directly (Saki didn't die or anything), but it is intended to evoke feelings from the viewer when combined with the music score.
Old 2014-04-17, 23:28   Link #779
Legendzerox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The people after the talk about their child are all from Saki's past. The first are her parents, the rest are her friends when they were children. The empty halls of the school echo with the laughter of children and then you see the quote on the wall.

It's a reminiscence of the innocence of the past, combined with the hopefulness of a better future even when so many awful things happen in life. It's not implying anything directly (Saki didn't die or anything), but it is intended to evoke feelings from the viewer when combined with the music score.
Ah I see. Thanks for the help.
Legendzerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-18, 11:21   Link #780
Moeterum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendzerox View Post
Ah I see. Thanks for the help.
Also it meant to show all the people she lost and died during the series (expect from Satoru, which I'm still not sure why he was there...).

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural