AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-01-14, 01:11   Link #1
Gunblazer
A challenger appeared!

Advance Wars

Okay, i'm going out on a limb and asking if anyone has ever played Advance Wars before.
It's a fun Turn Based Strategy game in which you choose from a large stock of Commanding Officers each with various powers and command your own army of ground, sea, and air units.
It's very similar to Fire Emblem, ironically, because they are made by the same company.
If you're a fan, there are two ways to play online.
There's Advance Wars By Web, which is slow but effective.
Then there's Custom Wars, which is fast but requires a lot of downloads and isn't complete.
If you're looking for a good AW forum, there are quite a few.
List:
Advance Wars Net
Advance Wars Bunker
Advance Wars Revolution
Black Hole HQ
Custom Wars
If you want links, you can PM me.
Also if you need AW help, i'm a pretty reliable source.
Gunblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 16:15   Link #2
Lelouch
Phaeton

i have completed all 3
i'm missing 3 skills in AWS do i need to comp the hard campaign ?
Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 00:18   Link #3
Gunblazer
A challenger appeared!

Yes, to get full 300 you need to beat hard campaign.
Ask around on some of the forums I posted. There are guides on GFaqs if you look.
Gunblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 22:01   Link #4
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Thread Revival...

I really like this game. For better or for worse, some of the character designs change between 1, 2, and 3... I like Sonja's appearance before Dual Strike...

Favorite COs are:
Colin/Sasha
Hachi
Eagle/Sami
Rachel/Nell
Grit
Javier (and lots of towers)

And to point it out, a new Advance Wars game will come out next January:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

The only thing... It's been completely changed!
Completely new COs, new units, new focus, weaker CO powers...

*sniff*
I'll miss the old crew...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 06:47   Link #5
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

There are downsides to AW: DOR

- No more unit variety. You can't tell the difference between A,erica/Asia/Middle East/Europe etc.
- Dusters are incredibly useless. Anti-Tanks and Battleships are broken. Seaplanes are both useless AND broken (In other words, balanced, :lol.
- There are about 5 unique songs. It's good, but it's not as memorable as the old soundtrack.
- There are about 10 COs now. Caulder is a son of a bitch. Luckily, he is banned online. Unluckily, Action Replays work online.
- Skills are out. No more custom COs.
- Combat RTS removed.
- The biggest pain is THAT THERE ARE HARDLY ANY UNLOCKABLES. And I just can't stand that the game pretty much ends with the story, and how much people love to push this GRIMDARK crap about it. This isn't a mature story at all. Maybe it would be if I was still 12, but it's still about a kid who leads an army and a generic superscience badguy who acts like he's Wernher von Braun.

Last edited by Tripfag; 2008-01-28 at 07:12.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:53   Link #6
~ Lawliet ~

I have enjoyed very much this series.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 20:53   Link #7
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Well at least theres more unit balancing in terms of gameplay in AWoR
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 23:13   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I completed the first two. I haven't played teh third one yet, but i really like this series. It is thoroughly enjoyable to be able to completely crush your enemies, and know that you did it through smarts. Or superior numbers and firepower. Whatever works.
Old 2008-01-30, 19:34   Link #9
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

They kinda eliminated infantry spam by raising the costs of infantry by 500 and making them only good for capturing.

Their roles for mountain scouting is replaced by Flares and as cheap alternatives to anti-tank killing replaced by Anti-tanks (dur?) as they are indirect and direct fire units than can retaliate and don't have to worry about many weaknesses.
Old 2008-02-01, 21:27   Link #10
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

one of my fav gameboy/advance/DS games
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 23:58   Link #11
mokoi
nightmares of the mind

Played the series and love it...
mokoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 05:52   Link #12
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I'm currently playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and this is my first Advance Wars game.
I'm liking it so far, and the story has a dark tone to it...somewhat. Though in some parts of the main storyline, the AI gets really tough to beat and sometimes, it turns out to be a stalemate, where no team gets anywhere...I hate that.
I just recently finished chapter 10 and going on to chapter 11. The trail maps are hard...well to me they are hard...I don't know if it goes the same for veteran Advance Wars players.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 17:21   Link #13
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
I'm currently playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and this is my first Advance Wars game.
I'm liking it so far, and the story has a dark tone to it...somewhat. Though in some parts of the main storyline, the AI gets really tough to beat and sometimes, it turns out to be a stalemate, where no team gets anywhere...I hate that.
I just recently finished chapter 10 and going on to chapter 11. The trail maps are hard...well to me they are hard...I don't know if it goes the same for veteran Advance Wars players.
This game is easy compared to the old ones.

Hell, ask anyone who played the satellite mission in hard mode from AW: DS. I still shit bricks over it.

Last edited by Tripfag; 2008-02-04 at 18:05.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 17:57   Link #14
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
I suggest you also get Dual Strike.
I don't have Days of Ruin but have read about what it has, and it is way different from the previous Advance Wars game.
Sure it is more balanced, but the first three had a more colorful cast and the CO/SCO/Tag powers were fun to use.
What's more, Days of Ruin does not have War Room!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag View Post
Hell, ask anyone who played the satellite mission in hard mode from AWS. I still shit bricks over it.
Black Hole always had the most unfair buildings... From the auto-build factories to the Ooziums and the Neotanks (originally built by Black Hole) and the superweapons...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 06:53   Link #15
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I suggest you also get Dual Strike.
I don't have Days of Ruin but have read about what it has, and it is way different from the previous Advance Wars game.
Sure it is more balanced, but the first three had a more colorful cast and the CO/SCO/Tag powers were fun to use.
What's more, Days of Ruin does not have War Room!!
Yeah, I was trying to find Advance Wars: Dual Strike and found it at my local gamestop store...used for $30 though...a bit pricey for a game that came out quite a long time ago.
But I'll definitely get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag View Post
This game is easy compared to the old ones.

Hell, ask anyone who played the satellite mission in hard mode from AW: DS. I still shit bricks over it.
Yeah I'll try to get Dual Strike as soon as I finish up Days of Ruin...since this is my first Advance Wars game, I find Days of Ruin to be hard for me.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 11:30   Link #16
Tabris

Tripfag, you should replace is superior with is love.

I always thought the first AW was the hardest. But that's probably because it was [obviously] my first outing with the series. DoR was pretty easy though, and about the last mission

Spoiler:
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 21:41   Link #17
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Well, the storyline for DoR was easy. Much easier than that of AW: DS.

I just really like the balance though, even though there is no compensation for the lack of CO and CO Powers
Old 2008-02-12, 02:22   Link #18
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

I loved the first one, and I didn't even know they were releasing one for the DS until I saw a commercial for it a couple of days ago (I fan-girl screamed, and my parents looked at me like I was an idiot). It doesn't sound like many people here are enjoying it though, which makes me sad. I guess I'll have to find a place to rent it before I go out and start spending money. Plus, Dragon Quest: Swords, and SSB Brawl are coming out soon. There's too many games to buy lately