AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-05-30, 19:19   Link #1
kool_dudy

Most depressing anime

I just finished watching Full Moon wo Sagashite. It was a good series overall but it was way too sad....I found it quite depressing.

In your opinion, what series made you depressed or maybe better phrased, which series did you find depressing?
kool_dudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 19:23   Link #2
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i swear this topic has been addressed many times before...
oh well
for me the most depressing was Saikano...my GOD
Spoiler:

people will also bring up:
1) Now and then, here and there
2) Grave of the Fireflies
3) Rurouni Kenshin Seisouhen

...or this thread'll be locked, whichever comes first
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 20:14   Link #3
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Victory gundam, I said it once (or a dozen times who knows) and will say it again, most depressing series one could watch. and I don't become easily depressed watching anime, confused yes, but not depressed so this says alot for this gundam. prepare for death upon death...upon death...oh and a guillotine...yep thats sick enough. But great story and epic battles make this a definite watch.
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 20:22   Link #4
xu_henry_ca
Davidsbündler

Send a message via MSN to xu_henry_ca
Yes, Saikano is a beautiful story and, very sad. And there's Rurouni Kenshin Seisouhen, it is a very sad ending for Kenshin and Kaoru. They didn't have to end the series this way. The ending of the original comic was much better.
Old 2004-05-30, 21:25   Link #5
bohemian
坂本真綾さん最高

Grave of the fireflies has to be the most depressing, I like this movie alot but I never want to watch it for a second time. It is so powerful because of its realistic depiction of the suffering of war, unlike some fantasy sci-fi story such as Saikano (which I love too) which is too far fetched from our everyday lives .

I usually avoid depressing/sad anime, but more often I encounter a few sad episodes among some other animes, such as in Fullmetal Alchemist when Nina and Hughes died, in Naruto when Haku died.

Perhaps the most depressing anime series I watch is Wolf's rain.

Spoiler:
bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 21:35   Link #6
InViTuSUnuM

Send a message via AIM to InViTuSUnuM Send a message via MSN to InViTuSUnuM
you know whats depressing???? kimi ga nozomu eien....its really depressing until up to the end....then it gets happy somehow....
InViTuSUnuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 22:28   Link #7
7thMethuselah

Nah, the most depressing anime ever is Saishuuheiki Kanojo (saikano): the story in it ends very bad for everyone. Not only does it end bad but often in the worst imagineable way as well, the entire series is filled with one painfull moment after another. Hell, the creators even put in a warning after episode 9 or 10 to warn you that it will only get worse after that (and up to that point you are allready down and depressed from all the stuff that happened so far).
Guess what, it gets worse after that.

the other series mentioned are depressing as well but saikano hardly has a moment of peace in it, they just keep throwing it at you.

SaiKano hands down most depressing stuff ever, you need days to recover after seeing it (and several boxes of tissues and anti-depressiva during it)
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 22:33   Link #8
nukunuku
cat+android=catgirl!

a depressing anime ive seen is serial experiments lain. its make you feel very lonely and depressed. the ending leaves you empty and confused. in the world of lain you feel alone and insignificant then it ends and your depressed. so i say lain is a depressing anime.
nukunuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 22:37   Link #9
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukunuku
a depressing anime ive seen is serial experiments lain. its make you feel very lonely and depressed. the ending leaves you empty and confused. in the world of lain you feel alone and insignificant then it ends and your depressed. so i say lain is a depressing anime.
lol, I found Lain more confusing than depressing since after seeing it once I hardly understood anything that happened What exactly did you find depressing about it (besides the part where her sister gets turned into a brainless plant by those hackers)?
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 22:41   Link #10
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
lol, I found Lain more confusing than depressing since after seeing it once I hardly understood anything that happened What exactly did you find depressing about it (besides the part where her sister gets turned into a brainless plant by those hackers)?
i agree, i was too busy going "WTF man?" to be depressed by Lain O_O
Old 2004-05-31, 00:42   Link #11
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Nah, the most depressing anime ever is Saishuuheiki Kanojo (saikano): the story in it ends very bad for everyone. Not only does it end bad but often in the worst imagineable way as well, the entire series is filled with one painfull moment after another. Hell, the creators even put in a warning after episode 9 or 10 to warn you that it will only get worse after that (and up to that point you are allready down and depressed from all the stuff that happened so far).
Guess what, it gets worse after that.

the other series mentioned are depressing as well but saikano hardly has a moment of peace in it, they just keep throwing it at you.

SaiKano hands down most depressing stuff ever, you need days to recover after seeing it (and several boxes of tissues and anti-depressiva during it)
Need to make a distinction. The fansubbers put that warning in there, NOT the creators.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 00:53   Link #12
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Need to make a distinction. The fansubbers put that warning in there, NOT the creators.
yes that's correct...no creator in their right mind would ask their audience to stop watching
Old 2004-05-31, 00:57   Link #13
MasterFuu

Grave of the Fireflies all the way!
Kenshin OVA ep 4.
Ninja Scroll Movie- Kegeiro's ....
Final moments in Gunnm- battle angel
Last episode of Video Girl Ai
MasterFuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 01:09   Link #14
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
Saikano, that show was like a constant "well, if that didn't make you sad, wait until you see this!" from the creators.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 01:17   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I tought Kiminozo was kinda depressing too. It's a good drama, but oh god watching the main character in sucha dilemma and being so undecisive about it for a long time. It makes me really really depressed watching him dragging his relationships.

Thank god is over. >_<
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 01:24   Link #16
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BME
Saikano, that show was like a constant "well, if that didn't make you sad, wait until you see this!" from the creators.
Yah my vote goes with Saikano too. As for Kiminozu, it was just really painful all around, lol.

Also Rahxephon had some pretty depressing moments as well, though it ends fairly well and I wouldn't call it overall depressing, there were times when it was just really really sad.
Spoiler:
Jenichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 01:29   Link #17
Yoda117
Galley Slave

Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
You have to toss in Gunslinger Girls somewhere on that list... it could have been worse, but still.
Yoda117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 01:37   Link #18
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I tought Kiminozo was kinda depressing too. It's a good drama, but oh god watching the main character in sucha dilemma and being so undecisive about it for a long time. It makes me really really depressed watching him dragging his relationships.

Thank god is over. >_<
i didn't have any sympathy for takayuki myself, he was a complete a-hole and EVERYTHING that happened was his fault
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-31, 01:56   Link #19
Longinus
光の練金術師

Add Ideon and Tekkaman blade to the list
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 02:32   Link #20
bohemian
坂本真綾さん最高

I wonder how many people have watched Gundam 0080: War in a pocket. This has to be one of the saddest anime. It makes all the numerous deaths in Gundam SEED look like nothing.

Spoiler:
bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote