AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 12 Rating
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect.... 44 29.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 31 21.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 29 19.73%
7 out of 10 : Good... 20 13.61%
6 out of 10 : Average... 12 8.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 3 2.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.04%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 2.04%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-22, 15:11   Link #21
Esebian

Nice episode like most times Well Yui is my most fav side character of SAO so I instantly liked the episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
There is, of course, another thing to take into account.

Just what sort of computer geek WAS Kirito before he got involved in VR gaming anyway? Was he a gaming geek or was he more interested in the nuts and bolts of things?
Well I won't spoil anything for you in here but I can say that he is interested in all kind of things that have to do with PC, from gaming to programming skills. That's something you can easily guess in the first episode, when you can see him reading that magazin with the article about Kayabe, there is a scene in which you can look at his bookshelf and if you look closer you can see that in there are only books about programming language, computors and other computer-based things with some of them written from Kayabe himself
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:14   Link #22
Kazu-kun

I wonder why an AI like YUI even needs a console. She should have a terminal built in.

Of course, Kirito needed the console to resolve the plot, but....
Old 2012-09-22, 15:18   Link #23
Awrya
U mad?

Sinker = Bright Noa? So Sunrise recycles characters that are over 30 years old?

That reaper was around Lv.90, one blocked hit and Asuna lost half her health while Kirito lost like 20%? The future looks bleak.

Kirito just happened to know perfectly how to transfer Yui to his NerveGear memory, no comment

Not great, but not bad either. The best part of this episode was [Yui's Heart] item, heart shaped, but the sides transparent leaving a tear shape.

Edit: Lol at poll, 2 each for 7/10, 8/10, 9/10 and 10/10
Old 2012-09-22, 15:20   Link #24
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

We just need more boss fights
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:22   Link #25
Esebian

@Kazu-kun The console wasn't for Yui It was for GMs to access the admin panel and the programming code of the game but as you can guess there are none in the game now apart from maybe Kayabe himself. For the console, you can see it like a repairing prog for your PC, it repaired Yui so that she could operate normal again, you know in the last ep if you paid attention Yui often spoke in broken sentences and with quite easy words, that was because she was broken
Old 2012-09-22, 15:23   Link #26
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
We just need more boss fights
Where would be two more )
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:24   Link #27
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
There is, of course, another thing to take into account.

Just what sort of computer geek WAS Kirito before he got involved in VR gaming anyway? Was he a gaming geek or was he more interested in the nuts and bolts of things?
During Kayaba's speech you can see Kirito's bookshelf, and it is filled with programming related books.
Old 2012-09-22, 15:24   Link #28
Deltaray

Kinda spot on "guardian" for the admin console tho, grim reaper.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:30   Link #29
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
@Kazu-kun The console wasn't for Yui It was for GMs to access the admin panel and the programming code of the game
That makes no sense either. Why would an admin need an external console? They should have the console built into their Nerve Gear, easily accessible from their menu to use whenever they need to.
Old 2012-09-22, 15:30   Link #30
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
During Kayaba's speech you can see Kirito's bookshelf, and it is filled with programming related books.
Also note that Kirito was a big Kayaba fanboy. He probably dreamed of becoming someone like him.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:32   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
For the console, you can see it like a repairing prog for your PC, it repaired Yui so that she could operate normal again, you know in the last ep if you paid attention Yui often spoke in broken sentences and with quite easy words, that was because she was broken
I think it's a bit of a stretch to come to that conclusion based on what was shown in the anime, though she did explain that her system had accumulated errors, and obviously that it was a GM portal.

I guess, if that's true, then:

1. Somehow entering that room (and the desperate situation) caused Yui to realize/remember that this was a GM portal.

2. She accessed the portal, repaired her own system, and gave herself the admin privileges to erase the "guardian" (as Deltaray aptly named it)

3. She realizes that her actions will not be forgiven by Cardinal, but still reveals the terminal to Kirito/Asuna to prove her claims.

4. It just so happens that Kirito has the skills needed to operate that terminal (and presumably to think that he'll be able to find some way to restore Yui's AI somehow if they get out).

So we can at least come to the conclusion that Kirito has some degree of skill in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That makes no sense either. Why would an admin need an external console? They should have the console built into their Nerve Gear, easily accessible from their menu to use whenever they need to.
Well, perhaps this gives them command-line access to the system, and for that you really want to use a real keyboard rather than an "on-screen" (in air) one? (I guess they could have just created a keyboard object... ) I guess another reason could be that it's some sort of backup in case things go wrong. Or perhaps it's just some sort of protocol for the AIs (since they don't have NerveGear) that they have to go to a physical game location to get Admin access (and can't use it elsewhere in the game)? Who knows...
Old 2012-09-22, 15:42   Link #32
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think it's a bit of a stretch to come to that conclusion based on what was shown in the anime, though she did explain that her system had accumulated errors, and obviously that it was a GM portal.

I guess, if that's true, then:

1. Somehow entering that room (and the desperate situation) caused Yui to realize/remember that this was a GM portal.

2. She accessed the portal, repaired her own system, and gave herself the admin privileges to erase the "guardian" (as Deltaray aptly named it)

3. She realizes that her actions will not be forgiven by Cardinal, but still reveals the terminal to Kirito/Asuna to prove her claims.

4. It just so happens that Kirito has the skills needed to operate that terminal (and presumably to think that he'll be able to find some way to restore Yui's AI somehow if they get out).

So we can at least come to the conclusion that Kirito has some degree of skill in this area.

Well, perhaps this gives them command-line access to the system, and for that you really want to use a real keyboard rather than an "on-screen" (in air) one? (I guess they could have just created a keyboard object... )
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Sry beforehand if that is too much of a spoiler

But I must say aswell that in this episode that was a bit, let's say, poorly done with her somehow going into the room, somehow recognizing the console, somehow letting her system be repaired and somehow knowing what to do....a bit too many somehows for me
Old 2012-09-22, 15:44   Link #33
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You've gotta be fucking kidding me! You couldn't let her be in the story just a little bit more?!?! That was way too fast!

Also, I accidentally voted 8 when I supposed to vote 5. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:45   Link #34
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I guess another reason could be that it's some sort of backup in case things go wrong. Or perhaps it's just some sort of protocol for the AIs (since they don't have NerveGear) that they have to go to a physical game location to get Admin access (and can't use it elsewhere in the game)?
An AI shouldn't need a console, specially not one like Yui. She should have an internal terminal. In fact, I'm surprised she even has a body, since as far as I can tell she wasn't designed to interact with players.

But then, this is SAO, so I probably should focus on Yui's super cute smile instead of trying to make sense of it.
Old 2012-09-22, 15:47   Link #35
Aurus

The point is that even the best programmer couldn't use the console of SAO..

Why? How should he know the commands? There is no graphical interface..
Aurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:53   Link #36
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurus View Post

I think we have to assume that, while he was typing, he was getting feedback through his own NerveGear system, since he also downloaded Yui's program into his own unit. We have seen before that, except on rare occasions, we don't usually see the same thing the players actually see (because when we do, it switches to that weird sort of FPS view with the indicators). Our third-person perspective "camera" could only see Kirito typing blindly into a keyboard. It may have helped for the anime to illustrate Kirito's perspective for a moment in this case so that we could see that he wasn't just typing blindly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
In fact, I'm surprised she even has a body, since as far as I can tell she wasn't designed to interact with players.
Actually, they did address that part. She was designed to interact with players, because she says that she would normally have gone to meet the players in distress. (This is why she was given human qualities, and programmed with "emotions" like empathy.) She was just forbidden to do so by Cardinal, based on Kabaya's decision.
Old 2012-09-22, 15:53   Link #37
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

So basically Kirito went
Spoiler:
on the system's ass?
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:55   Link #38
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurus View Post

Even without a graphical interface you can control a console.
Many commands for command based programs are the same.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:58   Link #39
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You've gotta be fucking kidding me! You couldn't let her be in the story just a little bit more?!?! That was way too fast!

Also, I accidentally voted 8 when I supposed to vote 5. XP
In SAO if:

1) You're a girl

2) you name is not Asuna

you probably wont have +30 minute of screen time

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 15:59   Link #40
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Darn almost cried over this episode. But sadly 20 minutes seems so short.

Alas one must endure such time constraints considering the funding environment in the industry.

As for that console thing, yeah Kirito is a crazed programmer as one could imply from that scene in the first episode. I find it funny how the anime employs Chekov's Guns.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote