AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-17, 22:33   Link #221
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Ryoko really has no shame, has she? Standing there completely naked in front of poor Izumida-kun. At least her cards are on the table with the cookbook and champagne. I'm glad to see he's holding his own, though.
Kujoe mentionned it but I'll second what he said, I suspect it's mostly an aspect of her relationship with Izumida. She simply trusts him more than anyone else on the planet. Now having said that I'm quite certain Ryoko wouldn't mind Izumida stealing a glance, at all.

It was funny to see Ryoko freak out about that cookbook. "But why would they have a book in japaneese?" "DON'T SWEAT THE DETAILS!"

Quote:
I'll just point out for the sake of grammatical correctness that "mon ami" is the masculine version of "my friend;" it should have been "ma amie" but that doesn't sound so Japanese does it?
In fact it's "mon amie". You can't put "Ma" in front of a word beginning with a vowel. It's still an impressive catch though.

I must take a moment to comment the written french in this show. It's actually excellent, not engrish-y at all! I wonder if the novel's original author studied the language.

The SPOKEN french is mostly pure pain though.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 07:08   Link #222
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
In fact it's "mon amie". You can't put "Ma" in front of a word beginning with a vowel. It's still an impressive catch though.
I knew it looked and sounded wrong; of course you're right. It's been about forty years since I last took French. It was enough to negotiate my way around France some years ago. I could even carry on some extended conversations, but the process was mentally exhausting. It gave me a deeper appreciation for non-native English speakers in my country.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 14:01   Link #223
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

To me, it looks like Ryoko is one of those A type people who has to control everything to stave off the inevitable nervous breakdown
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 22:59   Link #224
benevida

Darn it. Another good show has jumped the shark. Just when I think I found an interesting show that uses both wit and sex appeal, it starts stepping all over itself.

- JACES is a huge multinational - yet when it's heir apparent is under fire in the media, they do nothing to fight back. Not to mention providing no security (what they do) for Ryoko's building while she's under attack (from the media and others) yet when the paparazzi were shooting her with Izumida they had a helicopter there within 5 minutes).

- Ryoko is the focus of a national media frenzy, yet there are no real reporters staking out her apartment. Even worse, the focus of intense scrutiny, she personally chases after when Monami runs away.

- Izumida is an Assistant Inspector, yet when faced with imminent danger or surprise, he usually reacts like a deer in headlights. Worse, though his job is to deal with hardened criminals, his demeaner, when dealing with anyone, is submission. That's not being dense (as he ostensibly is) that's just weak, and goes against his character.

- When they find Monami, she is lying in a recreated bedroom set. Ridiculous! If you need a bedroom, use a bedroom. Decorate a small room accordingly, or use a house.

While the only series to actually portray powerful figures with believability was Seirei no Morobito, there is no need to screw up your characterization to this extent. I'm disappointed.

; (
benevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 01:39   Link #225
Ninjacat

The show has been pretty weak since the first episode, so it's hardly jumped the shark.

Although I disagree with you and think a lot of what you're complaining about makes some sort of sense.

-JACES might really well be fighting the media frenzy in the background, or they were expecting it to die down after a while. Eighter way they seem to believe it's not a big deal. For both sides it was little more than an opening move, it never really slowed down Ryoko until the elite mercenaries showed up. It's probably the same reason why they don't really harass Ryoko's household. Standing in front of a corporate building is one thing, stalking Ryoko is giving JACES an excuse to very efficiently kick your ass.

-Ryoko chasing Monami herself isn't surprising, she's one of the rare people who even know she exists. She was also backed by her most competent and trusted personnel. Note that the opposition is also using a small number of elite operatives. No more than half a dozen men and one security 'bot. Secrecy is the name of the game for BOTH sides at this point.

-Izumida is taking a lot of flak from his inaction when facing that centipede things, and I agree he did little but stand around and look useless. But there's honestly nothing he could do at that point, he was dealing with an armored machine with superhuman reaction speed. While at best being equipped with a pistol. Monami didn't move more than a few feet before being tazered. Ceckmate.

-The recreated set makes a lot of sense once you realise it's not Monami's room. It was all setup for Ryoko's benefit. Why I don't know. Yet.

I loved that episode, partly because we see Izumida is indeed a good cop. He has intuition, has a great memory and rarely lets a detail slip. He's just as smart as Ryoko and has better intuition, but he lacks her sources of information.
Old 2008-09-19, 02:26   Link #226
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I did love the pose of the JPP operators in heavy body armor and ballistic helmets with faceplates, having the batons drawn out and extended while being in a fighting stance. Nearly yelled "Street Fighter!" XP

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 02:47   Link #227
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
so who exactly is that mini-Ryoko ? her sister or her clone ?
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 03:40   Link #228
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Most likely a clone.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2008-09-20, 11:08   Link #229
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
As for that giant frog, I think we can chalk it up to the usual WTF moments of this show. I mean seriously... Giant frog vs. robotic centipede?
Umm, I'll quote Ryoko: "Stop worrying about the details!"

Quote:
Tears from our ice queen this time though. Maybe she's human after all?
I'd thought it was pretty obvious why she cried at that moment. Our ice queen doesn't have any weakness, except Izumida.

Finally caught up to Ep10. Not that I've missed much, heh. Interesting to see some pieces of a larger conspiracy come together. As others have guessed, chibi-Ryoko is most probably a clone, which Ruriko intends to cultivate into an adult, using the technology developed by the scientist who died in Ep2. As for Ruriko's intentions, Monami is probably meant to be her compliant puppet in JACES, once she's got rid of Ryoko.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 00:39   Link #230
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Some spooky revelations now.

Spoiler for Future episodes:

Old 2008-09-23, 02:57   Link #231
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
. As for Ruriko's intentions, Monami is probably meant to be her compliant puppet in JACES, once she's got rid of Ryoko.
Ryouko probably has already taken this into account and has some kind of countermeasure. I think what she did in the latest episode was a bait for Ruriko to go ahead with her plans. I don't think Ryouko will go as far as actually trying to actually do what she did without knowing that there was some kind of defense.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 04:17   Link #232
kujoe
from head to heel

Episode 12 kicks the story up a notch.

Spoiler for Izumida's dream, and episode 12:
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 05:54   Link #233
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
Quote:
The SPOKEN french is mostly pure pain though.
Aha yeah, even knowing what they're supposed to say by translating the sub into French, I have a hard time understanding the audio French.
Not that I'd do better speaking Japanese...
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 06:54   Link #234
.Mero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Episode 12 kicks the story up a notch.

Spoiler for Izumida's dream, and episode 12:
I really think it's a shame it's only so few episodes.
Mon Ami is funny, loved the scene in 11 where Ryoko kicks in Izumida's door ^^
.Mero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-25, 16:53   Link #235
Ninjacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Ryouko probably has already taken this into account and has some kind of countermeasure. I think what she did in the latest episode was a bait for Ruriko to go ahead with her plans. I don't think Ryouko will go as far as actually trying to actually do what she did without knowing that there was some kind of defense.
Yeah, she seems way too comfortable for someone who's gonna get killed.

Finally saw episode 11, very nice, good pacing, funny situations, good plot. Izumida's facepalm when Monami opens the closet was the high point for me. poor guy...

I suspect Ruriko is lying through her teeth in order to manipulate Monami. First because Monami is really a ten year old in a twenty year old body, she's not gonna be able to run JACES even if she wanted to, second because Izumida is obviously not going to suddenly fall for Monami after she replaces Ryoko.

I believe Monami's job is in fact MUCH simpler: she's there to lure Izumida away from Ryoko. She's exactly like Ryoko, except she's nicer and she can cook!

They know Ryoko well enough to be aware of the Izumida-shaped hole in her armor.
Old 2008-09-26, 17:00   Link #236
Vashar

Quote:
They know Ryoko well enough to be aware of the Izumida-shaped hole in her armor.
Haha. That made me laugh.

I have nothing to argue with the points said here, except maybe people's impression of Izumida's abilities. Deer in head lights is harsh... that might be the case compared to Ryoko who is extremely awesome, but he seems to be better than any other detective. I'd compare him to the chief in Death Note where L is Ryoko and the rest of the police is the rest of the police in terms of relative ability level.

It's an interesting twist that some members of JACES that are close to Ryoko have been converted to work against her. It makes me wonder how deep that conversion goes.

This business dealing with the supernatural is right in Ryoko's ballpark. She's a genius and extremely able in an athletic sense... it'll be interested to see what she has planned in the next ep. She's definitely not going down easy, I know for sure.
Vashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 05:29   Link #237
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 11

There were a few things that challenge suspension of disbelief, but for the most part, this ep was tightly written and thoroughly enjoyable. The interplay between Izumida and Ryoko has always been the highlight of this show, and it was a highlight again in this episode. And I really liked that insight we got into their relationship from Nonagase, that their detective work is like an ongoing love game. They share such an interesting dynamic, these two, and they're such fun characters, and also interesting as well, in part because the societal archetypes they reflect, but mostly because of the amusingly awkward way they interact.

The idea that modern cloning techniques can be combined with ancient human reviving arts is a tough pill to swallow, but it's about as tough as accepting that suicide crickets vibrate at mobile phone frequencies.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 15:16   Link #238
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Regarding Ep11, I like the direction the show is going. Sure, the plot devices are total nonsense, but they make addictive pulp fiction. Monami adds an interesting dimension to Ryoko and Izumida's relationship, since she's a gentler, kinder and younger ("you don't have to state the obvious") version of Ōryo. It's so much more fun to see Izumida squirm under Monami's advances — it's now harder for him to deny that he's attracted to his boss.

I googled the name "Saigyō Hōshi", but all I find are some obscure references to a Heian-era poet. Either there are some historical references I'm missing here, or the author took a heavy dose of artistic licence and connected the poet with the occult. Anyone care to comment?

By the way, I belatedly realised that the ED is slightly different for each episode. I shouldn't have skipped them as often as I do.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 18:52   Link #239
Dakkar
N/A

Well, in episode 12 they give rather clear hint on the reason why the mystical stuff like that toad tends to pop-up from time to time. Looks like it's not just Ryoko/Monami who attracts it, but Ryoko accompanied by Izumida. Hard to tell if it's his own special ability or just the fact she's interested in him which triggers the events, but I bet that's the explanation Monami was about to give when they cut it off in the end Anyway, it should be linked to the strange dreams of his, which turn out to be more like premonitions as we can see now...
Dakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 20:26   Link #240
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Looks like the JPP and a faction of the JGSDF is bent hell to make mincemeat out of Ryoko, Muromoachi and their subordinates and to take over any JACES facilities under the cover of anti-terrorist training.

Quite original since I haven't heard of any security company being on par with the JGSDF in anti-terrorist training in Japan unless they're there for rear support (e.g. help civilians evacuate from cities, etc.)

Tags
supernatural