AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-05, 13:50   Link #4781
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Most of my favorite songs fit Harima pretty well, since he and I have had a similar life... for the past 9 years.... xD

Scorpions - Still Loving You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUMcA--ejOc

XYZ - Just a Friend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_53uT4-IZE

Giant - I'll See You In My Dreams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iug0X6cJDDM

Alias - One More Chance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYKov0Uhx8

If anybody likes those, I'd be happy to write you up a good list of more...

It shall be known as the Harima Playlist.
Kondrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 06:14   Link #4782
euromellows

I've been reading the SR manga the past week - where the anime left off. Damn it is awesome!

There's some really good flag faction moments which is really cool. I couldn't stop laughing at the scene where Harima hallucinates the giant shrimp that tries to seduce him to eat seafood. Absolutely hilarious!

I'm up to Volume 18 and still going strong. I remember what others have said and to only read up to the second last chapter. Although I'm tempted to do that because I know the ending is bs., my curiousity will get in the way and I will succumb to reading both the last chapter and SRZ. Sorry guys but I have to peek .

School Rumble forever! (even if its only fan fiction)
euromellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 08:30   Link #4783
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
haha have fun reading!
Once you're done you can bitch about the end here like everyone of us did XD
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 14:02   Link #4784
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
haha have fun reading!
Once you're done you can bitch about the end here like everyone of us did XD
haha so true!!

still....

im still hoping for a new SR ending....
Old 2010-04-14, 06:18   Link #4785
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melee428 View Post
Most of my favorite songs fit Harima pretty well, since he and I have had a similar life... for the past 9 years.... xD

Scorpions - Still Loving You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUMcA--ejOc

XYZ - Just a Friend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_53uT4-IZE

Giant - I'll See You In My Dreams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iug0X6cJDDM

Alias - One More Chance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQYKov0Uhx8

If anybody likes those, I'd be happy to write you up a good list of more...

It shall be known as the Harima Playlist.
Excellent songs my friend!

Hope that Harima's feelings for Eri and Yakumo are not Just a Friends while he still thinks I'll See You In My Dreams Tenma-chan an d he's still saying that Still Loving You Tenma-chan,

While KJ pleads with the fans that to give him One More Chance

LOL!!!!
Old 2010-04-21, 06:07   Link #4786
euromellows

Damnit! Just finished reading all of School Rumble manga (not SRZ yet). God damnit the ending totally sucks! Especially with all the tension being raised between Eri and Yakumo (fiance and housemates). I cannot believe any thinking person would write an ending like that!?!?!

But then of course my wet dream is that the studio completes Season3 and ends it properly in the anime (flag faction of course). The anime ending becomes canon and the original School Rumble ending evolves into the equivalent of the Peter Cushing Doctor Who - totally ignored by fans as ever having existed.

I will shortly move on to SRZ which I'm told is only marginally less worse with its ending.

P.S. Zebra your prediction was correct. I'm indeed honoured to join the ranks of SR fans bitching about the ending lol.
Old 2010-04-21, 09:46   Link #4787
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromellows View Post
P.S. Zebra your prediction was correct. I'm indeed honoured to join the ranks of SR fans bitching about the ending lol.
well yeah, that's what everyone will do if he finished SR hahaha xD

and yep, there was quite a tension, but it was just dropped like it was hot
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 10:26   Link #4788
yakumo-chan

Quote:

expect the unexpected...
Old 2010-04-21, 10:48   Link #4789
Sphire

Aw, too bad almost everyone hates the ending. I was still kinda ok with it. The 'future' part was the only bad spot for me. But even then no one says how far into the future it is, so I always figured that was open to interpretation. The fact that Harima doesn't go with anyone actually pleased me. After his speech to Tenma at the airport, I felt it hugely appropriate that he didn't suddenly just pair off with someone.

Which is why I don't like the SRZ ending much. But at least again there is huge room for interpretation, so I don't mind all that much. Plus it looks somewhat a few years down the road.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I read/watched the ending. So it might be forgotten anguish, but I don't wholly think so. Granted I didn't like the walking festival arc (felt things were being rushed for an ending), nor a few things here or there. But after Tenma flies, things after that I don't particularly mind.
Old 2010-04-21, 12:38   Link #4790
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
Admittedly, it's been a while since I read/watched the ending. So it might be forgotten anguish, but I don't wholly think so. Granted I didn't like the walking festival arc (felt things were being rushed for an ending), nor a few things here or there. But after Tenma flies, things after that I don't particularly mind.
yep that's a point but I really liked the mood in the walking festival
especially the "kiss" and harima going crazy xD
Old 2010-04-21, 16:52   Link #4791
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Quote:
Welcome buddy!

Quote:
Aw, too bad almost everyone hates the ending. I was still kinda ok with it. The 'future' part was the only bad spot for me. But even then no one says how far into the future it is, so I always figured that was open to interpretation. The fact that Harima doesn't go with anyone actually pleased me. After his speech to Tenma at the airport, I felt it hugely appropriate that he didn't suddenly just pair off with someone.
It's not the fact that he didn't hit it off with someone in the end that upset me - it's that future part exactly. It's Harima himself; in all his over-bearded glory. And the airport chapter was a big part of it. He threw his glasses away, only to put them back on.

He's exactly the same as in chapter 1 of the manga. And that's what I hate. It would have been different if SR would have been about comedy only, but with all the drama and focus on the characters along the way I naturally expected more than a haha-we're-still-the-same pie fight at the end.

The end was badly written. Specially with all the built up before it.

chap. 10 of SRZ was another slap in the face imo XD I didn't see him hooking up with someone else either, so the implications in SRZ were bull in my eyes. Because it's hard to comprehend with the material we're given and it goes against the end of the main series. The end KJ himself gave us.

I don't really want to repeat myself all over again, so I kept it short
Old 2010-04-21, 19:27   Link #4792
Sphire

Well about the Harima glasses part, if I remember correctly, he does sorta revert back to his pre-Tenma love days, fighting and whatnot, while not wearing the glasses. He thinks he's failed and should go back the way he was. Then Eri comes and sorts him out. Shows him that the him of 'now' is actually good. So that was sweet. And is one of the reasons I don't mind the SRZ ending. And is also one of the reasons why I don't mind Harima staying the same.

I will admit though that I get that 'we're still the same' vibe from the pie fight. Mostly from the rest of 2-c though. And it would have been nice if things weren't so 'finite', with regards to everyone and their future.

The thing I don't like most about the SRZ ending was that I was hoping there would be a continuation to SR someday. That would entail perhaps Harima realising Tenma is out of the picture. Or at least doing what he said he would do when talking to Tenma at the airport. But now we know definitely. Which rules out any surprise factor. But more closely, likely rules out a continuation to SR. Which is too sad.
Old 2010-04-22, 04:59   Link #4793
euromellows

I guess on reflection my bone of contention is not so much that Harima didn't end up with someone. It would kinda demonstrate his devotion to Tenma wasn't so great if he ended up with Eri or Yakumo straight after. But what would have been good to see was a bit of an acknowledgment from Harima that he has to move on, and perhaps comes to acknowledge Eri and Yakumos feelings too. Even better would be for him (or them) to come to the conclusion that the time is not right just yet, but there is hope in the future. Kind of like when he and tenma were on the train to the stars. Harima rejoins the fishing ship, looking over the horizon as he departs Japan and promises to come back and sort it all out then.

Or... perhaps JK wanted to put it into perspective that they're still at school and as we all know, school relationships generally don't last.
Old 2010-04-22, 09:16   Link #4794
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Quote:
Well about the Harima glasses part, if I remember correctly, he does sorta revert back to his pre-Tenma love days, fighting and whatnot, while not wearing the glasses. He thinks he's failed and should go back the way he was. Then Eri comes and sorts him out. Shows him that the him of 'now' is actually good.
The reason I didn't like it was because I saw the sunglasses as a symbol, not just as a statement he is the way he is. He still has the beard after all.

In my interpretation the glasses had two purposes:

1.) The sunglasses were a mask; to hide and protect himself. He never really got around to confessing. He didn't have the guts for it and didn't want to get hurt and didn't let Tenma see him the way it is.
This impression was reinfored when he gave Tenma a glimpse of his real feelings at the airport and took his glasses off before.

2.) The sunglasses kept him from truly seeing others and made sure his Tenma-vision stayed intact. That's why it was so hard for him to see Eri for who she is. But she slapped his eyes open
From early on he knows that Tenma doesn't like him back (even so he fools himself about it over and over again), but refuses to even think about looking at someone else.

Since I interpreted so much into it the airport scene had a different meaning for me (specially together with the chapter when Eri slaps sense into him -"You've opened my eyes"; with eyes closed).
So seeing him being the same about everything was a big downer for me ^^ Reset all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromellows
I guess on reflection my bone of contention is not so much that Harima didn't end up with someone. It would kinda demonstrate his devotion to Tenma wasn't so great if he ended up with Eri or Yakumo straight after. But what would have been good to see was a bit of an acknowledgment from Harima that he has to move on, and perhaps comes to acknowledge Eri and Yakumos feelings too. Even better would be for him (or them) to come to the conclusion that the time is not right just yet, but there is hope in the future. Kind of like when he and tenma were on the train to the stars. Harima rejoins the fishing ship, looking over the horizon as he departs Japan and promises to come back and sort it all out then.
My feelings exactly
Old 2010-04-22, 10:36   Link #4795
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
1.) The sunglasses were a mask; to hide and protect himself.
yep, I agree to you

I dunno, but I kinda remember a scene in SR where Harima said why he's wearing that sunglass and why he's growing a beard

if I remember correctly it was because he didn't wanted Tenma to see and remember his face, because if she knew that Harima's the guy who wanted to "rape" (xD) her, she wouldn't talk to Harima (Harima's vision of the things)

so he's wearing the sunglass to hide himself, giving him a chance to approach Tenma

well, it might be, that we talked about that here, too, I don't remember correctly ... guess I have to reread SR ^^
Old 2010-04-22, 10:56   Link #4796
Solafighter
Hige

You were right there, Sephiroth.

But dont forget the hair styling gel and the barrette. He also wears that to hide himself from Tenma.

If you havent read SR in the last 6 month, its time again to do so, now.
Old 2010-04-22, 15:24   Link #4797
Sphire

Quote:
The reason I didn't like it was because I saw the sunglasses as a symbol, not just as a statement he is the way he is. He still has the beard after all.

Since I interpreted so much into it the airport scene had a different meaning for me (specially together with the chapter when Eri slaps sense into him -"You've opened my eyes"; with eyes closed).
So seeing him being the same about everything was a big downer for me ^^ Reset all over again.
Nah, that's sound quite good. Love the symbolism there. I'll admit I never got that deep into it. It would have been nice if things played out better, but it seemed rushed even since the walking festival. Heck I myself disliked how Tenma 'suddenly' acknowledges Harima has feeling for her. The story was begging for a better drawn out conclusion rather than a quick one. That's probably my biggest grief with it. But I know it could have been done way, way worse, so I'm thankful for that at least.

Damn, all this talk of the show makes me miss the characters again...
Old 2010-04-23, 06:50   Link #4798
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
You were right there, Sephiroth.

But dont forget the hair styling gel and the barrette. He also wears that to hide himself from Tenma.

If you havent read SR in the last 6 month, its time again to do so, now.
yep xD
I guess I really have to do so xDD
Old 2010-04-23, 17:55   Link #4799
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Excellent songs my friend!

Hope that Harima's feelings for Eri and Yakumo are not Just a Friends while he still thinks I'll See You In My Dreams Tenma-chan an d he's still saying that Still Loving You Tenma-chan,

While KJ pleads with the fans that to give him One More Chance

LOL!!!!
LOLOL. I'm just now seeing this reply to my post like a week later.
Kondrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 18:04   Link #4800
Gambino009
Phantom

We're slow fans... but we're still here.

I've come to acknowledge a few others here who are true fans as well.. and part of this series spark of life.
Gambino009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hige, ojou, school