AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-01-11, 06:19   Link #1
Blueberri
♫♪►♂♥♀◄

What makes a good anime

I came up with this idea now and decided to throw it out there. What do YOU think makes anime good or popular? Is it the action, the story development, or character interaction? Obviously, it's all three, but I don't want to be one sided. So I decided to find out what you guys think about quality anime.
Blueberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 06:58   Link #2
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

IMO, it's pretty much the same as what makes a good film or movie, except that this is animation, so the visual style and voice-acting needs to be taken into account too. Good character development, decent plot, good voice-acting, and good animation.

Hmm, I think I've seen an opinion somewhere that anime-watchers tend to be divided into 2 types:he ones who focus on the flow of the story, and the ones who focus on characters. and of course there are people who focuses on both.

^ I think that assumption is made based on a common problem with an anime consisting of 2 seasons, where the 1st season has more story, and the 2nd one has more drama and characterization. (ex: Code Geass, Gundam 00, K-ON!)
Old 2011-01-11, 08:20   Link #3
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Popular: sell-able premise, half-decent marketing, and somewhat decent direction.

Good: Consistence and excellent direction probably will produce good animation, respect to character and setting, good plot flow, and so on.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 12:22   Link #4
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

I would say:

-Know how to make "topic"
-Keep people intrigued
-Good scripts
-Have a direction from beginning and maintain it
-If you're not going to be serious, DON'T EVER TRY TO BE SERIOUS
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 13:06   Link #5
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
We have similar topics about this here
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ght=what+makes
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ght=what+makes
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 13:36   Link #6
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

How to Create an Anime Tsuyukusa will Love

Avoid pointless fanservice: Fanservice is fine, I understand many people love it. However, a character should contribute more than a pair of massive breasts.

Don't allow your characters to become stagnant: I guess this one speaks for itself. Characters should grow through out the series. It becomes very boring watching a character lame everything up over and over again.

Pay attention to the scenery and character design: I suppose this one isn't as important as the plot or character development, but it's a big one for me. Brilliant artwork can really draw me in. Some anime look so crisp you can almost feel the sunlight on your shoulders. It isn't necessary, but I appreciate it all the same.

Don't depend on cliches to be humorous: If I see one more "BOOBINTHEFACE OMFG!!!" scene I'm going to beat myself in the face with a hammer.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 14:15   Link #7
Blueberri
♫♪►♂♥♀◄

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
In the forums I've been in, posting in old threads is a taboo. And I believe there should be a balanced amount of everything in a anime. From romance to action to serious matters. Too much just might kill it for most viewers.
Blueberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 14:29   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Necromancy is a-ok here if it keeps the information/discussion in one place.

After noting I've never found 'good' and 'popular' to overlap 100%, Tsuyukusa's guide lines are an excellent start.
Old 2011-01-11, 14:30   Link #9
NhocCuteGirl
Banned

IMO, it's pretty much the same as what makes a good film or movie, except that this is animation, so the visual style and voice-acting needs to be taken into account too. Good character development, decent plot, good voice-acting, and good animation.

Hmm, I think I've seen an opinion somewhere that anime-watchers tend to be divided into 2 types:he ones who focus on the flow of the story, and the ones who focus on characters. and of course there are people who focuses on both.

^ I think that assumption is made based on a common problem with an anime consisting of 2 seasons, where the 1st season has more story, and the 2nd one has more drama and characterization. (ex: Code Geass, Gundam 00, K-ON!)

Old 2011-01-11, 15:30   Link #10
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
You are mostly wrong as sequels are mostly cashcows with far less context and far more fanservice. All three shows you mention have that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
Popular: sell-able premise, half-decent marketing, and somewhat decent direction.
My version is Popular = easily digested, full of fluff and extremely simplistic and polarized characters doing the most obvious and expected thing in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
Good: Consistence and excellent direction probably will produce good animation, respect to character and setting, good plot flow, and so on.
Don't forget the plot holes and the absense of obvious pretense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
-Know how to make "topic"
???
Quote:
-Keep people intrigued
A good looking trailer is enough for that.
Quote:
-Good scripts
Quite minor detail (see Twilight, Avatar)
Quote:
-Have a direction from beginning and maintain it
That is important for sequels.
Quote:
-If you're not going to be serious, DON'T EVER TRY TO BE SERIOUS
Not too obvious pretense I presume?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyukusa View Post
Avoid pointless fanservice: Fanservice is fine, I understand many people love it. However, a character should contribute more than a pair of massive breasts.
Correct if fan service contributes and doesn't overlap everything else. Total absense is a minus as well.
Quote:
Don't allow your characters to become stagnant: I guess this one speaks for itself. Characters should grow through out the series. It becomes very boring watching a character lame everything up over and over again.
True but most shounen fans (Gintama, Reborn) don't mind (I agree shonens are very average to the most part).
Quote:
Pay attention to the scenery and character design: I suppose this one isn't as important as the plot or character development, but it's a big one for me. Brilliant artwork can really draw me in. Some anime look so crisp you can almost feel the sunlight on your shoulders. It isn't necessary, but I appreciate it all the same.
Same as fan service above.
Quote:
Don't depend on cliches to be humorous: If I see one more "BOOBINTHEFACE OMFG!!!" scene I'm going to beat myself in the face with a hammer.
Not quite wrong but parodies are fine as long as we don't have too many, too close to one another (currently we do and it is annoying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberri View Post
And I believe there should be a balanced amount of everything in a anime. From romance to action to serious matters. Too much just might kill it for most viewers.
I disagree. A show can be good without being 10% comedy, 10% drama, ect 8 more categories of just 10% each.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2011-01-11 at 15:49.
Old 2011-01-11, 17:04   Link #11
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Good plot
Not to many fillers
Character development
No gag that gets old easily
Not relying on too much fanservice
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 17:16   Link #12
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You are mostly wrong as sequels are mostly cashcows with far less context and far more fanservice. All three shows you mention have that.
I'm only stating my view, bro coz that's what I see in many forums with fans arguing about those two aspects.
Old 2011-01-11, 17:23   Link #13
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Two words:
Quality and
Opinon
Old 2011-01-11, 17:24   Link #14
Zotis
Rank #35

Content and polish usually have more sway in making something popular. But for something to be good it needs realism, attention to detail, and passion.
Old 2011-01-11, 17:38   Link #15
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Remember, realism isn't always in the visual aspect though. Lucky*Star and claanad werent perfectly drawn (especially L*S), but the realism comes from the characters and situations.
Old 2011-01-11, 17:44   Link #16
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Like any good story it should have a bit of originality, consistency, and good dialogue. Start from there and you really can't go wrong unless you try to.
Old 2011-01-11, 17:49   Link #17
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
And just how does K-On's second season have more fanservice than the first?

What fanservice season one had came largely from the girls playing to particular moe archetypes, season two significantly reduces this kind of service in favour of developing the girls into more rounded characters. It's the most noticeable change between the seasons aside from the impact the girl's impending graduation has on the show's mood, and one of the reasons season two is easily the better of the two seasons.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 21:40   Link #18
Zotis
Rank #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
Remember, realism isn't always in the visual aspect though. Lucky*Star and claanad werent perfectly drawn (especially L*S), but the realism comes from the characters and situations.
Exactly, it's ridiculous when the dialog in an anime is nothing like any two people would ever talk to each other. Or the characters can go around in these important roles, but if they were thrown into the real world they wouldn't survive a day as a ship captain or a military general. There's nothing wrong with unrealistic anime when that's the intention in a caricaturistic way. There just isn't any adult content or intelectual depth to an anime that's primary characteristic is that unrealistic caricaturism and fun light hearted childishness. Let alone dialog that makes sense and interesting character goals, ambisions, or growth. Even in a cartoon like Peanuts, or Transformers, there's a lot more depth to the dialog and plot of each episode. Even simple things can be very good or very bad.
Old 2011-01-11, 22:17   Link #19
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Fanservice and Lolicons that all you need for a good anime
Old 2011-01-12, 03:23   Link #20
roriconfan
Banned

^ Not for long if that Youth Bill comes out.