AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 14 14.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.02%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 15.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.09%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.03%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-24, 19:57   Link #81
Sixth
Hu Tao

OK...Taiga is such a horny girl...I like it.
Old 2008-10-24, 20:38   Link #82
BigGimp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
OK...Taiga is such a horny girl...I like it.
interesting... lol

All in all another good episode. Taiga needs a beer or something to take the edge off when around Kitamura.

I thought the Star Bucks reference was kinda cool lol.

I'm still trying not to get too attached to this anime for fear of JC Staff ruining it down that road.
Old 2008-10-24, 20:42   Link #83
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Does anyone think there is any significance in Minorin showing Ryuuji that bucket of pudding first?
Spoiler for NSFW:

Either that or it is a childish desire because I was told during my very much younger day by a half-Japanese friend that "I would like to eat a bucketful of pudding!" when he is unhappy or hungry.

P.S Pre-Parade doesn't really sound that nice. Vanilla Salt is much better.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2008-10-24 at 21:05.
Old 2008-10-24, 22:05   Link #84
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Spoiler for NSFW:

Either that or it is a childish desire because I was told during my very much younger day by a half-Japanese friend that "I would like to eat a bucketful of pudding!" when he is unhappy or hungry.

P.S Pre-Parade doesn't really sound that nice. Vanilla Salt is much better.
Oddly enough, that's the reverse of my opinion.

I actually like Pre-Parade more than Vanilla Salt, just because for some odd reason Pre-Parade is enjoyable to listen to and the lesser of two evils. To be REALLY honest, I don't like either of them that much. Sorry?

This was a curious episode. You get more of this feeling that Ryuuji is really being dragged along though, and especially when he comes to the conclusion that Kitamura is an irresponsible idiot for causing so much romantic trouble considering his past desires for a certain present desiring girl. I have to agree though... Kitamura better have a good reason (no spoilers please!) for the trouble. I would be pissed if I was in Ryuuji's shoes.

Back to the Taiga being a horn-do.... A dollish young girl. Yeah... Ok I can't hold that back. She's knocking on Subway's Door for a Kitamura-Loadout Footlong and she's got five bucks (+ tax) in her purse.

She's trying to overcome her height issues at the A&W counter attempting to get a Kita-Dog, A&W's largest hot-dog yet.

I have NEVER seen an anime character oggle so many pictures with such interest at once in my entire life and I deeply hope I never see such a stalker-ish thing again. I can only hope that Kitamura wasn't so creepy when he was in love with Taiga, because then I would have flashbacks to the series Home Movies on Adult Swim and the double-stalker relationship that occurs in one episode.

Old 2008-10-24, 22:49   Link #85
Peanutbutter

I love Inko-chan!

What I liked about this series is the narration of Ryuuji. Some felt that in Haruhi, Kyon was carrying the show with his narration. I feel the same here.

I'm also surprised by every scene and every line because it's not what I kinda expected, and always had a good laugh, especially Inko-chan's last line.

I think I liked the OP better than the ED.
Old 2008-10-24, 22:55   Link #86
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Inko is annoying. And there is one line Taiga said that made me laugh my ass off....

"....pets often look like their owners."

LOL. But the way she suddenly changes her expression when she is taught to read English is hilarious too. How that dreamy look on her face suddenly turn into a scowl.
Old 2008-10-25, 02:07   Link #87
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This is a formal warning to the posters who are engaging in speculation based on the novel/manga knowledge. Do remember that this thread is dedicated to anime only. All discussion will have to correspond to the context of an episode. There is a spoilers and speculation thread in place to accommodate a discussion for those experienced viewers who have the novel/manga knowledge to this show.

Hence, be warned that the next time a poster will be banned for speculating in this thread when it becomes clear that the speculation is based on the foreknowledge by reading up on the manga/novel. If the first time viewers want to speculate, then please do so in the spoiler and speculation for first time viewers.

Can I also ask the general to report () a post which is engaging any more of these kind of speculation based on the novel/manga? It is very unfair to the anime-only viewers, especially when there are several threads dedicated to manga/novel.
Old 2008-10-25, 02:52   Link #88
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
man, i feel bad for ryuji. taiga's extreme mood swings are almost impossible to handle. she's like having her menopause or something... so bitchy at times...

and taiga's so freaky she scares me drooling over kitamura's pics, giggling like a dirty old man over physical contact... man she's obsessed...

anyone thinks that inko-chan actually had a stroke?
Old 2008-10-25, 03:24   Link #89
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I feel bad for Ryuuji with that double standard. Taiga stares at Yusaku like a menace and Ryuuji is willing to help her get him a good picture. He then looks at Minori as she's doing her job or walking away and BOOM. Poked in the eyes.

Boo.
Old 2008-10-25, 03:26   Link #90
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
I feel bad for Ryuuji with that double standard. Taiga stares at Yusaku like a menace and Ryuuji is willing to help her get him a good picture. He then looks at Minori as she's doing her job or walking away and BOOM. Poked in the eyes.

Boo.
well ryuji's just too nice and taiga, well, too freaky
Old 2008-10-25, 03:27   Link #91
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Well woman are hard to read.
Old 2008-10-25, 03:55   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One difference is that Taiga is protective of her first friend Minorin and isn't sure Ryuuji is worthy of Minorin (i.e. "How impudent!!"). As Ryuuji and Taiga progress as comrades in scheming .... I suppose we're supposed to start wondering how much of it might be Taiga starting to get a bit possessive of Ryuuji.
Old 2008-10-25, 04:51   Link #93
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
One difference is that Taiga is protective of her first friend Minorin and isn't sure Ryuuji is worthy of Minorin (i.e. "How impudent!!"). As Ryuuji and Taiga progress as comrades in scheming .... I suppose we're supposed to start wondering how much of it might be Taiga starting to get a bit possessive of Ryuuji.
Well Taiga could be using Ryuji as a crutch for all her insecurities and flaws whereas Ryuji could be developing the martyr complex, trying to save Taiga from herself to justify his own sophistry.

Both are lonely people at the start too, so there is added incentive.
Old 2008-10-25, 10:07   Link #94
pparker

Every time I watch an episode of this show, I think "meh", then I come here and read the comments and sort of wonder. What is it about this show that makes so many people rate it above average, when it only really stands out for the art and occasional new twist on an old situation? The characters are somewhat unique, though still expansions/variations on stock personalities (except Taiga, who is a pure-blood, two-note tsundere).

One clue I got from reading translation notes on a subbers blog: There are more than the usual Japanese cultural references (specifically not anime references like were in Lucky Star), which means that much of the humor is missed by a non-Japanese person. Usually, if you have to read a reference to get the meaning of a joke, it's too late. Or as in, since I don't read Japanese, I can't be expected to get the shout out to Clannad. Anime references cross cultural boundaries easily, since they are recognizable to fans everywhere, and make a show more accessible. I see Toradora! as a real challenge to localize if it is licensed elsewhere, because the situational and gag comedy doesn't carry it alone.

I watch the show, I occasionally smile or even chuckle, never LOL, and the next day I don't remember it unless I really think about it (as opposed to Kannagi, for instance). I guess bottom line, I hate to criticize at this point since so many people like it, but I just don't feel the level of awesomeness that exudes from this forum. Or... maybe the attraction is the teen romance/angst part, which I'm probably getting too old to appreciate anyway after about 50 of those series.
Old 2008-10-25, 15:09   Link #95
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post
Every time I watch an episode of this show, I think "meh", then I come here and read the comments and sort of wonder. What is it about this show that makes so many people rate it above average, when it only really stands out for the art and occasional new twist on an old situation? The characters are somewhat unique, though still expansions/variations on stock personalities (except Taiga, who is a pure-blood, two-note tsundere).

One clue I got from reading translation notes on a subbers blog: There are more than the usual Japanese cultural references (specifically not anime references like were in Lucky Star), which means that much of the humor is missed by a non-Japanese person. Usually, if you have to read a reference to get the meaning of a joke, it's too late. Or as in, since I don't read Japanese, I can't be expected to get the shout out to Clannad. Anime references cross cultural boundaries easily, since they are recognizable to fans everywhere, and make a show more accessible. I see Toradora! as a real challenge to localize if it is licensed elsewhere, because the situational and gag comedy doesn't carry it alone.

I watch the show, I occasionally smile or even chuckle, never LOL, and the next day I don't remember it unless I really think about it (as opposed to Kannagi, for instance). I guess bottom line, I hate to criticize at this point since so many people like it, but I just don't feel the level of awesomeness that exudes from this forum. Or... maybe the attraction is the teen romance/angst part, which I'm probably getting too old to appreciate anyway after about 50 of those series.
Ah well interests do fade some time. I was once an addict of MMORPGs and Strategy gaming, but now, I have taken an interest in something else, anime.

Maybe you should switch to another anime, there are so many out there if this doesn't suit your taste. I watched ef - tales of memories for 2-3 eps and gave up, the storyline is so boring.
Old 2008-10-25, 16:14   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post

I do get the impression that many of the aspects of the show, since they are unspoken or expressed without dialog - are missed by people who may be less familiar with japanese cultural motifs.
I'd just have to subjectively dispute the idea that "the situational and gag comedy doesn't carry it alone" --- what makes you laugh may just differ from what makes me laugh. I find the humor derived from the collision of such dysfunctional personalities to be one of the stronger points of the series.

I even dispute the "Taiga, who is a pure-blood, two-note tsundere" assertion but again, you can take two people - show them exactly the same events and they'll often come away with quite different interpretations of what they saw. It depends on how they weight subtleties, body language, voice tonality and their own personal experience and cultural experience. Interpretation of the behavior of other people often isn't a factual analysis but an internal judgmental process based on previous experience.
Old 2008-10-25, 20:38   Link #97
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I liked the addition of the student council president in this episode, I feel it's about time we saw someone who might potentially be viewed a rival for Taiga with Kitamura. Did they even mention the president's name though? Looking back over the episode I don't see anyone call her by name, though I haven't rewatched the whole thing.

The bucket pudding makes Minori seem more like a normal girl somehow (albeit perhaps immature). It's like those polls that show women like chocolate more than sex, there's some kind of intimate bond between girls and puddings I think.

I agree with whoever said that the fact she showed the pics to Ryuu first might be significant. Right back in ep2 (I think) when she thought there was a Ryuu x Taiga love-love thing going on, I got the sense she fancied Ryuu herself and was putting a brave face on it. In fact it's pretty clear that Ryuu doesn't need Taiga's help at all, he gets plenty of chances to interact with Minori anyhow, all he needs is a bit more self-confidence.

However I don't think Minori's photo gift was meant as an invitation to Ryuu to indulge in a bukkake session with her..... ^_^;;;

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2008-10-25, 23:54   Link #98
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
However I don't think Minori's photo gift was meant as an invitation to Ryuu to indulge in a bukkake session with her..... ^_^;;;
And I thought someone said Taiga is a horny girl. Bird of the same feather flock together, after all.
Old 2008-10-26, 00:11   Link #99
typhonsentra

What's the deal with Ryuuji and Kitamura anyway? They're supposed to be close but it never seems like they have much a a bond. At best they act like casual school acquaintances.
Old 2008-10-26, 01:00   Link #100
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
What's the deal with Ryuuji and Kitamura anyway? They're supposed to be close but it never seems like they have much a a bond. At best they act like casual school acquaintances.
Maybe someone that doesn't judge him by those eyes counts as a friend to Ryuugi . Haven't really picked up the best of friends feeling with Kitamura and Ryuugi. Sure could classify as friends, but doesn't feel that close from the view I've seen to this point.