Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 16:50   Link #2761
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Mako is just really hard to control. You're always oversteering or overcorrecting for everything, and it's too easy to flip over.
Old 2012-04-01, 16:59   Link #2762
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The Mako is no Landmaster. Activate the jump jets and it doesn't try to balance out like the Landmaster in Starfox would. Jump-jet wrong in the Mako and hilarity ensues.
Old 2012-04-01, 17:15   Link #2763
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
I think I liked ME1 the best due to best RPG elements (inventory, exp., skills tree) and exploration + it was something new. I generally picked ME as it was by the same studio that made KOTOR.

I don't know what problems you have with Mako, because I thought it was both fun and innovative, and you didn't get bored just walking on foot all the mission.
At last after KOTOR you had normal romance, more action and quality graphics with exciting plot.

So that's why I liked ME 1 the best - it was something new, not dumbed down to more action oriented game.

I personally didn't see a problem with messed up inventory as I played games like Oblivion,Kotor(again) etc., where you also had a complete mess.
The problem with Mako exploration was that the entire planet was boring and everything was the same. In each "new" planet there is three area of interests and most of them are the same. And as others mentioned the Mako control is terrible.

Mass Effect 1 is a decent game but has not aged well. Sure it does has more rpg elements, but it has a terrible inventory system and recycled areas. Worst of all it the shooting is horrible and there is no reason to use certain guns as there is no variation. The overall gameplay was just not good, but I understand that to a pure rpg fan the first game would be most enjoyable.
Mass Effect 3 could and should have been the best game of all three. If they had just added more dialogue options and the side quest were better, I would have called it the Mass Effect (and improved ending as well). Maybe the side quests could be improved via dlc.

At this point I am hoping that someday Bioware will remake the entire Mass Effect franchise into one game. All the games would have the same gameplay just like three and all the rpg elements of the original. Well a man can dream.
Old 2012-04-01, 17:16   Link #2764
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

Relevant for MAKO talk.

Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 17:23   Link #2765
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

One of the things that keeps me preferring ME1 over all the others is that spacebar doesn't do everything. Fuck I can't count how many times I died in ME3 because spacebar did something I totally did not want it to do.

ME2 isn't much better, but at least there spacebar only does three things. In ME3 it does like five things. Why? It would have been easy enough to make left-shift sprint, E interact with objects and actors, spacebar jump/roll and left-control enter/exit cover.
Old 2012-04-01, 17:30   Link #2766
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
One of the things that keeps me preferring ME1 over all the others is that spacebar doesn't do everything. Fuck I can't count how many times I died in ME3 because spacebar did something I totally did not want it to do.

ME2 isn't much better, but at least there spacebar only does three things. In ME3 it does like five things. Why? It would have been easy enough to make left-shift sprint, E interact with objects and actors, spacebar jump/roll and left-control enter/exit cover.
YOu are forgetting that the controls were most likely first developed for a console controller which has limited buttons. SO when porting the control scheme over to the PC, they didn't bother to change it which is why we are stuck with "spacebar does everything".
Old 2012-04-01, 17:47   Link #2767
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The worst part about the Mako wasn't the handling, but the "SURPRISE!" instagib thresher maws.

And even when you learned to predict where they'd pop up, they still took more time than was fun to kill.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 17:51   Link #2768
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The worst part about the Mako wasn't the handling, but the "SURPRISE!" instagib thresher maws.

And even when you learned to predict where they'd pop up, they still took more time than was fun to kill.
Fighting the thresher maw on foot during Grunt's loyalty mission in ME2 was much more satisfying.
Old 2012-04-01, 20:42   Link #2769
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

You have no idea how many times I died during my first Maw enocunter in ME1.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 20:46   Link #2770
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I loved the Mako. Bounding around riding off of cliffs, using the jets to see how much air time I could get.

Good times.
Old 2012-04-01, 21:16   Link #2771
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
You have no idea how many times I died during my first Maw enocunter in ME1.
I actually didn't have any issue the first time. It was on extremely flat ground and I had plenty of room to circle-strafe the damn thing. It's AI was so terrible it totally fell for it and died quickly.
Old 2012-04-01, 21:17   Link #2772
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I actually didn't have any issue the first time. It was on extremely flat ground and I had plenty of room to circle-strafe the damn thing. It's AI was so terrible it totally fell for it and died quickly.
What made the encounter so much worse, is that it was my first time playing ME1. After playing ME2 from start to finish several times. I was so out of the zone with the Mako, I got use to it later, but at the start, I was a TRUE noob. That Maw made me its bitch.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 23:24   Link #2773
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Sooo how many people predict PAX will go something like this?

Go to 1:05

With all the crap going on on the internet one of them is bound to crack sooner or later.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 00:02   Link #2774
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

The sky boxes on planets looked absolutely gorgeous in mass effect 1, If anything else it was just fun driving around and just watching the sky.
Old 2012-04-02, 04:58   Link #2775
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
The sky boxes on planets looked absolutely gorgeous in mass effect 1, If anything else it was just fun driving around and just watching the sky.
True that.

Also, I'm not sure I get what's people's problem with not having dialogue OPTIONS when party members don't have anything else to say in ME3... I mean, dialogue options in the previous games (and most other games like that) end up being repetitive anyway. The only reason to talk to them was to check whether something has changed, not review the dialogue one more time. Eliminating most of the repetitive dialogue actually helped with immersion, for my part. I can't ask the things I want anyway, might as well keep it straight and simple. CRPGs can only go so far. For a true RPG, you need a human puppeteer, at least as far as dialogue options are concerned.
Old 2012-04-02, 06:05   Link #2776
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
True that.

Also, I'm not sure I get what's people's problem with not having dialogue OPTIONS when party members don't have anything else to say in ME3... I mean, dialogue options in the previous games (and most other games like that) end up being repetitive anyway. The only reason to talk to them was to check whether something has changed, not review the dialogue one more time. Eliminating most of the repetitive dialogue actually helped with immersion, for my part. I can't ask the things I want anyway, might as well keep it straight and simple. CRPGs can only go so far. For a true RPG, you need a human puppeteer, at least as far as dialogue options are concerned.
Asides from a few NPC's (like Bailey), I do feel they nailed the interaction in ME3, trimming it down to be less tedious while still keeping the amount of dialogue up. If the characters have something new to say, then you can use the dialogue wheel on them, but otherwise if you just like to hear them quip for a quick one then the Zaeed/Kasumi-style dialogue works just fine. It also allows for a degree of interaction between NPC's that was lacking in ME2 and even ME1 - seeing your squadmates talk to each other without you having to initiate a discussion or being in an elevator makes them feel more alive (along with the fact that they moved around the Normandy this time around).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 14:45   Link #2777
Aqua Knight

Did you save geth/quarians or peace?

I did save geth as I didn't know you could peace everyone.
Old 2012-04-02, 14:53   Link #2778
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I did that the first time lol. The whole Migrant Fleet got wiped out.

I said, "aw hail no. Fuck that sheep." and re-did the last 2 hours I played leading up to that part. I forgot to do the mission that would destroy the geth fighter squadron servers. :P
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 15:18   Link #2779
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Did you save geth/quarians or peace?

I did save geth as I didn't know you could peace everyone.
The only way you're completely doomed and can't negotiate the peace is if you let Tali get exiled and you either don't do Legion's loyalty mission or you rewrite the geth. That gives you 0 "points" from ME2, and you can only get 2 "points" in ME3, so if you mess up in ME2 you are boned in ME3.

If you destroy the heretic geth and get Tali acquitted, you have 4 "points" before you even start ME3, and you need 5-7 "points" to negotiate a peace with the geth, which means the only thing you have to do one of the extra Rannoch missions, either destroying the geth squadron or saving Zaal'Koris.

I got Tali acquitted but I rewrote the heretic geth so I started with 2 "points" and thus had to do both Rannoch missions in order to negotiate a peace, but I never thought about skipping either mission. I wanted all of the missions.
Old 2012-04-02, 15:21   Link #2780
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

Saved both fleets.

Right now I'm replaying the entire trilogy again, went with a Earthborn Sole Survivor Femshep. Of course, I'm being renegade for the most part but also paragon with the crew (with the exception of Garrus, I want him be renegade).

I want that scene when Kaidan and Liara fight over Shepard. Of course, Ashley vs Liara is more funny than Kaidan vs Liara but since I went femShep... Should have put a mod and made by Shepard fall in love with Ashely.
Linkark07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass