Notices

Old 2011-10-31, 17:19   Link #701
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
*snip*
I think the archetype being followed here isn't the historical bloodthirsty brigand, but the idealized adventurer-rogue like in Skies of Arcadia or Revenant Wings (stress on idealized). Not to say that extortion or outright plunder doesn't happen (we've seen Fam and her companions scuttle and loot a skyship in episode 1, and the Lasas was pretty much sold piece by piece in this episode), but if there's any bloodletting shown, it'll likely won't be done by the people of Kartoffel.

Anyway I too am looking forward to the triumphant return of the Silvana crew, but judging from the previews so far in the usual places, it's going to be a whole-new crew with just Tatiana and Alister as old hands. I hope I'm wrong though, as I'd like to see the mechanics as well, but we'll see.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2011-10-31 at 17:47.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 17:24   Link #702
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Episode 3 was impressive, with nice light shows and establishing of character. I'm wondering how they will adapt to the new world.

Not too much to say here, solid stuff and will watch for more growth.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 17:42   Link #703
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I'd love to see the mechanics back either right now for some real fan wanking as part of the new Silvius crew or at least later as well that listening officer girl as she was cool in her minimal scenes and her one big moment listening within the Grand Stream during the climax of the show.
On the official website, we know that Olaf is the Chief Mechanic, so no Godwin. The listening officer isn't Wina Lightning either, she's wearing glasses and look younger. Although, I'm starting to think that the Silvana is still Sophia's ship and the the crew haven't changed. But it also probably stay closer to where they "settled down".

The Silvius seems more like a vanguard. By crossing matching information from episode 3 and the glossary, Sadri was hunting it somewhere in Giona, right in Ades territory...
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 18:56   Link #704
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Anyway I too am looking forward to the triumphant return of the Silvana crew, but judging from the previews so far in the usual places, it's going to be a whole-new crew with just Tatiana and Alister as old hands.
Yeah, that is my expectation, this'll be Tatiana's new crew. If we see the rest of the old crew it'll probably be later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
On the official website, we know that Olaf is the Chief Mechanic, so no Godwin. The listening officer isn't Wina Lightning either, she's wearing glasses and look younger. Although, I'm starting to think that the Silvana is still Sophia's ship and the the crew haven't changed. But it also probably stay closer to where they "settled down".

The Silvius seems more like a vanguard. By crossing matching information from episode 3 and the glossary, Sadri was hunting it somewhere in Giona, right in Ades territory...
Yeah. I saw her too and that's a good point we already know who the chief mechanic is too.

Ah that's right Wina. Maybe some of the old crew will show up later.

Actually that's not a bad idea.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 04:26   Link #705
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
<theorycrafting>

My thoughts about the Silvana's whereabouts.

It might be still in Anatoray, where it serves as the Imperial Barge/Anatorian/Alliance Flagship- with Sophia being the commander of it when needed, but usually commanded by someone else- think Madthane or Vincent (Vincent is the most likely person to command the Silvana after Alex- after all, all 6 Urbanus-Class Ships were sunk 2 years ago- most of them by Alex and the Silvana herself.). No one wants to risk the symbol of the Alliance in "relatively uncharted" skies, so instead they send its successor, the Silvius.

That also makes me think of as to the Slivius' mission. It might be intelligence gathering and attempts to secure alliances (it might be within the vicinity of the Grand Lake when Ades attacked Turan- that's why Dio managed to relay the information to Fam in a roundabout manner- remember that Alliance (i will refer to anyone/ship from the First Season's Prester as the "alliance" from this point on) now has the capability of long distance communication via the Claudia Levitation Units (CLUs) and Guild Communicator necklaces (considering 2 years ago, Alvis was given one and Dio did not lose his) that were captured following the 13th of Toragos Offensive. It might also be interested in some of the Anti-Claudia technology being used (namely the Claudia-jamming harpoons the Sky Pirates use), as well as other technologies.

On the other hand, the Sky Pirates may benefit with associating with the Silvius- particularly Giselle/Gizey- to her the Silvius is the very definition of a "ghost/alien ship" and would love to study it and the associated technology- i would suspect that she would take long walks in it once she sets aboard. Fam might benefit in a more lol manner- in the form of one of the Silvius' vanship pilots (please let it be a guy please let it be a guy) and some of Tatiana's tutelage. Millia on the other hand would also benefit with the cooperation with the Alliance as will Sophia on the other end.

</theorycrafting>
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 07:24   Link #706
ookamigirl

New episode was good.
Dealt more with everyday stuff and life in general.
More relaxed than the previous episodes.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 07:59   Link #707
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 3 was simply beautiful and we learn there is not enough resources once again to sustain the Earth all its peoples at least according to the Ades Federation. I loved the episode some very beautiful scenes and imagery and the characters are starting to come into their own.

This waiting for my Hime-sama to appear Tatiana and the Silvius is literally taking years of my life. I have no doubt that the Silvius will manned by the Elite of Anatoray once again. Also, i am sure the colors and flags it will be flying will be Anatoray's. Now for what purpose are they here and what is their mission.

I just imagined a conversation between Tatiana and Fam and im sure once Tatiana sees Fam fly and her attitude it will remind her of Claus.

You have to have some big ballz to even think about let alone attempt to steal the Silvius. lol
Old 2011-11-01, 11:51   Link #708
Helius

If someone would care to enlighten me, how on Earth(!) do they replenish Claudia? I thought the substance was unique to Prester (or maybe the colony worlds by extension?) or did they just bring cratefuls of the stuff back?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 12:13   Link #709
azarhal

I think one of the show director/creator said that we should learn more about Claudia in Fam. There is also something written in Greek in the first season that says: "All Claudia return to Exile". Actually, the Exile interior looked like Claudia in the first season (blue crystals).

It's quite possible there was Claudia back on Earth before people went into Exile too. It might have been something created as a clean energy source more than 600 years ago...

Personally, I have the feeling it might just be nano machines kept in sleeping mode all packed together (blue rocks form) and once they get "dissolved" in water they wake up and create magnetic fields when spinning. Once they run out of energy you need to "refuel".
Old 2011-11-01, 13:10   Link #710
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
I think one of the show director/creator said that we should learn more about Claudia in Fam. There is also something written in Greek in the first season that says: "All Claudia return to Exile". Actually, the Exile interior looked like Claudia in the first season (blue crystals).

It's quite possible there was Claudia back on Earth before people went into Exile too. It might have been something created as a clean energy source more than 600 years ago...

Personally, I have the feeling it might just be nano machines kept in sleeping mode all packed together (blue rocks form) and once they get "dissolved" in water they wake up and create magnetic fields when spinning. Once they run out of energy you need to "refuel".

Thats what im guessing as well. I had a feeling ever since the first season that Claudia was related to the nano machines that earths predecessors used to repair earth a renewable clean source of energy or green energy. That theory is very plausible as nano machine can keep multiplying by creating more of themselves and only need to interact with water.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:28   Link #711
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In her blog a couple of hours ago, Yuuki Aoi has offered us her drawing of her character, Giselle. She says she hopes it will substitute for Hallowe'en candy and we won't play any tricks on her.

Spoiler:

Ao-chan says she loves Giselle, who is totally moe, gentle and kind, as well as being really into machines. She says she'd like to marry her, and that she would be so soft to hold. Then she apologizes for going too far. She posted at 2:24am Monday, Tokyo time.
Wow, that's by her VA? That's really good.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:18   Link #712
azarhal

I found a better picture of the Silvius from Hyperweapon 2011 and that ship have

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2011-11-01, 19:29   Link #713
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
I found a better picture of the Silvius from Hyperweapon 2011 and that ship have

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Given how the ships on Earth seem to be not only larger and heavily-armored than those fielded by Anatoray and Disith, but they don't seem to have the same vulnerable mid-areas that characterized the latter either. So in the face of this, overwhelming firepower makes a lot of sense. It makes me wonder though that this means that the Vanship complement will be smaller (the vanship squad in the first season was composed of five two-man crews), or whether the pilots in the OP will use the single-seater type that Dio used instead.
Old 2011-11-01, 20:53   Link #714
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
We need a pic of that posted in here ASAP!

or at least PMed to me :3

on the other hand, I'm sure the crew would still have a lot of space to live on.

And gauging from the EP4 Preview, i doubt that the Silvius would be using Earth-Spec Single-seater Vanships- i mean Fam is playing chicken with a heavily armed, armored and very fast Anatorian Fighter Vanship, which is about 2-3x larger than her Custom Vespa.

Last edited by Saint X; 2011-11-01 at 21:08.
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 22:05   Link #715
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
I've never seen the original, but I'm enjoying this so far. Dio is definitely my favorite character at the moment, though that's always subject to change.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 23:45   Link #716
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
So it's OK to steal, as long as it's from bona fide bad guys?

What, the Sky Pirates just mind their own business, and then only steal from those who steal from them or who attack them?

But maybe you have in mind the idea, as Xion Valkyrie suggests, that the Sky Pirates are engaged in a low-level guerrilla war with the Ades Federation, and their theft amounts to spoils of war? Could be, but we'd need some back story to show that the Sky Pirates plan to win a war and to stop being pirates at some future date. Otherwise, their piracy is just a way of life, and is piracy pure and simple.

The hints that Fam is a princess points to some such possible resolution.

On the other hand, the history lesson we got in this episode suggests that there has been one dispossession after another, and that no party has any real moral standing. In a world where everyone's a pirate, the only difference among them rests with who's better at it--Fam has such flair!--and who's less cruel about the bloody business.

There's your out, Meo, Xion. Care to take it?
I'm not the one that brought up the issue of the morality of Ades invading Turan. War is generally never moral. It's usually only the victor who paints himself as the 'righteous' side. If the Ades Federation takes control of the world, then the Sky Pirates would probably be labeled terrorists. If the Sky Pirates topple the Ades Federation, then they'd be revolutionists.

Also, stealing is not always 'immoral'. If you define morality by being against the law, then unless the Sky Pirates are bound by a set of international laws that are universally accepted, they are not breaking any specific law. If morality is based on the perception of the masses, then you can look at the many cases history where stealing was celebrated (wikileaks, enigma, robin hood, etc).

So far we haven't seen them killing anyone (it seems like they just release the crew while taking the ship). Even if they did kill everyone though, its fairly natural in war. Whether or not that makes them 'murderers' is up to personal interpretation. Another point to consider is that so far we've only seen them target Ades Warships.

So in the end it comes down to, who do I like better? So far Fam and her Sky Pirate family seem like really good people, so I like them better. Now, if all of a sudden they turned into a bunch of sadistic killers, then I probably wouldn't like them very much
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 12:39   Link #717
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
The scene which they return the wings to the sky ... it is beautiful ...
I have to admit, I cried during the returning wings to the sky scene. I can't exactly explain why, I just did.

Quote:
Fam's dream is a bit cheesy but was incorporated extremely well with the flow of the story.
Heh, Fam's dream of a new Grand Race, with her winning is exactly what I expect from her.

Quote:

Milia's character development was so wonderful. In one episode she went from a whiny princess to a mature lady without excessive drama. Fam's character continue to impress me. There are many points that I expected her to react in an over dramatic fashion either sympathetically or rashly, but she just reacted so calmly ... and so appropriately. For me, I know I can fall in love with the story if the characters' tears stir emotions within me.

I am honestly in love with the three main characters (especially now that their faces don't look ridiculous up close this episode).
I was honestly loving Fam and Gisey from the start, but Millia has definitely grown on me over the last couple episodes. I really don't think she was much of a whiny princess, I only really got that the beginning of the latest episode. Which I can kind of understand, you know after losing her father, her home, and possibly her sister in less then a day. (Some one tell me if I am wrong to think the first two episodes take place over the course of less then 24 hours.) But you are right stuopidget, her development over the last episode was wonderful.

Last edited by Stevie_Nix; 2011-11-02 at 12:52.
Stevie_Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 12:51   Link #718
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In her blog a couple of hours ago, Yuuki Aoi has offered us her drawing of her character, Giselle. She says she hopes it will substitute for Hallowe'en candy and we won't play any tricks on her.
Spoiler for Picture:

Oh, that is lovely. I was wondering when people were going to start producing fan art of the main characters. Thanks for sharing Kaoru Chujo.
Stevie_Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 12:59   Link #719
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
Oh, that is lovely. I was wondering when people were going to start producing fan art of the main characters. Thanks for sharing Kaoru Chujo.
It already began.
Old 2011-11-02, 16:47   Link #720
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
I have to admit, I cried during the returning wings to the sky scene. I can't exactly explain why, I just did.

Heh, Fam's dream of a new Grand Race, with her winning is exactly what I expect from her.

I was honestly loving Fam and Gisey from the start, but Millia has definitely grown on me over the last couple episodes. I really don't think she was much of a whiny princess, I only really got that the beginning of the latest episode. Which I can kind of understand, you know after losing her father, her home, and possibly her sister in less then a day. (Some one tell me if I am wrong to think the first two episodes take place over the course of less then 24 hours.) But you are right stuopidget, her development over the last episode was wonderful.
Yeah, that scene was really well executed and also had a beautiful music track choice.

Heh, yeah.

Also loved the way they talked of the race and several of Fam's ideas about flying and the skies as a reminder of the love of flying/early flight undercurrent theme from the first series.

Same here I got into their characters very quickly. Speaking of Gisey, I also hope we learn more about her soon and some of her cool skills like if she does indeed have a photographic memory like what I took from that interesting shot of her looking over the layout of the Impetus which was neat. And the last two did a really good job introducing/developing Millia.

Loved the start of the reveals for Fam's past and Millia's growth was really good over the 3 episodes, and the moment where she's in the rain looking at the destroyed capital burning (along with the funeral scene and the Ades meeting) I thought was a great moment getting across that this show can indeed reach the heights of the first one, I can totally understand her arc over the course of this episode and think they did a great job with her, especially if her growth from this one mostly holds and continues.

Yeah, I do not think you are wrong to think that the first two eps took place over less than 24 hours. The way the day-night cycle progressed throughout the rapid events definitely made it feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Awesome, good to see the show grabbing attention from the fan artists!

Tags
adventure, science fiction