AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-06, 20:29   Link #161
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
The novels were very firm with this scene, though it was considerably more watered down in the TV series. Thinking about it back then, I believe debates about the possibility of a lovemaking session were pretty rampant in the Japanese boards, so people have already mused about the implications, though understandably, the English speaking fanbase arrived to a more innocent conclusion.
It wasn't because we came to the more innocent conclusion, but because we had trouble convincing certain people that there was even a kiss, let alone anything more. I remember someone busting out a detailed analysis of how Alto was wearing his jacket replete with zoomed in images to convince the nonbelievers.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 21:27   Link #162
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, it wouldn't have meshed well with some of the later happenings, anyway.

BTW, could you elaborate a bit on the part in book four of the "music plane" where Sheryl, Alto and Ranka meet? I am still a bit iffy on them gaining a "perfect understanding" of each other, i.e. do they gain access to each other memories or their personalities or do you interpret the scene completely differently?
Also, with the perfect triangle thing, Sheryl's condition hasn't really been cured in the novelization, has it?
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 05:39   Link #163
raeryne

yeah, about Sheryl's sickness...the virus just transferred(?) to the stomach area(??)...it's still there, right?so what will happen to her now?

also...please explain the comment Alto made on Ranka = sky...I don't want to think what I'm thinking of it...because since Alto is "obssesed" with the sky and all...I don't know, it's just...unacceptable?
raeryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 05:58   Link #164
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeryne View Post
yeah, about Sheryl's sickness...the virus just transferred(?) to the stomach area(??)...it's still there, right?so what will happen to her now?
Basically what happened was that Ranka transformed Sheryls sickness into the same state that Ranka is in, a symbiosis between Sheryl and the Vajra.

Quote:
also...please explain the comment Alto made on Ranka = sky...I don't want to think what I'm thinking of it...because since Alto is "obssesed" with the sky and all...I don't know, it's just...unacceptable?
Well, Alto was being pressured by Michael to take back Ranka to Frontier and take her feelings into account, which forced him to open up a bit to the possibility of Ranka being genuinely in love with him and considering what he felt for her. Let's not forget that episodes 12 - 13 were the height of what the RxA side considers their "romance" to be and that Macross Frontier was supposed to be a triangle ( although it didn't turn out to be much of one ), so it is pretty clear that in that moment Alto was expressing about one of the two or three instances were he showed a genuine interest in Ranka outside of being her protector.

Had the writing staff of Frontier built up on those two episodes, things could have gone quite differently. Instead they chose to de-emphasize the romantic aspect of the AxR relationship and go to the extreme protector / one-sided crush route, while going all-out on the SxA romantic relationship after episode 15.
Old 2010-01-07, 06:23   Link #165
glyph

Quote:
Basically what happened was that Ranka transformed Sheryls sickness into the same state that Ranka is in, a symbiosis between Sheryl and the Vajra.
Yeah, but that doesn't happen in the novel bits that we have seen translated, no?
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 07:02   Link #166
raeryne

episodes 12-13, huh...hmmm...what happened there?

sorry, my little brain can only recall episodes with mostly Sheryl in it...haha,so sorry...

about the novels,are they complete?are they just a written version of the anime?are they better?...I really want to know!!!
Old 2010-01-07, 07:03   Link #167
raeryne

[QUOTE=magnuskn;2856608]Basically what happened was that Ranka transformed Sheryls sickness into the same state that Ranka is in, a symbiosis between Sheryl and the Vajra.

so does this mean she can now do what Ranka can?about the Vajras, I mean...
Old 2010-01-07, 07:21   Link #168
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't happen in the novel bits that we have seen translated, no?
Not so far, but as neither AlaAlba nor ickem have yet said anything about the subject, I assume it is the same as in the series.

Quote:
episodes 12-13, huh...hmmm...what happened there?

sorry, my little brain can only recall episodes with mostly Sheryl in it...haha,so sorry...
Episode 12 is the one on Gallia IV, where Sheryl is sick, she and Alto get captured by rogue Zentraedi and Ranka comes to rescue them. Episode 13 is the one where Alto and Ranka are stranded on Gallia IV, Ranka gets kidnapped and needs to be rescued once more by Alto, in the end Gallia IV gets destroyed and the Vajra fleet jumps towards Frontier.

Quote:
so does this mean she can now do what Ranka can?about the Vajras, I mean...
Pretty much. In fact there is a moment in the final episode when we see Sheryl having the same "glowing belly" effect as Ranka does.
Old 2010-01-07, 07:54   Link #169
raeryne

Aha!now, I know why I couldn't remember these episodes!They were two of those episodes which I wanted to get over with...QUICK...
at first I liked Alto for choosing Sheryl's present (only if for the sky in Gallia IV)...I liked him more when he seemed upset that Sheryl was feeling so sick....

then, BAM!Ranka appeared!...and took most (if not the whole) of these two episodes...I especially disliked the forest part...!
Old 2010-01-07, 16:34   Link #170
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Pretty much. In fact there is a moment in the final episode when we see Sheryl having the same "glowing belly" effect as Ranka does.
Then What's the point of Ranka this time around? She doesn't seem that relevent to the plot if Sheryl can do exactly the same thing she can ?
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 19:10   Link #171
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Then What's the point of Ranka this time around? She doesn't seem that relevent to the plot if Sheryl can do exactly the same thing she can ?
Erm, I was talking about the final episode of the series... this was after Sheryl, Alto and Ranka had their conversation on that "higher plane of music" ( can we get an official name for that, please? ) and Ranka had cured Sheryl of her V-Type infection by transferring the lil'Vajras into Sheryls belly.

I guess you was talking about the movie?
Old 2010-01-07, 22:21   Link #172
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Quote:
Erm, I was talking about the final episode of the series... this was after Sheryl, Alto and Ranka had their conversation on that "higher plane of music" ( can we get an official name for that, please? ) and Ranka had cured Sheryl of her V-Type infection by transferring the lil'Vajras into Sheryls belly.

I guess you was talking about the movie?
Yup

Sorry about that.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 07:30   Link #173
raeryne

Too bad for Ranka...

by the way...is someone translating the novels as of now???
Old 2010-03-01, 18:00   Link #174
darkplataform

Exclamation

Well, just wanna tell I was assuming wrong the other day, since the Intermission stories aren't new at all. Newtype was releasing one chapter per month during all last year, making a total of 7 numbers.

Its strange how not even one of those get its way to this forum before. Maybe aren't so interesting stories after all, and that's why nobody mention it. (In other hand, all the pics attached were shared in the web for long time now)
Anyway, just to satisfy my curiosity I made a lookup for old Newtypes so we can all take a look at the stories:

Quote:
INTERMISSION Vol.1-7

I know an english script is too much to ask, but i hope some of u guys can get us at least the argument of the chapters
darkplataform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 20:05   Link #175
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Frontier Memories, the next book, coming out in October:

I'm assuming it'll contain all the short stories from Macross Ace.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 04:35   Link #176
magnuskn

Oooh, I want that picture in big format.
Old 2010-09-22, 07:20   Link #177
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Oooh, I want that picture in big format.
I'll buy the book when it comes out, and I'd be happy to scan the cover...except I don't have a scanner here, and I'm not sure when I can afford one. I've been living pretty much hand-to-mouth for the past couple of months...
Old 2010-09-22, 07:31   Link #178
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Lightbulb

You'd be willing to scan it? OMFG!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Please don't kill me.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 07:39   Link #179
magnuskn

Well, it'd be nice.
Old 2010-09-22, 07:40   Link #180
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You'd be willing to scan it? OMFG!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Please don't kill me.

Oh, come off it. There's a massive difference between scanning the cover of a novel and scanning an entire manga.

Besides, while I think manga is still great even if you don't speak Japanese, the same is obviously NOT true for a novel. You'll notice I haven't exhorted anyone to buy those.