AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-05, 18:36   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Kanon - Spoilers & Speculation (for experienced Kagikkos only)

This thread is for the experienced Kanon viewer (of either the Game and/or the original Kanon 2002 series), its purpose is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the new Kanon 2006 series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers. If you are a first time viewer of Kanon 2006, then do not read this thread unless you want to be spoiled (use the Kanon - Speculation & Theories thread).

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the game and/or original series, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read the BB Code FAQ.

Spoiler tag examples
[spoiler] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler:

[spoiler=subject title] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler for subject title:

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous episodes. If you want to speculate or theorize over jam, be it Akiko's or otherwise, please post in the What the heck is in Akiko's jam!? thread
Old 2006-11-05, 18:40   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Might as well kick start things~

Episode 09 is titled
Spoiler:
Of course we shouldn't start jumping to conclusions, but maybe the reason why we've been getting so much Makoto love is because her story shall end pretty soon. It makes sense when thinking about what Mai said to Yuuichi in episode 05.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-11-05 at 18:54.
Old 2006-11-05, 18:53   Link #3
New/Old
Old to the New

Spoiler for I have to be careful for those who may have missed the first post's warning. I take the fault for not being able to be vague.:

Well. Just gotta wait, eh. I'll be looking forward to see how the next couple of episodes turn out and if it may lead to the conclusion of Makoto's story.
Old 2006-11-05, 19:13   Link #4
Meophist

So we can speculate about the ending here? It's one of the big unknowns about this series so far.
Old 2006-11-05, 20:35   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Remember, 1st timers don't read this.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-05, 21:14   Link #6
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Oh thank goodness! I sometimes felt as though I was going to explode from not being able to discuss about the stuff I wanted to discuss about regarding Kanon.
~~~~ ~~~~
Spoiler:

Cheers.
Old 2006-11-06, 05:43   Link #7
orion

But ....

Spoiler for Skane's spoiler:
Old 2006-11-06, 05:45   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
So we can speculate about the ending here? It's one of the big unknowns about this series so far.
You may speculate over any aspect of Kanon, so you may post your theories about the ending if you so wish.

If anyone does want to use spoiler tags, then it's very helpful if you include a subject title in the spoiler tag.

[spoiler=subject title] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler for subject title:
Old 2006-11-06, 05:55   Link #9
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But ....

Spoiler for Skane's spoiler:
I believe that was just creative foreshadowing on KyoAni's part. We still have a long, long way to go with Makoto's story( unless they go flat out with Makoto ONLY for the next few episodes, which is contradictory to their pledge of integrating the storylines). Makoto's storyline is pretty straightforward, but not that short or simple.

Cheers.
Old 2006-11-06, 11:56   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It looks like Makoto will not
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-06, 14:31   Link #11
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I was pretty sad with Makoto's arc, I think it was the saddest part of the 2k2 Kanon. The other arc was Nayuki's, and Ayu's before she miraculously rose from the dead.
Old 2006-11-06, 14:55   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.... I'm just going to stop talking about the 2002 version at this point because I have a suspicion that this version will move it into the dustbin on story interpretation alone (much less the animation differences). Other than a nod to locations and visual references, KyoAni seems to be focusing on the source story material though it remains to be seen how they will integrate some of it.

Anyway, so far I've been delighted with the interpretation and thread-weaving of the story. It looks like each thread is going to get full play (though it is fascinating to watch how some of it interweaves). Some of the threads may require tweaking though to make them fit and I'm interested to see how they accomplish that.

I think most *literate* fans are holding their breath to see if KyoAni "AIR-izes" the plot instead of just following the TOEI plot line (in other words... just how tragic are things going to get?)
Old 2006-11-06, 15:07   Link #13
Meophist

I have some of the weirdest speculations sometimes, but...

For Kanon, I think it might be interesting if they go for a no-ending route, in that the show ends before the story ends, leaving the viewers to guess what possible ending is the actual ending for the show. They can even leave enough clues to determine the actual ending, but not actually show it.
Old 2006-11-06, 16:59   Link #14
orion

If that happens, could you imagine all the Ayu and Nayuki fans storming the place? Oh, the carnage.

But npal, she was never dead from the beginning of ep. 1.

Or we could have the "Air" ending. Everyone dies and Nayuki sends him off on the train. Yuichi holding the good luck charm saying, "I'll always be with her..."

Last edited by orion; 2006-11-06 at 17:19.
Old 2006-11-06, 17:58   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The narrator's situation was one of the "weak" points of the first anime.... how everyone might think/assume she was no more and then have Nayuki discover her at the end.... or did I misread that sequence?
Old 2006-11-06, 18:38   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The narrator's situation was one of the "weak" points of the first anime.... how everyone might think/assume she was no more and then have Nayuki discover her at the end.... or did I misread that sequence?
I'm assuming you're talking about the narration sequences before the OP? It was cryptic on purpose, exactly as it is in the new version; I thought that was one of the "better" points. It relied on people connecting the dots between the show's opening scene (looking out a window in a white room with the heart monitor beeping) and all the hints in the pre-OP sequences. It's one of those things you only figure out completely having seen the end and then you can look back (or watch again) and say "oh... now it all makes perfect sense". So, I consider that to be a good thing, as it added to the continuity and unity of the central plot. If not for those sequences, I imagine the ending would have seemed to have come out of nowhere; as it was, the ending just confirmed what the pre-OP sequences were alluding to from the very start. Unless you were referring to something else...?
Old 2006-11-06, 19:52   Link #17
orion

Spoiler for hospital room comparison:
Old 2006-11-06, 22:36   Link #18
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Okay, I think there has been enough forewarning in the earlier posts. No more spoiler tags from me from here on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
If that happens, could you imagine all the Ayu and Nayuki fans storming the place? Oh, the carnage.

But npal, she was never dead from the beginning of ep. 1.

Or we could have the "Air" ending. Everyone dies and Nayuki sends him off on the train. Yuuichi holding the good luck charm saying, "I'll always be with her..."
Oh, but she CAN die. The only reason why the little chibi keeps on ticking is because of her promise to wait for Yuuichi( years and years of waiting). Once that promise is fulfilled, she can either choose to use up her last promise to stay alive( and let the other girls/ladies croak), or sacrifice herself to save another( can we say Akiko?).

I always felt that Toei's version of Ayu's ending was too happy. Kanon's story has a huge potential to be an emotional carnage. Every main character, with the sole exception of Nayuki( because Akiko took the fall for her), has the potential to die in this story.

As I said in an earlier post made by me on another thread, I personally think it would be beautiful if after Ayu's awakening, Ayu chooses to use up her last promise to save someone and finally departs from the mortal world after clinging to her promise with Yuuichi for seven years.

That way, it will not cheapen her 'first' disappearance/death scene. In my opinion of course.

Cheers.
Old 2006-11-06, 23:55   Link #19
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
As I said in an earlier post made by me on another thread, I personally think it would be beautiful if after Ayu's awakening, Ayu chooses to use up her last promise to save someone and finally departs from the mortal world after clinging to her promise with Yuuichi for seven years.

That way, it will not cheapen her 'first' disappearance/death scene. In my opinion of course.
As much as I like Ayu, I agree. Toei's "happy ending" version just seemed...out of place. I saw where it came from (perfect ending of the game *assumption - I never played it*), but all the same, it seriously diverted from the flow of the plot.

Seriously, it seemed all too obvious she was really dead, but...I don't expect to see that aspect of the show change. The sad ending is certainly a possibility, of course, but I don't see it happening. But we shall see.

Last edited by VRMN; 2006-11-06 at 23:58. Reason: grammar
Old 2006-11-06, 23:55   Link #20
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
i have a question for y'all..... sooo.. this was taken from Episode 4 discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Rich, do you REALLY want to know the answer?

Spoiler:

i've also watched the old school kanon, but i believe i don't remember Ayu lying in a coma, i thought she died...?
Closed Thread