AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Vivid Strike! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 0 0%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 38.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 38.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 7.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 7.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-11-05, 23:53   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Vivid Strike! - Episode 6 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Vivid Strike!, Episode 6.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2016-11-06, 00:32   Link #2
Aetherdraw

The animation is on point for a short cour series, choosing the right eps to focus their budget on.

Vivio's enemy tasted the rainbows in her fists!

While disciple Fuka went for a speedy combo victory, as expected of a Hegemon user.

My wish for a breaker came true in the form of Miura's Bakken, technically.

Oh my god....
Rinne freaking shattered, not broken, but SHATTERED Miura's ribs!!!! She was even spitting blood with each blow!!! Even Nove tried to stop her but threw the towel way too late!
Old 2016-11-06, 00:34   Link #3
Key Board
Carbon

It's odd how she could bypass a barrier jacket
isn't that what's its designed to stop?
than again, this is the same girl who broke an adults arm when she was still in grade school

She's a personification of an unhappy child's violent anger
unsettling, but interesting
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2016-11-06, 00:43   Link #4
Aetherdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
It's odd how she could bypass a barrier jacket
isn't that what's its designed to stop?
It will stop the magical and physical impact, but not all of it. I don't think their devices are on the same level of defensive protection as actual Combat mages do. And even then, Nanoha and Fate have to actively deploy Round shield and Protection in battle.
Old 2016-11-06, 00:51   Link #5
Key Board
Carbon

Miura's device was made by Hayate, IIRC

so it's top of the line.

Then again, Rinne, as said, also seems to be a top of the line progeny
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2016-11-06, 02:05   Link #6
arkhangelsk

Quote:
She's a personification of an unhappy child's violent anger
unsettling, but interesting
Based on the visuals, I'm not feeling inclined to blame Rinne real or perceived personality flaws for this one. Miura pressed her hard and if Rinne wanted to win at all, she had to fight at her full strength. Her fist crushed the ribs and that was that.

To be a Monday morning quarterback, if Miura made a mistake, it was probably in not just continuing what she was doing. She was doing well enough I was wondering exactly how they were going to let Rinne win, then I saw her Bakken and I was "Oh."

She didn't need to overpower Rinne's defense. She needs to press her and get in one more down, no matter how superficial the real damage to Rinne is. Instead she exhausted her power reserve on a bunch of boosted blows that did not penetrate the defense, wound up on the wrong half of the curve, and Rinne started to counterattack, and in a last attempt to win she went for another Bakken (which presumably drained power from everywhere else). BJs were never that good against physical attacks anyway and that sealed it.
Old 2016-11-06, 03:56   Link #7
Key Board
Carbon

Rinne's special ability is she absorbs magic while taking damage
Then at the end the fight she gets all kinds of buffs because of that.
she is built to outlast her opponent

Miura misread the situation, but VIvio seems to have understood it

I'm not sure if Miura could have won normally though.
Old 2016-11-06, 04:17   Link #8
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Is that confirmed or just a theory?
Old 2016-11-06, 04:19   Link #9
Key Board
Carbon

That's what her trainer said
Old 2016-11-06, 04:31   Link #10
Aetherdraw

All i remember Jill saying is that she trained solely on toughness and being able to take lots of strong hits, basically outlasting the opponent.
Old 2016-11-06, 04:43   Link #11
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Then at the end the fight she gets all kinds of buffs because of that.
she is built to outlast her opponent

Miura misread the situation, but VIvio seems to have understood it

I'm not sure if Miura could have won normally though.
Here's what her trainer said:
「鍛えてきだのはデフェンスとタフネス。打撃に使う筋肉の鎧は、防御に置いても威力を発揮する。そして、打 たれても耐え続けるタフネスが、リンネの攻撃能力も更に高みへ持ち上げる」

So while it is true Rinne's plan is to outlast her opponent, it isn't like she absorbs magic. It's just that she's very tough, and that toughness brings benefits to her attacks as well.

Based solely on what is shown onscreen, and assuming Rinne doesn't have a huge reserve of power she can just bring out of her butt like a shonen-manga hero, I'll give Miura a good chance of getting in that 3rd down she'll need to win in the context of this match format, if she doesn't tire herself just hammering against Rinne's defence. Rinne probably attacked when she felt Miura's punches decreasing in their intensiveness and/or rate.
Old 2016-11-06, 07:43   Link #12
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Ouch, I'm afraid Miura will be in the hospital for quite a while.

As as mentioned above, Barrier Jackets as mostly designed to protect agaisnt magic damage, and physical damage to some degree.
The problem is that Rinne has outrageous strength, enough to cause actual damage even with the BJ's protection.

Also, though Zafira was her original coach, Miura learned her techniques from Signum, even if changed from sword strikes to kicks, the basis remains the same: Hit hard and fast.

Which reminds me of what Signum said in StrikerS, that all she could teach the rookies was to "get close to their opponent and tear them apart". This possibly means offense over defense and when Miura deployed Bakken, most of her magic shifted towards offensive abilities, pretty much lowering her defenses.
Old 2016-11-06, 07:54   Link #13
Boukenxha

Clearly heard Jill mention "defense" and "toughness" and it was in english as well.

Rinne is just brutal, after Miura it will be Vivio's turn to take a beating, hope she comes out with less serious injuries.
Old 2016-11-06, 08:01   Link #14
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Clearly heard Jill mention "defense" and "toughness" and it was in english as well.
Yes. From what I understand, since the last match agaisnt Vivio, Rinne has been focusing her training on toughness and defense, so she can take heavy hits and still stand. Even if she goes down, the damage taken is significantly lowered by what Jill called an "armor of muscles".
Old 2016-11-06, 08:26   Link #15
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post

Rinne is just brutal, after Miura it will be Vivio's turn to take a beating, hope she comes out with less serious injuries.
The Doylist perspective
I do too, but what's brutal is not Rinne, who just punched all-out against a clearly competitive opponent, but the writers, who decided on the ribs.

I mean, obviously Miura has to lose for the show, but did they really have to break ribs? Didn't they just dedicate most of 2 episodes trying to repair or at least give some mitigating context to Rinne's reputation after what she did to Carrie in Ep3?

The fact Miura actually did suprising well considering her clearly predestined fate only makes me feel all the more sympathetic.

The Watsonian perspective
Here's the fun one though. Is it even possible to break Vivio's body like Miura? Miura fights using her real body, while Vivio puts on a kind of adult-shaped magic exoskeleton. If Rinne damages the exoskeleton, the damage to the real body inside could be very attenuated (in fact, good design would suggest that's what should happen).

And come to think of it, now that we've seen for ourselves people really do get seriously hurt in this sport, isn't it kind of inhumane? I mean, Vivid proper decided to establish that Midchildra has sufficient magitech to almost completely attenuate the real effect of magic and physical blows (and replace it with high-fidelity simulation), at least within a ring-sized field and with kid-level fighters.

What happened to that wonderful technology? I can see the product differentiation between this sport and the DSAA, but this sport's mono-focus on fists and feet (perfectly valid options in DSAA) should be even easier to protect for. Yet as far as can be seen, no attempt is made to do so. How cheap can the organizers be?

So maybe it's the organizer's fault, too.
Old 2016-11-06, 09:41   Link #16
runset

BTW before the fight, didn't rinne swear or maybe declare that she will not use any grab technique on miura to win? Didn't she just grab miura's right shoulder berfore delivering the final blow? Did that count as a grab technique?
Old 2016-11-06, 09:46   Link #17
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by runset View Post
BTW before the fight, didn't rinne swear or maybe declare that she will not use any grab technique on miura to win? Didn't she just grab miura's right shoulder berfore delivering the final blow? Did that count as a grab technique?
I'm sure it counted. It means she couldn't stay true to her promise because Miura was better than expected.
Old 2016-11-06, 10:10   Link #18
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'm sure it counted. It means she couldn't stay true to her promise because Miura was better than expected.
I'm not that well versed in grappling techniques, but to me it looked like Rinne was about to use a grab & throw, but remembered the promise at the last second and instead decided to punch her...given the outcome, a throw might've been better

Either way, she failed to keep the promise...I wonder if Rinne will comment about it next episode.
Old 2016-11-06, 16:52   Link #19
ryllharu

Rinne pulverizing Miura's ribs aside, it's worth noting that while she promised not to use any grappling moves, right before she destroys Miura, Rinne grabs her. Rinne hesitates for a split-second, knowing she did it, but she broke her word merely because Miura was pushing her to the limit.

That's an interesting tidbit toward's Rinne's character. She knows breaking her word to Miura is wrong, but she does it anyway because she's consumed by the need to be the strongest.

As a second aside...uh...Ixpellia is awake?! I guess this is something that happened in the Vivid manga, because obviously the anime never got that far. The scans haven't gotten that far either.
Old 2016-11-06, 16:54   Link #20
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Spoiler for Ixy Response: