AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-17, 07:32   Link #2021
GDB

Also, if you're looking to build a harem (as per the original suggestion), you generally wouldn't go for the 65+ crowd, so you can throw out that category and the total population category.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 09:02   Link #2022
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
This is interesting as with anime at any rate it seems like it has good penetration across Asia. You could find ONE PIECE on KBS in Korea, ATV in Hong Kong,

Now I am not sure about J-Dramas as I don't watch them are they exported to other Asian countries often?
I was trying to write that the Japanese are unhappy about Korean entertainment coming to Japan, not Japan going to Korea...

However, to answer your question, I do know that many Japanese dramas has been shown in Asian countries, making many Johnnys boy groups popular overseas.

In anime, I know that many facets of the creation process is being outsourced to Korea, and there is a good synergy there.

It's just the whole K-POP thing and Fuji TV being too forceful that is backfiring.

Anyhow, as for the dating thing, I think its a little wrong to say that Japan is 30 years behind in terms of feminism.
As someone pointed out before, many men as choosing not to date because they learned from what their parents went through, and understand how miserable a person can be when they get married and have kids. It makes sense that men avoid relationships altogether so that they dont get forced/ pressured into marriage.

At the same time, women have also learned that being successful at work and being treated as equals from men is not what they want.
Instead they would rather be housewives and stay at home and take it easy, especially after watching the late thirties today fail miserably at "getting the best of both worlds"

So, I think the state of feminism right now is actually what women prefer and choose, rather than the men trying to stay in charge.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 09:19   Link #2023
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Also, if you're looking to build a harem (as per the original suggestion), you generally wouldn't go for the 65+ crowd, so you can throw out that category and the total population category.
65+ Japanese grandmas want inclusion in harems too man. That's age discrimination.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 09:21   Link #2024
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
From wikipedia:

So yeah, Japan has a clear gender imbalance, with something like 6-7 millions more (elderly) ladies than gents, altough of course it's nos as bad as Russia, where it concerns the whole adult population:
Don't really want to put 65 year old+ ladies into my harem, thank you very much.

Also, the abundance of women in the 65+ category is the same everywhere. It only effects japan overall gner ratio more then other places because the population is aging. IE there are a lot more old people, hence the inherent gender imbalance of the elderly has a greater effect in japan then elsewhere.

Where it counts, the 0-15, and the 15-65 category, well, there's slightly more men. Not a great place to build a harem.

Russia, however, is great, because not only is there more women in the adult 15-65 category, but there's also widespread alcoholism and other social problems among the men there. Lots of excess women waiting to be part of your Harem! Hence the whole mail order bride thing.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 11:27   Link #2025
Tom Bombadil

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2..._JapanRealTime

For picture 3, why do the Japanese carry their portable shrine almost naked? I am aware that it is some sort of tradition, but still, it has to start from somewhere.

By the way, eye-patch Noda is moe!!!
Old 2012-01-17, 11:44   Link #2026
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
For picture 3, why do the Japanese carry their portable shrine almost naked? I am aware that it is some sort of tradition, but still, it has to start from somewhere.
Fundoshi represents purity and dignity. This was taken to the point that according to folklore, people wouldn't drink from a well where a person not wearing a fundoshi had went in to get something that had fallen into that well.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 11:49   Link #2027
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:

Lol I want to know that too.

Ugh japanese so hard to read when it's completely in kanji and I'm chinese. @__@
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 12:19   Link #2028
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:

By the way, eye-patch Noda is moe!!!
Because they are carrying it into the sea, as the picture descripton clearly states.
You don't jump into the water with your clothes on, right?

Another thing: this seems to be a Yakuza festivity? Or whats with all the tattooed guys?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 13:10   Link #2029
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Another thing: this seems to be a Yakuza festivity? Or whats with all the tattooed guys?
Well those tattooed people are very likely to be Yakuza. But it doesn't necessarily mean exclusively Yakuza. Or getting that kind of tattoo is a common thing for common folks today then yikes, that's something I didn't know about japan :P
Old 2012-01-17, 14:07   Link #2030
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
How is that less of a hassle?
One-on-one relationships can be fairly stressful, just like having only one friend can be stressful. More people in the household is just a social cooperative win.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-01-17 at 14:43.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 15:32   Link #2031
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
The underworld tends to sponsor and help out with matsuris, so it's nothing unusual to see a lot of tattoos. It's all part of getting along with the locals.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 15:55   Link #2032
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
As someone pointed out before, many men as choosing not to date because they learned from what their parents went through, and understand how miserable a person can be when they get married and have kids.
Don't they know how more misersble it is the other way around. Do they know how lonely it is to be without a woman to be with you while others have? Just because their parents lived a miserable lives means that they'll have as well? Probably, its because of other reasons. Why blame it all to marriage?

They should take marriage as the final step in being a complete adult and a responsible individual that is not only supporting himself but others as well. Take this as a chance to pass unto their children their "legacy in life".

That is way too pessimistic.
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 16:35   Link #2033
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Because they are carrying it into the sea, as the picture descripton clearly states.
You don't jump into the water with your clothes on, right?

Yakuza consider themselves part of the community, even though its the "red light" side. Not participating in the shinto shrine festivals is pretty unthinkable given the yakuza self-styled cultural underpinnings.
Old 2012-01-18, 06:37   Link #2034
theAlphaDuck
is Peking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
I was trying to write that the Japanese are unhappy about Korean entertainment coming to Japan, not Japan going to Korea...
How could any one be unhappy about this lot coming to their country?

[edit - yes my picture broke the board, no i'm not sorry]
theAlphaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 11:59   Link #2035
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
Don't they know how more misersble it is the other way around. Do they know how lonely it is to be without a woman to be with you while others have? Just because their parents lived a miserable lives means that they'll have as well? Probably, its because of other reasons. Why blame it all to marriage?

They should take marriage as the final step in being a complete adult and a responsible individual that is not only supporting himself but others as well. Take this as a chance to pass unto their children their "legacy in life".

I am an American and I don't have a woman either. It actually due to other reasons and my parents lives were good considering how they grew up. I need to go out more, learn to drive and get a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yakuza consider themselves part of the community, even though its the "red light" side. Not participating in the shinto shrine festivals is pretty unthinkable given the yakuza self-styled cultural underpinnings.
Yakuza visit shinto festivals? One question, how do you become a par tof the Yakuza community?
Old 2012-01-18, 12:34   Link #2036
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post

I am single myself, and my parents have been together for almost 25 years... and I admit, I used to think it was lonely without a woman. For years upon years, I wanted a girlfriend, and actually managed to get one... though it didn't last for all that long (five months). After a month or so, I wanted to get back into a relationship, and after a couple of failures, I decided to wait till I went out to college to see what happened. And upon going to college... well, the short version is this: my roomate was on and off with his girlfriend... when they were on, it was good times, but shit apparently hit the fan quite a bit when things were off. And after hearing him complain about the relationship when things were "off", I'm currently under the impression that it just ain't worth that kind of hassle. Not to mention I also want to get through school.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 12:39   Link #2037
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Yakuza visit shinto festivals? One question, how do you become a par tof the Yakuza community?
You just need to talk to the right people. I think they accept pretty much anyone. To get into the big leagues you probably need to make a name for yourself and/or go through some rituals.

Yakuza: Equal Opportunity Employers!

(note, the above is actually true, large numbers of Yakuza are Zainichi Koreans and Burakumin, groups that are usually discriminated against)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 14:35   Link #2038
Autumn Demon
~

Shocking narrative of a Canadian citizen's detention by immigration officials at Narita.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...ration-control

And more about festivals and yakuza:

http://shisaku.blogspot.com/2012/01/...ing-there.html

Quote:
Where there are matsuri, there are yakuza.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-18, 15:13   Link #2039
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Shocking narrative of a Canadian citizen's detention by immigration officials at Narita.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banya...ration-control
WOW, that interview at the bottom is... shocking O__O
Old 2012-01-18, 19:05   Link #2040
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
If you're Japanese ... you're part of Shinto pretty much by definition. The shrines are intrinsically part of the community so of course everyone who can participates in the festivals and visits the shrine on auspicious days and so forth. Even those that don't believe in kami tend to go "just because".

As for marriage/relationships, there are scientific advantages to being in a relationship - for example, one statistically tends to be healthier and live longer. It is (or should be) an emotional safety net, someone to be there when things are rough.

I won't say I don't want to strangle my tsundere-loli wife on occasion (and she likewise threatens me with oblivion at random) but I quite enjoy the perks enough to outweigh the annoyances. Ideally, one's time and space overlaps the spouse's time and space but *doesn't* cover it over. The healthiest relationships always seem to leave both persons a fair amount of their own personal space-time So, for example, I actually only *see* my wife a few hours a day not including bedtime. She has her own hobbies and I have mine - we share *some* hobbies.

This is pretty much what the 2d "fans" are missing. They're not actually *interacting* with *anything*. Now get back to me when we have strong AI robotics (Eve no Jikan, Chobits, etc) and I may have a different answer

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture