AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-19, 15:08   Link #21
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

If Sabo turns out to be Luffy's brother like Ace was, then he's dead. There's no way Luffy would not have mentioned him before if he was alive.

That's what I'd like to think anyway.
Old 2010-05-19, 15:39   Link #22
james0246

^Actually, the spoiler that Aohige translated indicated that the 3 became "brothers" (by sitting down and driking some sake together).
Old 2010-05-19, 16:17   Link #23
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Chapter's out. I love how Garp just shows up out of nowhere and kicks ass.
Old 2010-05-19, 16:38   Link #24
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Actually, the spoiler that Aohige translated indicated that the 3 became "brothers" (by sitting down and driking some sake together).
Right, none of them are, were, blood related, but they were still brothers. The only way this will make sense is if Sabo is dead. Luffy having a living brother and never mentioning him even once is something I will not be able to swallow.
Old 2010-05-19, 16:46   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Right, none of them are, were, blood related, but they were still brothers. The only way this will make sense is if Sabo is dead. Luffy having a living brother and never mentioning him even once is something I will not be able to swallow.
I agree. I'm pretty sure I remember Luffy saying Ace was his "only brother in the world" at some point, so Sabo being alive wouldn't make sense unless... Luffy and Ace thought of him as dead for some reason. And even if he's alive, I think we can already forget about him becoming a crew member, seeing how his dream is to be a navigator.

That was a pretty nice chapter. In reality, Sabo beat up Luffy 50 times (100% victory rate) which isn't really surprising since Luffy didn't know how to use his DF properly, what is more impressive is that he managed to win 24 out of 50 fights against Ace.
Old 2010-05-19, 16:53   Link #26
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So Sabo gave up his free will and desire to lead a life his own way to save Luffy and Ace's lives. The Goa nobles are almost as bad as the Tenryuubito, but I suppose that's to be expected of such snobs. =p

I'm interested to see what'll happen after this since we don't really have many leads on what could happen except for the Tenryuubito's appearance.

Also, I now decree Ace, Sabo and Luffy soul brothers!
Old 2010-05-19, 17:05   Link #27
marvelB

Yeah, this was definitely my favorite chapter of the flashback so far. It was great to see those three growing up together. Also, I notice that Ace said his dream was to simply be a "great pirate", which goes to show that even as a kid he didn't aspire to become Pirate King like Luffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think we can already forget about him becoming a crew member, seeing how his dream is to be a navigator.

Uh, Sabo didn't say he wanted to become a navigator. Ace asked him to become one for his crew, but all 3 boys want to be a captain. Sabo said that he simply wanted to travel the world and write a book about the sights he witnessed. If anything, that's a valid enough dream to make him a potential Straw-Hat (still depends on whether or not he'll survive the flashback in one piece, of course).....

And y'know, even if Sabo's family isn't descended from the World Nobles, they sure do share the same personality traits. Sabo's dad seems to be just as much of an asshole as Charlos' family (heck, he may even be keeping some pirate slaves of his own!). Really makes me wonder what calamity will befall the Goa kingdom upon the arrival of the true World Noble(s)......
Old 2010-05-19, 17:14   Link #28
Slayerx

Quote:
If Sabo turns out to be Luffy's brother like Ace was, then he's dead. There's no way Luffy would not have mentioned him before if he was alive.

Not so sure about that... afterall Luffy didn't mention Ace or Garp until they actually showed up in his life again... though i do have to agree that Luffy not so much as mentioning sabo is pretty poor just from a storytelling standpoint... things like this could use the subtle build up and mention
Old 2010-05-19, 17:15   Link #29
Homura7

The way Ace talked about him didn't make the sensation he died.

You never know, what if in the end Sabo resigned the brotherhood ritual?

If that's the case, then it's understandable Luffy never mentioned him because the fact he was not his brother anymore.

Being a noble from Goa Kingdom and not a Tenryuubitto makes impossible for Luffy to recognize them since both classes share traits but are not actually the same.

Now the only part that's left is when Luffy thought once that Ace died.
Old 2010-05-19, 17:25   Link #30
Somnus
Eh?

I love flashbacks (useful ones anyways). Even if only for the simple reason that Luffy's strongest special attack right now is the Gomu Gomu no Pistol (which doesn't even work, haha).
Old 2010-05-19, 17:46   Link #31
Homura7

Quote:

Ace first mentioned him before dying. Also, was Ace ever mentioned by Luffy before his first official appearance in Alabasta?

EDIT:

Say what? Sabo being Luffy's brother a plothole, my ass!
Old 2010-05-19, 18:24   Link #32
marvelB

^Hey, nice catch! But I can understand why people feel that Sabo's presence may feel contrived. Compared to Dadan, who was a character that was hinted towards since the Enies Lobby aftermath, we've only gotten Sabo's name dropped on us mere seconds before Ace's death, which was less than 10 chapters before this flashback began. However, despite Luffy never mentioning Sabo's name or having any flashbacks about him in prior storylines, nothing about the flashback contradicts any of the established info in the story so far. I'm sure a good explanation as to why we never heard anything about Luffy's second brother before now will be revealed soon enough, so we just gotta be patient until then.....
Old 2010-05-19, 18:40   Link #33
seiji_kun

I don't find anything impressive on beating someone who is 3 years younger then you when you're 10 & 7 and your opponent is an idiot who even gomu gomu no pistols in his own face, that part had me cracking up. If anything, his record against Ace with 26-24 is much more impressive then owning Luffy.

I'm glad that the things I got beef with in chapter 583 are beeing tackled, so he was there when they did drunk cups. It not being shown till now I find normal since the focus was on Luffy and Ace. The fact that he didn't show up at Ace's death which is still I think cause he's dead himself but could now be cause he's a noble whose tied to his duties. But Luffy not mentioning his other brother up to now when we met Ace is still something that I find speaks more to his disadvantage then his advantage. Ok Luffy is still Luffy and he can just be his blissful ignorant self and not have said it cause they just didn't ask but you'd imagine if Sabo was still alive that when Ace got introduced he'd say, one of my two brothers. So I'm quite pleased that Oda filled in those things but I still think the poor bugger is going to die cause he was never mentioned till now cause they didn't want to reminisce about that sad part in their past and the fact that every flashback has some major drama where one of the closest persons to the flashback person dies and this seems Luffy's flashback to fill in that part and Sabo is the only one who can fill in that role.

And at least dieing would make him an epic flashback person, it's a lot cooler then being a boring noble who's stuck in East Blue. I just can't imagine a badass noble from East Blue. And if (still a big if imo) he survived, him becoming one of Luffy's nakama seems impossible to since he wanted to be a captain of his own.
Old 2010-05-19, 19:10   Link #34
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
And if (still a big if imo) he survived, him becoming one of Luffy's nakama seems impossible to since he wanted to be a captain of his own.
Ace made the transition from being his own captain to becoming one of Whitebeard's crewmates. That being said, I wouldn't say Sabo joining Luffy's crew (as unlikely as that may seem) is impossible.
Old 2010-05-19, 19:33   Link #35
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
Say what? Sabo being Luffy's brother a plothole, my ass!
I wouldn't call it a plot hole per say... A plot hole is something that points to an inconsistency in the story or something that REALLY doesn't make sense... there isn't anything that is really inconsistent or nonsensical about Sabo thus far as their are possible explainations that make sense... such as "sabo broke off his brotherly bond" and "luffy had no actual reason to mention sabo"

However, just because it's not a plot hole doesn't mean that it's good writing... Much like how Dadan was mentioned back in enies lobby; Sabo should have been mentioned or alluded to a LONG time ago as a way to give some sutble set up for this flashback and whatever possible role sabo might have in the future... as it stands, sabo seems like a character oda may have invented just 30 chapters ago, as opposed to a character he planned out well before... not really a plot role, but possibly a work of retcon...
Old 2010-05-19, 19:40   Link #36
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Really quite liking the flashback stuff, it's being handled very well.

I don't see much of a problem with Sabo's presence just suddenly showing up, just like _kurusu_ says, it was pretty much the same thing with Ace.
Old 2010-05-19, 20:45   Link #37
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
However, just because it's not a plot hole doesn't mean that it's good writing...
Exactly.

I didn't say anything about a plot hole, but it's a development I'm not ready to accept, if he's still alive. If he's dead, then I can understand why Luffy wouldn't have said anything about him. If he's alive, Luffy should have mentioned him whenever he first talked about Ace.
Old 2010-05-19, 21:28   Link #38
seiji_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Ace made the transition from being his own captain to becoming one of Whitebeard's crewmates. That being said, I wouldn't say Sabo joining Luffy's crew (as unlikely as that may seem) is impossible.
We all know that was just due Ace's big daddy issues but yeah, I guess it is indeed not impossible but does seem improbable to me even if he's alive and I'm a huge believer of the he's 3 feet under anyway. But yeah it's always doable, Oda just have to give him some sudden brother issues with losing Ace.
Old 2010-05-19, 23:16   Link #39
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
To be pretty blunt part of the reason Sabo may not be luffy's brother may be for a more trivial reason. Ace is technically adopted by Garp, which makes him luffy's step relative.

In most societies (south, southeast asia, china) where Nuclear families were not the norm, the distinction between cousins, step brothers, and brothers are trivial. If you grow up in the same house as someone your age, that is under your family/extended family direct care they are your sibling. Often in informal language the honorofic that you'd address someone with is the same as just any sibling. Of course in Ace's case, he refused to acknowledge Luffy at all. Hence, a formal declaration makes sense. " From now on we're brothers" is acknowledging circumstances, as where they weren't acknowledged before. Under this frame work it also makes perfect sense why Sabo isn't Luffy's brother.

Also if he does leave (or die) in the next couple of chapters, that reinforces sabo not being a brother. He didn't grow up with luffy and he doesn't have the adopted relative connection luffy and ace have. They migth be friends.

I know this is the case in an abundance of South Asian, South East Asian languages, (which derive from sanskrit/prakrit) so I would not be surprised if this concept also existed in japan which only gained nuclear culture in the last 100 years.
Old 2010-05-19, 23:28   Link #40
trafalgarcito

i thought the grey terminal was going to play a more important role, but its only a regular dumpster for the gao empire?? (that would be dissapointing) doesnt hold secrets from the void century or something???

only thing i find weird is luffy's mom being happy with all this situation...why did she accept the deal in the first place? and wasnt lufy from fucsia town, now it says windmill town...can someone explain that??

thanks
Closed Thread