Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-06-09, 02:39   Link #41
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Whoa...... I'm speechless.
Either you've been hiding your true ability or have a warp ability when learning

You draw the background wonderfully. The flowers and grasses are simple yet feels real too (so do the tree shadows). For the overall atmosphere, I think the hard and soft shades and lights are just perfect.

Very impressive work!
Thanks for the glowing praise. I always wanted to draw a "complete" drawing so here it is. Girls are still my Raison d'être though.

I think when I draw I'm just like you guys where I'll be looking at lots of reference pictures while drawing at the same time so if something doesn't look right, I'd redo it until it kind of does. In the middle of drawing, I'd google images to see how hair looks when a person lies on the ground, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
Nah, I'm not exactly faster than you since it also takes me that much amount of time for more complex poses

Anyway...

I-I don't know what to say. Your last pic is simply astounding. I think what makes this stands out from your earlier works is the background. You can easily see the amount of effort putting in here. Having the tree shadow over the ground truly adds to the atmosphere. Not to mention the flowers feel real.

Now if I see this right, there's a tinge of blue and red in the light that makes it looks like rainbow light. Definitely great work here.

And, Miku is cute
Thanks for the complement. The reason I don't usually draw background is because it takes way longer than the girl, and I being me, I'm usually happy to just finish drawing the girl. (By the way, thanks for noticing that Miku is cute)

I'm happy to note that drawing tree shadows is much easier than drawing an actual tree. And yes, I wanted to keep away from strictly white while doing the glows and the light streaks. The blue and red gives the light a "lens-flare"y look.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:41   Link #42
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Shoko and Saki. (Click picture to enlarge)

/
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2013-07-02 at 06:50. Reason: Version 2.
Old 2013-07-01, 20:00   Link #43
Seitsuki
Onee!

Beautiful colouring as always, almost publish worthy I'd say. Minor points-

Saki's finger seems dislocated.
Her right arm looks like it's almost detachable. Forearm also seems slightly long from that perspective.
Her legs don't seem to line up with her body...

Shoko's mouth could use a little resizing/repositioning.
Old 2013-07-02, 06:14   Link #44
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Wonderful coloring as always, winhlp32.
One thing that I noticed in this picture (or maybe you already did it for a long time and I just noticed now ) is that you seem to be trying to mix some different colors for the shading. I see some of reddish / orange shades on their uniform, bluish on Shouko's hair and skirt, and greenish shades on Saki's boots. Nice touch IMO, kinda reminds me of Kishida Mel's coloring style.
Old 2013-07-02, 07:21   Link #45
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Beautiful colouring as always, almost publish worthy I'd say. Minor points-

Saki's finger seems dislocated.
Her right arm looks like it's almost detachable. Forearm also seems slightly long from that perspective.
Her legs don't seem to line up with her body...

Shoko's mouth could use a little resizing/repositioning.
Thank you for the input. I needed that.

I seriously need to do something about hands and limbs in general, its not even funny anymore. Fortunately it's holiday period where I am.

I also quickly repositioned Shoko's mouth. That was a silly mistake. Hopefully it's better now.

Once again thanks for commenting.

Quote:
Wonderful coloring as always, winhlp32.
One thing that I noticed in this picture (or maybe you already did it for a long time and I just noticed now ) is that you seem to be trying to mix some different colors for the shading. I see some of reddish / orange shades on their uniform, bluish on Shouko's hair and skirt, and greenish shades on Saki's boots. Nice touch IMO, kinda reminds me of Kishida Mel's coloring style.
Glad you like it! Yeah I want to try to mix some different colors to get a sort of watercolor look. Unfortunately its not coming out how I want it to at all yet. Will do further research. Thanks for commenting as always!
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-07-02, 10:50   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Shoko and Saki. (Click picture to enlarge)

Lovely pic. I love your Shoko. I agree with Seitsuki on your Saki (unless you intended for Saki to be giving the Vulcan hand symbol ). However, with Shoko, I think the issue is more with the nose than the mouth. If you line the nose dot up with the mouth it should look fine.

The eyes for Shoko and Saki could also use a bit more... brightness, maybe? Eye color seems a bit overly subdued here, given how that's one of the first things I notice for Valvrave characters, Shoko especially.

On the whole, very nice work that can be made truly fantastic with just a bit of tweaking.
Old 2013-07-02, 11:38   Link #47
Assort Dis

Well, most of what I want to say had already been mentioned by the others here

The biggest problems I can see are Shoko's face and Saki's left hand. Shoko's neck and chin position seems weird considering the perspective you were going for. And honestly, I can't tell whether Saki is showing her left forehand or backhand...

And great coloring as always. That is definitely your greatest strength. Overall, beautiful work and I really like the way you drew Saki's hair accessory with how it's fluttering in the air along with her hair
Old 2013-07-02, 21:23   Link #48
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
So we can request any artwork?
Old 2013-07-03, 05:54   Link #49
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Lovely pic. I love your Shoko. I agree with Seitsuki on your Saki (unless you intended for Saki to be giving the Vulcan hand symbol ). However, with Shoko, I think the issue is more with the nose than the mouth. If you line the nose dot up with the mouth it should look fine.

The eyes for Shoko and Saki could also use a bit more... brightness, maybe? Eye color seems a bit overly subdued here, given how that's one of the first things I notice for Valvrave characters, Shoko especially.

On the whole, very nice work that can be made truly fantastic with just a bit of tweaking.
Thank you very much! Comments like yours make me want to strive to do even better.

I was actually debating whether to have Saki give a Vulcan salute (to complete the three "V"s) or to have just a more natural hand pose. Looks like I couldn't decide in the end.

I'll take note with the eyes. I really like Shoko's green eyes in the anime. It looks like it'd glow in the dark. If I do draw more Shoko (maybe if she wins the Haruto) I'd make sure she has "glow in the dark" eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
Well, most of what I want to say had already been mentioned by the others here

The biggest problems I can see are Shoko's face and Saki's left hand. Shoko's neck and chin position seems weird considering the perspective you were going for. And honestly, I can't tell whether Saki is showing her left forehand or backhand...

And great coloring as always. That is definitely your greatest strength. Overall, beautiful work and I really like the way you drew Saki's hair accessory with how it's fluttering in the air along with her hair
It really looks like from the shape of the chin Shoko should be completely facing the viewer, but the face features suggests otherwise. Saki's left hands I kind of gave up on halfway through drawing the thing. I kept staring into the screen thinking "Hand! Why won't you look right?". I really still have a long way to go...

I forgot that Saki had the hair accessory until I was nearly done with the drawing, and quickly added it in, whew! Thanks for commenting as always. Your input is always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
So we can request any artwork?
My apologies. I do not do requests. Thank you for dropping by.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-07-06, 10:20   Link #50
SummeryDreams

I can draw as well, but I don’t know how to use photoshop..Could anyone please teach me basics about photoshop? Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 01:07   Link #51
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I can draw as well, but I don’t know how to use photoshop..Could anyone please teach me basics about photoshop? Any help will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!
I had sent you a PM. If there is anything else (that I could help with), do ask.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoyed a nice school break recently in which I thought was able to draw more...and I realized it still takes me over 16 hours to complete a single person. I don't know how people like Efe, Swordsouls or Matsuryu do it. Anyways...

Gokou Ruri

Gou (I still wonder if this looks anything like her )

Kotori and Honoka
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-07-24, 09:52   Link #52
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Enjoyed a nice school break recently in which I thought was able to draw more...and I realized it still takes me over 16 hours to complete a single person. I don't know how people like Efe, Swordsouls or Matsuryu do it. Anyways...
Now that's what you call being productive
<<--Also on 2-months break, and I wish I could generate a mood to draw again

I see that the color transition in your shading has become smoother. Also love that little trace of face skin color around their bangs. You also did a good job with Kuroneko's hair. It flows naturally IMO.

Some things I can point out:
- Kuroneko's tail and cat ears should be made much smoother IMO. They look too pointy and the lines are dead straight (the cat ears)

- As for Kou... I think she looks like her just fine. Her design in the anime features much larger body and longer face, and this is just your style. I also think her hair could use some more volume, especially for the ponytail. And what are those swirls around her jacket? if it is a decoration, I think you can make it more distinct either by the positioning or by using different color. I find it a bit "merged" with her jacket

- For Kotori and Honoka, I think it's only the effect lines that might need an improvement.

As for general proportions, perspectives etc... I won't comment much since I think you're well aware about them and we as artists know quite well about our faults. Besides, IMO it's something that progresses naturally over time.

All in all, great job as always. Looking forward for more!
Old 2013-07-24, 11:09   Link #53
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

That Kotori and Honoka image is really well done .

While I like the one kuroneko too, the cat ears do feel a bit too pointy.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 11:24   Link #54
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I agree with Konakaga. The Kotori and Honoka one is just adorable.
Old 2013-07-25, 03:59   Link #55
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Your Honoka/Kotori pic is simply wonderful, and does a nice job of referencing an actual scene from the Love Live! anime. I agree with Ryonea that maybe the effect lines could use a bit more "Oomph!" there, but otherwise, fantastic work!

Your Kuroneko is excellent. Her facial features and cat-ears might be a touch too sharp, likely benefiting from a rounder and softer appearance. Nonetheless, this is impressively on-model.

When I saw your Gou, the first anime character I thought of was Tamayura's Kaoru Hanawa. Gou's face and upper body are a bit longer than what they are here, although in fairness the upper body issue might be due to the pose and viewer perspective for this shot. In any event, the face could use a bit more length. Now, I should say that the drawing itself is very nice in a vacuum (i.e. without considering how on-model it is). One thing I particularly like about this picture is the lively facial expression. It captures a certain excitement and tension, especially in the eyes.

If I was to assign numerical grades to each of these works...

Honoka & Kotori - 9.5/10

Kuroneko - 9/10

Gou - 8.8/10

So altogether superb work.

On the whole, this is a highly impressive trio of works.
Old 2013-07-25, 05:14   Link #56
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
-snip-
Thanks so much for all the commentary. I know how long these things take to write.

On Kuroneko: I feel like I overdid it in this drawing with all the colors and use of soft brushes. Too much and it would start to look like those OEL-manga style drawings.
The skin color/bang was something I've been trying doing for a while but could never get it to appear more noticeable. I find it works better when the hair color is a cool color.
On the cat-ears: Yeah I don't know what I was thinking using a ruler for that instead of just drawing it freely. The tail was also surprisingly difficult to get right.

On Gou: Mmm...as someone who got into this business drawing girls from K-On!, its challenging for me to draw women/girls with mature bodies. This is probably the most anatomically stuffed-up thing I've drawn in a while.
I...don't know what the decoration stuff actually is. I haven't even been looking at that much Redjuice stuff recently!

On Kotori/Honoka: I wanted to show that Kotori was stiff with those lines. I probably should've flipped through some manga first.

Thanks for looking through and commenting on everything! I'm very grateful. Also the promise to color something of yours still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
That Kotori and Honoka image is really well done .

While I like the one kuroneko too, the cat ears do feel a bit too pointy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I agree with Konakaga. The Kotori and Honoka one is just adorable.
Thanks you guys for visiting this thread, and for the complements! (Will take note of the cat-ears) In retrospect I really loved that scene with Kotori and Honoka at the airport in the final episode. Sure it was the cheesiest thing ever, and I was thinking after the episode, "I wonder how much that plane ticket cost...", but I still had this huge grin on my face watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
-snip-
I really enjoyed drawing the Kotori/Honoka picture. Girls being together is a wonderful thing. Really looking forward to the second season of Love Live!

On Kuroneko, yeah cat-ears aside, her chin seems to be a bit pointy upon reinspection. Will take note.

Regarding Gou, the character that came to mind for me while drawing this was Nanami from Sakurasou. I definitely need more practice with mature looking bodies. Gou's pupils are also smaller than what I'm used to.

Thank you very much for the comments and the high scores! These are some "masterpiece anime like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Baccano"-tier numbers you're giving out here.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-07-25, 05:34   Link #57
Seitsuki
Onee!

Gou's face is...I swear I wouldn't be able to distinguish that from an official level illustration. I can think of no higher praise.

You seem to have an issue with hands? Although to be fair they're probably something every single artist struggles with so I'm sure you already know perfectly well. One thing to watch out for is the size, I also tend to make them a bit on the small side and it looks fine until you zoom out to the bigger picture.

Kotori/Honoka, maybe tone down the movement lines a little?...for some reason it looks like her hair is falling out

Just minor stuff for Ruri, like her elbows seem awfully sharp for being pressed into the mattress(?) and her boobs are too big her neck is a bit long.

All in all, dammit how are you getting so good so fast q_q
Old 2013-07-25, 10:24   Link #58
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the commentary. I know how long these things take to write.

On Kuroneko: I feel like I overdid it in this drawing with all the colors and use of soft brushes. Too much and it would start to look like those OEL-manga style drawings.
The skin color/bang was something I've been trying doing for a while but could never get it to appear more noticeable. I find it works better when the hair color is a cool color.
On the cat-ears: Yeah I don't know what I was thinking using a ruler for that instead of just drawing it freely. The tail was also surprisingly difficult to get right.

On Gou: Mmm...as someone who got into this business drawing girls from K-On!, its challenging for me to draw women/girls with mature bodies. This is probably the most anatomically stuffed-up thing I've drawn in a while.
I...don't know what the decoration stuff actually is. I haven't even been looking at that much Redjuice stuff recently!

On Kotori/Honoka: I wanted to show that Kotori was stiff with those lines. I probably should've flipped through some manga first.

Thanks for looking through and commenting on everything! I'm very grateful. Also the promise to color something of yours still stands.
Not really, because my comments tend to be long before I realize it

What's an OEL manga? I've never heard of it. I see... a dark color makes sense since it contrasts with skin color. After I look again at Chuunibyou episodes (that's where I first find this kind face/bang coloring), it seems that it works like you said. The shades feel much more apparent on Rikka and Kumin's hair, while Yuuta and Shinka's are subtle. And almost not visible for Dekomori IMO. In your pics, I think you did them right. While they're subtle, I still can see them on Kou's and Kotori's hair

As for the tail, I can see that's difficult indeed. How to give a feel a 3-dimensional feel to it. I'm thinking a horizontal-oriented position.

Nah, don't worry about the mature body of Free! (I don't really like the artstyle anyway) I think the essence of fanarts nowadays isn't about getting as close as possible with the original material, but how to draw them with our style while keeping the aura of the character. <-- very difficult indeed.
I went back and see some Free! episodes. I thought the key for Kou's face is her slanted eyes. Going inward, after passing through the pupils, the upper eyelid lines takes a deep "dive" down. But this isn't really the case as her eyes often not seemed like that (depending on her expressions). Smaller pupils might work too. Oh, redjuice stuffs... I see

I see... it looks like Kotori is about to fall to me. but if I were in your place, I also don't really know how to make proper manga lines, though

You're welcome. It's always nice to see a progress. Also, thanks for the offer. I do hope I can draw something soon to fill this long break, but the mood is just difficult to generate
Old 2013-07-26, 02:57   Link #59
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Gou's face is...I swear I wouldn't be able to distinguish that from an official level illustration. I can think of no higher praise.

You seem to have an issue with hands? Although to be fair they're probably something every single artist struggles with so I'm sure you already know perfectly well. One thing to watch out for is the size, I also tend to make them a bit on the small side and it looks fine until you zoom out to the bigger picture.

Kotori/Honoka, maybe tone down the movement lines a little?...for some reason it looks like her hair is falling out

Just minor stuff for Ruri, like her elbows seem awfully sharp for being pressed into the mattress(?) and her boobs are too big her neck is a bit long.

All in all, dammit how are you getting so good so fast q_q
- The praise for Gou's face really is a high praise. Thank you!
- I will take note with the size of the hands. I've been more obsessed with the form of the hand, so I tend to neglect how big it is relative to the rest of the arm.
- For Kotori/Honoka, I will start by making the movement lines a different color next time, and take other appropriate measures to have it not look like hair.
- The sharp elbow came from drawing the girl first then the mattress and not realizing the need to edit the elbows. Noted.

As for getting better... I draw everyday, and spend lots of time studying illustrations I like. So finding the time is a key I guess?

Thanks for commenting!

Quote:
Not really, because my comments tend to be long before I realize it

What's an OEL manga? I've never heard of it. I see... a dark color makes sense since it contrasts with skin color. After I look again at Chuunibyou episodes (that's where I first find this kind face/bang coloring), it seems that it works like you said. The shades feel much more apparent on Rikka and Kumin's hair, while Yuuta and Shinka's are subtle. And almost not visible for Dekomori IMO. In your pics, I think you did them right. While they're subtle, I still can see them on Kou's and Kotori's hair

As for the tail, I can see that's difficult indeed. How to give a feel a 3-dimensional feel to it. I'm thinking a horizontal-oriented position.

Nah, don't worry about the mature body of Free! (I don't really like the artstyle anyway) I think the essence of fanarts nowadays isn't about getting as close as possible with the original material, but how to draw them with our style while keeping the aura of the character. <-- very difficult indeed.
I went back and see some Free! episodes. I thought the key for Kou's face is her slanted eyes. Going inward, after passing through the pupils, the upper eyelid lines takes a deep "dive" down. But this isn't really the case as her eyes often not seemed like that (depending on her expressions). Smaller pupils might work too. Oh, redjuice stuffs... I see

I see... it looks like Kotori is about to fall to me. but if I were in your place, I also don't really know how to make proper manga lines, though

You're welcome. It's always nice to see a progress. Also, thanks for the offer. I do hope I can draw something soon to fill this long break, but the mood is just difficult to generate

OEL manga
are basically graphic novels made generally outside Japan, and drawn in a style inspired by Japanese manga. An famous example would be Megatokyo. There are a lot of these kinds of drawings submitted onto Deviantart.

I really should draw something Chuunibyou related some day, and while I don't really like Free's character design in promo-pictures, I find them quite appealing in motion in the anime. Thanks for the lowdown on Gou's eyes.

I would browse though the usual anime picture websites and see something I like and think to myself, "I really want to draw something like that". It'll be great if you can gather the motivation to draw something.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-07-27, 05:09   Link #60
Assort Dis

Late to the party again

On Kotori, I think to clearly shows she was frozen, you should add another line in parallel to the others. Well, this can easily taken care of by browsing through some manga pages. Also, the Kotori's ear looks a bit weird with how it's a little further away from the face.

Oh I see you are trying to learn from redjuice with those sharp objects in Gou's pic. I thought they were rulers at first similar to an official art of Senjougahara

It seems you are getting better and better at drawing hands as apparent in the Kotori and Honoka pic

Personally, I don't see any problem with Ruri's tail. But if you want it to look more 3-dimensional, I think it's better to make the tail's end to head towards the viewer.

Overall, nice job on this combo in one post