AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2013-09-13, 09:58   Link #10601
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
the blobfish would pass for a Pokemon though........
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 10:39   Link #10602
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
the blobfish would pass for a Pokemon though........
This one?
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 12:31   Link #10603
Bri

Flight 666 to HEL on friday the 13th . Hope the passengers aren't superstitious.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...flight-666-hel
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 22:02   Link #10604
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ig Nobel awards honor weird, funny discoveries
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-12-21-06-29
I wasn't sure if this thread or the ''Science and technology'' thread was the most appropriate for this one.
Old 2013-09-16, 08:11   Link #10605
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

COMMENT: Our right to a space in the ‘political arena’

Quote:
If you want to get things done in Singapore, you need to know which side your bread is buttered and play the game accordingly. Don’t push too hard, don’t make too much trouble and maybe you will get what you want.

That’s what The Straits Times’ journalist Leonard Lim appears to be saying in his article ‘The way forward for State and civil society’ [paywall]. Exhorting the government’s “greater willingness” to listen to its people, he happily regurgitates the establishment’s stance on politics in Singapore: that individuals and groups need to be put in their place for “straying into the political arena” and that “political activism” should only be restricted to “party politics”.

Lim’s failure to cast a critical eye over these two claims achieves nothing more than highlighting his own ignorance of politics, activism and democracy.

The ‘political arena’

Singaporeans have long been conditioned to think of politics as 'someone else’s business'. We’re told that it’s something we don’t need to worry about; we can just leave it up to people who are smarter, better and more qualified than us to take care of it.

And it’s so easy to do, too; who has time to ponder politics when the stress of living in a fast-paced and expensive country like Singapore is piling higher and higher with every passing day?

Unfortunately for us Singaporeans, the truth is not so simple. Politics is not just a game for elites to play. It is something that affects us in every aspect of our lives. It affects what our children are taught in schools, the conditions in which we work and the way in which we live out our years of retirement. It also affects the way we deal with diversity in society, the way we treat marginalised groups and the way we protect our green spaces (or not).

All these things are affected by state policies, which is why the establishment’s stance is wrong. The ‘political arena’ should not be the sacred stomping ground of political parties. The ‘political arena’ should, and must, be the domain of all citizens, all the time.

Party politics

Similarly, the claim that politics in Singapore should just be about party politics is misguided. While an important and integral part of politics and governance in any democratic country, party politics is only one aspect of the system. Restricting ourselves to just this one aspect limits our ability to build a vibrant society with a diversity of views.

The recent news of Vincent Wijeysingha leaving the Singapore Democratic Party can be seen as a prime example of this. In an interview with The Independent, he said, “If I remained in party politics, I would focus on mainstream issues, i.e. those at the political middle ground. This could result in sidelining of marginal concerns such as those faced by the gay community…”

While political parties should have the moral courage to take on “marginal concerns”, the fact remains that they are constantly playing for the favour of the electorate. Parties play up issues they believe will get them the most votes, often at the expense of other less “mainstream” issues. We’ve seen how the 2011 General Election was dominated by talk of bread-and-butter issues, with nary a moment’s consideration for other important topics like civil liberties and equality. If we were to really keep the ‘political arena’ strictly to party politics, issues like migrant workers’ rights, LGBT rights and the death penalty may never see the light of day.

This is why NGOs and advocacy groups are crucial to every democratic society. Activists may operate outside of the party system, but play a vital role in making sure that every “national conversation” is robust and comprehensive. The fact that we may not agree with everything they say does not mean that their presence is unnecessary.

These activists and groups exist to raise awareness and mobilise citizen involvement in the making of decisions that affect state policy and social norms. They do not exist as window-dressing for us to boast of inclusivity and public engagement. They do not exist to make things easy for the establishment, or to help the government “save face”. To pontificate to activists about the need to “play their cards right” and not be so confrontational is to completely miss the point.

The way forward for the State and civil society is not for us to perpetuate the idea of citizens as petitioners, reaching out for the goodwill and magnanimity of the government. It is not in the State deigning to listen while civil society scrapes and wheedles its way into the minister’s good graces. And it is certainly not in telling activists to quieten down.

The way forward for the State and civil society is in empowering the citizenry, making them see that they own their voice. It is in showing that ‘citizen engagement’ is more than official national dialogues and grassroots activities like picking up trash at East Coast Park. It is in realising that the ‘political arena’ does not just belong to the governing elite, but to each and every one of us.
Why do people get accepted into Masters' courses when they fail to realise that the political arena is meant to be treated as a joke?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 13:14   Link #10606
Shyni

Creepy clown stalking around at Northampton
Quote:
A spooky clown has been scaring Northampton residents in full costume and make up.

He is red haired and white faced and has appeared in several locations in the Abington and Kingsley areas.

A Facebook page has now been set up for the clown called Spot Northampton's Clown which has already achieved over 3,000 likes since it went live yesterday.

The clown has proved a sensation on social media and has its own Twitter hashtag #northamptonclown.

According to reports it has knocked on someone's door and offered to paint their sills despite having no painting equipment.
Seems the fella's building up to a "big surprise".

Creepy. Or maybe he's just screwing with people and nothing's gonna actually happen.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 19:28   Link #10607
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Man denies sex with sheep:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/18/it-wor...round-4048164/
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 23:21   Link #10608
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

French lawmakers ban child beauty contests

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130918/fren...eauty-contests

I don't really mind this...
Old 2013-09-18, 23:59   Link #10609
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

TIL what Honey Boo Boo is thanks to this news.

The horror, the horror.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 00:43   Link #10610
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Good Morning America News: Eight-Foot Crocodile Found under bed.

And you thought checking under the bed before you sleep was for children...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 00:43   Link #10611
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
TIL what Honey Boo Boo is thanks to this news.

The horror, the horror.
She is one of the very many reasons why I'm glad I do not have a TV.

Endless "Boob tube" Soul
Old 2013-09-19, 05:12   Link #10612
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russian shot in quarrel over Kant's philosophy
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-16-09-12-35

Cheer up, Grumpy Cat: You have an endorsement deal
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-17-16-04-55
Old 2013-09-19, 08:29   Link #10613
JokerD

Swedish court rules it IS legal to masturbate in public (if it's not directed at anyone specific)

Err... OK...
On the flipside, it might be ruling that it is illegal to masturbate to someone...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 08:55   Link #10614
Ridwan

^Well that is just self-parody =))
Old 2013-09-19, 09:48   Link #10615
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Cheer up, Grumpy Cat: You have an endorsement deal
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-17-16-04-55
Grumpy Cat(Real name: Tardar Sauce): "I don't care."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Swedish court rules it IS legal to masturbate in public (if it's not directed at anyone specific)

Err... OK...
On the flipside, it might be ruling that it is illegal to masturbate to someone...
If i was facing to someone who is..."playing himself/herself", does that mean that person broke the rules?
Old 2013-09-19, 12:39   Link #10616
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Why would you want to jerk off in public in the first place? And how would you prove it's not aimed at anyone if someone were to see it and take offense by it?

Besides, I think most countries would label an act like this as 'indecency', and prohibit it as well.
Old 2013-09-19, 12:55   Link #10617
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Why would you want to jerk off in public in the first place? And how would you prove it's not aimed at anyone if someone were to see it and take offense by it?

Besides, I think most countries would label an act like this as 'indecency', and prohibit it as well.
Wait. What? Why would you think i would do that!?
I was asking if i saw a person doing the indecent act and said person saw me back, would that mean he/she broke the rule that those who do indecent act must not direct it at anyone?
Old 2013-09-19, 13:08   Link #10618
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I dislike swimsuit portion of the contest. Like duh, they're not fully develop yet.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 13:55   Link #10619
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Err... OK...
I figured "at someone" meant like... aiming at them. That or it's basically to prevent multiple people basically doing freaky exhibitionist/voyeur play in public.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 01:19   Link #10620
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Wait. What? Why would you think i would do that!?
I didn't say anything about you, I was talking about people in general.

Tags
humor