AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 17:19   Link #2601
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Did the Saki/Nodocchi pillow come with the DVDs? Were there others or what?
It came with the Limited Edition of the R2 Volume 2. However, not all of the volumes have limited editions. Right now, I think the only ones solicited with an LE are Volume 1, 2, and 7. Volume 7 LE will also have a body pillow, but the character/design hasn't been announced yet. Volume 1 LE had lots of other non-dakimakura stuff.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 14:54   Link #2602
Suuankou

In a couple of months the manga should be caught up to where the anime had left off. I really want to see more of the umbrella ojou-sama~. I ordered the Nodoka dakimakura two days ago, now to just wait for the K-ON! dakimakura that I ordered from KyoAni and my summer will be complete. >W<
Suuankou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 19:31   Link #2603
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

That's if the manga actually keeps a regular release schedule. The mangaka seems to take more breaks than Akamatsu Ken, and that's an understatement.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 20:29   Link #2604
Farplaner

Just watched the picture drama in DVD vol. 4. It's about Miharun (from Kazekoshi)'s back story. It's actually a nice story!

And there's nothing ecchi about this one (compared to the other one, lol), sorry
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 00:00   Link #2605
xKeen

Hi,I'm here just to ask a few questions.
Does this anime revolve around mahjong every single episode? I dropped it when it was released because of the low quality releases.Just needed more details about this.
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 00:24   Link #2606
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Hi,I'm here just to ask a few questions.
Does this anime revolve around mahjong every single episode? I dropped it when it was released because of the low quality releases.Just needed more details about this.
Uh, yes. Mahjong, Moe, and Girls blushing at other girls. That is the essence of Saki.

There are a couple of episodes without any mahjong. Like, 3.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 00:27   Link #2607
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Uh, yes. Mahjong, Moe, and Girls blushing at other girls. That is the essence of Saki.
I could not have put it in a better way.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 00:32   Link #2608
xKeen

Ah,thanks for the reply.I don't really know anything about mahjong D: ...
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 04:35   Link #2609
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
its ok you don't need to know mahjong to enjoy it anyway
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 04:50   Link #2610
klare

the mahjong i play is different than the one in the show but i still enjoy the "essence of Saki" a lot
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 05:08   Link #2611
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I think a lot of people are in the same boat. I myself didn't know much about Mahjong before watching this show (my relatives play with a Chinese ruleset and I've played a very simple version). Scoring in particular is where I'm totally clueless. And before Saki I've never even heard of Riichi Mahjong. Most of my knowledge has come from watching this show.

One can get enough enjoyment from this show just by watching the reactions and interplay of the other characters to the action. The in-show commentary is enough to let you know that the characters are doing something special. You don't really need to know why it's special. Heck, the hands that Saki had in the first 2 episodes weren't special. To be honest, the important thing is when she went to get the extra tile, the budget for the animation went way up.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:58   Link #2612
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Has anyone seen the new images floating around on danbooru? I can't decide if it speaks more to Hisa's ridiculous ability to get captains to fall in love with her or Yumi's ability to attract semes.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:47   Link #2613
Sol Falling

I saw what I presume were the beginning hints of them when I went there a couple days ago...to be honest, I'm a bit put off by it. Both Hisa and Yumi were already settled in some pretty firm relationships--to see fans so easily jump ships like that just makes them seem kinda fickle.

I am actually not particularly into Yumi x Momo. lol and actually, even Saki x Nodoka began to get a little grating in the last episode (the way those 4koma on danbooru portray Saki x Nodoka is damned hilarious though, btw; actually, Saki in general is incredibly awesome in there). But as I've expressed before, Hisa x Mihoko really is my favourite thing about the anime, so I was just glad there was a lot of great stuff involving them on danbooru as well.

Ah--though with regards to your dilemma. :P Personally, I'd say it speaks more to Hisa's awesomeness. Hisa tops everything, it's just that simple.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 13:14   Link #2614
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Well... they look cute together though. I think artists just like to draw cute people together. Heh.

As for Hisa's ability vs. Yumi's, makes sense to me! Hisa is darn tooting awesome after all.

And yes, the 4komas in general are pretty awesome. There are some nice Mihoko x Hisa and Yumi and Momoko strips.
Old 2009-10-08, 20:45   Link #2615
night_sentinel

Hello guys ... I'm currently planning on making an fanfic RPG of Saki where all the school clubs are guilds and they will compete to be the best guild of their country. Currently the plot has already been worked out... I'm just having problems with the characters and their profession. You know if I should make them a swordsman/mage/archer/priest/etc.

If possible could you give suggestions?
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 22:41   Link #2616
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Hello guys ... I'm currently planning on making an fanfic RPG of Saki where all the school clubs are guilds and they will compete to be the best guild of their country. Currently the plot has already been worked out... I'm just having problems with the characters and their profession. You know if I should make them a swordsman/mage/archer/priest/etc.

If possible could you give suggestions?
Nodoka, Touka, and maybe Yumi if you want are pretty easy. Just go with their ridiculous costumes and make them Valkyrie or something similar. Saki I can picture as a shy white mage, who has a random ability to make Lily flowers bloom or whatever the hell Rinshou Kaishou means again. If there is such a class, Hisa is a gambler. If not, whatever class has the high risk thing the best. Mako can be mission control/the smart one who analyzes the situation and decides on a course of action.
Momo is a thief/rogue. Easily. Mihoko is a seer/monk/whatever that can see short-term into the future or something. Kana is a werecat. Hajime is an oni, and Koromo is a vampire (see touhou comparisons some pages back). The others can just be generic classes.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:52   Link #2617
scr
my sides are in orbit

Haha, let's go with RPG character archetypes then.
Defender = the one who tanks. She stands on the front-line so the big scary monsters don't have their way with the people behind her.
Striker = the one who hits hard, i.e. with ultra-damaging magic attack or critically striking blades or arrows. Can overlap with Defender.
Leader = the one with skill to make her allies do better, or her foes do worse. From clerics who heal to warlocks who curse, there are all sort of Leaders.
Controller = the one who deal with many foes at once, thus turning the tide of war in her favor. Can overlap with Leader (i.e. in the case of warlocks, can curse multiple enemies).

Let's see how each school fits a particular role:

* Kiyosumi = Striker, Striker, Striker. Hisa's Hell Waits deal humongous damage. Saki's Rinshan Kaihou is reliable and do great damage. Yuuki ridiculously makes string of critical damages in East Round. Nodoka and Mako are Defender though, as they play steadily in traditional style.

* Kazekoshi = Defender, Defender, Defender. Their style of play is too rigid (think of them as GDI/USA of CnC). Theoretically that's good because that makes for safe course. But combat is a chaotic place with all sort of probabilities. And with people like Koromo and Saki, theories are defenestrated. Kyaputein though, gears more toward Leader (no pun intended), and a little bit toward Controller due to her Mystic Eye of Flow Perception.

* Tsuruga = wackies. Momo is a Controller with her Shadow ability (warlock's blind curse). Yumi is a highly adaptive Defender with a shade of Striker. Kaorin is a Striker due to her unbelievable luck. The others are wallflowers.

* Ryuumonbuchi = colorful cast... Touka is a Defender who rely on her great expertise in Mahjong to make her stand(s out). Hajime is a total cheat when she wants to, that makes her a Striker. Ikemen is a Controller who affects the flow of tiles greatly. Koromo is a very Lovecraftian Controller that impose her eldritch will into the strands of fate. Furthermore, since her Haitei Raoyue (translates to something like "Black Tentacles of The Depth") is reliable, so she's also a powerful Striker.

Generally, to be successful in Mahjong you have to have some degree of Controller in you. Being a Leader can help too-- sometimes you want other player to win for various reason (i.e. in the case of Kyaputein helping Yuuki to prevent premature victory for Ryuumonbuchi).

Other classifiable individuals/teams:

* Kazue: She's basically the same as Yuuki (Striker), although she must wait until south rounds.
* Teru: One hell of a Striker... her Nine Gates is unstoppable. Yuuki is going to be really dead.
* The Miko School (Eisui All-Girl High School): Controllers. Their sacred magic seriously hamper their opponents. (Especially the one who control evil spirits.)
* The School with Yukari Yakumo and Chen In It: "Yukari" herself seems to be a Leader, she sings(!) to buff herself.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:47   Link #2618
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

For the people who play mahjong over Tenhou: we are trying to organize some Animesuki sessions right now. If anyone is interested head over the mahjong thread in the games board.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 00:31   Link #2619
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

After watching Vol 4 picture drama, does Ikeda have to be PWNED in every possible media?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 03:55   Link #2620
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
* The Miko School (Eisui All-Girl High School): Controllers. Their sacred magic seriously hamper their opponents. (Especially the one who control evil spirits.)
Where did you heard their school's name?
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen