AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-11, 22:18   Link #1001
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Great second episode, definitely reminds me of an MMO. We've now seen 2 guard skills of Angel, distortion and delay. I wonder how many she has. Angel certainly reminds me of an elite MMO boss.
Three. Don't forget "Hand Sonic".
Old 2010-04-11, 23:09   Link #1002
bigdeath

The reason Yuri might not want to be reincarnated is that she doesn't want to lose her memories of her sibling who she loved dearly. Not to mention she clearly wants revenge for the injustice of her life.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 23:35   Link #1003
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
the amount of posts is amazing, i foresee a subforum for this

need wallpapers of the angel
Tenshi

1920x1080

1920x1200

I might as well add the others.

Yuri

1920x1080

Yusa

1920x1080

No Shiina yet D:
Old 2010-04-12, 00:28   Link #1004
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
ok, after watching ep 2, I am over 75 percent sure that Yui is one of Yuri's siblings (that died) and will be instrumental for pushing or reducing the rebellion. (and more character development for Yuri)
I don't think Yui is Yuri's sister. In the flashback scene that girl has a really small body while Yui (in the official art and in episode 1) looks notably older. Of course, we have to assume Yuri said the truth about nobody aging in the afterlife.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 01:10   Link #1005
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
I might as well add the others.

Yuri

1920x1080
Re-sized, and stolen for sig, hope you don't mind xD. I can change it back, on the off chance you do though.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 01:32   Link #1006
Jze0
Hmmm...

Still need more episodes to evaluate but for this particular episode it was very fun. Watching everyone died and no one really caring what becomes of them because they can't die was amusing to watch. Yuri's past was shown but I'm still curious how exact she died. Also... really liked the opening, very nice and nostalgic.

Ps Tenshi is still cool.
Old 2010-04-12, 01:38   Link #1007
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Still reminding me of Wings of Rean or Heavy Metal L-Gaim in terms of storytelling, but somehow episode 2 managed to be a marked improvement in just about every other category. Once again they seem to love blowing a lot of resources on animating musical scenes like in the opening, but this time around I could actually see the high quality animation people were talking about last week in the episode for myself. Maybe it's the new PC on steroids I picked up today I don't know, but it definitely looks a lot better than last week.

Still I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly is going on in the afterlife world because it's all so surreal and undefined at this point. Yuri plots a strategy, it's briefly discussed and then put in action. Then random crazy shit starts happening in an attack on the "guild" (????) and equally random slapstick stuff starts resulting in "casualties". Yet there's an aura of seriousness to some (but not all of it) just the same.

Yuri's self doubt after the "casualties" definitely made her branch away from Haruhi-like permanently, which is refreshing and definitely provides for her potential to be less one dimensional than that character. However what followed it with the reflections on her actual life was pure Maeda pathos right from the get go which was a little odd considering what just preceded it, but not completely out of place either.

In any case I found the comedy MUCH better overall this time for some reason so I'm pretty satisfied for now. If they just get the whole plot and what the hell is going on sorted out we'll be golden.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 01:56   Link #1008
Kudryavka

Yuri≠Haruhi.

It was a good laugh back when that first promo pic of Yuri popped up, and the 'shopped version helped too. But that's past. The only similarity between Yuri and Haruhi is being The Leader. I don't think that's enough ground to say that Yuri is "Haruhi-like".
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 02:19   Link #1009
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, it's good that Yuri has shown herself to not be another Haruhi.

Thoughts:
I can't help but think that the ridiculously casual attitude towards death is a bit of a self-parody to how Key tends to handle death.

If this is someone's dream, I'm gonna go break something.

Tk needs to have a insert rap song.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 02:31   Link #1010
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think they're all in a comatized state and hooked up on life support.

This afterlife they are experiencing is a virtual reality program to keep their minds active
I was thinking this too. They'd probably wake up if they played along.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 02:36   Link #1011
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I agree that this episode gave her some good development. Having gone through that I can understand why she is doing this.
At first I thought this meant that you could relate to Yuri because you've had younger siblings killed by a gang of robbers. Glad I just misread that.

Too bad this is just another 13 episode series, not that I'm surprised since apparently that's all that fucking exists these days. I was kind of lukewarm towards the first episode, but the second's won me over.

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2010-04-12 at 02:47.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 03:01   Link #1012
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Yuri≠Haruhi.

It was a good laugh back when that first promo pic of Yuri popped up, and the 'shopped version helped too. But that's past. The only similarity between Yuri and Haruhi is being The Leader. I don't think that's enough ground to say that Yuri is "Haruhi-like".
Yeah I even had a small laugh at similarity when first hearing about the series and seeing Yuri's promo pic. But really two episodes in it's pretty clear that they are completely different. I don't think Haruhi has taken a monopoly on female leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
At first I thought this meant that you could relate to Yuri because you've had younger siblings killed by a gang of robbers. Glad I just misread that.

Too bad this is just another 13 episode series, not that I'm surprised since apparently that's all that fucking exists these days. I was kind of lukewarm towards the first episode, but the second's won me over.
Nope my siblings are still hanging in there. We're not well off enough to be targets of anything other than mistaken identity . Though being an older sibling the story was a pretty ugly one to think about. This does prove that it's good to have clear sentences.
Old 2010-04-12, 03:03   Link #1013
Marina2

Tenshi used only [guard skill] in first two ep. It will be great if we get to see some of her [attack skill] in the future ep.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 03:24   Link #1014
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Tenshi used only [guard skill] in first two ep. It will be great if we get to see some of her [attack skill] in the future ep.
maybe she (i assume is a female) can use something like Mikuru Beam

Moonie-sensei, your work made tears flowing from my eye... thx
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 03:33   Link #1015
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Spoiler for speculation:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-04-12 at 06:42. Reason: dangerous info removed.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 06:42   Link #1016
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Please do not start comparing or even hinting similarities with other stories more or less related to any of Maeda's scenario (or unrelated stories, even).
Not only it isn't exactly on topic, but it can also indirectly spoil people regarding the latter, as not everyone could read them (or watch them, in case of the few anime adapted ones).
Old 2010-04-12, 06:58   Link #1017
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Well i suspect Tenshi is learning and adapting to the tactics S3 are using. As shown in episode 2 she adapts to how much force is being directed towards her. In episode 2 she dual "hand sonics" and only activated "distortion" after Yuri shot in her leg. Then after Yuri moves in for close quarters combat she switches to "delay" but only because Yuri initiated close quarters combat. Tenshi is adaptive but also reactive but will also find ways to weaken S3's resistance hence her attack on Guild. I think the more force that used against her the more powerful her guard skill gets and i thin if she feels she is seriously threatened she would switch from being reactive to active and start using more offensive tactics.

what i also find interesting is that Tenshi bleeds.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2010-04-12 at 07:15.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 07:52   Link #1018
Skane
Anime Snark

I dunno about you guys... but until they start showing Tenshi drowning puppies or kicking kittens, I'm kinda pitying her for being the target of so much aggression. That look on her face when she sees her own blood really tugs at the heartstrings.

Hmm...
Old 2010-04-12, 07:54   Link #1019
Tsuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
what i also find interesting is that Tenshi bleeds.
Hm? Why does that bother you exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I dunno about you guys... but until they start showing Tenshi drowning puppies or kicking kittens, I'm kinda pitying her for being the target of so much aggression. That look on her face when she sees her own blood really tugs at the heartstrings.

Hmm...
The fact that she takes violent action, but doesn't seem to be precisely vicious (just efficient) helps, yeah.

Last edited by Tsuchi; 2010-04-12 at 07:55. Reason: Added another quote
Tsuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 07:57   Link #1020
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
Hm? Why does that bother you exactly?
I agree with this being weird... but it could be an indication that she was once human, which would be an interesting line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
The fact that she takes violent action, but doesn't seem to be precisely vicious (just efficient) helps, yeah.
She's very sympathetic as a character, even though we know precisely one thing about her beyond her abilities: she's the Student Council President. That's about it. First two episodes were about establishing Yuri and the SSS. I wonder when we'll start to learn more about their adversary.

Tags
key