AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 49
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 5 6.58%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 6 7.89%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 5 6.58%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 13.16%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 15.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 9 11.84%
4 out of 10: Poor... 8 10.53%
3 out of 10: Bad... 4 5.26%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 6 7.89%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-24, 15:42   Link #121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Just want to straight some things .

Which still doesn’t justifiy how they can beat a horde of Gafrans, the tougher Baqtos, and the faster Zedas plus Vagan’s battleship is easily make a run-for-it.

When did I ever say that I only watched Destiny? And how can you easily assume it? I’ve seen a lot of mecha shows from Voltus until the recent Unicorn. Still, the fight between Impulse and Freedom in SEED Destiny is still one of the best mecha fights, just to mention one. (and yes, I did watch the still on-going Total Eclipse).
Yep one good fight amidst a sea of stock footage I will agree that one stands out, but for the wrong reasons. By comparison AGE feels like it has a good fight pretty much every time there's a major battle of the arc as do most Gundam shows. Still not seeing where this argument of yours has much ground to stand on.

As for the Ambat battle, I'm pretty sure they actually didn't beat all those Vagan units. In fact I seem to recall Don Voyage dying and Ract almost dying were it not for Flit stopping him from making a pointless self sacrifice (where was someone to do that for Fram?). The rest of the Zalam/Euba alliance was pretty much wiped out to give the Diva crew time to invade Ambat and kill it's commander thus ending the battle in a Federation victory with heavy losses.

Also I hate having to explain this, but it was a hypothetical point I was making not an assertion of what you watched. The point I was making is that if one were to only watch Destiny they'd probably think that the standard for combat choreography in the Gundam franchise was abysmal and cheap.

Quote:
I already find more than 25 of my friends (on facebook) having the same issue as me regarding AGE’s BGM. They all said it’s forgettable. Also, I didn’t say “I can’t remember a single song from AGE”. I did remember and enjoy the 1st OP, the 1st ED, and 2nd Ed like I already mentioned in my previous post.
Do your friends by any chance spend a lot of time rageposting about the episodes on Facebook and never really liked the show in the first place. That could have something to do with it. Also bringing what your friends like into the argument isn't going to do much for convincing me here seeing as it comes down to a matter of taste and I say pretty much all Gundam series have great soundtrack and AGE is no different. Right now I can name Aban, Flit no Nichijou, Nazo no Tekai, Aratana Tabidachi, and Chikai as stand out tracks on the first OST volume for AGE alone. Maybe it comes down to taste in music who knows.

Quote:
Excuse me, I did say this:
Right?
Yes both shows have characters making some questionable decisions in the final hours, though in AGE it feels like it was done for plot convenience at the expense of internal logic whereas for Destiny who the hell knows the reasons. Not saying it makes the issues in AGE any better though so much as it's clear why they happened and why it makes the writing simplistic.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 15:52   Link #122
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed the show from beginning to end Sure, the show has it's flaws, but overall I enjoyed it greatly. It was the first Gundam show I watched while it was running and it was quite a ride. I'm sad that the show gets so much hate, but the show entertained me and that's what counts for me. I will re-watch the show every now and then.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 15:56   Link #123
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 View Post
I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed the show from beginning to end Sure, the show has it's flaws, but overall I enjoyed it greatly. It was the first Gundam show I watched while it was running and it was quite a ride. I'm sad that the show gets so much hate, but the show entertained me and that's what counts for me. I will re-watch the show every now and then.
And here I thought I was the only one to enjoy it beginning to end.
Old 2012-09-24, 15:59   Link #124
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And here I thought I was the only one to enjoy it beginning to end.
Good, I'm not alone, that's a relieve^^
Old 2012-09-24, 16:11   Link #125
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Actually overall I enjoyed it fairly well from beginning to end, but there were some ups and downs and flaws of course the same as many shows and I don't think it lives up to the high standards set by Gundam shows of the past or even those of it's predecessor 00. I keep thinking that if this show didn't have Gundam in the title it would have been received as a decent sci-fi/mecha show but putting Gundam in the title now has more negative connotations than positive since it attaches to it the bitchy as hell Gundam fanbase and pretty much impossible expectations to live up to. I recall Tomino saying as much in an interview about his new project G-Reko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
Tomino said that the "G-Reko" name was chosen in part because "the 'Gundam' name was a total nuisance when trying to develop a new kind of robot story." He noted that the "G" in the title was revealed earlier as standing for "gravity."
Old 2012-09-24, 16:12   Link #126
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Well, I did enjoy it, but I can't say its perfect

And I am not going to lie, this show had problems I just cannot get over. But overall, its a solid show in many respects.

And it had a pretty good use of 19th century Japanese fashion for the Vagans. I can dig it

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:25   Link #127
Se7en Sabers

I enjoyed it too despite its flaws but then again, who doesn't have any ?

Curious to see what is coming next :-)
Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 16:46   Link #128
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Good to see some people that did enjoy it The show is definitely far from perfect, the only show that comes close to being perfect (for me at least) is 00, but I would still give AGE a 9/10 overall. The show for me really grew on me when Asemu's arc started. When the 3 protagonists were first made public, I was looking forward to him the most. To be honest, if it wasn't for Asemu, I probably wouldn't like the show as much as I do now. If there would had been only Flit's and Asemu's arc, the show could had been much better received. 2 generations a 25 episodes might had worked better. Kio's arc started good, but after he got the FX, he was just "there". I didn't really care for him, because he was overshadowed by Flit and moreso by Asemu.

The main flaw of AGE is, that it was just too ambitious. It tried to please everyone, but only pleased a minority in end, sadly.
Old 2012-09-24, 17:47   Link #129
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Oh no, you guys aren't the only ones who enjoyed AGE, hell just go back and check some of the stuff I wrote about past episodes to see that at one point I was pretty much head over heals for this anime. It's just that there were some things I simply didn't like at all during it's run and that by the end the flaws simply outweighed the positives when it came to my assessment of the show and my general enjoyment of it.

The thing is, when the Overall thread comes, I'll be making clear what I liked vs disliked about the anime as a whole, but for the time being my posts in this thread were mostly about the final episode and why I felt it was lacking with a little focus on some of the problem areas the show had. This wasn't a complete disaster even if it ended in a rather bad way, in fact I think that AGE still had some of the better starters out of the entire franchise. All the three times it started and re-started were pretty exciting I thought for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And poor Flit. He cannot forget Yurin even after so many decades.
More like poor Emily. That entire scene had some pretty unfortunate implications to the two's marriage, especially with her never being present for the majority of the show.
Old 2012-09-24, 17:54   Link #130
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
More like poor Emily. That entire scene had some pretty unfortunate implications to the two's marriage, especially with her never being present for the majority of the show.
You can say the same about Asemu's wife and the grandson's potential girlfriend (did I mention they almost all look the same and even act the same?). Ok ok, Asemu's wife had more life in her than the rest, but this is the one complain I have about the show. Interesting women with an actual backstory ALL have a deathflag floating on their heads and eventually die, while the hero end up with the person-who-just-needs-to-be-there-for-convenience's-sake.

What does this show have against cool women? Seriously.

Though personally I think Emily is aware of whats going on with Flit, but she chose to accept it. Gotta give her props.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 18:21   Link #131
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
You can say the same about Asemu's wife and the grandson's potential girlfriend (did I mention they almost all look the same and even act the same?). Ok ok, Asemu's wife had more life in her than the rest, but this is the one complain I have about the show. Interesting women with an actual backstory ALL have a deathflag floating on their heads and eventually die, while the hero end up with the person-who-just-needs-to-be-there-for-convenience's-sake.

Though personally I think Emily is aware of whats going on with Flit, but she chose to accept it. Gotta give her props.

- Tak
I find it funny that Romary didn't get more screen time considering how ridiculously popular her VA is in Japan and abroad even. They could have maybe used her to rehook some of the otaku audience almost singlehandedly if they wanted to most likely, but I guess the priority ultimately was on the kids demographic.

As for the cooler women in the show...well maybe there's a spot for Fram in my G Generation Overworld list where she can be done a little more justice than with Zeheart the Failure as her commander...that is if Gen 3 is included.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:24   Link #132
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

- Tak
Yeah it wasn't a strong series for women. Well at least not for ones that managed to stay alive...At least Asemu's arc was pretty solid. Romary wasn't just the one who stayed alive, but the one Asemu liked in the first place. Plus really the only women who died in that one were in the Magicians 8 and all of them died regardless of gender .

Though I have to say the whole Emily thing did kind of suck. I know she's not dead, but couldn't she join the group during his x-rounder rounder moment ? Well in the end all you can do is assume since the only time we saw them post gen 1 was at that family dinner, that's it.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:29   Link #133
Dr. Casey

Flit does love Emily; he says as much in the Drama CD. Though the scene does come across as borderline emotional cheating with a girl he hasn't seen in 50 years just the same.

I have mixed opinions on AGE, though they're mostly positive ones. I think the show fell short of its potential; it could have been absolutely amazing, but in my view it's just 'pretty good' (though I'm not one of those who thinks it went downhill in the last quarter). This final episode, though, I think made for a very powerful finale, both for the story as well as for Flit's character. I might give more detailed thoughts once the overall impressions thread rolls around.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 18:54   Link #134
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
You can say the same about Asemu's wife and the grandson's potential girlfriend (did I mention they almost all look the same and even act the same?).
That's because they all ended up becoming or were always lacking in any sort of unique characteristics outside of loyal fangirl/cheerleader to the main protagonists. The thing is though while we sort of had Asem and Kio at least talk with their significant other, Flit sort of just ... ignores Emily all the way from the mid point of Gen 1 to the end of the show. The only moment where we see him give her even the smallest acknowledgement was after Asem turns out to be alive and he wonders if he should inform her. And now with this episode and Yurin showing up and after a 5 minute talk he just listens to her and everything is A-okay with him ...

Quote:
Ok ok, Asemu's wife had more life in her than the rest, but this is the one complain I have about the show. Interesting women with an actual backstory ALL have a deathflag floating on their heads and eventually die, while the hero end up with the person-who-just-needs-to-be-there-for-convenience's-sake.
I agree that the most interesting women in this show ended up meeting unfortunate ends, but what can you do when the universe the show is set in seems to be built with the idea of ''Give birth or DIE!!!''? As for Romary having more life in her, I honestly never seen it with the most frequent words she ever said were ''Asem'' and ''Zeheart''. Her just sort of fawning after learning about Asem leaving her and her son to be a pirate sort of put a nail in that coffin.

Quote:
There was that one seen in Madorna's workshop back in Gen 1 when Emily and Ms. Madorna were talking to each other, and she told Emily (to paraphrase) that a woman's role is to let the man she loves do what ever he wants and for her to merely build her dreams and ambitions around that man's dreams.

I think that is the thing that made the cool women in this show never get a chance to shine, cause they never had any men to be able to build their own dreams of off.

Quote:
Um ... that doesn't really speak well of her does it? I mean Flit was progressively getting worse and worse with his behavior, to the point where he became a genocidal old man. It would be one thing if he was a hard line military leader who wanted to punish the Vagans for the crimes they committed and Emily agrees with him, but the idea that she's into the whole 'kill everyone in Second Moon'' does not in any way put her in a positive light.

I mean that either means that she really did nothing to improve his behavior during this past half century (while a small talk with Yurin could apparently do it ...) or she helped feed the hatred he had and let it fester to the point where he became the sort of mad man we seen for the majority of Gen 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I find it funny that Romary didn't get more screen time considering how ridiculously popular her VA is in Japan and abroad even. They could have maybe used her to rehook some of the otaku audience almost singlehandedly if they wanted to most likely, but I guess the priority ultimately was on the kids demographic.
Easily the blandest role HanaKana ever played. And to think this was her first ''major'' role in a Gundam series.

The show had an A-list cast in terms of VA, and when given the chance (Hiroshi Kamiya as Zeheart was just phenomenal, Toshiyuki Toyonaga and Kazuhiko Inoue as Flit were also pretty good overall etc.) and yet it had underutilized in such a way none of them really got a chance to show off their skill. shame really ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
couldn't she join the group during his x-rounder rounder moment ? Well in the end all you can do is assume since the only time we saw them post gen 1 was at that family dinner, that's it.
She's only his wife, Flit needed the woman he loved to show up to tell him to stop hating.
Old 2012-09-24, 18:58   Link #135
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Even though this ending was not good, it's nowhere near as bad as Destiny. At least in AGE they got the closure to Flit's story right, he let go of all his hatred and became the true savior he was meant to be. Destiny got nothing right.

Aside from Zeheart and Fram, no one in AGE did anything completely out of character in the finale. You could argue about Flit, but we all knew he was never going to carry out on his threats. He came across as a genocidal bastard for a good chunk of the series, but deep down he was always going to be redeemed. In destiny you had a bunch of characters doing stupid things out of nowhere. Rey shoots his best friend/father figure because "Kira wants a future"...Talia decides she'd die with Durandal even though she has a fucking son waiting for her at home...Shinn tries to kill Luna out of rage...

00's finale was much, much better IMO. In fact 00 vs Reborns was pure mecha porn and I loved every minute of that episode, very well executed.

Few of the things that pissed me off in this episode:

1) SID - why did it show up and combine with Zera Gins? Isn't it programmed to protect EXA-DB?

2) Vagan Gear Sid vs Age-fx - really awful battle, nothing else to say.

3) Ezelcant getting a happy ending- this was seriously messed up. Guy drags out a war for 70 years even though he never "wanted to fight a war". He takes children like Decil and gives them all this power and in turn, either intentionally or unintentionally creates monsters. He kills thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of both Earthers and Vagans for some pseudo-Destiny plan, and he gets to die peacefully in his bed with his hot 100 year old wife by his side to mourn him. Probably died a hero too for all we know. Zeheart died a pitiful death at the hands of his only friend, with noone to mourn him because he had killed his potential love interest before, all because of Ezelcant...
Old 2012-09-24, 19:20   Link #136
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
counr me in also, i liked the story pregession throught he 70 or so years the conflict covered. there were times where things rushed too much but i still enjoyed the series alot.

im surprised that Kio finally got Flit in the end to look past his personal oppinions. they closed the series up pretty well in the last ep given they went gung-ho to kill off too many too fast. though it definetely wasnt the worst there was. would've loved if more more prominent Vagans survived but it wasnt the case.

bit surprised Shidoh came back but it seems the exa-db's legacy was put to good use after the hostilities ended.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 19:23   Link #137
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sabers View Post
So, AGE is a disappointment here in the West (if I can say) but is it the same thing in Japan ?
It seems they really didn't like it. Sales of DVD and BD are a failure (if you consider it is Gundam we're talking about then it is an epic failure).
Korps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 19:27   Link #138
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
I'm not going to lie the show was fine and had lots of potential.

In fact G1 was probably the best out of it.

It was the part where they got to Kio's arc that things just seemed to fall apart (IE. introducing characters that served no purpose)

Another thing is that the battles always felt so empty for some reason.

But the one thing I hated the most was as others have stated is that the woman were just treated so badly.

I mean they were either character motivators (who died right away) or baby factories...I mean seriously? I can't ignore that.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 20:13   Link #139
Vsin
Aldracity

My general opinion can be summed up as: AGE had plenty of great ideas, and pretty bad execution.

IMO, the show only really went into its downward spiral once Zeheart got Legilis. Very little is what I'd consider "optimal", but for the most part the plot felt somewhat logical and continuous, albeit really rushed. Even the ending at least made sense in the context of the story. However, whereas the older developments were rushed, the ending was rushed so badly that it came across as more of a logic gap than a lack of development time...at the very least, I'm sure that they could've squeezed in an extra episode, which really would've helped the ending.

Actually, I feel that if they had only tried harder, AGE could've been amazing. My favourite character of the series is...wait for it...Obright. IMO, he's the guy who best exemplifies how to execute an "AGE" story. Certainly, his AGE-2 developments were rather cliche (apart from the reverse death flag) but the way he was portrayed in AGE-3 and AGE-FX just felt..."crisp". The scene where he gives Kio a mop to clean the hangar just feels really well executed because of how powerful the symbol of Remi's old cleaning tools is. And when Obright died in EP 48, the sense of desperation in protecting his home, and then resigning himself to death because by implication he'd have lost absolutely everything... It's not a super-complicated way of doing things, but it just shows that there is a way to make AGE-ing work.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 20:36   Link #140
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
3) Ezelcant getting a happy ending- this was seriously messed up. Guy drags out a war for 70 years even though he never "wanted to fight a war". He takes children like Decil and gives them all this power and in turn, either intentionally or unintentionally creates monsters. He kills thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of both Earthers and Vagans for some pseudo-Destiny plan, and he gets to die peacefully in his bed with his hot 100 year old wife by his side to mourn him. Probably died a hero too for all we know. Zeheart died a pitiful death at the hands of his only friend, with noone to mourn him because he had killed his potential love interest before, all because of Ezelcant...
Yeah honestly fuck Ezelcant. So many decent people died just so he could have his mad power fantasy quest and he was clearly a terrible leader throughout the shows run since he drug out this war for 70 years all for the purpose of trying to create what in his eyes was a place "where all people can be human" and thought the best idea to do so was to massacre their civilians and "test them", which still makes no real sense and can only be chalked up to really shoddy writing or him being completely bonkers to the point where it does make sense to him at least. It seems to me the only reason he even thought his plan worked in the end is because of his not son Kio being there to play the role of the compassionate person towards his souless not son clone. I still choose to see that scene as just the rambling last words of a dying dictator who is very very fortunate to see what he could never hope to accomplish due to his eroding sanity (I guess he was different before he came into contact with EXA-DB much like Zeheart) demonstrated by his not son Kio. The fact that he passed on his legacy of failure to Zeheart who passed it on to his subordinates though is probably his greatest failing. He seemed surprised when he heard Zeheart died, but I mean why would he be when he surely knew he'd always been setting the man along the path to failure. Overall his character ends up making the least sense to me out of anybody since I can at least see how Zeheart got to the point he did now and is probably the single greatest weakness of the whole show.

The reason I don't have a huge problem with him dying in bed though is because he was clearly dying anyway and either they put him to death for his crimes thus speeding up his demise by what may just be hours or they just let him die on his own and be rid of the man once and for all.

Tags
weekly episode discussion