Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-26, 19:57   Link #21
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maes Hughes View Post
[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]What I don't get is why I see this even on HQ DVD-rips, not just TV-rips. Would the compression problem you speak of still exist then?
Whether TV source of DVD source, they're both being compressed just the same. So to answer your question, yes.

Why do DVD rips tend to look worlds better than TV source fansubs? There are two reasons. The first is that the DVD image is arguably clearer than the TV signal. The second is a little less obvious. In the fansubbing process, someone captures the video sigal into a video file. They're compressing it when they do this. When we fansubbers get hold of the video, assuming it's a hardsubbed fansub, the video must be encoded once again to encode the subtitles into the video (thus making the subtitles part of the video). Encoding a video twice is like saving a JPG twice: the quality degrades. With a DVD source, usually the fansubbers have the DVD ISO themselves. That is, not only are they working with a superior source, but they don't even need to re-encode an encoded video: they just use the DVD ISO (essentially a virtual version of the DVD) and encode the subtitles to the video while encoding the video to a format we would use. One simple step, and it makes a difference in quality.

Even DVD rips involving re-encoding an encoded video may see benefits above TV-source, but it certainly wouldn't be as pronounced as what I mentioned above. Of course, good and bad encoders can make it hard to tell which situation occurred.

Quote:
Getting my new monitor. I had to upgrade my graphics card drivers from the basic ones to be able to make the 1440x900 version available. I recall having lots of bizarre problems, such as new and unusable resolutions (1120x1600, 3200x2500...) appearing constantly on my settings...

I can't say for certain if this problem has been here from the start. My old 17" 4:3 CRT is so dark you can't see much of anything on dark scenes, so it's hard to see the problem on it unless you look for it. My bright and faulty 4th HW191D LCD monitor is a different story.
I think someone already called it, but I think your problem is getting adjusted to the monitor. LCDs are much, much sharper than CRTs in picture quality, so encoding defects will be much more noticable. You don't need to worry about spotting encoding issues on your 32" TV because a TV's resolution is 640x480; maybe 800x600 at best (this doesn't include HD-TVs). You'd need a huge TV to spot the encoding defects; by contrast, it's easier to see it on a 17" LCD with a much higher resolution (and a larger LCD makes it even easier). It's all about clarity.

Quote:
All the HW191D's seem to develop a bluish backlight fault along the bottom in under 24 hours of use, plus some like to add onto this by developing backlight faults in the corners and other areas.
I'm using a HU171D; different model, I know, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. It's been in use for about three months. Compared with my original 4-year old LCD (using them in a dual monitor setup), it's much brighter and the colors are much, much better - especially the black levels. The technology's improved a lot. Anyway, HannsG has received mixed reviews - you may just be unlucky, or it may be worth it to spend a bit extra and go for something else as Phantom-Takaya mentioned.

My final verdict is that it's really nothing to do with your graphics card, and it's just a matter of adjusting to the monitor (and accepting the limits of a fansub). If you really want to test, try this: play a DVD through that monitor, and see if you still see the blocks. (Some blocks may still be visible, but there should not be anywhere near the amount you see with fansubs.)
Old 2007-04-26, 20:04   Link #22
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Send a message via MSN to Maes Hughes
^ Didn't see your post, was busy reinstalling stuff. I'll read it after rebooting.

----

My monitor is one of the most highly rated 19" monitors (Hanns. G HW191D). You won't find many negative reviews if you look on Amazon.co.uk/com, making this all the more annoying for me.

"It has the quality of a £400-500 monitor for £140!"
"I now don't use my Toshiba 32WLT68 and instead use my HW191D for my Xbox 360."

On topic: I just tried uninstalling my graphic card drivers/codecs - The problem is visible still. There's nothing else left I can test other than my card...

Now, let's just make sure I have this 100% correct before I do any damage:

- Remove card from PC...
- Plug VGA cable into onboard card...
- I will not see the usual "NO SIGNAL" message when turning monitor on...

I'm worried about the possibility of seenig the "NO SIGNAL" message and my Radeon card not working when I put it back in.. I really don't want to look like an idiot in my local PC repair shop yet again.

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-04-26 at 20:20.
Maes Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 20:59   Link #23
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Sorry, didn't want to merge two different posts together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I think someone already called it, but I think your problem is getting adjusted to the monitor. LCDs are much, much sharper than CRTs in picture quality, so encoding defects will be much more noticable. You don't need to worry about spotting encoding issues on your 32" TV because a TV's resolution is 640x480; maybe 800x600 at best (this doesn't include HD-TVs). You'd need a huge TV to spot the encoding defects; by contrast, it's easier to see it on a 17" LCD with a much higher resolution (and a larger LCD makes it even easier). It's all about clarity.
I was talking about a 32" LCD. I'm going to get one soon, I can't keep waiting forever... I've been finding it hard to make the move after experiencing serious backlight bleed on every LCD HW191D I've tried.

The only reason this problem isn't as visible on my 17" CRT (using it atm) is because of how dark it is. This problem shows up on dark scenes, and it's incredibly hard to see much of anything on my old monitor during dark scenes. The problem does look just as bad as on my LCD monitor now I'm looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I'm using a HU171D; different model, I know, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. It's been in use for about three months. Compared with my original 4-year old LCD (using them in a dual monitor setup), it's much brighter and the colors are much, much better - especially the black levels. The technology's improved a lot. Anyway, HannsG has received mixed reviews - you may just be unlucky, or it may be worth it to spend a bit extra and go for something else as Phantom-Takaya mentioned.
Have my 4th replacement coming tomorrow. I'm going to go through every faulty monitor they have to offer before spending money on a new monitor, someone had to be stupid enough to return one with the backlight only slightly uneven...

The problem with Hanns. G is their policy on replacements. They replace faulty monitors with other un-repaired monitors, the only thing they guarantee being that the replacement monitor won't be damaged on the outside. Terrible company.

I wish I hadn't been an idiot and not got refunded when I had the chance during the first month, I hoped the backlight would get better since it arrived looking perfect. At least I learned about LCD faults after wasting my money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
My final verdict is that it's really nothing to do with your graphics card, and it's just a matter of adjusting to the monitor (and accepting the limits of a fansub). If you really want to test, try this: play a DVD through that monitor, and see if you still see the blocks. (Some blocks may still be visible, but there should not be anywhere near the amount you see with fansubs.)
I'm hoping it's nothing. I can't do anything if it's more serious than my graphic card, that's why I want to somehow prove to myself it's nothing to do with my card. It's going to keep annoying me if I don't convince myself it's impossible for me to fix.

I'll watch one of my Samurai X DVD on my replacement monitor tomorrow...that's assumng it doesn't blow up when I first turn it on. I'm pretty sure there's some lovely dark scenes in it, perfect for this.
Old 2007-04-26, 22:28   Link #24
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You can't delete posts, you just edit your post to request deletion. When a mod comes around, they'll see it and delete it. They don't want us reporting our posts for that anymore, so it's partially up to luck.

So, to the mods: please delete this message (mine) (and you already deleted the one above it that I was referring to, but... you missed mine!)

Last edited by Ledgem; 2007-04-28 at 19:13.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 22:51   Link #25
firestarter
Banned

The best AGP you could get would be this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130274
the best value is this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125039

Both are good cards, the 7800 could stave off an eventual MUST have upgrade, since it SHOULD work for even vista. However I'd suggest that you spend your money on the 7600 and save what's left to buy a new pc when AMD and ATI drop their h-bomb on intel and nvidia.
firestarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 01:24   Link #26
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

I didn't get around to watch Samurai X, couldn't be bothered when Id just be focusing on 2 dead pixels and the backlight bleed.

However, I did remember something and just confirm it: The "movement" problem shows on my Ghost in the Shell DVD when played on my PC. It shows at the exact same level as it does when watching files on my PC.

I suppose it would be silly to remove my graphics card without any real idea about what the actual problem is, chances are I'd somehow manage to fuck up somehow. I'd take my PC to a repair shop and explain if I didn't expect to get lied to and ripped off.

----

Here's 3 more quick snapshots from episode 1 of RxJ:

Again, the problem is hard to show without movement....

1st pic: Hair of blond girl + wall to left
2nd pic: Cloak + everywhere
3rd pic: His face

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-04-29 at 03:38. Reason: Edited for clarification...
Old 2007-04-29, 02:58   Link #27
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I looked at all three images and I don't see a spot of dead pixel(s) or backlight bleed. I honestly think it's your LCD monitor since LCD monitors suffer from pixel and backlight problems all the time. The clues seem to point at the LCD monitor as the culprit. Best way to find out is to remove the graphics card and go off the onboard video like I've said before. If the problems go away, it's the graphics card, which is a very rare event. If it persists, try connecting the monitor to another computer to see if the problems move over to the other computer. If that's the case, it's the monitor.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 03:00   Link #28
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Tried a degaussing filter (an anti-magnetic metal ring thing) on the monitor cable? (though this would need some strong source of magnetic fields... like a coil from a powerfull speaker to disturb image quality)
Old 2007-04-29, 03:21   Link #29
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

@Jinto:

I haven't tried using a degaussing tool on my VGA and/or DVI cable. Can't see it being magnetic interference.

...I suppose it can't hurt to try. Where would you find these anti-magnetic rings? Goggle isn't being my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
I looked at all three images and I don't see a spot of dead pixel(s) or backlight bleed. I honestly think it's your LCD monitor since LCD monitors suffer from pixel and backlight problems all the time. The clues seem to point at the LCD monitor as the culprit. Best way to find out is to remove the graphics card and go off the onboard video like I've said before. If the problems go away, it's the graphics card, which is a very rare event. If it persists, try connecting the monitor to another computer to see if the problems move over to the other computer. If that's the case, it's the monitor.
I think you misunderstood...I didn't post those images to show backlight bleed and dead/very stuck pixels. Trust me when I say the bottom of the screen has a nasty bluish light (as ever with HW191's) and I have two very visible red dots near the middle of the screen.

Backlight bleed doesn't show on snapshots you take with VLC, I found that out on my original Hanns. G monitor. Dead pixels/very stuck obviously don't either since they're both incredibly easy to spot on dark stuff. Going on those points, it's pretty safe to assume monitor faults don't show up on VLC snapshots.

Anyway, I'm interested in trying to use my onboard graphics, but I'm worried about the fact there doesn't seem a way to reactivate it in my ancient bios menu. What exactly did I need to do...surely it won't just turn turn on when I remove my Radeon card? I don't know what drivers it needs or anything.

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-04-29 at 04:00.
Old 2007-04-29, 14:43   Link #30
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
It will switch over automatically. If, in the rarest of occassion, your screen goes blank when Windows starts, just restart your computer and go on safe mode to manually switch it over.

Though, I still think it's your monitor.
Old 2007-04-29, 16:15   Link #31
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]@Jinto:

I haven't tried using a degaussing tool on my VGA and/or DVI cable. Can't see it being magnetic interference.

...I suppose it can't hurt to try. Where would you find these anti-magnetic rings? Goggle isn't being my friend.
I don't think one can buy this seperately. On my monitor cable this thing is near to the connector of the PC.
Old 2007-04-29, 22:33   Link #32
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Could RAM be the cause? My 256MB card seems only be doing 128 MB.

Not sure exactly how much free RAM left I have out of 512MB, but going on task manager it looks like just over 130MB. Not sure if it's a good idea to try changing my card from 128MB to 256MB in BIOS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
It will switch over automatically. If, in the rarest of occassion, your screen goes blank when Windows starts, just restart your computer and go on safe mode to manually switch it over.

Though, I still think it's your monitor.
It isn't a monitor issue, I'm 100% sure about that. Like I said before, I can clearly see the problem on my 17" CRT now my bright and colourful LCD monitor has highlighted it.

I'll have a go at doing it tomorrow when my PC has been off all night. You'll know something has gone wrong if you don't see my report.

But, err, what do you mean by "manually switch over"? Only ever used safe mode for virus scans and the like. My integrated graphics card doesn't show in device manager under display adapters, and there's no option in BIOS I can see to enable/disable it.

----

Edit: Something bugging me is how my card information shows the the following:

^ Does this mean the card is in a PCI slot? :|

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-04-29 at 22:54.
Old 2007-04-30, 00:12   Link #33
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Your bios will have no problem recognizing the switch. It's Windows that may have the problem of realising that the graphics card has been removed. When that happens, you simply tell Windows to switch to the right driver for the onboard video in safe mode.

Also, RAM wouldn't affect video playback. Unless the video's having the computer do major 3D rendering, the video playback shouldn't even reach the 128MB maximum.
Old 2007-04-30, 04:33   Link #34
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Just finished reconnecting my Radeon card - The exact same "movement" problem happens when using the onboard graphics. Not sure if I'm happy or sad after checking, even I could replace the graphic card with another one...can't say the same about exchanging any other parts. >_<

Here's a checklist of what's been cleared:

Monitor - Problem shows on two different monitors (17" CRT and 19" LCD)
Graphics Card - Problem shows up when using the onboard graphics.
Files - Problem shows up exactly the same on DVDs.
Drivers - ATI and Omega drivers tested.
Codecs: CCCP and K-Lite tested.
Cables: VGA and DVI tested.

I'm out of ideas. The only other thing I can think of is bad RAM, the reason being simply that I had my current RAM installed together with my Radeon card.
Old 2007-04-30, 04:55   Link #35
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Bad Ram would have more severe consequences like your PC crashing all the time...

Maybe it is related to other sources of electro magnetic waves... Do you have strong antennas/cell-phone and similar stuff near by, or maybe a bad grounding of the PC case?
Old 2007-04-30, 05:13   Link #36
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Bad Ram would have more severe consequences like your PC crashing all the time...

Maybe it is related to other sources of electro magnetic waves... Do you have strong antennas/cell-phone and similar stuff near by, or maybe a bad grounding of the PC case?
Does explorer.exe and other programs crashing when shutting down, hanging when saving settings during shutdown and slowness when programs are loading after startup count as severe?

Everything electrical near my PC is as follows:

Logitech 2.1 speakers
Iomega External HDD
Modem
Printer
Extra plug socket adapters
Alarm clock
DVD Player
32" (crappy) Sanyo CRT
PS1, PS2, US PS2, GC

...that's it. :|

To answer your other question, my PC is sitting on my solid wooden desk.

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-04-30 at 05:25. Reason: plug socket
Old 2007-04-30, 05:30   Link #37
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Does explorer.exe and other programs crashing when shutting down, hanging when saving settings during shutdown and slowness when programs are loading after startup count as severe?
Afaik thats not typical for bad RAM, sounds more like damaged Windows files (or maybe a damaged hdd at worst). Maybe ther is some bad Windows file that messes with overlay video and stuff (need not be codec and/or driver related).

btw. the grounding stuff was meant like... is the case properly grounded/earthed like in having the zero/ground cable attached from the PSU. This cable -at least on modern PSUs- is connected to the mainboard (using this big plug), and when the mainboard is connected to the casing with steal screws, this usually grounds the casing too (if only plastic placeholders are used... well this can affect a proper grounding).
Old 2007-04-30, 05:37   Link #38
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Does explorer.exe and other programs crashing when shutting down, hanging when saving settings during shutdown and slowness when programs are loading after startup count as severe?
Gotta love Windows acting up on ya.

That's no bad RAM. Bad RAM means your life would be hell.

And as Jinto says, Windows may be causing trouble with codec files. How old a Winodows installation are you using? Maybe it's time to reinstall it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 06:54   Link #39
KNETTER2000
Rei! What have you done!

Do lighter or very light scenes have the same "artifacts" on screen or is it limited to darker scenes..
Old 2007-04-30, 07:35   Link #40
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Getting WinXP reinstalled could be both problematic and expensive - I didn't get a WinXP disc with my computer when my mother got it for me. Do they still cost around £100 to buy these days?

I've had various problems over the years, 2 of which resulted in me visiting PC repair shops and paying them to reinstall it. I know for a fact the last time I had it reinstalled (last August) it was a pirated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNETTER2000 View Post
Do lighter or very light scenes have the same "artifacts" on screen or is it limited to darker scenes..
Lighter scenes do still have it, but it's usually very hard to notice unless someone with dark coloured clothes comes into the lighter scene.

To give you an example of how good it can look, here's another VLC snapshot from the exact same episode the other snapshots are from:

^ Compare that to how messy the other snapshots look. You can still just about see the problem above the characters heads in the darker sections.

Last edited by Maes Hughes; 2007-04-30 at 07:48. Reason: Added another snapshot.