AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-31, 03:24   Link #1
kyubi_15

Manga Question

Full Metal Alchemist manga...is it before the anime or after?

Inuyasha and Naruto are ahead of the anime by a long shot...But with FMA, it seems like it is behind the anime....

I read all the chapters available on Toriyama's World manga collection, and it seems like they are only on ep 14-15 of the anime....

What do u guys think...is there any where else i can get the FMA scanlations?
Old 2004-01-31, 03:29   Link #2
Sakura-chan
A complex "maybe"

Send a message via AIM to Sakura-chan Send a message via MSN to Sakura-chan
Toriyama World is the only scanlation group translating FMA. There are 6 volumes out in Japan already, 7th coming out in spring. So, manga is ahead of anime.
Old 2004-01-31, 03:37   Link #3
kyubi_15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura-chan
Toriyama World is the only scanlation group translating FMA. There are 6 volumes out in Japan already, 7th coming out in spring. So, manga is ahead of anime.

Oh so it means Toriyama is behind the anime?

BTW: this is not meant to put down the speed of TW, its just a question. I just wanted to make sure that FMA's manga is ahead of the anime.

I really like to read the manga before i watch the anime....that's why i was looking forward to read the manga first...

THat's so weird thou, i read somewhere that there is a total of 52 eps of FMA, but the manga's are just coming out...

Anyone got a better understanding or percise news about this?
Old 2004-01-31, 03:49   Link #4
Sakura-chan
A complex "maybe"

Send a message via AIM to Sakura-chan Send a message via MSN to Sakura-chan
Wasn't FMA going to be 50 episodes? <|>_<|>
A lot of animes are created while manga for it is still coming out. Naruto, for example. And Spiral ~suiri no kizuna~ anime is already finished, while manga is still not. There're tons more of examples...
Old 2004-01-31, 04:20   Link #5
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubi_15
Oh so it means Toriyama is behind the anime?
Actually, Toriyama has been releasing just before the anime ep that shows that same sequence or just after....

But the anime isnt exactly following the manga... so you cant compare the two that closely..

And yes, it is 50 eps if the dvd count doesnt change... (i.e. stays at 4 eps/dvd)
Old 2004-01-31, 11:56   Link #6
eLstar
(^_^)v

ToriyamaWorld just released Manga Chapter 9 which is supposed to be the chapter the next episode is based upon.

So far ToriyamaWorld has been one step ahead of the anime but soon the anime will probably pass or go into a totally different direction then the Manga even moreso then it is now. I mean they can't wrap up the series if the Manga in Japan is still going strong.
Old 2004-01-31, 14:04   Link #7
brightman
Ancient Member

To be specific, Chapter 31 of the manga was released a week ago, and yeah Volume 7 will be released soon which will contain chapters 25-28. But still, the manga has only gotten into the bulk of the storyline, and since this is a monthly serialization not much will get done in the manga between now and the completion of the anime, which is why there'll probably be a different ending of sorts.

I don't think the anime will branch off much from the manga though, so far they haven't changed much except adding in a few filler episodes (nicely done though), novel stories and sidestories from future chapters (the Metal vs. Fire and Riza adopting a puppy episode was from two side chapters in Volumes 3 and 4 respectively) and changed around a few events. Plus the fact that most of the manga was probably already available when they started planning the anime due to the slow pace (I'd expect all of Volume 6 and parts of 7 to be available to the anime staff during the production of the anime).

Anyway, since Episode 17 of the anime is covering Chapter 9 of the manga, I don't think we should worry about the anime catching up anytime soon either. In fact I'm worried that 50 episodes might not be enough due to the pace of the anime and the fact that the manga's story still hasn't moved on much yet.
Old 2004-01-31, 18:54   Link #8
YuuOminae
唯我独尊

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
To be specific, Chapter 31 of the manga was released a week ago, and yeah Volume 7 will be released soon which will contain chapters 25-28. But still, the manga has only gotten into the bulk of the storyline, and since this is a monthly serialization not much will get done in the manga between now and the completion of the anime, which is why there'll probably be a different ending of sorts.
Actually 31 was released back on the 10th. I don't think there's ever been a Gangan released after the 15th of any month.
Volume 6 already included chapter 25 (because volume 5 had 5 chapters instead of 4), so I figure volume 7 will have 26-29 plus the recent gaiden from the Gangan Powered that was released a little while back.

Anyway, I can invision a few things happening.
Like I said before, Arakawa already planned out that the manga would go on for 20 years (yes, that's 20 years of serialization, not 20 years in the manga) in an old interview in Puff. I figure Bones would at least consult with him a little bit on that.

Of course, things will turn out differently.
Originally, Pinako was supposed to be a guy, the whole Rush Valley arc was written because Arakawa's editor wanted to have more stories focussed on Winry, etc.
I don't think it'll be as bad as something as the Mankin anime, though.

That should actually be 7 years, not 20 years. *slaps forehead*

Last edited by YuuOminae; 2004-02-05 at 09:58.
Old 2004-02-03, 01:04   Link #9
CrimsonFury
Behold the Fury

As far as Toriyama's World goes, they are usually not right up to date with what just comes out. However they always have things in high quality and are well translated.
Old 2004-02-08, 21:23   Link #10
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

You can find raws of the manga (up to vol 6) as well as Chinese version (up to vol 3) on eDonkey networks. Vol 4 & 5 are available as exclusive downloads on chinese forums.

The chinese scanlates of chp 29, 30 & 31 can be viewed at www.emudown.com/main.asp

Edited: Updated number of volumes of chinese scanlates available...

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-02-13 at 01:05.
Old 2004-02-13, 00:11   Link #11
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
The chinese scanlates of chp 29, 30 & 31 can be viewed at www.emudown.com/main.asp
I looked at that website and I can't find the place where you download the manga chapters. Could you tell me where to go? Oh, and I am able to read some Chinese, but I still wasn't able to find the place on that site.
Old 2004-02-13, 01:02   Link #12
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
I looked at that website and I can't find the place where you download the manga chapters. Could you tell me where to go? Oh, and I am able to read some Chinese, but I still wasn't able to find the place on that site.
Look for " 在线漫画 " (Online manga) at the top (just below their titlehead I believe). You'll then be brought to their manga section (there is also Kare Kano, Prince of Tennis, etc there).

If you would like a partial sneak (in english) of what FMA they have there, you can refer to my thread "Tribute to Fuhrer King Bradley" *shameless self promotion*
Closed Thread