AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-21, 23:35   Link #941
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Although in that pic she looks like she's flat, she's really not
I wouldn't know, I was never too interested in personally finding them out. So if you did, more power to you. Although I personally prefer anything around or beyond a D cup.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever encountered an anime character that aroused such loathing and hatred on my part. So far, Ranka is the only one to ever done just that.

Sad, but true.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-21, 23:58   Link #942
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I wouldn't know, I was never too interested in personally finding them out. So if you did, more power to you. Although I personally prefer anything around or beyond a D cup.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever encountered an anime character that aroused such loathing and hatred on my part. So far, Ranka is the only one to ever done just that.

Sad, but true.

- Tak
Well once I saw the figure that's on sale which Beto had put up recently, I found out that she wasn't completely flat >_>

Meh, I blame the overrated shipping this anime series has created. I've never actually seen such hardcore shipping created from an anime when I first arrived to these forums but I've learned a lot through my experiences Honestly, it's overrated in my opinion but it can't be helped.

Although, the shipping in the Code Geass forums is pretty high strong but they're shipping an anime that has little to no romance what-so-ever.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-22, 03:30   Link #943
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Ranka looks older than characters in kanon and clannad...
Yes I agree, she does look older than Fuuko and flashback Ayu and Mai.
Old 2009-05-22, 07:24   Link #944
Tak

Quote:
Honestly, it's overrated in my opinion but it can't be helped.
Oh boy, if you were here during the heydays of Gundam Seed/Destiny... I mean, if you have a show where a dead psycho bitch has a major fan base...

Quote:

Although, the shipping in the Code Geass forums is pretty high strong but they're shipping an anime that has little to no romance what-so-ever.
Doesn't help when every now and then, the show would throw in some very suggestive situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-22, 07:40   Link #945
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Ah, the dreaded Ranka-looks-too-young-for-her-age-topic resurfaces.
And here I am joining in, lol.
Personally, the only beef I had with Ranka's character design when I first saw the series was how they were, IMHO, shoving a fruitcake on us (I mean loli body, flat-chested, green moving hair, fang, green cellphone mascot, cutesy nyan nyan dance, etc...) Thank God they didn't hire someone with one of those high-pitched loli voices... >.>
My thoughts exactly. I don't mind Ranka being loli-type, underdeveloped with green () and, ack!, flappy hair. I do mind however her character. It's the one I dislike the most. I'd take any other before this one, any other. Personal preferences I guess.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2009-05-22, 07:52   Link #946
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Oh boy, if you were here during the heydays of Gundam Seed/Destiny... I mean, if you have a show where a dead psycho bitch has a major fan base...

- Tak
And let's not forget about the BIG, literally net-quaking certain blonde WTF-ly revealed to be the twin of the main character and suddenly the-one-who-seemed-to-be-canon-in-the-end-in-WTF-way-too redhead younger sibling's fanshipwar... *Brrrr* D:

And to lesser extent, how disastorous a relationship that suddenly sprung up between a red-haired girl that was, like, interested in other man with a certain unjustifiedly-bast@rd-that-has-eternal-hot-blooded-head that was "presumed" to kill her sister. How and WHY they become the 4th (or 5th?) popular pairing in GSD(isaster) is just beyond what my fangirl brain can contain.

Not to mention "certain someone"'s comment about them being the only pairing with TRUE LOVE. You gotta wonder by then how Otome Games do not adapt this form of "true love".

(Yes, Disaster DOES NOT exist in my eyes, thank you.)

Old 2009-05-22, 07:55   Link #947
Tak

Hey, I like Destiny tremendously, even more so than SEED, so nyah.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-22, 08:23   Link #948
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
I do mind however her character. It's the one I dislike the most.
Those were the words I was looking for - honestly I don't care what the looks are, its the personality that matters. Otherwise Shana from Shakugan and Shinku from rozen maiden will be the odd ones out in my fav female characters list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaxxmintpie View Post
Motoko Kusanagi (ghost in the shell), Real Mayer <3 (Ergo Proxy), Sabre (fate/stay night), Cz (scrapped princess), Shana (shakugan no shana), Lennert (Valkyrie profile), Shinku (rozen maiden), Astharoshe Asran (trinity blood), Sumeragi Lee Noriega (gundam 00) (the sexah woman, love her soooooo much), Soma Peries/Marie Perfacy (gundam 00), Misato (Neon genesis), Clare (claymore), Robin Sena (witch hunter robin), Sheryl (macross F)
OMG someone slap me please, how can I forget Yoruichi and Halibel?
Old 2009-05-22, 17:06   Link #949
xxangelchanxx
>:3

Send a message via MSN to xxangelchanxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I lol'd....
Old 2009-05-25, 00:23   Link #950
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
And let's not forget about the BIG, literally net-quaking certain blonde WTF-ly revealed to be the twin of the main character and suddenly the-one-who-seemed-to-be-canon-in-the-end-in-WTF-way-too redhead younger sibling's fanshipwar... *Brrrr* D:

And to lesser extent, how disastorous a relationship that suddenly sprung up between a red-haired girl that was, like, interested in other man with a certain unjustifiedly-bast@rd-that-has-eternal-hot-blooded-head that was "presumed" to kill her sister. How and WHY they become the 4th (or 5th?) popular pairing in GSD(isaster) is just beyond what my fangirl brain can contain.

Not to mention "certain someone"'s comment about them being the only pairing with TRUE LOVE. You gotta wonder by then how Otome Games do not adapt this form of "true love".

(Yes, Disaster DOES NOT exist in my eyes, thank you.)
*Memories resurface*
Old 2009-05-25, 01:24   Link #951
Lostdreams

Honestly, I believe Ranka is hated so much because she lacks confidence as depicted in the earlier eps. Men like women with confidence. Also, I believe most people are prejudiced against her because of her looks. Honestly, switch Sheryl and Ranka's personalities and at least 70% of you would still love Sheryl.
Old 2009-05-25, 01:56   Link #952
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

That depends, really. Japan prefers submissive type and otaku's always go for moe / loli. When I say otaku I mean hardcore fans, not just those that like to watch an anime from time to time. I do believe that age has a significant impact on the choice though. I don't mean the physical age but the mental. Then again, there are many adults who don't like Sheryl's type of character.

Old 2009-05-25, 01:56   Link #953
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Honestly, I believe Ranka is hated so much because she lacks confidence as depicted in the earlier eps. Men like women with confidence. Also, I believe most people are prejudiced against her because of her looks. Honestly, switch Sheryl and Ranka's personalities and at least 70% of you would still love Sheryl.
While there is nothing wrong with loli characters overall, one of the accusation against Ranka's character design is that she looks way too generic.

And I didn't make that one up, thats something Japanese fans have been saying for quite a while.

Unfortunately, character-wise, she is a very generic loli, as well. She is not witty like Hoshino Ruri, moody like Ayanami Rei or entertaining like Felli, she is the kind of girl I see pretty much... everyday. I hate to say it, but she is nothing special. Like what Ohnogi stated, which I will paraphrase, if you take Ranka's mike away, she is pretty much useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei
Japan prefers submissive type
Hardly, as we have almost an excessive exitence of tsundere archtypes these days. Even if we are talking about submissive types, I can't really think of anyone at all, maybe just Belldandy. On a second thought, she is not even submissive, she is just a Yamato Nadeshiko.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-05-25 at 02:12.
Old 2009-05-25, 02:13   Link #954
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

I'm talking about society. The housewife in Japan is as common as rice. It's more like a character type that men prefer. It's changing though. The more Japan becomes an integral part of the world and the more young people follow other cultures the more the 'preferred' character type changes, or as seen in many harem animes, get an update in form of a tsundere or other type. The fact is that Japan grew with patriarch society system.

Also, tsundere is moe as well. It's very submissive. Dependant of the feelings her target provide them with. That's the base aspect of that archetype. Without it the character would just be considered a delinquent of some sorts. You can even look at it as a moe type with a little bit of spice just to have some variety.

Old 2009-05-25, 02:14   Link #955
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
Actually no, if you had been paying attention to fandom throughout the course of this series, you would notice that most people actually disliked Sheryl at the beginning of the series. It was hard to find someone who had something positive to say about her character. Meanwhile Ranka had the most support, looks had nothing to do with that. Looking back on some posts with people commenting about Macross Frontier, people didn't start liking Sheryl until episode 18, where their comments about how she sick people should stay in bed, kinda bit them in the a$$. Then as the episodes when by and Sheryl kept growing people changed their opinion of her.

With Ranka though the opposite happened. While she did at the beginning of the series have the most support, despite being shy, withdrawn, dependent, and slightly selfish. The fans overlooked that. It wasn't till around episodes 17-19 when her naivety, dependency, and inability to speak out became one faults in personality. When she couldn't speak up to Grace about how she disagreed with the arrangement, after Grace asked her what she thought of it. Others were discerned by the fact that she didn't bother another person for a second opinion before accepting the role songtress of hope for Frontier. At that point in time the personality traits that people didn't mind became faults.

The episode that started all the Ranka hate in most of the Frontier fandom began in episode 20, and contrary to most Ranka fans believing that it was the Sheryl fans who started it actuality it was the fans of Michael and Klan Klan that (aka most people who watch this series) who blamed Ranka for not only Michael's death, but also because their OTP wouldn't be able to progress anymore. The hate had nothing to do with Sheryl, its just people started them when they became comparable which were during episodes 22-24, which is also when most Sheryl haters became her most loyal fans. So yeah Sheryl actually had next to nothing to do with the Ranka hate actually, since a lot of it started before many of those same people became Sheryl fans. So yeah at the beginning of the series a lot people were able to overlook the fact that Ranka shy and withdrawn personality.
Old 2009-05-25, 02:21   Link #956
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
I'm talking about society. The housewife in Japan is as common as rice. It's more like a character type that men prefer. It's changing though. The more Japan becomes an integral part of the world and the more young people follow other cultures the more the 'preferred' character type changes, or as seen in many harem animes, get an update in form of a tsundere or other type. The fact is that Japan grew with patriarch society system.
You sound as if Japan hasn't already integrated itself enough with the world (certainly more integrated to the world than say... the FRENCH!)

Rather than submissive, I prefer the term understanding. Or at least that is what compose the Japanese feminine archtype of Yamato Nadeshiko. The perfect Japanese woman is supposed to resolve her husband's troubles by not challenging her man directly, but by getting around the problem, yet still guide her husband along the way. That is however, not submissive.

Anyway, it is not easy to explain, but there is a reason why Japanese language protocol for women are so damn complicated.

That, and i doubt Harem Anime, being somewhat of a recent fad, would phase out anytime soon.

- Tak (And just a side note, the so-called Japanese housewives are... well, dwindling at an alarming rate. Then again, so is the population overall)

Old 2009-05-25, 02:29   Link #957
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
While there is nothing wrong with loli characters overall, one of the accusation against Ranka's character design is that she looks way too generic.

- Tak
But Takky... Green-hair that can move is not your everyday attraction, no?

*Wonders when Takky see Regios though*

Old 2009-05-25, 02:43   Link #958
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
*Wonders when Takky see Regios though*
I discovered it when it had about 10 episodes... some accuse it for sporting relatively bland characters, I say there are times when we need some straightforward action adventure.

- Tak

Old 2009-05-25, 03:00   Link #959
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You sound as if Japan hasn't already integrated itself enough with the world (certainly more integrated to the world than say... the FRENCH!)

Rather than submissive, I prefer the term understanding. Or at least that is what compose the Japanese feminine archtype of Yamato Nadeshiko. The perfect Japanese woman is supposed to resolve her husband's troubles by not challenging her man directly, but by getting around the problem, yet still guide her husband along the way. That is however, not submissive.
Yes, well, my major tends to get in the way of my common speaking habits and I use the terminology I'm used to the most. A quite common thing to do in my speciality You can look at it that way as well. Psychology in Japan as well as the studies on the population are milelnias apart from what Europe and America managed to discover using their ... reservior of testing subjects.

Ranka looks as she looks. Maybe people expected something else from Kawamori?

Old 2009-05-25, 03:02   Link #960
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Actually no, if you had been paying attention to fandom throughout the course of this series, you would notice that most people actually disliked Sheryl at the beginning of the series. It was hard to find someone who had something positive to say about her character. Meanwhile Ranka had the most support, looks had nothing to do with that. Looking back on some posts with people commenting about Macross Frontier, people didn't start liking Sheryl until episode 18, where their comments about how she sick people should stay in bed, kinda bit them in the a$$. Then as the episodes when by and Sheryl kept growing people changed their opinion of her.

With Ranka though the opposite happened. While she did at the beginning of the series have the most support, despite being shy, withdrawn, dependent, and slightly selfish. The fans overlooked that. It wasn't till around episodes 17-19 when her naivety, dependency, and inability to speak out became one faults in personality. When she couldn't speak up to Grace about how she disagreed with the arrangement, after Grace asked her what she thought of it. Others were discerned by the fact that she didn't bother another person for a second opinion before accepting the role songtress of hope for Frontier. At that point in time the personality traits that people didn't mind became faults.

The episode that started all the Ranka hate in most of the Frontier fandom began in episode 20, and contrary to most Ranka fans believing that it was the Sheryl fans who started it actuality it was the fans of Michael and Klan Klan that (aka most people who watch this series) who blamed Ranka for not only Michael's death, but also because their OTP wouldn't be able to progress anymore. The hate had nothing to do with Sheryl, its just people started them when they became comparable which were during episodes 22-24, which is also when most Sheryl haters became her most loyal fans. So yeah Sheryl actually had next to nothing to do with the Ranka hate actually, since a lot of it started before many of those same people became Sheryl fans. So yeah at the beginning of the series a lot people were able to overlook the fact that Ranka shy and withdrawn personality.
Uh, that is some revision of the timeline here, Wisteria. Sheryl emerged as a fan-favourite at episode 5 and stayed there until the end of the series. People were drawing battle-lines around episode 10, IIRC and *really* began to hate Ranka around episode 20 ( like you said ), but there was a lot of animosity towards here before that.

And you got to name me one Sheryl hater who became her greatest fan. At least one, because I sure as hell donīt remember anyone from this board. And I mean one who underwent that change between episodes 22-24, not before.

Tags
characters, favorite