AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-12-28, 18:21   Link #13341
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Did we ever get to the Bamboo Leaf story? How will that one work genderbent. We got relatively tiny Kyonko and Mitsuuru meeting a younger (and likley pre-growth spurt) Haruki. If one follows the story, Mitsuuru is asleep and must be carried by Kyon-chan until they get to the school Haruki has decided to "vandalize"...then Kyon-chan gets ordered around to make a pattern for her future club chief....and give out a "fake" name. I think we decided on something before. The typical Jane Smith as oppose to John Smith....though it might behoof us to look to see what the most common English woman's name is...probably Mary, and go from there. Smith is by far the most common English surname, so that should stay the same.

But what about the situations of having the younger Haruki bossing around Kyon-chan? (and the whole looking for the perfect woman thing that will come up again later...Kyonko's little Ace against the Aliens should they ever try to do something to Yuuki.)
Old 2008-12-28, 19:14   Link #13342
ijuinkun

I would think that Kyonko would have to drag Mitsuru instead of carry him.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 00:19   Link #13343
yggdrasil325
Hikikomori in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
I would think that Kyonko would have to drag Mitsuru instead of carry him.
Seems like a good idea.
yggdrasil325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 04:41   Link #13344
Mimir
Stable and Ready to Roll

Location: I'm probably somewhere, but I can't seem to find myself...
Mitsuuru would be really light then.
Mimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 05:46   Link #13345
CPOK
Gun Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
I would think that Haruhi vs. Haruhi (or Haruki) would boil down to a sheer battle of wills--not only who has the greater desire, but who has the greater determination/stubbornness as well.
Or until one of them found a gun and shot the other. (anything is possible with Haruhi after all.)
CPOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 08:31   Link #13346
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOK View Post
Or until one of them found a gun and shot the other. (anything is possible with Haruhi after all.)
You think a gun is remotely enough to kill either of them?

They could probably easily dodge bullets or even catch bullets with their teeth.

Even if one of them aim perfectly, the bullet itself would refuse to be embedded into their flesh and bounce off their bodies. Even if they're wounded, it may heal instantaneously.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 08:58   Link #13347
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOK View Post
I don't think they're that pissed at eachother.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 23:25   Link #13348
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Did we ever get to the Bamboo Leaf story? How will that one work genderbent. We got relatively tiny Kyonko and Mitsuuru meeting a younger (and likley pre-growth spurt) Haruki. If one follows the story, Mitsuuru is asleep and must be carried by Kyon-chan until they get to the school Haruki has decided to "vandalize"...then Kyon-chan gets ordered around to make a pattern for her future club chief....and give out a "fake" name. I think we decided on something before. The typical Jane Smith as oppose to John Smith....though it might behoof us to look to see what the most common English woman's name is...probably Mary, and go from there. Smith is by far the most common English surname, so that should stay the same.

But what about the situations of having the younger Haruki bossing around Kyon-chan? (and the whole looking for the perfect woman thing that will come up again later...Kyonko's little Ace against the Aliens should they ever try to do something to Yuuki.)
There have been a couple of tries at Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Shaoron managed to finish his (here and here), using "Jane Smith". Little has been changed from the original except for replacing pronouns and such.

I got through about half of BLR myself. The first third is here. I've asked about the problems arising due to the genderswap several times, most of which never actually reached a conclusion or consensus.

Tangentially, I actually had a great idea about the "John Smith" thing, but I completely forgot about it. I only remember the problems with the idea, which were that the name doesn't have anything to do with "John Smith", and is a lot more contemporary than the original Pocahontas-related John Smith. But I also remember that it fit Kyonko quite well, and would come naturally to her, although whether Haruki would recognize it is another matter.

So it goes.

Incidentally, if you want to read the bit of BLR after the part I posted, the draft is here:

Spoiler:
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 23:29   Link #13349
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Also: looking through my unfinished Seitenkan stuff, I just realized how much of a tsundere I made Kyonko.

"It's not like I want to go to the SOS Brigade clubroom every day. I just have nothing better to do."
Old 2008-12-29, 23:30   Link #13350
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I somehow recall this being one of those "Bridge. Cross. Later" instances.

It is "Later" now.
Old 2008-12-29, 23:41   Link #13351
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

What if Kyonko called herself "Orihime"?

PRO:
- It's appropriate to Tanabata. If Kyonko said the first name which came to mind, chances are "Orihime" would be in the shortlist.
- It could explain Haruki's obsession with the paranormal. A girl who fascinates him appears and disappears, giving only the name of "Orihime". If he thinks himself to be Hikoboshi, he could be subconsciously waiting for her to return.
- There's probably some sort of symbolism there.

CON:
- Nothing to do with "John Smith".
- Pretentious.
- "Orihime" is a valid name in Japan, so Haruki would probably assume that it's Kyonko's real name, without thinking about all the symbolism.

Last edited by dkellis; 2008-12-30 at 00:55.
Old 2008-12-30, 21:42   Link #13352
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I found this fanfiction story (and its sequel) whose idea it was that Kyon's parents weren't that ordinary in their youth... (and somewhat familiar!)

I wonder how Kyonko would take having parents like that!

...Heh. Those're funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheodoreIV View Post
But with parallel dimensions with multiple godly Haru(h/k)i's comes the old question of "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an inmovable object?". If two Suzumiya's with reality-alternating abilities are both subconciously attempting to alter reality in a conflicting way, what would happen? Like say, Suzumiya A wants a flock of pigeons to turn blue at midnight and Suzumiya B wants the same pigeons to turn red at midnight, what'll happen to the pigeons? And before someone says it, no, I don't think the pigeons would turn purple.
...My opinion is that the pidgeons would explode.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 04:18   Link #13353
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Once again I realized how much Seitenkan has influenced me, when I write a post and find it utterly weird to refer to Taniguchi with the male pronoun.
Old 2008-12-31, 04:32   Link #13354
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

I'd like to see more stories about the Seitenkan universe characters meeting the canon universe characters exploring how, to them, it's a strange new concept to think of, for example, Kyon being male. Stuff like that, looking at it through their point of view.
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 11:22   Link #13355
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Happy New Year 2009 (atm, at least for the aussies).

I'd like to say that discussing fanfic ideas are a step up for us. I've read a fic where a Haruhi-prime realizes her powers and goes on a multiverse rampage ala Jet Li's The One. No seitenkan tho.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 22:10   Link #13356
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

It will be 2009 in two hours over here at the U.S. east coast.
Old 2008-12-31, 22:26   Link #13357
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Hmm. I wanted to bring in the New Year by listening to... Oh, who was it? Some girl who had made some faux drama CDs with a few of her pals. I can't seem to find them anymore. Darn shame, too; must've been swallowed by all the CRACK.
Old 2009-01-01, 12:09   Link #13358
TheodoreIV

On the matter of Jane Smith versus Mary Smith: we should go with Mary Smith because, even though Jane Smith sounds more natural since it's similar to John Smith, Mary Smith serves the same purpose as John Smith and Jane Smith is too far away from being a common enough name that would imply that Kyonko is lying about her real name. If Kyonko said her name was Jane, it wouldn't be too hard to believe it was her real name since Jane isn't exactly overly common. Oh, and no Orihime. There's just too much wrong with that.

As for Kyonko carrying/dragging Mitsuru: Kyonko should half carry half drag Mitsuru by holding his arm around her shoulder with her other arm around his side and dragging him beside herself, as one would do to support someone with an injured foot/leg. I'm not sure if that was what was being implied by the suggestion to have her drag him, but when I read that the image that instantly came to mind was her dragging him on the ground by his arms behind her. Kinda like how you would carry a dead body, and that doesn't exactly sound like the kinda treatment Kyonko would give her beloved senpai, even if it was the easier method.

Is there anything else regarding Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody that needs reconfiguring for the genderbent rewrite?

On the note of fanfics: I too would like to see more interaction between the canon cast and seitenkan cast. I'd give it a shot if I didn't already know how lousy of a writer I am when it comes to stories.
TheodoreIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 14:26   Link #13359
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
Hmm. I wanted to bring in the New Year by listening to... Oh, who was it? Some girl who had made some faux drama CDs with a few of her pals. I can't seem to find them anymore. Darn shame, too; must've been swallowed by all the CRACK.
Do you mean the genderbent dubs made by the folks over at Emerald Park Productions?

Oi, I thought we'd settled the fake name issue! Jane Smith because it is a more direct bending of John Smith. When we genderbend names, we go for whatever sounds close, not for getting the same meaning. We didn't try to find a male name that means snow, did we?
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 17:08   Link #13360
TheodoreIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Do you mean the genderbent dubs made by the folks over at [URL="http://emeraldparkproductions.mypodcast.com/"]
Oi, I thought we'd settled the fake name issue! Jane Smith because it is a more direct bending of John Smith. When we genderbend names, we go for whatever sounds close, not for getting the same meaning. We didn't try to find a male name that means snow, did we?
Personal names and a culture's iconic most common name are different matters. Didn't we agree on freckled ginger instead of a calico for the female Shamisen because it serves the same purpose of being the most rare female cat? Equally, Mary Smith is the most common female name. If John Smith was an actual person, then yes, we'd go with Jane Smith. But he's not. It's just an icon of an obviously fake name that was clearly made up on the spot with no effort. Besides, it's not like Kyon's fake name was Janu Sumithu in the Japanese version, it was whatever the most common Japanese name was. Likewise, in Swedish, it would be replaced with the most common male Sweden name. So if they're going for meaning, not specifically the name John Smith, then we go for meaning, not specifically the genderbent equivalent of John Smith. So it should be Mary Smith.
TheodoreIV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan