AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-10-12, 09:56   Link #101
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Abyssian gets easier when your characters are lvls 200+ with 30 of each heal items and whatnot.

I tend to never use Raine after my first playthrough. It makes the game more difficult, and I never play under Maniac mode.

I managed to solo Abyssian with every character (but Raine) on maniac mode... man that was hard... Especially with the characters I have little experience with controlling. But then again, I'm a ToS fanatic, and I'm gonna ooze with fanboyism when ToS2 comes out next month.
You are a lot better than me. I have to go in with the full group just to take the guy.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 09:57   Link #102
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
And what is the theme and point? If the plot and characters suck... what other reason do you have to continue?
Again, opinions. I love Abyss's plot and characters myself. So do many, just as there are many who don't like it.

The most basic themes are of course defiance against fate and meaning of birth. But another aspect of Abyss is how the past shapes the people and how they choose their own future based from their past, and more often than not, they don't let it go. The entire God-Generals and Van basically clung to their past so hard they don't give a damn about anything but their selfishness, while the protagonist learn to accept their past, but never forget and instead strive forward.

Luke's worth as a person and the weight of his crime is something that is harped throughout the game entirely. Other than Anise, there is no simple forgive and forget. Jade said it best, he will not be absolved from his sin no matter what he does and there will always be people who will never forgive him.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 10:01   Link #103
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Again, opinions. I love Abyss's plot and characters myself. So do many, just as there are many who don't like it.

The most basic themes are of course defiance against fate and meaning of birth. But another aspect of Abyss is how the past shapes the people and how they choose their own future based from their past, and more often than not, they don't let it go. The entire God-Generals and Van basically clung to their past so hard they don't give a damn about anything but their selfishness, while the cast learns to accept their past, but never forget and instead strive forward.

Luke's worth as a person and the weight of his crime is something that is harped throughout the game entirely. Jade said it best, he will not be absolved from his sin and there will always be people who will never forgive him.
Jades speech is a carbon Copy of Lloyd's. Lloyd said the same thing to Sheena. Abyss' plot is very much like Symphonia's. Although Symphonia was mainly about racism.

I liked Phantasia's theme. Where the good guys to the other side are actually bad guys, and the main bad guy is the hero trying to save his race from extinction. When you beat Dhaos, the heroes are like... did we do the right thing? Its kind of a moral dilemna.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 10:04   Link #104
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Most Tales games ARE about racism. In Abyss, it's just less 'worldly' and more personal, reflected from the conflict of self-being in Asch vs Luke.

Yes, but Abyss executes the element of 'weight of burden' with more emphasis. The speech itself may be a carbon-copy, but the presentation is different, just as some people really dislike Luke putting himself down with his inferiority-complex throughout most of the 2nd half of the game, stemming from his questioning and fears of himself and what he should do to atone, because by living, he thinks he is taking away the life that was another's.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-10-12, 10:10   Link #105
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Most Tales games ARE about racism. In Abyss, it's just less 'worldly' and more personal, reflected from the conflict of self-being in Asch vs Luke.
Erm... no not really, take Phantasia again as an example. The only racism in the game was the elves being racist against half-elves, but it wasn't a driving force for the story, it was just a little side development for our nympho witch.

I didn't spot any blatent racism in Abyss or ToV.

Symphonia was straight up about racism. It was the driving force behind Yggdrassil and the reason why everything is happening.
Old 2008-10-12, 10:11   Link #106
NoLongerSane

Spoiler for Game to Anime adaption:
Old 2008-10-12, 10:13   Link #107
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
It depends on how well it'll flow with the story. Optional bosses tend to not appear in adaptions from what I've seen in other series. Tales games tend to have good flow with bosses, like it serves a purpose other than to have a boss fight at the end of a dungeon.
Old 2008-10-12, 10:16   Link #108
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Erm... no not really, take Phantasia again as an example. The only racism in the game was the elves being racist against half-elves, but it wasn't a driving force for the story, it was just a little side development for our nympho witch.

I didn't spot any blatent racism in Abyss or ToV.

Symphonia was straight up about racism. It was the driving force behind Yggdrassil and the reason why everything is happening.
Okay, maybe ARE is too strong a word. Have elements of racism, some more blatant than the other. Like Eternia, Rebirth, Legendia, Symphonia and Innocence.

Old 2008-10-12, 15:17   Link #109
kujoe
from head to heel

The most blatant form of racism in Abyss is the idea of...

Spoiler:
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 16:57   Link #110
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
Spoiler:
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:43   Link #111
Bekki
\(。◕‿◕。)/

Spreading some Abyss love~

Spoiler for LOTS OF PICS:
Bekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 03:10   Link #112
Fate21
Kiyu~

Tales of the Abyss story is awesome
I didn't think that Luke was a replica, at first i thought he was just a human.
It was my first time seing a hero cut his hair to change himself, it's like a novel and first his attitude is the worst from any other main hero that i knew.
Tales of the Abyss battle system is cool too. It was my second's favourite battle system after Star Ocean 3 battle system :3
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 11:47   Link #113
Sides

3DS ported dated for next year, infos on andriasang.com.
Hopefully it will get a EU/PAL release this time around.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 13:40   Link #114
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
3DS ported dated for next year, infos on andriasang.com.
Hopefully it will get a EU/PAL release this time around.
Cool, very interesting. If this gets a state-side release, then it might be a great incentive to buy the DS.
Old 2010-10-07, 21:20   Link #115
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

^ great news though I don't have a 3ds at the moment.

Playing Abyss for a while and just like Fate21 said, story is so awesome, currently addicted to it and will finish it ASAP (including the 2nd playthrough)
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 22:06   Link #116
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I just started playing this its good so far and I freaking love Jade and Mieu (sp?)

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 15:52   Link #117
Sides

Interview with Makoto Yoshizumi on cubed3.com.
Will tales studio pull a Zelda 3D or will it be a straight port? Only time will tell. Not sure but i believe the frame rate has is more steady and possibly higher than on the PS2, when viewing the PV. One thing is for sure, just like Zelda OoT, this is probably the title to introduce new generation of gamers to the Tales of ... Series.
Old 2011-06-17, 21:12   Link #118
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Interview with Makoto Yoshizumi on cubed3.com.
Will tales studio pull a Zelda 3D or will it be a straight port? Only time will tell. Not sure but i believe the frame rate has is more steady and possibly higher than on the PS2, when viewing the PV. One thing is for sure, just like Zelda OoT, this is probably the title to introduce new generation of gamers to the Tales of ... Series.
I wonder they'll fix the bugs found in the PS2 version (especially the ones for Jade, oh GOD ).
Old 2011-06-17, 21:50   Link #119
NoLongerSane

Quote:
One thing is for sure, just like Zelda OoT, this is probably the title to introduce new generation of gamers to the Tales of ... Series.
I am hoping on that. I already have the game for the PS2 and was wondering if picking the game up for the 3DS might be worth it. If this game does very well in selling then I am hoping to see Symphonia's PS2 game version released on that hand-held system.
Old 2011-06-22, 08:15   Link #120
Sides

Apparently famitsu scored the 3DS version 8/8/7/8. The PS2 version was scored 9/9/9/9. So a straight port with 3D i guess, and it kind of shows that the game did not aged well(?). Will still get it anyway, if it comes out in europe.
Anoop summarised the reviewers comment on his blog andriasang.com

Andriasang.com has an article on the latest Iwata Asks column. Basically Makoto Yoshizumi tries to explain that the Tales brand is popular, especially with girls, but the games sell like crap. Kind of explains the decline Tales had since the last 13 years. So less anime adaptions and events, more games please.

Last edited by Sides; 2011-06-23 at 02:03.