AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-07-06, 04:59   Link #161
edf91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
Also, Bishou no Teresa means "Smiling Theresa" ... I'm not sure why they added a "faint" in there in English, maybe because it sounds better (it does indeed) or because there is a difference that I don't get, since I'm no native speaker. In French they also simply called her "la souriante", which is about the same as in Spanish.
I think it's due to the words being borrowed from Chinese. In Chinese, the word "shou" already means smile/laugh. "Bi" in this case is describing the smile (small/minor). From my understanding of the word smile in English can go up in degree pretty high (meaning your smile can get pretty big before it is consider a laugh), therefore if the translator want to keep the original meaning, they have to translate it as faint. That's the beauty of the Chinese language sometimes - they can be pretty precise in describing somethings with the minimal choice of words.

Besides, there is also a double-meaning of Teresa's title - most Asian literature really "treasure" a beauty's smile, so if they basically name someone smile, it would suggest that person is beautiful, and I am not sure about you, but Teresa is one of the most beautiful Claymore we have seen so far (Flora is ok, but she is more of a quiet type beauty while Teresa is more of an overall beauty {have the "asset" to back it up, unlike Flora }). Trust me, if Teresa isn't as beautiful as she is, I doubt they would call her "Smiling Teresa". Imagine if Teresa look like Noel - I am sure people would just laugh or something if they saw Noel after hearing her nickname is "Faint Smile".
edf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 14:54   Link #162
dee32

According to vol. 12 scene 68 page 140, the MIBs are having a meeting. They promote number 9 (Nina) to number 7. So Nina should be refered as number 7 instead of number 9.
dee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 15:22   Link #163
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee32 View Post
According to vol. 12 scene 68 page 140, the MIBs are having a meeting. They promote number 9 (Nina) to number 7. So Nina should be refered as number 7 instead of number 9.
Actually, he meant that #9 Nina should be replaced by #7 as the single digit leader in the North. He didn't mean that #9 Nina should be #7 Nina.

So that means that Nina no longer is stationed in the North, #7 is (whatever her name is). And the other Claymores that were in the North with Nina were also switched out for higher ranking soldiers. This way, the Organization's strength in the North is increased.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 20:36   Link #164
Patcoola

before i start i like to say i first saw the anime before the manga and had high hopes.

my first impressions on the manga is that the differences are small to the anime which had more detail and actions were the manga was quick to the next scene.

after seeing the anime i've always suspected that Clare was so young, but in the manga it shows that Raki and Clare are very young, in the beginning.

The art work in the manga is inconsistent for the characters, the eyes to me are awkward but adds to a unique style by the artist. the heads of the characters display a style indeed and make everyone look like a child. Clare is short in one scene and taller in another. In the anime i only had to play the "Did the sword get bigger" game a friend of mine started with the series Berserk when the size of the sword would change from cut to cut in the scene, but in the manga i can play "Did her boobs get bigger", "did she just get taller", "did his eyes move farther apart" and so on.

among all things said this is still my first impressions and im still a big fan of the claymore series. I mean no disrespects to the artist.
Old 2009-01-02, 20:38   Link #165
MisterJB
Warden of the West

If you only read the first chapter is normal.
Believe me, lately the artwork gets amazing, principally with Clare, rigth now, she looks like a real woman
MisterJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 10:52   Link #166
Korinov
The Burned Man walks!

Yup, Yagi's drawing techniques evolved a lot between volumes 1 and 4... fortunately he managed to erase most of his inconsistences.

BTW, I come here to this post cause the Volume 6 I recently bought in Glènat spanish version has simply get me LOL'd.

[link removed by a moderator]

Second bullet. Helen's words (talking about her half-awakening):

- I got carried away and lost control. The impulse to awaken was too strong, just like it was for the males.

Glènat's version:

- Sobrepasé mi límite llevada por la euforia. Estaba con un chico y no pude reprimirme.

that means...

- I surpassed my limits carried away by euphoria. I was with a boy and I couldn't resist.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2009-01-03 at 16:34.
Korinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 11:22   Link #167
KillerYomaFromSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinov View Post
Yup, Yagi's drawing techniques evolved a lot between volumes 1 and 4... fortunately he managed to erase most of his inconsistences.

BTW, I come here to this post cause the Volume 6 I recently bought in Glènat spanish version has simply get me LOL'd.

- I got carried away and lost control. The impulse to awaken was too strong, just like it was for the males.

Glènat's version:

- Sobrepasé mi límite llevada por la euforia. Estaba con un chico y no pude reprimirme.

that means...

- I surpassed my limits carried away by euphoria. I was with a boy and I couldn't resist.

I've been buying the Glenat versions since almost a year ago, so that line got me confused for quite a while.

KillerYomaFromSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 16:13   Link #168
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korinov View Post

Glènat's version:

that means...

As a fan of hetero pairings, to me that's so rigth in so many ways.

Thanks for sharing

Old 2009-01-03, 17:35   Link #169
Rowan

That makes Helen's blush a lot more understandable. I wondered why she'd be blushing about almost awakening, but if it was during sex, even Helen might get slightly embarrassed.

R.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 17:36   Link #170
KillerYomaFromSpace

I should remind you guys that that version is wrong
Old 2009-01-03, 17:40   Link #171
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Which doesn't change the fact that Yagi could have thougth of it that way, after all, she said that she was just like males, wich means, too horny.

And like Rowan said, she blushed.

I would love to see the face of the guy when that happened LOL
Old 2009-01-03, 17:46   Link #172
Rowan

I just doubled checked the anime. It's basically the Viz manga version instead of the spanish one. Spanish one is more fun, though.

And MisterJB, I now challenge you to find someone in the image thread to make that comic.

R.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 18:13   Link #173
KillerYomaFromSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post
Which doesn't change the fact that Yagi could have thougth of it that way, after all, she said that she was just like males, wich means, too horny.

getting horny and being with a guy are two very diferent things
Old 2009-01-03, 18:25   Link #174
MisterJB
Warden of the West

KillerYoma: It seems we have this discussion over and over again. Ok, Helen was the first girl to point out what we were all thinkhing, that Raki was Clare's loveboy.
But once again, this is a matter of perspective, if you like to think that she was with a girl (Deneve maybe) when that happened, then go ahead, who am I to stop you?
I simply like hetero stuff.

Rowan: I'm not sure if I'm best to do that, I don't go to the image thread that often, altough I migth know someone personally that could do that, the only problem is that he never watched Claymore
Old 2009-01-03, 18:30   Link #175
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Quote:

What Helen means is that she liked the feeling, jut like the males did. That doesn't mean she is horny, she just liked the feeling. This is hard to explain but I have to agree with killeryomafromspace on this one.
hell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 18:40   Link #176
KillerYomaFromSpace

Quote:
KillerYoma: It seems we have this discussion over and over again. Ok, Helen was the first girl to point out what we were all thinkhing, that Raki was Clare's loveboy.
But once again, this is a matter of perspective, if you like to think that she was with a girl (Deneve maybe) when that happened, then go ahead, who am I to stop you?
I simply like hetero stuff.

Rowan: I'm not sure if I'm best to do that, I don't go to the image thread that often, altough I migth know someone personally that could do that, the only problem is that he never watched Claymore
I never said she was with a girl, but according to the Claymore universe the most plausible explanation is that she was by herself and not with a guy or with anyone.

And your image of Helen seem a bit distorted, what she said to Clare was only to tease her, also, if she was like a whore crazy for guys, she would have tried to flirt with some guys at Rabona instead of getting drunk by herself and then decide to just leave the city.
Old 2009-01-03, 18:42   Link #177
hell88
Banned

Location: Canada, but sometimes in La La-Land hanging out with Midori-chan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerYomaFromSpace View Post
I never said she was with a girl, but according to the Claymore universe the most plausible explanation is that she was by herself and not with a guy or with anyone.

And your image of Helen seem a bit distorted, what she said to Clare was only to tease her, also, if she was like a whore crazy for guys, she would have tried to flirt with some guys at Rabona instead of getting drunk by herself and then decide to just leave the city.
Again I have to agree with killeryomafromspace, the way Helen made it sound was like she was wounded really bad and almost had no choice but to give in to awakening.
hell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 18:51   Link #178
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Of course it was only to tease her, never said that she wanted to make out with Raki, just saying that she seems to be Claymore who is more into this kind of stuff.

But I think that if she is like the males, then I suposse that she raised her Yoki a little too much one day and she couldn't control the impulse.
We saw in this new chapter that she really likes the feeling
Old 2011-04-26, 17:57   Link #179
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

It seems volume 13 has been discontinued. Does anyone know anything more about this??
Old 2011-04-27, 16:38   Link #180
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
It seems volume 13 has been discontinued. Does anyone know anything more about this??

Barnes and Nobel (US only book store) is listing volumes 1 - 13 as not available and amazon stocks are rather low for those 13 volumes... maybe it's going to be switching to an omnibus style format or they're just running low on the first printing. It's a common practice of publishers to cut off a book for several months (many times with no info upcoming new formants/second printings) so when the next format/printing comes out it will have a built up demand and can possibly hit a bestseller list somewhere since those are free marketing.

It could also be switching to a print on demand only (heard a few companies will be doing this in the near future... though never for a manga/graphic novel as of yet). They're not going to (hopefully) discontinue a series that's still selling well (at least the latest volumes are) and still ongoing, especially with upcoming volumes with publishing dates already set.

In any case for those who want to complete a set of this, now is the time to buy the VIZ version before it might be gone forever. If you where missing a volume or two in this set your chances to buy it in its current formant might be running out. Hopefully, a small mass buying might ensure it stays in stock...