Medaka, Medaka,
Friendly girl next door Medaka.
Wealth and fame, she's got them—
Action is her reward.
To her,
Life is to serve requests—
Wherever there's a request,
You'll find our Medaka!

LOL Very funny! Like I said this chapter made me feel I was reading a Marvel Comic, but then again like Jourdal mentioned even Marvel Superheroes had to go through alot of pains and appeared somewhat human because of those hardships and flaws but our Princess Medaka have none of these. Oh but she had to rip her clothes off to ride the bicycle faster and show off her body.LOL
Old 2009-09-06, 03:04   Link #742
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Medaka somehow trusts the rest of the SC members (Zen, etc.), and they, in turn, somehow manage to defend themselves from their would-be attackers. Medaka then proceeds to take down the violent brat.
She has more faith in Shiranui than her own SC members, sometimes I wonder what's the purpose of filling the council spots.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 03:07   Link #743
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
She has more faith in Shiranui than her own SC members, sometimes I wonder what's the purpose of filling the council spots.
Then a natural question is why to gather such useless SC, that you trust an outsider more than them and do all job for them at the end anyway.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 03:12   Link #744
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Another fail chapter this week.

Perhaps the author is trying to do this God Sue trope differently by focusing on the godly aspects of Medaka instead of humanizing her but I can tell you that he is going at it in a wrong, wrong way. It would be better if the plot focuses on conflicts of morals and ideas with Zenkichi as the main catalyst which reminds me that the manga started to run downhill when they recruited members into the SC. The story would potentially be better if the author just focuses on the main duo.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 03:36   Link #745
Sixth
Hu Tao

Huh? Is Medaka is at the edge of cancelling? Because from the vibe I got from the recent chapters, it seems trying to become a battle manga..perhaps I think too much?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 03:46   Link #746
Darknemo2000

Yes it is, but not in the next few issues that's for sure.

As it was said there are no plans on cutting stuff in nearest future (unless HxH returns) so it should have time until october-november to work things out.

But with the way things going and with the current pace it a get canceled once we get the last member I don't think it will happen soon because they like to give many random chapters just to tell us how awesome Medaka is and how useless everyone else are.
Old 2009-09-06, 03:47   Link #747
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Huh? Is Medaka is at the edge of cancelling? Because from the vibe I got from the recent chapters, it seems trying to become a battle manga..perhaps I think too much?
No way is it becoming a battle manga. In a battle manga, you atleast see the opponents put up some sort of a fight before being defeated or the justice team vs the army of evil or something. But here Medaka just pawned her opponents in under 3 minutes without them even moving a muscle. Its not a battle manga it was just a chapter to show off Medaka's godliness and show off her figure.
Old 2009-09-06, 03:50   Link #748
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
If you call Medaka oneshotting everyone a battle then yes.

I actually somewhat enjoyed the chapter because i've given up hope on any kind of story or character development, except for small bits and pieces. For example, Onigsase defending Shiranui. There were also some nice bits where some people were actually freaked out by Medaka. Not everyone accepted her (though most did) and there was the part where Medaka said she wouldn't be useless, which could be some indication that she feels insecure about becoming useless. A smart author would touch on the fact that she trusts Shiranui (with the lead guy no less), but doesn't trust them with even underlings. It's be great if Zen called her on it.

Of course, it could just be wishful thinking on my part and nothing will probably come of it. If that's the case, then I'll just read it for what it is- a random gag manga that's not supposed to be deep in any way, with all problems solved by Medaka. I'll try to enjoy it that way until it gets canceled for doing the same stuff over and over again.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:31   Link #749
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
W...T...F!?!? Even Zen had to get saved?!? This manga has officially dropped to 'crap' status. That doesn't even make any sense, since Zen and Akune are two of the strongest guys in the school. And I thought that Shirainui was actually going to fight Unken(or whatever the boy's name is) or something. Damn, that would have been the best thing to happen since chap 7.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 04:53   Link #750
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
W...T...F!?!? Even Zen had to get saved?!? This manga has officially dropped to 'crap' status. That doesn't even make any sense, since Zen and Akune are two of the strongest guys in the school. And I thought that Shirainui was actually going to fight Unken(or whatever the boy's name is) or something. Damn, that would have been the best thing to happen since chap 7.
I don't think this chapter is about 'had to be saved', with emphasis on 'had'. Medaka just never gave him the chance.
Old 2009-09-06, 04:56   Link #751
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
No way is it becoming a battle manga. In a battle manga, you atleast see the opponents put up some sort of a fight before being defeated or the justice team vs the army of evil or something. But here Medaka just pawned her opponents in under 3 minutes without them even moving a muscle. Its not a battle manga it was just a chapter to show off Medaka's godliness and show off her figure.
Well, Neuro from the Maijin Tantei Nougami Neuro also start the manga by one-shot everyone before it enter the main arc and become a battle manga as well.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 06:39   Link #752
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Then a natural question is why to gather such useless SC, that you trust an outsider more than them and do all job for them at the end anyway.
Actually Madeka was thinking of asking Shiranui to be VP but she knows Shiranui wont accept it.

Shiranui stated that she and Madeka wont ever get along.

I can see why Medeka sees potential in Shiranui as VP as she is possibly the only person that can challenge her.

Not to mention Madeka has jealousy bites when she sees Zenkichi paying more attention to Shiranui.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 07:20   Link #753
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Not to mention Madeka has jealousy bites when she sees Zenkichi paying more attention to Shiranui.
Her 'jealousy bites' are just because Shiranui does not belong to SC. If Shiranui were part of SC Medaka would not give a damn if Shiranui and Zen would start making out in front of her. We already saw her having zero reaction when Zen and Kika were in compromising position.
Old 2009-09-06, 11:12   Link #754
Jourdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
Another fail chapter this week.

Perhaps the author is trying to do this God Sue trope differently by focusing on the godly aspects of Medaka instead of humanizing her but I can tell you that he is going at it in a wrong, wrong way. It would be better if the plot focuses on conflicts of morals and ideas with Zenkichi as the main catalyst which reminds me that the manga started to run downhill when they recruited members into the SC. The story would potentially be better if the author just focuses on the main duo.
This is what i preferred as well
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 11:13   Link #755
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Her 'jealousy bites' are just because Shiranui does not belong to SC. If Shiranui were part of SC Medaka would not give a damn if Shiranui and Zen would start making out in front of her. We already saw her having zero reaction when Zen and Kika were in compromising position.
I tend to agree
Old 2009-09-06, 12:16   Link #756
Arturro

A contraty to most posters I've found last chapter as a very interesting one. Now I'm almost sure, my predictions about plot of this manga was right.
Most of us, me included, dislike Mary Sue types of characters, and we were disappointed when Medaka shown her superhuman abilities. No one expected humans with supernatural powers in this manga. As I've posted before - readers tends to dislike plot devices they didn't expected. But try to look at Medaka Box as a supernatural type manga - like Rosario to Vampire, Sekirei, Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi etc. Re-read this series expecting Medaka to be something supernatural (alien, genetic engineered human, halfdemon etc.), and to see another supernatural characters (IMHO we will soon see Shiranui as one).
Till chapter 17 I was unable do comprehend why author is showing Medaka as such kind of character. She looked too me like typical Mary Sue archetype. Now I know her motivation, and I could explain each of her strange actions and behaviours. She is extremely insecure. She feel she need to prove her worth again and again. She wants to be loved and praised by everyone, cause she feel unworthy.
She is connected to Zenkichi probably because he was a first person, who loved her. He was Medaka "safe bay", she always could go back to him, he is a prof, that she is worth something - because there is at least one person who loves her. Because she has a lots of followers now, his importance is dimnishing.
IMHO Zenkichi role was also dimnished because author wanted to show us, how much he doesn't fit into Students Council. There were lots of hints that he himself or other people (including Medaka) see him as unfitting for SC (Medaka folowers). Soon, IMHO in next 2-3 chapters, Zenkichi will leave SC. IMHO this will be the moment, when real plot, and characters development, will start.
BTW - in Medakaverse there are 3 kinds of people:
superhumans - like Medaka, enforcer kid, and probably Shiranui;
geniuses - those with schoolarship - most of shown characters;
common people - Zenkichi so far was only ordinary human shown in this series for more than 1 chapter.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 13:54   Link #757
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Latest Rankings:

Bottom 5

Ane Doki
Psyren
Akaboshi
Medaka Box
Kagijin

Considering this is the start of the swim arc, I'm not surprised and expect it to be here for the next 4 weeks until this concludes. Unless the Yuri kiss really is the cure-all the author seemed to want it to be.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 15:56   Link #758
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

At this point in time the I would prefer it that the story would be based around Zen and Shiranui. With Medaka doing her superhuman acts on the side lines. Honestly these super feats are boring and getting outright annoying.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 19:38   Link #759
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Unless the Yuri kiss really is the cure-all the author seemed to want it to be.
lol, I can really see that happening. It'd be meaningless though since it'd only be for one chapter, then again, kikaijima's appeal might up the series.

Last edited by Kurosu; 2009-09-06 at 19:48.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 19:51   Link #760
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Next Medaka should offer sexual services to all the sexually frustrated boys and girls of the school to help increase their test scores.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council