AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-07-11, 13:58   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Site down (www) - July 11, 2010

The main site (www.animesuki.com) is currently down. As various sites of our provider (their site, client portal, status page) and a few other sites I know are hosted there (www.nyaatorrents.org & HDBits) are also down, it once again appears to be a provider-wide issue.

The problem has so far lasted an hour and unfortunately based on previous recent downtime it may take some longer before the problem is fixed, especially if the provider techs are watching the World Cup final (it's fine with me for them to have the radio on while they work though...)

Anyway, there is nothing much we can do but wait. Then again a lot of people might not care about the downtime at this very moment anyway

More info about this and future downtime (hopefully not of course) can be found here: http://twitter.com/AnimeSuki

Alternative mirrors can be found here: http://animesuki.sandwich.net/mirrors.php

Apart from the main torrent site, the wiki and beta site (see my sig) as well as the backend system are also affected by this downtime. Therefore the mirrors might show "out-of-date" messages. The forum is not affected because it's hosted elsewhere.

Edit 21:54: And we're back up again. Seems like the techs of our provider are working during the Wold Cup

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-07-11 at 14:53.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 10:29   Link #2
-Kh-
ポルカ

Are there any problems with the main site again? I cannot access it (neither Nyatorrents), however the mirrors work just fine.

I asked a friend in America (I'm in the UK), and he said they work just fine.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 11:38   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The monitoring apps & services I use did not record any downtime.
Old 2010-07-22, 11:44   Link #4
-Kh-
ポルカ

I see thanks, must be something on my end.
Old 2010-07-22, 19:46   Link #5
-Kh-
ポルカ

Just to let you know, and if anyone ever has a similar problem, some Anti-Malware programs will block www.animesuki.com and some other similar sites, thinking they can be a potential trait or be malicious websites. In my case it was Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which I has just installed this week.
Old 2010-07-22, 20:51   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I've encountered more malware on the NY Times site than I have in my nearly four years here now. Perhaps it's just a bias against sites with torrent links?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 01:44   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I've encountered more malware on the NY Times site than I have in my nearly four years here now. Perhaps it's just a bias against sites with torrent links?
There have been even virus problems on the site actually.
Old 2010-07-23, 02:56   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well, my sister claimed her PC got infected by "Anti-Malware Doctor" (scareware trojan) by browsing The Pirate Bay (using Firefox btw!). And I can imagine some torrent sites taking offers from less scrupulous advertisers. I still get frequent advertising requests from UseNEXT myself...

But anyway, CPMStar, the advertising company we use now should be pretty safe. Google seems to "confirm" this:
http://safebrowsing.clients.google.c.../animesuki.com
Old 2010-07-23, 07:50   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Well, my sister claimed her PC got infected by "Anti-Malware Doctor" (scareware trojan) by browsing The Pirate Bay (using Firefox btw!).
It uses Javascript. The script executes when the page or browser is closed and pops up another window that displays the "your computer is infected" page. It's designed to look like Windows Explorer so many people think it's the real deal. OTOH, the success of this infection shows how little people trust their computers. Most people I've spoken with already had anti-virus software installed but believed the message from the trojan anyway.

I saw this (from the NY Times) on my computer running Linux. Pretty obvious give-away in that setting!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 14:12   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It uses Javascript. The script executes when the page or browser is closed and pops up another window that displays the "your computer is infected" page. It's designed to look like Windows Explorer so many people think it's the real deal. OTOH, the success of this infection shows how little people trust their computers. Most people I've spoken with already had anti-virus software installed but believed the message from the trojan anyway.
Regrettably, it's well know a good deal of people are that stupid they would actually believe those kind of banners.
Quote:
I've been reluctant to discuss one of the findings from our eyetracking research because the conclusion is that unethical design pays off.

In 1997, I chose to suppress a similar finding: users tend to click on banner ads that look like dialog boxes, complete with fake OK and Cancel buttons. Of course, instead of being an actual system message — such as "Your Internet Connection Is Not Optimized" — the banner is just a picture of a dialog box, and clicking its close box doesn't dismiss it, but rather takes users to the advertiser's site. Deceptive, unethical, and #3 among the most-hated advertising techniques. Still, fake dialog boxes got many more clicks than regular banners, which users had already started to ignore in 1997.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/banner-blindness.html
Old 2010-07-29, 11:17   Link #11
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There have been even virus problems on the site actually.
Technically yes, but only one. I know that isn't a real defence as one is one too many, but it has been years since that icident (2004).

As far as I'm aware we've not had any problems since we stopped using falkag. This was during the time the server and banners were under mb81's control and sites like The Register were also caught up in it.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote