Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-04-07, 17:19   Link #121
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke2007 View Post
Why Toriko? Is it that big in Japan?
Already there have been two crossover TorikoxOnepiece so it continues with this third novelty is DBZ, and I think are doing this because there have been filming the new DBZ ... and also Toriko, One Piece and DBZ are produced at Toei Animation.

and this is why I do not think there will be a crossover with Toriko x One piece with Naruto and Fairy Tail because Naruto and fairy tail are not produced at Toei Animation ... I'm not mistaken?
Old 2013-04-09, 14:05   Link #122
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke2007 View Post
Why Toriko? Is it that big in Japan?
for some reason, yes
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 04:05   Link #123
zori

Hi! I love One Piece and this is my first time here. I like how this arc tries to be new and fresh and exciting, but ends up drawing elements and ideas from a certain previous arc:
  1. Arriving on island not registered on a log pose
  2. A mysterious doctor (supposedly good but actually bad) running the island performing all these deviant experiments on people
  3. People with reconfigured attached body parts roaming the island
  4. One of those people calling for help from a mysterious swordsman cutting down everyone
Apart from all else, for me that last point just has the words 'Thriller Bark' written all over it. Now, I'm not saying Punk Hazard is another Thriller Bark but it definitely repeats many of the same ideas from the old arc.

I imagine when the creator writing the arc he was like, "These ideas sound really good" "They just work so well together", "How didn't I come up with this earlier?" "This story just writes itself..!" without realizing he's already used these same ideas together previously many arcs ago.

And I think over time with any anime series in general, you get to see the same ideas and themes being repeated as part of the author's own writing style. For example the parallels between the personalities Sasuke/Naruto with Kakashi/Obito, Orochimaru/Jiraiya, and Madara/Hashirama and so on in the manga Naruto. And here in One Piece, for example the idea of Luffy saving his friends in need (mostly his women) time and time again. Everyone from Nami, to princess Vivi, to Robin, to his brother Ace (failed), to Camie, to 'weaky' Shirahoshi.

Last edited by zori; 2013-04-12 at 05:11.
zori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 09:03   Link #124
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zori View Post
Hi! I love One Piece and this is my first time here. I like how this arc tries to be new and fresh and exciting, but ends up drawing elements and ideas from a certain previous arc:
  1. Arriving on island not registered on a log pose
  2. A mysterious doctor (supposedly good but actually bad) running the island performing all these deviant experiments on people
  3. People with reconfigured attached body parts roaming the island
  4. One of those people calling for help from a mysterious swordsman cutting down everyone
Apart from all else, for me that last point just has the words 'Thriller Bark' written all over it. Now, I'm not saying Punk Hazard is another Thriller Bark but it definitely repeats many of the same ideas from the old arc.

I imagine when the creator writing the arc he was like, "These ideas sound really good" "They just work so well together", "How didn't I come up with this earlier?" "This story just writes itself..!" without realizing he's already used these same ideas together previously many arcs ago.

And I think over time with any anime series in general, you get to see the same ideas and themes being repeated as part of the author's own writing style. For example the parallels between the personalities Sasuke/Naruto with Kakashi/Obito, Orochimaru/Jiraiya, and Madara/Hashirama and so on in the manga Naruto. And here in One Piece, for example the idea of Luffy saving his friends in need (mostly his women) time and time again. Everyone from Nami, to princess Vivi, to Robin, to his brother Ace (failed), to Camie, to 'weaky' Shirahoshi.
Oda knows what he is doing, if he made an arc using certain parameters then he did it purposely. And even if certain elements keep being used over and over again (they really aren't though) it's a damn good case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And I don't really see every arc as Luffy being focused on saving someone, those like that are actually few and far between. It's more often than not just an asshole being an asshole to everyone including Luffy which he doesn't like and ends up beating that asshole. Let's see...

East Blue Saga:
Orange Town Arc- Buggy was an idiot that was being an overall badguy and attacked Luffy and Zoro.
Syrup Village Arc- Kuro was an evil bastard that attacked Luffy.
Baratie Arc- Don attacked the restaurant.
Arlong Park Arc- This could be more or less be counted as a "rescue arc" though it was more of a "Go slap some sense into Nami" arc that changed into a "Go beat up the evil bastard that hurt my Nakama" arc. One of the first arcs where Luffy takes the initiative and goes after the bad guy first.
Loguetown Arc- Smoker, Buggy and Alvida were the ones that attacked Luffy.

Baroque Works Saga:
Reverse Mountain Arc- Vivi was the instigator.
Whiskey Peak Arc- Baroque Works members were the instigators.
Little Garden Arc- They come in...Baroque Works are assholes...they beat them up and leave.
Drum Island Arc- Yes, it started with Luffy trying to save Nami, but that changed a third into the arc into "Bad guy shows up and acts like a dick...so Luffy beats him up."
Alabasta Arc- The second arc till now where Luffy is the one that actually seeks to fight the main baddy, mainly due to Vivi's request. But there is no real rescue this arc.

Skypiea Saga:
Jaya Arc- It's pretty obvious Bellamy's the instigator...and the only rescue is of the old man's gold.
Skypiea Arc- This is more or less another arc where Luffy actively seeks to fight the big bad guy as Enel didn't directly attack Luffy and Co. but the moment he hurt the crew...oh boy. Nami needed some saving but Luffy just wanted to beat up Enel.

CP9 Saga:
Long Ring Long Land Arc- Foxy and Aokiji are the instigators, no rescue.
Water 7 Arc- Lot's of things happen...Luffy does attack the Franky Family due to them attacking Usopp and but they later get attacked by CP9.
Enies Lobby Arc- Now THIS was a rescue arc and the first PURE rescue arc where Luffy and Co's single purpose in the arc is rescuing someone.

Whitebeard War Saga:
Thriller Bark Arc- This was only partially a rescue arc with the shadows, but it was mostly just Moria and his crew being evil.
Sabaody Archipelago Arc- Yes, Keimi needed a lot of rescuing...but not the absolute main focus of the arc.
Amazon Lily Arc- Only a slight bit of rescue with Luffy trying to protect Marguerite.
Impel Down Arc to Marineford Arc- AAAAACCCCEEEEEEE...yes, the second PURE Rescue arc.

Fishman Island Arc- There was no real rescue to be done (aside from Neptune I guess) just Hodi being a little prick with a huge ego...and a giant ship trying to flatten everyone.

So yea...if anything most arcs just involve the bad guys either attacking the Strawhats and friends directly or being general dicks to the population. Only 3 arcs had a large "Luffy needs to rescue someone" feel.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 12:55   Link #125
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

So, I just saw the crossover special and I am an only English dubbed watcher when it comes to Dragon Ball Z so hearing the VAs in Jappanese sounds odd. I don't know about Toriko yet, I tried giving it a shot but the first couple of episodes are so boring in my opinion and I don't really like the main character cuz so far he just seems too perfect for me to like, I like main characters who make mistakes and have crazy personalitys and learn over time about what they can do, I'll try again but its hard for me.

I did find it funny how Gohan was one of the first few Z characters to get taken out by a fish??? The strongest none fused character goes out like thatXD Must be one heck of a fish, even stronger than Cell himself HA.

Another thing that annoyed me, Hercule...I know the guy loves him but to me hes always been one of the most annoying Z characters, him winning that tournament and having an ego like that doesn't help =/

I liked the interactions between the characters though, two perverts together was funny as heck, wonder why Sanji wasn't with them? Guess hes above them with that?

Piccolo being in third strongest group, good for him.

Over all, an ok episode. I'm not sure how a NarutoxOne Piece crossover would work like a lot seem to want? Or Fairy Tail for that matter? I'm not sure what Natsu would think of Luffy? I'm sure Luffy would be impressed with Natsu's attacks and being confused thinking Natsu was really a dragon :P

The others um, love triangle between Gray/Juvia/Sanji?? Lucy/Nami Friendship?? Maybe Robin/Erza being friends too? Zoro trying to cause fights with people who look strong?? Who knows.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 03:01   Link #126
UnklPetri

omg LOL--"can i see your panties?" "of course! do you have a camera?"
UnklPetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:08   Link #127
ookamigirl

Wish they'd get back to themselves already.
It was fun at first, but now it's starting to get kinda lame.
Those poor kids just can't catch a break...
Withdrawal symptoms were pretty brutal and dangerous.
The new info about the kids was interesting.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 19:09   Link #128
UnklPetri

they still have used their abilities *except when franky accidentally activated another of chopper's form
UnklPetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 23:26   Link #129
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
So, I just saw the crossover special and I am an only English dubbed watcher when it comes to Dragon Ball Z so hearing the VAs in Jappanese sounds odd. I don't know about Toriko yet, I tried giving it a shot but the first couple of episodes are so boring in my opinion and I don't really like the main character cuz so far he just seems too perfect for me to like, I like main characters who make mistakes and have crazy personalitys and learn over time about what they can do, I'll try again but its hard for me.

I did find it funny how Gohan was one of the first few Z characters to get taken out by a fish??? The strongest none fused character goes out like thatXD Must be one heck of a fish, even stronger than Cell himself HA.

Another thing that annoyed me, Hercule...I know the guy loves him but to me hes always been one of the most annoying Z characters, him winning that tournament and having an ego like that doesn't help =/

I liked the interactions between the characters though, two perverts together was funny as heck, wonder why Sanji wasn't with them? Guess hes above them with that?

Piccolo being in third strongest group, good for him.

Over all, an ok episode. I'm not sure how a NarutoxOne Piece crossover would work like a lot seem to want? Or Fairy Tail for that matter? I'm not sure what Natsu would think of Luffy? I'm sure Luffy would be impressed with Natsu's attacks and being confused thinking Natsu was really a dragon :P

The others um, love triangle between Gray/Juvia/Sanji?? Lucy/Nami Friendship?? Maybe Robin/Erza being friends too? Zoro trying to cause fights with people who look strong?? Who knows.
and this is why I do not think there will be a crossover with Toriko x One piece with Naruto and Fairy Tail because Naruto and fairy tail are not produced at Toei Animation ... I'm not mistaken?
Old 2013-04-15, 00:37   Link #130
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
You are correct.
Not to mention that the manga are published by different companies (unlike Dragonball, OP and Toriko).
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 01:15   Link #131
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I just see the episode and the new Opening my god.............. I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brief nico robin reaction for chopper's face by Francky so funny
Old 2013-04-18, 15:29   Link #132
mrShady

The pacing...... It's atrocious. It just doesn't move forward at all and for every scene with progress we get quadruple scenes that are just there to stall.
I can understand them wanting to not catch up with the manga but there should be a limit. It's ruining the arc.
mrShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 20:20   Link #133
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrShady View Post
The pacing...... It's atrocious. It just doesn't move forward at all and for every scene with progress we get quadruple scenes that are just there to stall.
I can understand them wanting to not catch up with the manga but there should be a limit. It's ruining the arc.
Yep the excitement of following OP anime has long gone.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 04:19   Link #134
janipani

^ for this reason I had to stop watching the anime. They are clearly underestimating their viewers.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 03:22   Link #135
ookamigirl

Episode 592

Just like it's the case with declining Naruto quality, I miss the beginnings of One Piece.
If I had to compare Naruto & One Piece.
Naruto is as good as dead, while One Piece is still hanging on.
Although the quality of it has declined when compared to the beginnings of this anime.
Maybe it's because they're at one place for too long in the story arcs.
I don't know, but it's just not as good as it was before..
Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-04-21, 15:40   Link #136
janipani

Well the problem is pace. Anime is too close to the manga. If they cared, they would take a brake with anime, and make seasons with less episodes than now. But with huge fanbase One Piece is having, they don't have to care, because the biggest fans will like whatever the quality is. They are just milking the money.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 07:48   Link #137
ookamigirl

Episode 593

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-04-28, 16:51   Link #138
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Well the problem is pace. Anime is too close to the manga. If they cared, they would take a brake with anime, and make seasons with less episodes than now. But with huge fanbase One Piece is having, they don't have to care, because the biggest fans will like whatever the quality is. They are just milking the money.
Yah, how long does it take for an anime to return though?
Bleach still isn't back and who knows when Fairy Tail will return.
Every time an anime takes a break, your not sure when they'll come back.
Could take years...

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 17:49   Link #139
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Yah, how long does it take for an anime to return though?
Bleach still isn't back and who knows when Fairy Tail will return.
Every time an anime takes a break, your not sure when they'll come back.
Could take years...
Yeah, but I still feel like it's worth doing. If a series has incredible popularity it's just a matter of when it returns. It's better to keep the quality and pacing up when the series is running then slowly killing the excitement with dragging things.

With Bleach, I don't think it needs to come back. Could have ended just before the arc they did end with and be fine.

It is unsettling to be sure. The Fairy Tail news had me uncertain since you just never know when it'll be back. But I would still rather dealing with that uncertainty than the painful pacing they are working with now. Are they seriously going to keep this up until the manga itself ends years in the future?
Old 2013-05-05, 00:44   Link #140
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Episode 594: Finally this episode. For me, this was the chapter in the manga after which Punk Hazard became way more interesting and exciting. Still, I'm hoping the anime paces accordingly, as so far each episode has progressed painfully slow. I would rather they have filler episodes than stretch out canon episodes.
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote