AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 02:30   Link #10081
Wolfenstein

Wow. This chapter was incredibly boring, for some reason.

And Medaka is a freakin' idiot.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 02:49   Link #10082
Soji

Wolfenstein@ You can say this again. She totally fall in the girl trap.
Although,I like Najimi part never thought to see her react this way.
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:18   Link #10083
summers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post

Probably because of all the word play. I dont get it, I know I am not going to get, so a flipped through really fast. Will never re-read this chapter.
summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:37   Link #10084
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

My god these scanlators... they get worse every week.
I suppose I shouldn't complain though.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:44   Link #10085
Sol Falling

lol, the rules are actually very simple. It's pretty much basic shiritori; like Momoko said, even a japanese elementary schooler could understand it. Most of Medaka's questions were spent on basic aspects of the japanese syllabary.

Anyway, Medaka's trick is that she's straight up stalling. That's my guess, anyway (although for what, I don't know). If you just think about how long it would take for four people to go through 45 syllables in four letter words each (i.e. 45 / 4 ~= 11 turns per player, * 4 hours/player = 44 hours), although it's unlikely to actually take that long, it's clear how unpractical Medaka's rule is.

edit:
Yeah, I think I counted at least 5 typos/errors this week. But oh well.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-07-22 at 04:58.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:54   Link #10086
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Regarding the game, the examples shown don't match what Momoko is saying, which is probably why people are confused.
Old 2012-07-22, 07:02   Link #10087
Homura7

It's just me or did Medaka piss her pants in the last page?
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 07:31   Link #10088
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Quote:
Regarding the game, the examples shown don't match what Momoko is saying, which is probably why people are confused.
Hm, I would appreciate it if you were a bit more specific so we could fix it.
We can't make progress if people withhold their feedback.

That said, I don't find this game all that confusing, Shiritori is a rather easy to understand game, and the spin they have is pretty novel.
They just took a long time going over possibly loop holes and details, which mean much less to us non-japanese speaking readers.

Last edited by Kurosu; 2012-07-22 at 08:18.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 09:28   Link #10089
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
I find it hilarious when people outright complain and then immediately say that "they suppose they shouldn't complain"...
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 11:55   Link #10090
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Hm, I would appreciate it if you were a bit more specific so we could fix it.
They mention how you can't use characters that were previously used (except the first character of each word), and yet the example shows ん being used multiple times, for instance. Maybe that's intentional, I don't know. If so I apologize regarding that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I find it hilarious when people outright complain and then immediately say that "they suppose they shouldn't complain"...
Stating a fact isn't complaining. When the first page has something as awkward a translation as "this word, we confuse you with our tongues", that's not complaining. That's just stating a fact.
Irregardless, as CXC is the only group with the patience to translate NisiOisiN's works, despite the fact that they have appear to have no idea how furigana is used in these kinds of manga, I feel as though I shouldn't complain about their poor and awkward translations.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:19   Link #10091
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Irregardless, as CXC is the only group with the patience to translate NisiOisiN's works, despite the fact that they have appear to have no idea how furigana is used in these kinds of manga, I feel as though I shouldn't complain about their poor and awkward translations.
That means nothing, complain all you want, no one's feelings are being hurt here. Though it could probably be done at a better place for it to be constructive (like the group's site),
lest it be something that's crucial to understanding it, which isn't exactly the case.

Anyway, onto the actual chapter. I kinda wonder why it would be so important for Medaka to gouge her eyes out? Maybe it's important to their plan?
Old 2012-07-22, 12:58   Link #10092
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Stating a fact isn't complaining. When the first page has something as awkward a translation as "this word, we confuse you with our tongues", that's not complaining. That's just stating a fact.
Please, spare me...that was complaining, intentional or not. Don't mask it as "stating facts" just because I called you on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
Anyway, onto the actual chapter. I kinda wonder why it would be so important for Medaka to gouge her eyes out? Maybe it's important to their plan?
Maybe it has something to do with The End. Then again it was never stated that Medaka needed to see the skill being used to copy it was it?
Old 2012-07-22, 13:15   Link #10093
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Well if eye gouging doesn't work, they decapitate Medaka altogether but then it wouldn't work as Medaka could utilize some All Fictin like power to regenerate herself or just get Kumagawa to it.
Old 2012-07-22, 13:36   Link #10094
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

It seems like she might have taken that into consideration already.
But it also seems like Momo is trying to play it all fair, which seems a bit suspicious.
Old 2012-07-22, 13:55   Link #10095
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I'd just let Ajimu slaughter everyone and save Zen :< stupid pride!
Old 2012-07-22, 15:15   Link #10096
Sol Falling

Err, decapitating Medaka wouldn't be downright stupid considering that ostensibly their goal is still to marry her. I do think Momoko asking Medaka to gouge her eyes out is related to The End.

The End is basically an observational ability. In order to model/perfect something, Medaka needs to have information about it. Now, certainly there might be other methods to obtain that information, i.e. Medaka's other senses or apparently just oral/literal communication via other people describing things, but in terms of sheer efficiency/immediacy of information gathering to use her skill, Medaka has thus far mostly been shown to rely on her eyesight.

So yeah, taking out Medaka's eyes should most certainly be a measure intended to constrain Medaka's power. Actually, if I remember right, a similar sort of situation came up in Katanagatari, when Ichika and Togame took on Ichika's sister, Nanami, who has pretty much the same/a similar ability as/to Medaka (perfect observation/ability copying). The strategy Togame came up with was to fight in a completely dark place, as thereby without the information available by seeing him, Nanami wouldn't be able to copy Ichika's abilities.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:57   Link #10097
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:

^ Agree. She's so smart that she has reverted to being dumb.

BTW, they keep acting outside of the rules and killing people (just Zenkichi really, ha!) and taking hostages .. and you still play by their rules? For serious? YOU DAFT!?
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:19   Link #10098
Last Carpet

Quote:

Well Duh.

This isn't her only moment of idiocy
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:28   Link #10099
Tenchi Hou Take

It's not even the fact that's she's playing by the rules is moronic. Fact of the matter is this pride stuff is bullshit. I don't care who you are, who in there right mind would purposefully put someone in danger let alone their loved onwa life just because they want to save them. Either she really wants to find out what happened to her father or her morality is fucked up.

Aijimu was a sure fire, near 100% success rate of saving Zenkichi, you don't risk someones life when there's a safer method that you know is safer just because of a personal pride. You can risk most things but not someone elses life. I wouldn't think to fondly of someone I was in a relationship with risking my life just so they can they can save and I'm pretty sure the feeling would be mutual.
It's not like most cases where the person actually believes they have a better chance of saving them e.g running into a burning buildings. She knows full well she's risking his life based on her pride.

Ofcourse this is all because of the story breaking god of hax that is aijimu and so the author had to turn Medaka into an idiot of questionable morality to keep this arc going but still this situation is so messed up. there better be another reason as to why she's doing this because as it stands, it's not simply a matter of being stupid. It's more dangerously almost messed up in the head.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:31   Link #10100
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
It's not even the fact that's she's playing by the rules is moronic. Fact of the matter is this pride stuff is bullshit. I don't care who you are, who in there right mind would purposefully put someone in danger let alone their loved onwa life just because they want to save them. Either she really wants to find out what happened to her father or her morality is fucked up.

Aijimu was a sure fire, near 100% success rate of saving Zenkichi, you don't risk someones life when there's a safer method because of a personal pride. You can risk most things but not someone elses life. I wouldn't think to fondly of someone I was in a relationship with risking my life just so they can they can save and I'm pretty sure the feeling would be mutual.
It's not like most cases where the person actually believes they have a better chance of saving them e.g running into a burning buildings.

Ofcourse this is all because of the story breaking god of hax that is aijimu and so the author had to turn Medaka into an idiot of questionable morality to keep this arc going but still this situation is so messed up.
She wants to be the one to save Zenkichi, because she's in love with him.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council