AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-12-16, 23:43   Link #781
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Also, I heard that Panzer 4 in this game is bad??? That's sad to hear.
It's closer to being mediocre. It's an average tank in just about every category unless you use the 10.5 cm howitzer.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 23:49   Link #782
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Hearing some of the older players say it, the Panzer IV was nerfed. Yeah, it's kind of underwhelming, even with the best gun.

Still not able to take advantage of the Sherman's hull down advantage, but the ability to depress its main gun waaaay down makes it excellent for poking out of ridges and sniping down valleys, something I have difficulty doing with the tanks of the German line.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2012-12-16 at 23:59.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 00:04   Link #783
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Didn't know M4 has hull down advantage. I always avoid getting hit inside this tank as much as possible. I love it, though, as it's pretty agile.
Old 2012-12-17, 00:31   Link #784
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Didn't know M4 has hull down advantage. I always avoid getting hit inside this tank as much as possible. I love it, though, as it's pretty agile.
Has to do I suppose with the fact that its default turret is in some ways actually MORE armored than its body. You can poke it out over slopes and reasonably expect not to be penetrated by tanks of the same tier. Add to this the very nice gun depression, and it's much better at doing peek-a-boo than, say, the Panzer IV. Can't speak much for the T-34 though...
Old 2012-12-17, 01:41   Link #785
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Hearing some of the older players say it, the Panzer IV was nerfed. Yeah, it's kind of underwhelming, even with the best gun.

Still not able to take advantage of the Sherman's hull down advantage, but the ability to depress its main gun waaaay down makes it excellent for poking out of ridges and sniping down valleys, something I have difficulty doing with the tanks of the German line.
It's definitely nerfed, but at the same time, it used to see tier 9s and tier 10s all the time back then too. The matchmaking got tightened a while back, so they took away some of the more fantasy guns, it seems. For example, the tier 6 T-34-85 lost the 100mm D-10T, which was the tier 8 T-44's best gun back then.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 01:44   Link #786
Gravitas Free Zone

The T-34 is pretty evenly-armored all the way around; the second turret has marginally more armor. However, all of its armor is sloped, so it bounces a lot of shots that would kill my PzIV.

The T-34's turret is pretty small from the front, though, so you have a decent chance of doing hull-down work with it.

I'm running the 75mm L/48 sniper loadout on my PzIV, since I don't trust myself derpgunning with that. If I stay behind the front line I can do a good amount of damage; the PzIV isn't perfect at hull-down, but isn't terrible either; the first turret is relatively narrow, and the second turret has somewhat-effective spaced armor.

As it is, well-designed hull-down turret or not, the best thing to do is reposition slightly after every shot, so you're not reappearing in the same location each time. (This applies to hull-down sniping, not peekaboo stuff around building corners.)

My T-34 is using the 57mm cannon, which is great for flanking attacks, offering a high rate of fire along with very good penetration ability.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 01:54   Link #787
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

So I acquired the KV-1 and broke its virginity today. I love this tank already.

Spoiler for Unbelievable first use!!:

- Tak (Game is so biased towards Russians, lol)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 02:13   Link #788
LeoXiao
思想工作

The KV-1 is slightly OP. It's really difficult to destroy with only T5 weapons.
And sometimes this happens:

Got < 1200 xp in my Type 62, killing an IS8, JagdTiger, and a T32, doing 900 dmg to the latter via ammorack. I also scouted a lot which helped my score greatly. Made 44k in profits.
Spoiler for space:
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 03:25   Link #789
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Every US tank from the Sherman on up tend to have turrets with good gun depression and more armour than the hull. Do familiarise yourself with hull-down tactics; it's going to be the bulk of your strategy with almost every US tank you play from this point.

A fair bit of warning though; get too used to the US tanks, and it's likely to spoil your experience with the other lines. More than once I've seen people running Tigers who complain about its poor gun depression compared to the US tanks they're more used to.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 03:56   Link #790
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
A fair bit of warning though; get too used to the US tanks, and it's likely to spoil your experience with the other lines. More than once I've seen people running Tigers who complain about its poor gun depression compared to the US tanks they're more used to.
I guess I made a right decision to play German tank first .
Old 2012-12-17, 04:49   Link #791
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

<- *spoiler US line player*

Having Churchills on my lineup, I kinda balk whenever I try to peek-a-boo with them over crests due to their poor gun depression. I want to be able to peek over a hill or so and let my enemies waste their shells on my 298mm of mantle armor

On the other hand, many urban maps are a bane for my US tanks due to lack of places to hulldown with, asides from reworked maps like the new Ruinberg. Himmelsdorf though is hulldown heaven

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 05:05   Link #792
Ascaloth

For myself, my favourite hulldown spots are the craters on the city streets of Ruinberg. They're somehow good enough that I can do hulldown with my IS-8.
Old 2012-12-17, 05:22   Link #793
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Hull down?

Also, I need to learn the maps again heh. Had a few good matches today, best was on Province ranging stuff from the ridge line. But found if I get to aggressive I get killed to quick. But hanging back I barely see any action.
Old 2012-12-17, 05:28   Link #794
Sumeragi
Banned

Hiding your hull, so your stronger turret takes most of the hits.
Old 2012-12-17, 05:31   Link #795
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Every US tank from the Sherman on up tend to have turrets with good gun depression and more armour than the hull. Do familiarise yourself with hull-down tactics; it's going to be the bulk of your strategy with almost every US tank you play from this point.
I only got used to hull down method once I obtained the T29 . Before that I found myself got pierced no matter where I got hit.
Old 2012-12-17, 05:40   Link #796
Ascaloth

I guess my next 'lesson', if and when I do decide to hold it, will be teaching tips on how to hull down.

I wonder what's a good map to demonstrate this...?
Old 2012-12-17, 05:43   Link #797
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

And this is why I love my Matilda:

Images
Waltzing Matilda
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I did just waltz solo on the east lane on Abbey and killed everything I saw there with no backup whatsoever. It was glorious.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 10:35   Link #798
willx
Nyaaan~~

Re: M4 Sherman -- That thing is a beast. It's not just the stats on it's turret armor that is impressive, it's that all the armor is VERY sloped. Even the front hull armor, as weak as it's supposed to be, is very sloped. You will almost never bounce a HEAT round off a Pz4's armor but maybe 1/5th - 1/6th of the time you'll bounce off the M4 if facing it frontally.

@LoweGear - Wow! That is IMPRESSIVE! I never liked the Matilda when I was moving up the Brit Heavy line. Impressive what you managed to do with it. At Tier 6 for both Heavy & Medium Brit lines and so far hate Churchill VII and absolutely LOVE Cromwell, even though I've had a series of losses (after winning all my first 5 games)

Reply hazy, ask again later
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 14:29   Link #799
Sumeragi
Banned

You know you're doing something wrong if your Panther has more Steel Walls than your Tiger despite having fought less battles.
Old 2012-12-17, 14:45   Link #800
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You know you're doing something wrong if your Panther has more Steel Walls than your Tiger despite having fought less battles.
Or you just have luck, and you should never trade luck for skill, ever.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks