AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think fo this effect lunar is using at their subs?
Yes! I like it ...Now I wont be spoiled! 5 50.00%
No! It's horrible I hate it .. no professional subber would ever consider using this. 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-04, 08:07   Link #1
daedalus6

Thumbs down Lunar speeds up but at what cost?

Ok so this is my honest opinion. But it is only a opinion. If it insults somebody then I am sorry but this is also something I need to say out loud. Because this really troubles me.

I think once one of my most respected fansub-group Lunar has taken the "dark" road. They make their subs REALLY fast but the quality of translations and even effects really suffer. I dont actually mind this so much. I realise that this is Free so I dont want to be a complainer. Thanks for all the fansubs I really feel like I "owe" you some.

But what I would like to message to you lunar is that; I dont know the name of this effect (which im about to describe) but please for heavens sake STOP using it! Not one professional sub has this effect at the magnitude you are using it. Its just plain annoying and actually really bad for the sake of following the anime.

I can see this really often in Lunar subs.

"Will you... marry me... please?"

So whats up with this. I would think that making the text come out in 2 or three parts is more work than the normal that one text just comes out once and thats it.

It's really hard to read these subs because I have to constantly look at the subs Will there be more text? before it changes again? (I dont know. ...sometimes i even miss a part of the text or miss sómething really important because I pay too much attention to the texts.

Do you use this so that you wont spoil the fans (of what will happen in secound)? Thats just ridiculous!! I haven seen this used in any dvd:s or in tv and I have watched a LOT of subbed programs.!

Please tell me what this effect is called and also stop using it...

What do you think (random anime fan) is this really a good effect?

Im sorry about my english im not native English speaker.
Old 2004-02-04, 08:41   Link #2
GipFace

My $0.02.

I personally don't like that sub style, but there are some people who prefer it ...

It's prolly not the TL at fault, but rather the editing ...
Old 2004-02-04, 08:48   Link #3
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus6
Please tell me what this effect is called and also stop using it...
What do you think (random anime fan) is this really a good effect?
This effect doesnt really have a name. It is only good when used properly (Which is about 1-2 subs per/episode max on average). Otherwise its just annoying.
Old 2004-02-04, 11:26   Link #4
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Whats is with those loaded polls thses days? If it would have been a "I don't like it" or something similar I might have considered to vote, but I am definitely not going to vote for "No! It's horrible I hate it .. no professional subber would ever consider using this."

IMHO those options would have been more appropriate:
Yes, I like it
It's OK if used once in a while
<-- my vote if those options would have been available
No, I dont like it
I don't care
Old 2004-02-04, 12:03   Link #5
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
That's called a lazy/rushed timer.

"Will you... marry me... please?"

It really depends on over what period of time this line is set over. But overall, it's easier to sub this 3 piece of dialog (if they are 3) as one sub. You do this a load of times per episode and you're shaving off minute in timing. I usely try to split up lines like that, as long as it doesn't effect readability, but then again I spend HOURS over my job (timer/editor) and more likely to idle on Irc the more you tell me to rush :P

And let's not get into profesional subs. Half the sub groups subbing anime actually bother to check for scene bleeds, I've only ever seen one R1 DVD that has done that - Last Exile. Every other DVD I've seen does stupid things with timing.... Last Exile V1 is the only R1 Anime DVD I've ever seen with good timing...
Old 2004-02-04, 12:37   Link #6
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
Using the ellipse effect may have to occur more then just a few times in a show depending on the sort of emotion that is trying to be conveyed at that particular moment in time.

However with that example, only a single ellipse would have suffice since in English that effect would be more like...

"Will you marry me... please?"

There's nothing wrong with ellipses, it's just some people make some mistakes in deciding upon either one or two ellipses in some circumstances.

And by the way, Lunar and any other fansub group for that matter can sub in the way that you want.

Quote:
Not one professional sub has this effect at the magnitude you are using it. Its just plain annoying and actually really bad for the sake of following the anime.
You can't say that for sure, I can guarantee you have not seen every single professional sub in history. And by the way, by default Fansub groups are not professional. Professional would be classed as the translating as done by ADV for instance and the subtitles they provide on their DVD's.

Fansub groups themselves are for the most part, very high quality - The term professional does not imply although in most cases they are higher then the current "professional" standard.

If you don't like it, stop watching their subs.
Old 2004-02-04, 12:46   Link #7
sothis

lunar already proved they can release crappy quality episodes when they pumped out KGnE... this shouldn't be a surprise.
Old 2004-02-04, 13:06   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Personally, if it's used sparingly and for effect, I think it can add to the drama of a scene. They did this a little in one of the recent Maburaho episodes, and I personally thought it worked really well in that case.

One of my personal pet peeves about subs in general is when the subs don't line up in any way, shape, or form with the words being spoken. For example, in a long phrase, sometimes the English translation "reverses" the phrase pattern entirely, and they split it into two sub parts, so if you're listening to what they're saying (and can understand it a bit), and reading what's on screen at the same time, you get totally confused. In my opinion, if doing this "elipse" thing *occasionally* and when it's appropriate will help alleviate mismatched sentence structures, that's okay by me. Then again, I may be the only one who is bothered by this... who knows...

So yeah, anyways, bottom line for my opinion is that it's okay if it's used sparingly and appropriately.
Old 2004-02-04, 13:07   Link #9
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus6
But what I would like to message to you lunar is that; I dont know the name of this effect (which im about to describe) but please for heavens sake STOP using it! Not one professional sub has this effect at the magnitude you are using it. Its just plain annoying and actually really bad for the sake of following the anime.
Well, first off, fansubs are NOT professional subs. They aren't paid to sub it, you know. Secondly, it's really just a matter of preference. I personally don't find anything wrong with it, but it seems like some people have differing levels of tolerance.
Old 2004-02-04, 13:58   Link #10
outlaw55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis
lunar already proved they can release crappy quality episodes when they pumped out KGnE... this shouldn't be a surprise.
umm...when you make a statement it would be good to BACK it up...or CAN you.....>.>

Also, I personally find groups that forget to friggin DEINTERLACE a video that needs it a BIT more of an eyesore...
Old 2004-02-04, 14:33   Link #11
DekaMaster
Banned

Threads like this are usless all they are are bait for people to whine about fansub groups,and for other crap to start.
Old 2004-02-04, 15:04   Link #12
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw55
Also, I personally find groups that forget to friggin DEINTERLACE a video that needs it a BIT more of an eyesore...
Heh. Fancy naming and shaming?
Old 2004-02-04, 15:22   Link #13
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

That kind of topic seems to be an excuse for people to criticize fansubs group and I'm afraid this would probably cause some flaming in the futur...
That's why I'm closing this thread.
But please remember, fansub groups are fansubbing for free for us anime fans, and the fact that we can understand is already so great that I really think those trivial matters don't need to be pointed out.