AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2019-11-27, 15:55   Link #1
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Shikkaku kara Hajimeru Nariagari Madoushi ! ~ Jumon Kaihatsu Tokidoki Senki ~

Original Title : 失格から始める成り上がり魔導師道!~呪文開発ときどき戦記~ (Shikkaku kara Hajimeru Nariagari Madoushi ! ~ Jumon Kaihatsu Tokidoki Senki ~)
Author : Hanakara Gyuuniku/Hitsuji Gamei
Length : 0.69 Million Japanese Characters (06/09/2020)
Web Novel : Syosetsu
Images
Cover
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler for Synopsis:

Spoiler for FAQ:

From Isekai Mahou author. So yeah, you can guess, it's mainly about magic. Contrary to all the Narou works that are about chantless magic, this novel is all about the spells. Words are power. So if you want something with some thoughts given to the magic system, I recommend it.
Next is the MC. In term of power he's average. Like said in the synopsis, his mana reserve is average, and the average isn't much actually. Also, you can't improve your mana reserve (or at least no way was found yet). So the novel is all about MC creating magics using little mana.

Last edited by Rinvelt; 2020-09-06 at 04:29.
Rinvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-27, 16:38   Link #2
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

From Isekai Mahou author? Yeah, this warrants a read.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-27, 17:44   Link #3
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

The MC and that girl on the cover look way too similar to a certain hetare runaway and his yandere little sister....
Old 2019-11-27, 17:59   Link #4
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Yeah, thought the same when I saw the cover.
Old 2019-11-27, 22:51   Link #5
wuhugm
Confused Shark

So he can just teach his magics to everyone else
And everyone else will be stronger than him lol
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-28, 04:09   Link #6
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^He can for some, but not all. While magic is based on words, you need to know the phenomenon it's based on. So the magics using guns as their basis can't be used by others.
Another example is the magic of the Royalty. It's Thunder Magic. But because people in this world don't understand the phenomenom of thunder, only the Royalty (which likely know it because they use it) can. And well, if the MC learnt the spell he should be able too, though it most likely is costly in term of mana.
Old 2019-11-28, 04:22   Link #7
zztop

^Any major/interesting plot developments so far?

PS. I heard author started this series while waiting for Overlap to start publishing Isekai Mahou again...
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-28, 04:44   Link #8
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Not "again", he started when the thing with vol 9 happened.

In recent chapters:
Spoiler:
Old 2019-11-28, 08:40   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinvelt View Post
^He can for some, but not all. While magic is based on words, you need to know the phenomenon it's based on. So the magics using guns as their basis can't be used by others.
Another example is the magic of the Royalty. It's Thunder Magic. But because people in this world don't understand the phenomenom of thunder, only the Royalty (which likely know it because they use it) can. And well, if the MC learnt the spell he should be able too, though it most likely is costly in term of mana.
Explain then, lol~
These japanese look down on isekai people intelligence too much

use explosion to propel object, see, that wasn't too difficult, right?

Anyway gun magic is dumb, just move object to extreme speed, like really fast arrow or throwing stone. Those things do exist here, right? lol
Old 2019-11-28, 08:47   Link #10
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Magic doesn't use explosion when imitating guns. Just the principle of a bullet flying at high speed.
In recent chapters there was an explanation that Mages have a law called Falcon Flying Down Law. The law says that you can't create a magic faster than a falcon flying down to catch his prey because that's the fastest thing in this world. (they don't have things going at the speed of sound, and don't know about thunder and speed of light)

He doesn't look down on them. He actually shares his magics. Just that other people can't use some of them.

Also MC isn't Japanese. He has memories of a Japanese guy, but he's his own person. He thinks of himself as Arks, and the Japanese guy as "that man" (we don't even know his name).
Old 2019-11-28, 08:53   Link #11
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Author is Japanese so he can claim himself martian for all I care but he's still Japanese anyway

Quote:
In recent chapters there was an explanation that Mages have a law called Falcon Flying Down Law. The law says that you can't create a magic faster than a falcon flying down to catch his prey because that's the fastest thing in this world.
Okay, this is backward in different sense than Okureteru
Just like in his previous work, the isekai behaves in weird way so not going to question the logic no more

Wanna read but can't count on this author for romance
Old 2019-11-28, 21:34   Link #12
DanielSong39

So the girl is not his imouto?

A bit disappointed but a cute waifu is a good consolation prize
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 08:22   Link #13
guyy

I read this within a few days, I liked it. Chapter 95 also felt like a decent "cliff hanger" ending for a book so I feel fine just leaving it there and coming back to it a lot later.

The magic system is well thought out in a way that I like. As in, the MC gets a big boost for modern knowledge and imagination while still being limited by the magic system itself in a way that doesn't make it feel like he is retarded, or is not exploring all possibilites.

The magic is basically created by deciphering ancient books written in the magic language, similar to the bible for example, to find the meaning of words, and then building a spell out of them, with a matching imagination for it's effect. People are unable to properly imagine things they haven't seen or things they don't understand, but still imagination is the limit. The MC understands the mechanism of a gun and how the explosion can push the bullet fast, so he emulates that with his spells. In addition to the pistol which does make a bang sound, he has a minigun spell which spins while making the spinning sound, that actually makes his arm so hot he can't use it for long. So I think it's more than "Just the principle of a bullet flying at high speed." The people of the world don't really even understand what an explosion is so they can't use it or imagine how an object could gain such speed. A little bit like for us, though we understand the concept of "speed of light", I don't think anyone can really imagine an object flying at that speed. It's not like you cast the spell by setting a numerical speed for the object in your head. But if there was a mechanism you understood, which caused an object to reach the speed of light, you could probably make it into a spell. If the MC understood a railgun I imagine he could still make a faster bullet than what the pistol spell shoots

The magic system is like, basically, if the bible was a magic book, and from it you figured out the phrase: "And God said: 'Let there be light.' And there was light." you could use the phrase(s) or the world "light" itself as part of your spell to create light, as long as you find matching words of the right strength to further balance the spell and designate the target and effect etc. etc. Other example would be summoning one of the four horsemen to ride and kill your enemies... ofc the actual bible isn't there, but that's how the magic system works. I find it pretty cool.

Last edited by guyy; 2019-12-03 at 08:53.
guyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-06, 04:02   Link #14
zztop

Browsing through the WN, I wonder why the prince is always wearing a mask and full-length clothes.

Maybe the "prince" is actually a princess, the mysterious Suu who keeps visiting Arks.
Old 2020-09-06, 04:26   Link #15
Rinvelt
駄目人間

It's heavily implied that it's Suu, and that the family name that Suu uses is a fake noble house used to hide the true identity of the Impreial house members until they take the throne.
Old 2020-09-06, 05:38   Link #16
tsunade666

whose the girl beside him? is she his sister? I was slightly interested when you link it from isekai mahou but this is not being translated. what's the arc/plot about? prince? what's happening in this story?
Old 2020-09-06, 05:45   Link #17
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^She's his cousin. His parents adopted her because her parents died, and they made her the true heir after finding out about Arks small mana reserve.

The plot is basically Arks studying magic and trying to become stronger with his small mana reserve. Then later politics come in, he meets the imperial prince and decide to serve him.
Old 2020-09-06, 11:09   Link #18
zztop

Quote:
^She's his cousin. His parents adopted her because her parents died, and they made her the true heir after finding out about Arks small mana reserve.

The plot is basically Arks studying magic and trying to become stronger with his small mana reserve. Then later politics come in, he meets the imperial prince and decide to serve him.
Speaking of Ark's parents, I was almost expecting them to be recurring antagonists getting in the way of his efforts (like the evil family members in some Korean/Chinese webtoons).
Instead they don't appear very much, and have largely left Arks to his own devices (we get random corrupt nobles as villains of the week iirc...)

Btw Arks still wants to show them up in the very long term, correct?

Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by zztop; 2020-09-06 at 20:33.
Old 2020-09-06, 12:06   Link #19
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^It was his main goal at first, but now it's something that he'll do while proving himself useful to the prince.
Old 2020-10-10, 10:59   Link #20
zztop

J Novel Club will translate the LN version of Shikkaku Kara Hajimeru under the title
The Magician Who Rose From Failure: Tales of War and Magic.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...elease/.165039