AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-01, 04:20   Link #1061
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeor View Post
When I watched Watanagashi-hen and Onikakushi-hen in school at night, I was so scared; Higurashi can be scarier than real-life horror movies some times
I was actually never scared the only scene that was gross was the nail stripping (dont know if it should be wrote like that but my english is not the best)
Old 2009-02-01, 05:24   Link #1062
unasuvas
Follower of Lambdadelta

This thread is getting so off-topic so fast (and plus, I feel so old seeing all these cute kids here )

So I've been practicing my manga coloring and I wanna see what you guys think.
Any constructive criticism would be great. I still need to work on shading and light sources and such. ;A;

Spoiler for Shannon:

Spoiler for Jessica:

Spoiler for Eva:

Spoiler for Beato:

I made icons out of these and you can find them here.
Old 2009-02-01, 09:26   Link #1063
Ace of Dragons
AKA Squirrel

The colored panels looks really good. I'm not sure whether or not I'm right, but for constructive criticism, would the clothing cast any shadows?

Also, do you have any pictures (doesn't have to be in color) that show more of Beato in the manga (like the rest of her head (and/or her body)? Have the Stakes or Bern-chan appeared yet?
Old 2009-02-01, 12:12   Link #1064
kiki_natsumi-chan
Battler follower

Send a message via MSN to kiki_natsumi-chan
I'm really sorry for asking again, but can anyone post a sprite of Maria (Not in the witch dress), please?
Old 2009-02-01, 16:37   Link #1065
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

OTZ for any repeats. Just picking out the things I've randomly uploaded already.
Spoiler for Been a while since I've criticized someone else's art stuff other than my own.:
Not like I know anything. Soft style and cell shading were never my forte. I feel like they're the hardest for me, in all honesty, but that could be my anal tendencies kicking in. And it's been years since I've done any of my own art. Only thing I've recently coloured in years was that Fate picture for ISML and the shadows on the dress still piss me off. Sigh, sigh.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2009-02-01, 20:36   Link #1066
Haruyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unasuvas View Post
This thread is getting so off-topic so fast (and plus, I feel so old seeing all these cute kids here )

So I've been practicing my manga coloring and I wanna see what you guys think.
Any constructive criticism would be great. I still need to work on shading and light sources and such. ;A;

Spoiler for Shannon:

1) The first picture looks okay, colorwise. But the dots in her hair make it look pixelated and grainy. I'm not sure if you were trying for a texture but they don't fit with the softness of the picture. If they're part of the original picture you should erase them or blur them.

2) Did you add the butterfly? You should try doing something with it, it's too bold and it clashes with the soft colors. I like the coloring you put in the background though.

3) Not much to say, I like the little blush detail on Shannon's cheek, it brings out the picture.

Spoiler for Jessica:

I can understand why you colored her eyes like that, a similar effect has been used in other animes when the character is surprised, but her hair is so bland! It makes the whole picture look washed out, you can go ahead and try a bolder color.

Spoiler for Eva:

I think you did well coloring her eye blue, but same with Jessica, her hair looks too bland and her skin color looks a bit sickly.

Spoiler for Beato:

1) You left the tones alone, but if you're going for a soft coloring you should erase them.

2) The tone on Beato's cheek (that I'm assuming it's supposed to be a little blush) you should erase it too, it doesn't go with the picture.

I made icons out of these and you can find them here.
Yeah, sorry if I was a bit too harsh, I didn't mean it, overall you colored them pretty good, but they could be better
Old 2009-02-01, 21:15   Link #1067
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I've been wondering... does anybody have a full view picture of Ange in her second outfit? I've been curious to see what the sprite looks like...

Old 2009-02-01, 21:41   Link #1068
natyo2

Send a message via MSN to natyo2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki_natsumi-chan
I'm really sorry for asking again, but can anyone post a sprite of Maria (Not in the witch dress), please?
Old 2009-02-01, 22:06   Link #1069
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Spoiler for Been a while since I've criticized someone else's art stuff other than my own.:
Not like I know anything. Soft style and cell shading were never my forte. I feel like they're the hardest for me, in all honesty, but that could be my anal tendencies kicking in. And it's been years since I've done any of my own art. Only thing I've recently coloured in years was that Fate picture for ISML and the shadows on the dress still piss me off. Sigh, sigh.
Spoiler for offtopic?:

I'm not wanting to make this post an completly off topic, so here one new image that I've found

Last edited by Nabiki Asakura; 2009-02-01 at 22:25.
Old 2009-02-01, 22:47   Link #1070
unasuvas
Follower of Lambdadelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Dragons View Post
The colored panels looks really good. I'm not sure whether or not I'm right, but for constructive criticism, would the clothing cast any shadows?

Also, do you have any pictures (doesn't have to be in color) that show more of Beato in the manga (like the rest of her head (and/or her body)? Have the Stakes or Bern-chan appeared yet?
Yes, you're right, the clothing does cast shadow and I tried doing that on some panels, but like I said, I'm still working on it

Bern and the Stakes haven't appeared in the manga yet. Beato has a lot of appearances in the EP02 manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
1) I don't know if it was your intention to show the pixels through, but it makes it look weird, in my opinion. Don't know if you were trying to go for a watercolour canvas effect, but it makes the highlights look.... bland? The colour for the highlights makes me feel queasy for some reason, too.
2) Nothing looks too bad. I just think the harsh colouring for the shadow and the not so harsh highlights don't mash up.
3) Same thing with the hair in this one. Did you forget to shade the eyes? They look flat. White is always a tricky thing to shade, but it looks good. I think you should have used blue instead of violet because there's already a lot of red.

Eh, the colours of the shadow make me think she's sick or something. It just feels like you used the burn tool. You could flesh out the colours in the hair more by adding more layers of shadows/highlights. Everything just looks blurred? Like the eyes? No, hmm, I guess I'm just used to seeing eyes like that being one flat colour.

She.... looks really pale. Was she always this pale? Ahh, I think if you made the shadows in her hair darker, maybe the yellow bits in her outfit....

Hurr, I don't know if you forgot to shade the hair piece or the cookie. The halftones Beato's cheek in the second Beato picture look out of place. Actually, the shadow from her neck looks off where the cookie is, like it wasn't entirely coloured in.

- I'm not a fan of colouring manga pages unless you're removing a good chunk of the halftones, the black shadows, and such. If I see harsh shadows with colours, I'll tend to think the rest of the picture should be like that. I've seen some styles where not doing that has worked. I think they were mostly paintery. Or they just added texture to the image at the end.
- Overall, everything just feels too blurred together. I think you were trying to go for soft style shading, right? Oh, and most of the skin colour feels.... dead? Unnatural? They just feel all cold to me for some reason. I think you went too pale/red/maybe even blue and didn't add enough yellow/orange. Could be my monitor. Skin tones are difficult anyway.[/spoiler]Not like I know anything. Soft style and cell shading were never my forte. I feel like they're the hardest for me, in all honesty, but that could be my anal tendencies kicking in. And it's been years since I've done any of my own art. Only thing I've recently coloured in years was that Fate picture for ISML and the shadows on the dress still piss me off. Sigh, sigh.
Thank you for the in-depth crit. I'm still not good enough to know how to remove screentones but I have considered trying it out.

As for the colors I used, I will try out using different shading/highlighting colors other than purple/light blue (respectively). I like using that combination becomes it generally comes out well when I add in some Selective Coloring Layers (That sounds like something a novice would say, right? )

Same goes with the skin tone. For me, it all looks better when I size it down to icon size and add Selective Coloring but to be good, the coloring has to look nice even without SC, right?

Yeah, I was going for the soft style shading but I guess gratuitous use of Gaussian Blur ruined it (actually I only used it for shading the skin, but stilll...). I am trying out the 'blocky' style of coloring (you can find some examples here; concrit on that is welcome too) but I generally switch between that and soft shading. I can't decide which I prefer more.

Once again, thanks for the concrit. This is the best way I can try to improve~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
Spoiler for offtopic?:
It's okay, onee-san. You don't have to defend me (b-but thank you for your concern <3 <3 <3).
I did ask for constructive criticism and this way, I'll learn how to improve~
Old 2009-02-01, 23:02   Link #1071
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Spoiler:

Btw, since Unasuvas posted it here, I want to talk about... HOW UGLY IS BEATO IN THE SECOND EPISODE! No, really, the art itself is ugly, but beato...she looks like a man o_o"
..run, Battler, she's not what you're thinking...

Old 2009-02-01, 23:36   Link #1072
kiki_natsumi-chan
Battler follower

Send a message via MSN to kiki_natsumi-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
Btw, since Unasuvas posted it here, I want to talk about... HOW UGLY IS BEATO IN THE SECOND EPISODE! No, really, the art itself is ugly, but beato...she looks like a man o_o"
..run, Battler, she's not what you're thinking...
I think Unasuvas colors wonderfully, and it's pretty hard coloring manga...I've tried...I've failed xD

And Beato does look ugly...actually more like...they exaggerated a bit too much with her expressions...or at least that's my opinion.
Same with Eva. She was pretty evil-like in some parts...but isn't that an exaggeration?
Although I like how George looks. ^^
Though....I'm afraid of how Battler will be drawn like... ·_·''

Spoiler for To save space:

So it doesn't become completely off-topic
Old 2009-02-02, 08:38   Link #1073
Scarlet0

=D Joined just to post~

Are there any Beato x Virgillia drawings? *cough* like the pairing~

If not I'll draw some myself =o and post it.. x3 if it's any good.. ha ha~
Old 2009-02-02, 09:00   Link #1074
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Let me ask something, a little strange, but it's ok...

BS2B

or

BS2A

?

I'm just trying to figure something that I was talking about with a friend...

Old 2009-02-02, 09:03   Link #1075
Beato
The Endless Witch

Ahaha sure... BeatoxBattler!!!
Old 2009-02-02, 09:11   Link #1076
Risa chan
Watcher

i like Battler X Anje
Spoiler for ep3:
Old 2009-02-02, 09:33   Link #1077
paula_mink
Gohda Pride +1

I like Ange and Battler too
Its sound weird because they are brother and sister...
Ah, It can't be helped

Old 2009-02-02, 10:31   Link #1078
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
AngeXBattler happens only because Battler was nice to lolis XD
That teaches us all; Be good to your loli sisters XDDDDDD

And also, it's fine because they are not entirely related, maybe it's tolerable in Japan?
Old 2009-02-02, 12:14   Link #1079
Mystearika

for me it is beato+ battler. it is just never boring when these two are together

for not doing it offtopic here is my own fanart of natsuhi and jessica

Last edited by Mystearika; 2009-02-02 at 12:28.
Old 2009-02-02, 17:33   Link #1080
anorae

Send a message via AIM to anorae
Heyy, it's my first time posting here, so I'm sorry if there's repeats.
Spoiler for Kanon:

Spoiler for Jessica:

Spoiler for Kanon + Jessica:

Spoiler for Eva-Beatrice:
Closed Thread